Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I loved his character but you could have removed Oberyn entirely from the show at this point and I think nothing would have changed?

Oberyn was great and worked within the context of his season, but given the show runners apparent priorities it seems like a massive mistake to have spent any time on Dorne after that, they should have gone more in on the Iron Islands to better develop that plot, giving Yara more than two scenes per season and investing in eldritch euron.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seph
Jul 12, 2004

Please look at this photo every time you support or defend war crimes. Thank you.
Why did Cersei, who offered Bronn a literal castle to kill Tyrion, not execute him right then and there? There was absolutely no downside at all to killing him at that point. Also she could have easily taken out Dany, her general, and her dragon with all of those ballistas.

Like I'm not a medieval broadsword tactician but it seems like a good idea to kill your entire enemy leadership and their dragon when you get a chance.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
The optics on it certainly looked loving weird. She had like twenty dudes and was right outside the castle. Sally forth or something.

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

I loved his character but you could have removed Oberyn entirely from the show at this point and I think nothing would have changed?

Probably.

The other scenario could have been to have Doran win and remain committed to actual non-intervention. That way you remove Dorne from the equation entirely.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
People in Westeros seem to honor parleys and guest rights (except for Walter Frey). Even Ramsay, who cared little for social convention, didn’t try to kill Jon their meeting. Dany could have ended the war if she just burned the entire Lannister contingent at their first meeting. Cersei must also be really confident they are going to win now that they have a proven method of taking out dragons, and a seemingly stronger army.

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

BunLengthHotDog posted:

The show has been telegraphing Dany's turn to full Targ for a while. Anytime anything ever went wrong...BURN EVERYONE with my kids. They made it even more obvious once she got to Westeros, her offer went from "stay a slave or fight for me as a free man" to "lick my boots, or light'em up". She hasn't burnt the entire world down yet because her entourage has been telling her to chill the gently caress out along the way.

The problem is that it mostly worked.

People have been saying "Tyrion is an idiot" for a few seasons now precisely because his advice to 'chill out' always seems to fail and Daenerys always has to save everyone's asses by setting things on fire.

I think the direction the show's going in is good (or at least better than a cliché "heroes fight the villains, win") but boy it's been a bumpy ride.

Pedro De Heredia fucked around with this message at 12:58 on May 7, 2019

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Vichan posted:

“Themes are for eighth-grade book reports,”

::captainpop:

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

The Bronn thing is even weirder for Tyrion because he knows she paid a man loyal to money above all else to Assassinate him earlier in the episode. Unless Tyrion has a secret death wish or something

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

show bad goons worse

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
Imagine the last mile of a long run. you're a gross sweaty specimen and dont even give a gently caress about technique or stride because it's over. And then you poo poo your pants.

Game of Thrones

Lol this owns

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Steve2911 posted:

The actor playing Euron just comes across like a nice dude, really. It's hard to believe he's doing the things he's doing. Whereas Ramsay was very clearly a monster hiding behind a thin veneer of friendliness which just made him scarier.

If they wanted to nail Euron they needed to find someone who could pull off a seriously sinister look. If they wanted to nail Victarion they needed a god drat viking. Instead they went with a teddy bear.

this was the problem when they recast gregor clegane too. yeah dude's giant but he's so cuddly. wouldn't the original mountain have been free by the time the character re-entered the show? why not bring him back.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Groovelord Neato posted:

this was the problem when they recast gregor clegane too. yeah dude's giant but he's so cuddly. wouldn't the original mountain have been free by the time the character re-entered the show? why not bring him back.

Apparently he was a real rear end in a top hat no one liked working with

Roy Gato III
Jun 2, 2013

Azhais posted:

I'm going to be far more generous than the writing deserves and assume the plan was to start blockading Blackwater bay before the armies arrived

You don’t need to be generous. They specifically mention cutting off supplies to King’s Landing before Rhaegal gets shot two days before retirement.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
As a fellow giant who was once interested in acting I actually had email correspondance with the original Mountain actor, Conan Stevens, and he was pretty cool and gave me a lot of encouragement.

That said I think he authored his own IMDB page and the way that comes across I could see how he might rile people up with his personality as opposed to the reportedly more chill second Mountain actor Ian Whyte. Unsure what the current guy is like.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

RestingB1tchFace posted:

I am just watching the 4th episode. Late to the party. I'm US CT BTW. Minnesota. The Jon Snow speech before the torching was really great. Best part of the last season.

Okay....WTF. Another writing gaffe imo. The dragon lady could have easily torched those boats from behind when she dodged the arrows. I know that wouldn't play into the rest of the story....but....for fucks sake! Does common sense not exist near the seven kingdoms? I realize that they didn't have material to work off....but some of this just seems lazy.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

No way, Oberyn was about to become a big player in King's Landing, he'd just been given a seat on the small council, and he was obviously going to stir poo poo up for the Lannisters and make Tywin pay for killing his family. That skull-smash was probably the last bit of genuinely good subversion this show pulled off -- everyone thought he was going to be a major part of the political intrigue going forth, and then whoops! Nope! The Dorne storyline ended up being a big wet shitstain after he died, but it showed that the Lannisters had been making enemies everywhere, gave us the zombie Mountain and the Hound's motivation to kill him, and killed off the last of Cersei's children to solidify her transition into the crazy rage queen.

TyrantWD posted:

People in Westeros seem to honor parleys and guest rights (except for Walter Frey). Even Ramsay, who cared little for social convention, didn’t try to kill Jon their meeting. Dany could have ended the war if she just burned the entire Lannister contingent at their first meeting. Cersei must also be really confident they are going to win now that they have a proven method of taking out dragons, and a seemingly stronger army.

Yep, this is pretty much what I was going to say. You're just Not Supposed To kill people at a parley. If you do, then the next time you're in conflict with someone, who's to say that they won't just kill you right back when you come to parley? I'm not sure if Cersei wouldn't be driven mad enough to have her archers kill Tyrion ANYWAY, and it might be worth the honor hit to just murder Danaerys and end the war, but I don't consider it a real plot hole that she didn't just kill everyone.

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.
Ep 5 Cersei kills danys whole army, jon, tyrion, the whole lot.

Ep 6 arya assassinates cersei meaning sansa, as Joffrey's ex wife, wins the game of thrones

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Tender Bender posted:

That's fair. Personally for me most of the villains since Joffrey have felt like a poor attempt to recapture his magic. Ramsay in particular was given way too much screentime to just be a sadistic rear end in a top hat, and that actor's performance always felt way too out of place and "modern" to me, like he was from an episode of Criminal Minds or something.

yeah ramsay's plot armor was bad but the worst part was he was the "normal handsome friendly acting guy is actually a psycho" modern day serial killer character. in the book he's an ugly monstrous brute.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Euron is the most enjoyable character to watch since S6 except MAYBE Tormund, lol at the haters

They're definitely the only characters having fun, and doubly so because euron is a Mary Sue and the actor clearly knows it and just dialed it up to 11 . He rules

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Phenotype posted:

Yep, this is pretty much what I was going to say. You're just Not Supposed To kill people at a parley. If you do, then the next time you're in conflict with someone, who's to say that they won't just kill you right back when you come to parley? I'm not sure if Cersei wouldn't be driven mad enough to have her archers kill Tyrion ANYWAY, and it might be worth the honor hit to just murder Danaerys and end the war, but I don't consider it a real plot hole that she didn't just kill everyone.

In the previous season, they have Cersei going "I don't care if people know I'm loving my brother, I have all the power". They then go on a rant about how history is written by the winners. But I guess Cersei didn't want to get Quyburn killed or she wouldn't have had anyone left to talk to.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Groovelord Neato posted:

yeah ramsay's plot armor was bad but the worst part was he was the "normal handsome friendly acting guy is actually a psycho" modern day serial killer character. in the book he's an ugly monstrous brute.

Honestly the worst was building up the Northern rebellion only to completely drop it outside of one old woman. The books at least make it clear Ramsay is slowly destroying support, the show he has complete control of everything and it all works out for him.

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

Groovelord Neato posted:

Show Ramsay is not even remotely handsome.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Overyn's arc was one of the most on-theme things this show has ever done, with wide ranging consequences and implications. His portrayal was great from start to finish, definitely one of the best in the entire series. Season 4 is the high point in part because of the Oberyn storyline.

The issue is that because he was so well received, D&D made Dorne a centerpiece of the next two seasons despite the expanded Dornish storyline being an undercooked mess, even in the books. They half assed it in production, squandered a couple of really good actors, and ended up with nothing to show for it aside from the Jaime/Bronn interactions.

Pedro De Heredia posted:

Are you blind?

Mat Cauthon fucked around with this message at 13:52 on May 7, 2019

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

That Italian Guy posted:

In the previous season, they have Cersei going "I don't care if people know I'm loving my brother, I have all the power". They then go on a rant about how history is written by the winners. But I guess Cersei didn't want to get Quyburn killed or she wouldn't have had anyone left to talk to.

Well, a parley is a little bit more universal than brother-loving. She's not concerned that they might try to gently caress her brother, but she might reasonably expect to be involved in more parleys in the future, after the war, and you don't want to give the other families a good excuse to just kill you and be done with it.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Pedro De Heredia posted:

I have a couple friends who would say otherwise, but tbf I don't see it either. I will say he had fun facial expressions and I liked the way he said "nock".

Joffrey and Viserys were the best cartoon villains in the show though, imo.

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006
Did people talk about the preview already?

It looks pretty clearly like Daenerys sitting on the Iron Throne.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This is what got Ramsay his job:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCbtRWD12xo

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Bacon Terrorist posted:

As a fellow giant who was once interested in acting I actually had email correspondance with the original Mountain actor, Conan Stevens, and he was pretty cool and gave me a lot of encouragement.

That said I think he authored his own IMDB page and the way that comes across I could see how he might rile people up with his personality as opposed to the reportedly more chill second Mountain actor Ian Whyte. Unsure what the current guy is like.

How big are you to call yourself a giant

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Pedro De Heredia posted:

Did people talk about the preview already?

It looks pretty clearly like Daenerys sitting on the Iron Throne.

That's Dragonstone

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006
The actor who plays Ramsay is decent looking in real life. He's not incredibly handsome or anything.

On the show, he is really pale, has a lovely haircut, makes the facial expressions of a goblin 80% of the time, and his voice is horrendous. He doesn't read as handsome.

He's more attractive than the book version, sure.

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

TheRat posted:

That's Dragonstone

lol then that's just the beginning of the episode, nevermind.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART

They didn't have any of this story figured out when they started the series so they spent a full season per book thinking yeah this lines up, and they publicly said many times yeah we'll have about as many seasons as books. Then they got GRRMs notes for the ending and were like holy gently caress seriously why did we spend a whole season on Dorne then and just started deleting storylines left and right to catch up.

Also part of it I feel like is the story used to jump around so much and they were pretty great at that - like weaving together an interesting episode even when every scene has nothing to do with another scene. Occasionally you would spend longer in one place for a big deal like a battle or Red Wedding. Now that everyone's in the same place it just doesn't work that well?

I feel like there is probably an entire book worth of content after the NK dies that we're getting in 3 episodes

This dude fucks

Like I’m sure everything you said is exactly what’s going down

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Pedro De Heredia posted:

The actor who plays Ramsay is decent looking in real life. He's not incredibly handsome or anything.

On the show, he is really pale, has a lovely haircut, makes the facial expressions of a goblin 80% of the time, and his voice is loving horrible. He doesn't read as handsome.

Oh, come on. This is the male version of "have you seen her elbows? and those knobbly knees lol wtf 2/10 would not bang"

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

bobjr posted:

Honestly the worst was building up the Northern rebellion only to completely drop it outside of one old woman. The books at least make it clear Ramsay is slowly destroying support, the show he has complete control of everything and it all works out for him.

yeah this is why season 5 is the worst one. i think there are maybe two lines apart from that old woman about how they're having issues with support. the season should've had manderly and all that poo poo. they even had some advertising or hype image with THE NORTH REMEMBERS. they even had lyanna mormont poo poo on manderly after the battle of the bastards.

the issue is with how poorly they handled the aftermath. it's the same problem with cersei blowing up the sept - probably the last genuinely surprising moment that got me excited for what was to come and nope turns out cersei just easily crushes all the major houses rising against her lol.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 14:05 on May 7, 2019

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Phenotype posted:

Well, a parley is a little bit more universal than brother-loving. She's not concerned that they might try to gently caress her brother, but she might reasonably expect to be involved in more parleys in the future, after the war, and you don't want to give the other families a good excuse to just kill you and be done with it.

I mean it makes sense, I just think show Cersei wouldn't care at this point. It's not like there are any named characters left that aren't already her mortal enemies, and the show has made plenty abundant that Westeros has shrunk to only a handful of people by now.

Speaking of the parley scene, I am very disappointed that Missandei's death was so boring. Danaerys and Cersei don't really know each other, it would have been a nice chance to introduce how hosed up and monstrous her cohort is; they do a good job with Quyburn, they could have had the Mountain cleave in half Missandei (with the same "out of focus" trick they have, for the scene not to be too gory) or heck, even raise Missandei over his head and throw her off the wall to show how inhuman he is.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

RestingB1tchFace posted:

Okay....WTF. Another writing gaffe imo. The dragon lady could have easily torched those boats from behind when she dodged the arrows. I know that wouldn't play into the rest of the story....but....for fucks sake! Does common sense not exist near the seven kingdoms? I realize that they didn't have material to work off....but some of this just seems lazy.

They did a great job with the last half hour. Tyrion's plea at the end was good.....but the best part of the last episode was Varys. I never really knew where he stood. Kind of stradled the good/bad sides. But this episode made it clear where he is. He took a stand that will probably play a major factor in the last two episodes.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

^^^^^^^^^^^^ This is only cause book Varys supports a Targaryen who's not in the show, and they have to get him to the same ending the book will have. Too bad Varys has been supporting this other dude forever in the books, instead of suddenly realizing the Dragon Queen is literally Hitler out of the blue at -2.5h from the end of the show.

Groovelord Neato posted:

the issue is with how poorly they handled the aftermath. it's the same problem with cersei blowing up the sept - probably the last genuinely surprising moment that got me excited for what was to come and nope turns out cersei just easily crushes all the major houses rising against her lol.

It's especially funny cause one of the main plot beat of Season 1 is "you can't just act against one great lord without consequences - no matter how many lies you spread" because of how feudalism work, with a large war engulfing Westeros because Cat takes Tyrion prisoner and the Lannisters attack Ned in retaliation...but then the Lords of Sunspear Dorne are killed off twice without any bannerman even getting mentioned till last episode, so :suicide:

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 14:12 on May 7, 2019

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Killing Oberyn wasn't breaking taboos or acting against a great house, though. Dude volunteered to be Tyrion's champion and started showboating before the Mountain was all the way dead.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

clegane admitted to his crimes as he killed oberyn (which was the whole point of fighting him from oberyn's perspective).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

That Italian Guy posted:

^^^^^^^^^^^^ This is only cause book Varys supports a Targaryen who's not in the show,

Who might just be a Blackfyre.