Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

Babe Magnet posted:

I've started to do Double Feints and man people just aren't prepared for that poo poo lol

Eveningstar stab morph into a strike is all I need to do to crush heads. I'll change the stance so that it's slightly faster but shorter range to really confused someone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

:downs: game raceist

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Sorry, man, could you repeat that? I couldn't hear you over the barrage of "N****R" spam from Pepe avatars with totally incidental black/white Iron Cross approximation emblems. :(

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

SplitSoul posted:

Sorry, man, could you repeat that? I couldn't hear you over the barrage of "N****R" spam from Pepe avatars with totally incidental black/white Iron Cross approximation emblems. :(

so just like every other online multiplayer game ever

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

StabMasterArson posted:

I've been playing online games since like 1998 and have never encountered anything that even comes close, but whatever, I just hunt them down and play football with their severed heads.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008

StabMasterArson posted:

The racist defender has logged on

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

SplitSoul posted:

lol i’m getting a lot of dudes running around in full klan outfits spamming LYNCHED every time they get a kill

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

Comrayn posted:

The racist defender has logged on

I think calling the devs actual white supremacists because of this stuff is just really weird that's all

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

StabMasterArson posted:

I think calling the devs actual white supremacists because of this stuff is just really weird that's all

Literally one person ITT refunded the game because of the lacklustre colour picker.

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

Yea ok I guess the moment has passed to call him a dumbass

Orv
May 4, 2011
It's not a terrible stretch to imagine that the game made by (probably mostly) white guys whose history of the European continent is probably not particularly thorough - aside from weapons - said "Well there were no black people in Europe" because that's come up multiple times in gaming in the last few years. I don't think it ultimately matters if they're not doing it for malicious reasons and are instead simply reading the wrong books or whatever. Obviously if someone digs up something bad then yeah, these games attract that crowd for a reason.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

I’m disappointed that you can’t chamber while unarmed

Orv
May 4, 2011

VulgarandStupid posted:

I’m disappointed that you can’t chamber while unarmed

There should be a really hard to do move where you can catch the sword on a stab chamber and if you can kick in time it disarms the person and the sword flies away from you both, but if they stab fast enough it's a guaranteed kill cause it just slides through and gets you.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Orv posted:

It's not a terrible stretch to imagine that the game made by (probably mostly) white guys whose history of the European continent is probably not particularly thorough - aside from weapons - said "Well there were no black people in Europe" because that's come up multiple times in gaming in the last few years. I don't think it ultimately matters if they're not doing it for malicious reasons and are instead simply reading the wrong books or whatever. Obviously if someone digs up something bad then yeah, these games attract that crowd for a reason.

Its institutionalized racism op.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008

StabMasterArson posted:

Yeah it would be weird if people had done that. Better defend famously normal and inclusive group “European historical gamers” just in case anyone does that.

TorakFade posted:

About the skin tone thing I agree there is a lack of sensitivity there, but we should try to understand. Eastern Europe (heck, Europe in general with the exception of the bigger countries like Germany, France and Spain) is 99% white and has been for its whole history, that does not excuse the lack of such a simple option in this day and age when you want to sell worldwide (especially in the USA) but I believe it is an honest oversight rather than malicious racism. People tend to get a bit too riled up about perceived racism/sexism imo (I remember this not being such a huge issue 10-15 years ago honestly, when videogame protagonist were all macho men with bulging muscles and womanizer attitudes... Again, not that we should go back to that, but Mordhau not having black people or women at launch is not the end of the world)

Normal thing to type up. Especially when what prompted it is basically “hey how come the skin tones are just slightly different shades of pale”. Let me tell you about how actually everyone in Europe has always been white, something absolutely no historian would ever say, and it’s important to maintain historical accuracy while my Viking fights this guy in full plate with a rapier. There’s no problem with white supremacy these days, especially not online, so nothing bad about doing this nope.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Its institutionalized racism op.

Given that they don't seem to be making any efforts to prune the deus vult shitheads from their Discord, probably.

El Cid
Mar 17, 2005

What good is power when you're too wise to use it?
Grimey Drawer
A friend and I had a lot of fun last night playing unarmored screaming peasants armed with 3 frying pans. (Two for throwin' one for bashin') There is nothing quite as satisfying as the "pong" of a frying pan connecting with a face. It was also surprisingly effective in team engagements because all you have to do is backpedal and parry the swarm of people thirsting for your naked peasant flesh as your teammates stab them to death from behind.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

I'm playing on European servers and I have never once seen the poo poo you're describing as happening everywhere...

Orv posted:

Ok this is a touchy subject but I'll bite anyways - please consider it all in good faith.

Living in Europe and knowing European history at least decently, I can tell you that pre-imperialism and pre-colonialism, Europe of course had people of various colors from Asia, Africa and so on but they were absolutely not a significant part of the population. And I'm from the southern part of Europe, neighbor of North Africa basically, so we were one of the countries that actually had the most (and still they were a really, really tiny part of the population) with the moors in Sardinia and Sicily. Heck my grandmother was racist as all hell exactly because of this - there were so little people of color in our country even at the beginning of the 20th century that they seemed strange, foreign and dangerous to her because she was not used to seeing them. By contrast, today I see several black people on a daily basis just taking a walk through town, and of course it's perfectly fine - but doesn't mean that it was like this 400 - 600 years ago too.

This is not an excuse to be racist or lovely, but pretending black people were a significant part of European countries' population before we started going around and stealing them from their home countries as slaves, or the globalized world made it much easier to travel, work, and generally live abroad is just false as far as I can tell. Just like the notion that there were absolutely no black people is of course totally false. Reality was a middle ground with some part of the population being black/brown/whatever and mostly being in the lower rungs of society because they were "different", while some notable exceptions might have had more social success.

If you do have more info about European history that would prove I'm totally wrong I'll eat my archer hat of course! :)

Edit:

Comrayn posted:

Normal thing to type up. Especially when what prompted it is basically “hey how come the skin tones are just slightly different shades of pale”. Let me tell you about how actually everyone in Europe has always been white, something absolutely no historian would ever say, and it’s important to maintain historical accuracy while my Viking fights this guy in full plate with a rapier. There’s no problem with white supremacy these days, especially not online, so nothing bad about doing this nope.

99% white is actually, as far as I can tell, pretty accurate. Might be 95% ? 90% ? Doesn't change that much. Please show me data that proves otherwise :shrug:

My impression is that most people, especially Americans, are incredibly triggered by any perceived slight to their own view of the world. Chill out guys.

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 15:56 on May 7, 2019

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Orv posted:

I feel like when you get people running away from 1v1s because they have a maul and no armor and only engaging with their team when they can backstab people something should probably be done about it. Otherwise I pretty much recognize that all my other gripes are currently just a lack of my own ability.

Nice to know, I'll have to try and find a decent one in my region, it's always nice to have a regular set of people to duel against.
I'll have you know when I'm running around with a Maul and lederhosen it's so I can run TOWARDS the fights faster :colbert: and unlike people feeling nice and safe with their big helmets, a nice hat doesn't save me from being accidentally decapitated by helicopter blades aimed at my teammates.

Sure I try for comedy stealth kills too, but the glacial speed of the Maul combined with it's tiny range means My 1/1/1 self swinging barely wiffing constantly in a benny hill chase against armored targets if they are moving even vaguely 'away' even as they fight someone else :downs: Anyone I hit with a maul in the back of the head (That isn't an archer standing still) mid teamfight is someone I could have chain stabed with an arming sword much more easily.

Just another reason why I also bring an arming sword :pseudo: (And a fire pot I keep forgetting I have).

El Cid posted:

A friend and I had a lot of fun last night playing unarmored screaming peasants armed with 3 frying pans. (Two for throwin' one for bashin') There is nothing quite as satisfying as the "pong" of a frying pan connecting with a face. It was also surprisingly effective in team engagements because all you have to do is backpedal and parry the swarm of people thirsting for your naked peasant flesh as your teammates stab them to death from behind.
I've discovered Scythe + Pan is my "Oh they picked the giant snow map on TDM huh? gently caress it" build.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Frankly I don't think this thread is the place for it. They existed at all is reason enough for the colors to be in, that it is not a realistic historical game is reason enough for them to be in, that these types of game tend to attract a certain sort of type of human garbage is reason enough to be wary that the lack of the inclusion is something other than ignorance. Similarly I don't think we need to burn the place down witch hunting if they aren't openly lovely about it - and eventually fix it - and can just keep playing the game and whining about rapiers.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

El Cid posted:

This build has the added bonus of looking hilarious, because your two backup pans flap alongside you as you run.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Orv posted:

Frankly I don't think this thread is the place for it. They existed at all is reason enough for the colors to be in, that it is not a realistic historical game is reason enough for them to be in, that these types of game tend to attract a certain sort of type of human garbage is reason enough to be wary that the lack of the inclusion is something other than ignorance. Similarly I don't think we need to burn the place down witch hunting if they aren't openly lovely about it - and eventually fix it - and can just keep playing the game and whining about rapiers.

:emptyquote:

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Excelsiortothemax posted:

Wife wanted to join but no female characters means a lost sale.

It’s odd that nerds are so determined to cut off their nose to spite their face.

They sold 500k copies, I think they are going to be okay.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

Didn't anyone read Othello? I mean, if we need an example. Or you know, Song of Roland where half of Spain is conquered by Moors? Or, you know, the Huns torching the Mid East and Eastern Europe. Nevermind that North Africa has been in contact with the Mediterranean and Southern Europe since forever. I think this covers all major ethnic groups and no one is bitching about the lack of Polynesian representation.

Edit: Also check out the discord for the Pepe / Deus Vult / Take back the Holy Land from Mud People chat and a dev will lol and put a Pepe spazzing out emote on it.

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

TorakFade posted:

I'm playing on European servers and I have never once seen the poo poo you're describing as happening everywhere...

Ok this is a touchy subject but I'll bite anyways - please consider it all in good faith.

Living in Europe and knowing European history at least decently, I can tell you that pre-imperialism and pre-colonialism, Europe of course had people of various colors from Asia, Africa and so on but they were absolutely not a significant part of the population. And I'm from the southern part of Europe, neighbor of North Africa basically, so we were one of the countries that actually had the most (and still they were a really, really tiny part of the population) with the moors in Sardinia and Sicily. Heck my grandmother was racist as all hell exactly because of this - there were so little people of color in our country even at the beginning of the 20th century that they seemed strange, foreign and dangerous to her because she was not used to seeing them. By contrast, today I see several black people on a daily basis just taking a walk through town, and of course it's perfectly fine - but doesn't mean that it was like this 400 - 600 years ago too.

This is not an excuse to be racist or lovely, but pretending black people were a significant part of European countries' population before we started going around and stealing them from their home countries as slaves, or the globalized world made it much easier to travel, work, and generally live abroad is just false as far as I can tell. Just like the notion that there were absolutely no black people is of course totally false. Reality was a middle ground with some part of the population being black/brown/whatever and mostly being in the lower rungs of society because they were "different", while some notable exceptions might have had more social success.

If you do have more info about European history that would prove I'm totally wrong I'll eat my archer hat of course! :)

Edit:

99% white is actually, as far as I can tell, pretty accurate. Might be 95% ? 90% ? Doesn't change that much. Please show me data that proves otherwise :shrug:

My impression is that most people, especially Americans, are incredibly triggered by any perceived slight to their own view of the world. Chill out guys.

loving racist

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum

Glenn Quebec posted:

Didn't anyone read Othello? I mean, if we need an example. Or you know, Song of Roland where half of Spain is conquered by Moors? Or, you know, the Huns torching the Mid East and Eastern Europe. Nevermind that North Africa has been in contact with the Mediterranean and Southern Europe since forever. I think this covers all major ethnic groups and no one is bitching about the lack of Polynesian representation.

Edit: Also check out the discord for the Pepe / Deus Vult / Take back the Holy Land from Mud People chat and a dev will lol and put a Pepe spazzing out emote on it.

To play the devil's advocate: the moors were mostly white people as well. They came from areas that were predominately settled by greeks, romans, and germans and while a significant minority were black africans and bedouins they were by no means the majority. The Portuguese at the time even called them white arabs to differentiate them from people living further inland.

Anyway, to forestall cries of racism here is a black Medici prince: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alessandro_de%27_Medici,_Duke_of_Florence

Orv
May 4, 2011
Cease, play video game, have fun. Please.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Have you gotten enough attention so that you can gently caress off now?

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
game needs team color palettes that you can set for your gear

so team red can have warm and blue cold colors, so it's not all the same color set every time for all but two game modes...

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Orv posted:

How can we have fun when people stab us in the face with rapiers all day long and we keep dying :argh:

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

dtkozl posted:

To play the devil's advocate: the moors were mostly white people as well. They came from areas that were predominately settled by greeks, romans, and germans and while a significant minority were black africans and bedouins they were by no means the majority. The Portuguese at the time even called them white arabs to differentiate them from people living further inland.

Anyway, to forestall cries of racism here is a black Medici prince: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alessandro_de%27_Medici,_Duke_of_Florence

Moors as a term has no ethnological value and can describe anything from an off-white Spaniard to a dark skinned North African, which is to say that this should exist in the game.

Orv
May 4, 2011

TorakFade posted:

How can we have fun when people stab us in the face with rapiers all day long and we keep dying :argh:

I'll let you know when I figure that one out. My current hypothesis is lots of expletives.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Orv posted:

I'll let you know when I figure that one out. My current hypothesis is lots of expletives.

I misread that as lots of explosives, and I agree oh so much

plz devs, add to the game a 16 point cost TNT crate

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008

Orv posted:

Weird how this sentiment is always directed at people pointing out how deus vult cosplayers are lovely and ahistorical and not the racists themselves.

timn
Mar 16, 2010

Gamerofthegame posted:

game needs team color palettes that you can set for your gear

so team red can have warm and blue cold colors, so it's not all the same color set every time for all but two game modes...

Yeah, this is something Chivalry was better about, and you could also preview your design for each team and customize them separately.

What I'm really missing from Chivalry though is the big target emblem. Nothing like the psychological warfare against archers from having a dude with a giant red and white target on his chest run up and impale you as you keep missing your shots and flailing about.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Comrayn posted:

Weird how this sentiment is always directed at people pointing out how deus vult cosplayers are lovely and ahistorical and not the racists themselves.

That was directed at everyone and I've pointed that out at least twice this morning so what are you actually saying here if not just stirring more poo poo.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

double negative posted:

lol i’m getting a lot of dudes running around in full klan outfits spamming LYNCHED every time they get a kill

On second thought, it might be best to not have darker skin tones in the game.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem

Mighty Dicktron posted:

Well yeah, I bought the game, noticed you could only be white, and refunded it. I'm not loving supporting a game that enables white supremacists like this. The moment that they do add more I will likely play the game and enjoy it, because I enjoyed Chivalry, warts and all, and if this really is better Chivalry then I'm extremely down.

It's just that I'm only down if the devs aren't white supremacists themselves and I want them to prove it.

Excelsiortothemax posted:

Wife wanted to join but no female characters means a lost sale.

It’s odd that nerds are so determined to cut off their nose to spite their face.

I know right. I tried to play Tomb Raider and there was no way to play as Vietnamese guy, game returned. loving bigots.

Dear god people. Play the video game, not the victim.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Tomb Raider doesn't invite you to make a character, so it's a false comparison. Not sure why you'd even make it.

Also no one is crying out about victimization here. I think you're confusing your talking points.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem

Glenn Quebec posted:

Tomb Raider doesn't invite you to make a character, so it's a false comparison. Not sure why you'd even make it.

Also no one is crying out about victimization here. I think you're confusing your talking points.

No you