Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

No Wave posted:

I was sure it was the complete opposite. She is hateful like him, and they belong together.

Ambiguity? In my TV show writing???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

The actor who plays Ramsay is considered like, mega-hot by a lot of people.

You have to be loving blind to not think so.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
This dude has probably sparked a whole lot of extreme BDSM fantasies

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Phenotype posted:

Killing Oberyn wasn't breaking taboos or acting against a great house, though. Dude volunteered to be Tyrion's champion and started showboating before the Mountain was all the way dead.

Oberyn was not the ruler of Dorne. I was referring to Cersei killing Mace Tyrell and other assorted nobles; AND the Vipers killing Doran Martell and becoming the de-facto rulers (as the only named characters of that faction left I guess) and then the Vipers being killed/kidnapped by the Lannisters+Greyjoy and Dorne quietly disappearing out of the show cause they were out of named characters.

The Dornish army has been nowhere to be seen even if they have still 100% of their forces, and none of the Martell's bannermen have had any reaction to any of this...after the whole human conflict of the story happens cause "you can't just kill/kidnap a few named characters and pretend like it won't have consequences" in Season 1.

It's like bad poetry, it doesn't rhyme.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

Are y'all really playing like we don't sit here and make exactly those kinds of comments for page after page? This is so weird. Y'all need therapy or something.

Weren't you talking about checking fake maps earlier?

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

its absolutely amazing that the show fell into the exact same Oberyn trap that GRRM did. hmm how can we recapture the magic of the tragic badass? Darkstar! Sand Snakes!

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
Never go full Darkstar.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

I think the last good thing this show pulled off was Tommen. that Cersei was so self-absorbed that she couldnt see the obvious and her actions leading directly to her last child offing himself, that was pretty good. that blowing up the sept had no other consequences is very dumb but. Tommen Baratheon, first of his name, rip.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Lowly posted:

Iain Glen is hot. I have a harder time believing Dany didn't even consider hooking up with him at least once

What? The guy looks like an old leather boot.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Sam knocked up Gilly.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Red posted:

What? The guy looks like an old leather boot.

That voice tho

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

That Italian Guy posted:

Never go full Darkstar.

You have to either go full Darkstar or not at all. Darkstar was some nerd who showed up and his only big move was injuring a young girl. The Sand Snakes they really pushed how badass this crew was.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

ElGroucho posted:

This dude has probably sparked a whole lot of extreme BDSM fantasies

I know people for whom this is in fact exactly the case.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Vintersorg posted:

He was hot in Misfits (Simon & Alisha Forever) but not as Ramsay lmao

Edit: when I still used Livejournal my icon was of Ramsay wiggling the sausage and his facial expression is so loving goofy that's the go-to image for him in my mind's eye 😂😂

Koalas March fucked around with this message at 14:51 on May 7, 2019

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Crow Jane posted:

That voice tho

Khaleesi

I'm rewatching the earlier Seasons of the show since I've got that "3 months of NowTV" deal and I've just realized something.

When Robb rides south, the full strenght of the North is below 20k men. The Lannister have a larger army, a bit more than 20k men. This is at the beginning of the war, where everyone still has full resources to throw around.

Daenerys is bringing 100k Dothraki with her, more than 10k Unsullied, plus whatever's left of the Northern army, Yara's fleet, Dorne and 3 Dragons.

Cersei has whatever's left of the Lannisters army, 2k Gold Cloaks, the Iron Fleet and the Tyrell's army (which is so small Highgarden can be taken in a day)...so what exactly was her plan if the undead were not showing up? The show doesn't really seem to acknowledge the disparity in forces the two factions have. I can see Cersei clinging to the throne for dear life, but maybe they should have played the "we are absolutely hosed" angle a bit more. By the time they are negotiating in S7, it feels like they are shown to have a very similar force, with the "good" guys having a slight advantage. Instead, it's more like a 10-to-1 numerical advantage, with a smaller fleet but 3 dragons.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
Apparently Iwan Rheon was in the running to play Jon Snow. I'm super curious how that would've gone

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Crow Jane posted:

Apparently Iwan Rheon was in the running to play Jon Snow. I'm super curious how that would've gone

I always felt Jon Snow was the weakest Season 1 cast member by a long shot.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

That Italian Guy posted:

Khaleesi

I'm rewatching the earlier Seasons of the show since I've got that "3 months of NowTV" deal and I've just realized something.

When Robb rides south, the full strenght of the North is below 20k men. The Lannister have a larger army, a bit more than 20k men. This is at the beginning of the war, where everyone still has full resources to throw around.

Daenerys is bringing 100k Dothraki with her, more than 10k Unsullied, plus whatever's left of the Northern army, Yara's fleet, Dorne and 3 Dragons.

Cersei has whatever's left of the Lannisters army, 2k Gold Cloaks, the Iron Fleet and the Tyrell's army (which is so small Highgarden can be taken in a day)...so what exactly was her plan if the undead were not showing up? The show doesn't really seem to acknowledge the disparity in forces the two factions have. I can see Cersei clinging to the throne for dear life, but maybe they should have played the "we are absolutely hosed" angle a bit more. By the time they are negotiating in S7, it feels like they are shown to have a very similar force, with the "good" guys having a slight advantage. Instead, it's more like a 10-to-1 numerical advantage, with a smaller fleet but 3 dragons.

Reminds me of when Tywin dropped the whole "yeah so our mines ran dry and we're broke" thing. That was a whole thing that was an issue and not resolved until they defeated Highgarden.

Now it's just like the armies and cities are an extension of the characters, and don't really have a life of their own outside the characters.

Although granted, they did talk about how Winterfell couldn't feed a whole big army, but then they just...dropped that.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Hah was the number really supposed to be 100,000 Dothraki? With their horses? Come on. They really do have issues with numbers in this series.

Xanderkish posted:

Although granted, they did talk about how Winterfell couldn't feed a whole big army, but then they just...dropped that.

The army's a lot smaller now!

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Xanderkish posted:

Well, they got attacked by the undead and almost everyone half of their forces died, with the remaining half leaving for the South shortly thereafter because the show has to end in 2 episodes.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Phenotype posted:

Hah was the number really supposed to be 100,000 Dothraki? With their horses? Come on. They really do have issues with numbers in this series.

I forget if it’s said in both show and books but when they throw around that number Robert says it’s meaningless because they can hide in castles and starve them out, because apparently Dothraki are only good at fighting on plains

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

^^^^^^^^^^ they have actual good character and strategist Tywin explain why this is a bad idea later on:
E: wrong clip, but Charles Dance is so good I'll leave it here anyway. In the correct clip, they mention how while they hide in their castle, the Dothraki will run amok in the countryside, killing and pillaging.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-fPqhXZrOE

Phenotype posted:

Yeah, not to mention the Dothraki are a "warrior people" akin to the Mongols and the Unsullied are professional soldiers, each probably similar in skill to a westerosi knight, while the bulk of the Lannister's army is a levy of peasants - Joffrey complains with his mother that they should have professional armies too instead of the feudal system in Season 1.

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 15:12 on May 7, 2019

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo

Vintersorg posted:

I'd gladly be his Reek

Seph
Jul 12, 2004

Please look at this photo every time you support or defend war crimes. Thank you.
So the argument is that Cersei, who in cold blood has murdered thousands of innocent commoners, half of house Tyrell, the high sparrow, and dornish royalty, is supposed to care that killing someone in a parlay is bad? Like her character has shown time and time again that she's ruthless and does whatever it takes to get what she wants. But suddenly she cares about decorum when she has a prime opportunity to take out her enemy and secure her reign for good? I don't buy that motivation; it's just bad writing.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Seph posted:

So the argument is that Cersei, who in cold blood has murdered thousands of innocent commoners, half of house Tyrell, the high sparrow, and dornish royalty, is supposed to care that killing someone in a parlay is bad? Like her character has shown time and time again that she's ruthless and does whatever it takes to get what she wants. But suddenly she cares about decorum when she has a prime opportunity to take out her enemy and secure her reign for good? I don't buy that motivation; it's just bad writing.

Shes a genocide, se is more than capable to do this. But I don't think she believe was necessary when the easy way out is something else and breaking traditions, norms and culture tabbos in the open like that would have created a lot of trouble for himself that she don't need to deal with by killing Dany in a more customary way.

The serie is stupid, and the way they filmed this create these natural doubts.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Seph posted:

Eh, I would say show Cersei could swing both ways, but at this point this is definitely in a "gray area" of bad writing compared to the monumental pile of poo poo D&D have managed to produce.

I'm already in a later stage of grief, let's reminisce on when this show had good bad characters:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5kup5P0mTA
E: this is not even that great of a selection, but Charles Dance is so good it doesn't matter.

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 15:22 on May 7, 2019

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

What was the plan to deal with the Dothraki after they won? Probably a bad idea to let them hang out in westeros after taking power.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

Seph posted:

Did we ever find out what the rest of King's Landing, or what anyone else, thought of her blowing up the Sept?

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Raccooon posted:

What was the plan to deal with the Dothraki after they won? Probably a bad idea to let them hang out in westeros after taking power.

What "Plan"?, Dany only care about getting the throne.

Anyway she could have offered them land to become farmers, or a free ticket back to essos, or join some militar force.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Seph posted:

it's just bad writing.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Raccooon posted:

Welcome to "operation kill off all the Dothraki in a single charge"! (The plan was to think about it later, cause Danaerys is laser focused on getting on the throne and everything else comes later).

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Seph posted:

Ehhh... like I said, I expected her to at least kill Tyrion there, it would be completely in character for her to do it. But it's not "caring that it's bad," it's paying attention to the cause and effect. Cersei may need to parley with others in the future, so she has a self-serving reason not to break that ancient tradition.

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

That Italian Guy posted:

Welcome to "operation kill off all the Dothraki in a single charge"! (The plan was to think about it later, cause Danaerys is laser focused on getting on the throne and everything else comes later).

No, only half the Dothraki died in that charge. The other half were waiting on their home planet. Same with the unsullied, whom you never see fighting once the walls were breached. Half of them were on their home planet as well.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Raccooon posted:

This is even better now that I know there were supposed to be a hundred thousand Dothraki up there. Just, y'know, having a force of raping and pillaging raiders many times bigger than any army Westeros has ever seen and they'll be hanging out in the country, tasting the wines, seeing the sights, raping and pillaging everything.

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

Hizawk posted:

No, only half the Dothraki died in that charge. The other half were waiting on their home planet. Same with the unsullied, whom you never see fighting once the walls were breached. Half of them were on their home planet as well.

They're taking notes from Bran "I have to go now, my planet needs me" Stark.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Dany went north to trade her army for 20 goodmen, who for some reason put on unsullied armor and ready to attack Kings Landing.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Phenotype posted:

Khal Drogo was supposed to have 100,000 Dothraki in his horde alone. Dany got all the hordes in the end, so presumably it's way more than that.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!
Just end it and stop the bleeding. I'm dying. I can barely move. If it weren't for Jon's send off for the dead in the last episode....or Tyrion's plea to Cersei....this last season would be.....just bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Hizawk posted:

At least we've got Bronze Yohn Royce back to (I guess) remove half of the Knights of the Vale tokens from the board.

By the way, has anyone mentioned how in the tense "it's a frontal assault with thousands of civilian casualties unless she surrenders" strategy discussion scene, no one mentions the fact that they have access to a super ninja assassin, who has Cersei on her kill list and is familiar with King's Landing and the the Red Keep? With all the potential character development of having to put someone you care about in danger or having to resort to assassination to get what you want - maybe even discarding it as the go to plan because of that?

And that they could ask Bran about any potential surprise their enemies have prepared for them like, I don't know, them having built a massive anti air defense or planning to ambush their fleet on their way to Dragonstone?

The writing has been bad for a while, but I haven't really turned on the show until s8e3; I always had the hope the good would outshine the bad in the end, even if the whole Dornish saga and the way the handled Arya's Eastern Trip has been abysmal.