Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

homercles
Feb 14, 2010

I hope the remaining dragon has some frog DNA in it so it can switch genders and impregnate itself.

This show has dragons, titties, but no dragon titties? Shameful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Drunken Baker posted:

I had a good 2 hour talk with a friend in the pub the other day about this show. I said I though it had gone to poo poo whilst he was just happy things were happening. (Literally that Stewart Lee gag "Is it entertainment? I don't know... but something happened.) Though ultimately I'm enjoying it for the poo poo-show and he's just enjoying it.

Posted online that I though the show had gone downhill and 2 people blocked me on Facebook and I've been getting called alt-right and a misogynist. Because if there's one thing I hate more than bad writing, directing and acting... it's women? LoL. People online are weirdos.

Also has anyone else noticed this trend with people who vehemently defend the show?

Even our very forums are full of people posting huge 'by the way I'm not a Nazi' disclaimers before daring to go against the majority view.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Der Shovel posted:

This season is bad, but this last episode was HORRIBLE.

The basic ideas themselves aren't terrible, but the execution is, and to me the mental image of Euron grinning at the loving gunner's seat of his fully automatic ballista as he noscope-360-MLG-PRO-headshots the dragon was just everything distilled into a perfect platonic moment of horrible poo poo.

Like Elevator Screamer says, there are a billion better ways to accomplish what they wanted here (Dany loses a dragon) without it feeling like ... I dunno, it immediately made me think of those bullshit RPG campaigns I had as a kid where the dungeon master was just a hostile little poo poo who lived only to foil the players' plans simply by going "nuh huh, the sheriff's henchman somehow perfectly knew what you were planning and has the perfect counter for it" without bothering to put any effort into it.

Just off the top of my head, if you wanted a better way to accomplish the same scene, how about this:

The Iron Fleet is moving in to block Dany's fleet from getting close to King's Landing, as should have been expected by everyone. This does not bother Dany because they have the dragons, the magic fleet killing weapons and is all according to plan. The fight begins and Dany starts to strafe the Iron Fleet with the dragons, blowing up some ships. But oh no, because she was rash and too hasty, the green dragon hasn't fully healed yet and is so slow in the air it's hit in the crossfire / Dany gets too into burning ships and stays hovering above the Iron Fleet for too long, allowing some ballista guy to actually hit the dragon and kill it.

It's just lazy and stupid writing, and as pedantic as these complaints might sound, this kind of poo poo immediately ruins my suspension of disbelief. As someone said, this is backwards writing: the writers wanted outcome X and because they are hacks and only have six episodes to work with they went with the quickest, easiest, dumbest solutions. Everything feels rushed and so god drat stupid.

exactly, it's like five minutes of thought away from something that's a little hacky but basically fine, but they couldn't be bothered to spend the five minutes

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Drunken Baker posted:

It looked to me like all the zombies were just trying to kill everyone and they wanted a scene where Jon faces down against a dragon. And the person who made this argument to me was specifically saying the Dragon was just trying to keep Jon away too, not kill him. Just... inconvenience him? Sorry, I should have made that clearer.

it's like how brans ravens apparently drew in the NK, i can see the dragon being used to hold jon off, but it wasn't very well communicated.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Strategic Tea posted:

Even our very forums are full of people posting huge 'by the way I'm not a Nazi' disclaimers before daring to go against the majority view.

Which is super dumb. Unless you say you are a nazi you... you aren't a nazi.

I've had a couple freakouts at me and got banned from an FB group because I said Sansa should have been dead ages ago because she's a STRONG WOMEN or whatever. Except she's not. She's just an idiot who should have been dog food after popping out an heir or two.

Speaking of, I honestly wonder if she's infertile. Supposedly Ramsay slammed it to her every night but she's not pregnant? She never got pregnant? Was she taking pennyroyal the whole time? Because surely Ramsay would have noticed that poo poo and hung the maester or whatever out to dry, right? Even back then the timelines were kinda confusing and I'm still not really sure how long Sansa was in Ramsay's possession.

And if she is and the spoilers are true, does that mean Bran is going to somehow knock up someone? Because otherwise the Starks are a dead house, too.

I hope we get a Harry Potter 7 part 2 ending. "15 years later" and everyone's in bad makeup and poo poo.

E: If you want to kill a dragon, it's super not hard to kill Rhaegal during The Long Night. Have him go down a champion protecting Dany until Jorah gets there while Drogon is shaking off zombies. Or have him die protecting Jon from Viserion. Both of those give you sufficient time to not have to resurrect another ice dragon and it gives Dany more reason to yell about not being reciprocated by the north.

Fluffy Bunnies fucked around with this message at 12:51 on May 7, 2019

homercles
Feb 14, 2010

What exactly are a bunch of birds going to do to the Night King? He had the high ground. He should be immune to mosquitoes and other irritations, he has a goddamn ice dragon. All he has to do is chill and resurrect every hour or so once the fighting begins. This show is filled with own goals, over and over.

Also:

uber_stoat posted:

it's because it's Her Turn.

this is horrible. why would you do this

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

I can't wait for whatever it is because it's just going to be biggest most colossal pile of trash imaginable and it will be amazing.

Bran storyline looking strong.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

homercles posted:

What exactly are a bunch of birds going to do to the Night King?

That's one I saw and though back to the show and kiiinda pieced it together. Like you say, really poorly conveyed. Maybe I am wrong about the dragon thing too, in which case fair enough. I take that back, I just didn't get it.

Strategic Tea posted:

All I'm saying is none of this would have happened if they built a wa- oh... ooooh.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

That’s... not how words work

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I've had a couple freakouts at me and got banned from an FB group because I said Sansa should have been dead ages ago because she's a STRONG WOMEN or whatever. Except she's not. She's just an idiot who should have been dog food after popping out an heir or two.

Speaking of, I honestly wonder if she's infertile. Supposedly Ramsay slammed it to her every night but she's not pregnant? She never got pregnant? Was she taking pennyroyal the whole time? Because surely Ramsay would have noticed that poo poo and hung the maester or whatever out to dry, right? Even back then the timelines were kinda confusing and I'm still not really sure how long Sansa was in Ramsay's possession.

I can’t possibly fathom why u would be called a nazi and a misogynist

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
You know... the more I hear about this Night King character the more I dislike the guy. I tell you, I think someone should go over there and kill him!

Wait, he's dead? I didn't even know he was sick!

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
Jon: "Before we go, is there anything important we should know, Bran? Like is Euron going to ambush Dany's fleet again?"

Bran: *Currently warged into the girl getting slammed by Pod*

Jon: "...Bran?"

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

How does Bran know things that happen in the past? They need to happen in view of weir wood trees right ?

How did he hear the chaos is a ladder quote? Oh right there I go thinking again.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Regarding Pod the Rod, I remember some turbulence about his junk back in the day. The wise amongst us realised his dong was the real prince that was promised and others, jealous of his majesty, argued that Tyrion paid off the concubines to simply say he was good at fukkin' in order to bolster his confidence.

Where do YOU stand?

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

yikes

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

Jon: "Before we go, is there anything important we should know, Bran? Like is Euron going to ambush Dany's fleet again?"

Bran: *Currently warged into the girl getting slammed by Pod*

Jon: "...Bran?"

Lol

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay dog house

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

And if she is and the spoilers are true, does that mean Bran is going to somehow knock up someone? Because otherwise the Starks are a dead house, too.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Der Shovel posted:

This season is bad, but this last episode was HORRIBLE.

The basic ideas themselves aren't terrible, but the execution is, and to me the mental image of Euron grinning at the loving gunner's seat of his fully automatic ballista as he noscope-360-MLG-PRO-headshots the dragon was just everything distilled into a perfect platonic moment of horrible poo poo.

Like Elevator Screamer says, there are a billion better ways to accomplish what they wanted here (Dany loses a dragon) without it feeling like ... I dunno, it immediately made me think of those bullshit RPG campaigns I had as a kid where the dungeon master was just a hostile little poo poo who lived only to foil the players' plans simply by going "nuh huh, the sheriff's henchman somehow perfectly knew what you were planning and has the perfect counter for it" without bothering to put any effort into it.

Just off the top of my head, if you wanted a better way to accomplish the same scene, how about this:

The Iron Fleet is moving in to block Dany's fleet from getting close to King's Landing, as should have been expected by everyone. This does not bother Dany because they have the dragons, the magic fleet killing weapons and is all according to plan. The fight begins and Dany starts to strafe the Iron Fleet with the dragons, blowing up some ships. But oh no, because she was rash and too hasty, the green dragon hasn't fully healed yet and is so slow in the air it's hit in the crossfire / Dany gets too into burning ships and stays hovering above the Iron Fleet for too long, allowing some ballista guy to actually hit the dragon and kill it.

It's just lazy and stupid writing, and as pedantic as these complaints might sound, this kind of poo poo immediately ruins my suspension of disbelief. As someone said, this is backwards writing: the writers wanted outcome X and because they are hacks and only have six episodes to work with they went with the quickest, easiest, dumbest solutions. Everything feels rushed and so god drat stupid.

Yeah, I feel like on paper the ideas and where we're going isn't awful but it's being executed so shittily it's amazing. It's not a budget problem but entirely lazy writing - I have to believe even the people writing/directing this are aware of how dumb the scenes are but just don't care.

The time jumps are really getting to me. I know there's no time left for the episodes but you just can't skip months between scenes with no transitions. Like, the fleet gets wrecked and they wash up, next scene cersei is letting people in to the castle to act as a meat shield, next scene is the survivors of the fleet in a castle talking about how cersei is letting people in to the city and then the next scene is them OUTSIDE kings landing. (not exactly but you get the idea)

ALSO isn't it supposed to be winter? It was snowing in kings landing last season.

hemale in pain fucked around with this message at 13:49 on May 7, 2019

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

hemale in pain posted:

ALSO isn't it supposed to be winter? It was snowing in kings landing last season.

It's in a desert now you idiot, please make an effort to keep up with the genius of the showwriters.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Der Shovel posted:

Worst part is it didn't need to be just 6 episodes or even one last season, this was a decision by the showrunners/cast

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Donovan Trip posted:

Worst part is it didn't need to be just 6 episodes or even one last season, this was a decision by the showrunners/cast

The decision being we're loving sick of these Games of thrones!!!

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

hemale in pain posted:

The time jumps are really getting to me. I know there's no time left for the episodes but you just can't skip months between scenes with no transitions. Like, the fleet gets wrecked and they wash up, next scene cersei is letting people in to the castle to act as a meat shield, next scene is the survivors of the fleet in a castle talking about how cersei is letting people in to the city and then the next scene is them OUTSIDE kings landing. (not exactly but you get the idea)

It's been a long, long time since I saw the older seasons, but I'm sure there were a few time where, before embarking on huge journeys, there would be a scene of them checking out a map and going over it.

Sure, a LOT is happening now and most people are aware of the map just in their own heads. But it was a nice touch and grounded things. Gave everything a bit of weight. (if it happened, lol I could be pulling this from my rear end.)

hemale in pain posted:

Wayyyyyy back in season 1 I remember someone made this diagram of how, exactly a planet would have to rotate and its trajectory around the sun in order for them to have 7 years of winter every x years and GRRM explicitly said it's all magic.

So you COULD say that with the Night King dead then winter is ending... but there was zero talk of this in the show and now I'm doing what I was complaining about a few posts ago. Writing the show for the showrunners in order to defend it lol.

They're hacks and think King's Landing is now on a dusty plain because it's cheaper/whatever.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Looks like the veil has been lifted from TVIV's eyes

The staunchest supporters are MIA

This show is on an extreme downhill slide, it promises to be a most disappointing final season

Burns
May 10, 2008

Drunken Baker posted:

You know... the more I hear about this Night King character the more I dislike the guy. I tell you, I think someone should go over there and kill him!

Wait, he's dead? I didn't even know he was sick!

Lol.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
"Cersei cut back the trees so she could put a Starbucks in" is now a theory with evidence.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Starkbucks

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I hope we get a Harry Potter 7 part 2 ending. "15 years later" and everyone's in bad makeup and poo poo.

E: If you want to kill a dragon, it's super not hard to kill Rhaegal during The Long Night. Have him go down a champion protecting Dany until Jorah gets there while Drogon is shaking off zombies. Or have him die protecting Jon from Viserion. Both of those give you sufficient time to not have to resurrect another ice dragon and it gives Dany more reason to yell about not being reciprocated by the north.

Dude

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I have no clue what D&D were on when they decided that Sansa would think getting raped by Ramsay helped her become the way she is like it's a good thing.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

ElGroucho posted:

Looks like the veil has been lifted from TVIV's eyes

I've seen a LOT of hate for the episode and yeah, it sucks (don't they all since Oberyn's death?) but I got a "Game of Thrones" vibe from the scene where Tyrion and Varys were having their back and forth about what to do with Dany. Feels like people just wanted another episode of non-stop cgi sword mashing.

I think that's just what I like. I liked all the talking and politics and backstabbing. The little fight with Ned and Jaime stabbing a dude in the eye in season 1 was icing on the cake.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Starkbucks

lol

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Arcsquad12 posted:

I have no clue what D&D were on when they decided that Sansa would think getting raped by Ramsay helped her become the way she is like it's a good thing.

Women have a way of just shutting that whole thing down.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
If I hadn't been raped by a psychopath and manipulated for years by a guy who wanted to gently caress my mother, I'd still be a little bird who just cries and needs to be saved all the time.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

Arcsquad12 posted:

If I hadn't been raped by a psychopath and manipulated for years by a guy who wanted to gently caress my mother, I'd still be a little bird who just cries and needs to be saved all the time.

You've changed little bird *holds hands after grotesque rape comment*

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I do like scheming Sansa a lot more than tattle-tail Sansa.

Did they do tattle-tail Sansa in the show?

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Shhhh! Nobody tell him

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
They teased scheming Sansa back at the end of season 5 or 6 but then the next season Littlefinger sold her off to Ramsay and she spent the entire season getting tortured so Theon could get some character development.
That's the most disgusting thing about Sansa's rape scene. The scene is not about how she's been victimized, it's about how Theon feels bad because he's powerless to help someone. Most of it happens offscreen with Theon doing his Reekiest Reek tremble.

Oh and Brienne failed to rescue Sansa when she said she would because she ran off to execute Stannis instead of standing watch. This is never brought up in the show again despite Brienne being a woman of her word. She just fails to tell Sansa how she ran off and betrayed her oath to follow a personal vendetta.

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Still unironically hoping for Qyburn to have a legion of Frankenstein monsters ready to make the unsullied look like even bigger chumps.

Also what happened to the zombie hand he stole? Probably just a one off moment to show he's a sick gently caress, but I'd have loved a few scenes with him experimenting on prisoners using it.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
He grafted it onto the Mountain along with a second head to make a zombie zaphod beeblebrox. The Hound pins down both of the mountains arms and then the third arm pops up to start shanking the Hound.

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgVt_toaEzg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC

Drunken Baker posted:

Also has anyone else noticed this trend with people who vehemently defend the show?

I've had people block me on Facebook for posting, on my own status, that the last season of a show I've gone to bat for for years is terrible. I own every season (except the last) on BluRay and even bought season 3 twice just so let someone borrow it before season 4. I never read the books but I was a huge supporter of this show getting a fan base so they could keep making it.

"Why do you have to ruin things for everyone?!"

By posting the obvious flaws in logic and drop in writing quality I've had some GoT fans question their favorite show which counts as a personal attack. To question season 8 of GoT you HAVE to hate women, by the way.