Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

RatHat posted:

The Ultra Beast missions are more interesting in S/M too aren't they?

That depends on how much you care about characters vs setting. I personally think the USUM interpretation of over-run apocalypse dimensions is way the gently caress cooler than the meandering to-and-fro featuring Looker+Anabel, but Anabel's development through S/M is a rare and cool thing for the games to run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Nasgate posted:

From what I've seen in the thread, the idea is that their waifu gets more development.

:shrug:

Like has been said, she's just a speed bump. Imo they should've just cut her completely out. Maybe give more screentime to Guzma.

Flopsy posted:

I really hate the logic : "It's for kids it's supposed to be dogshit :)"

I never said stories for children are dogshit. But loving lmao if you genuinely think being more of an rear end in a top hat is "better character development" or some poo poo. Pokemon stories are simple, and the characters are usually 2-dimensional because there's no nuance needed to say "Be good to others and never give up"

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

USUM has a bigger selection of Pokémon to choose from as you progress through the game, which leads to more replay value. Heck, once you've reached a certain point, you can catch the original seven Ultra Beasts before you can challenge the league and get limitless numbers of them (alongside other Pokémon not found in Alola).

I think the only Pokémon you're going to miss out on if you play Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon over regular Sun and Moon are a few from the Island Scan (the Johto and Unova starters off if I recall off the top of my head).

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Nasgate posted:

But loving lmao if you genuinely think being more of an rear end in a top hat is "better character development" or some poo poo.

The alternative USUM presents is some trite-rear end anime mind control which is a worse narrative conceit than "being an rear end in a top hat" so :v:

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Also Ultra Necrozma is a bullshit boss fight.

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unicorns are metal. Gundanium alloy to be exact...

Just picked up a copy of Platinum. Any random game bullshit I should be aware of for the story out just the usual "don't build a totally poo poo party and you'll be fine"?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
The day we are rid of gyms and a pokemon league is the day Pokemon will be saved.

SM did alright with it being the first pokemon league in Alola, but the concept of League was finally executed perfectly in Black and White and should be retired like HMs.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

...and now we're going back to a gym system for Sword and Shield.

I say "A" gym system because Nintendo made that tweet that revealed that there are things called "Gym Masters" but nothing's been elaborated upon.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I still kind of feel like Cheren should get to challenge you at the end of B/W.

It would make no sense with the game’s pacing, but the kid beat the Elite Four, he earned the chance to get stomped one last time.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

nrook posted:

I still kind of feel like Cheren should get to challenge you at the end of B/W.

It would make no sense with the game’s pacing, but the kid beat the Elite Four, he earned the chance to get stomped one last time.

He at least kinda got the equivalent by being the first guy you stomp in the sequel.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

RatHat posted:

Also Ultra Necrozma is a bullshit boss fight.

it was the first fight in several generations, maybe since the original RBY, where I was afraid I was going to lose, and very nearly did. motherfucker chewed through five of my Pokémon before I was able to stop it

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I feel like N is not technically officially champion after the castle poo poo upon stomping Alder, less so you. The league rematch is when you get your pokemon registered in the champion pod thing

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

indigi posted:

it was the first fight in several generations, maybe since the original RBY, where I was afraid I was going to lose, and very nearly did. motherfucker chewed through five of my Pokémon before I was able to stop it

I had to use a focus band and throw out my Raichu as a sacrifice to paralyse it with a Nuzzle just so each of my mons would get at least one guaranteed turn.

It was bullshit but I actually really liked that.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

First time I just cheesed the fight with Zoroark since the A.I still has trouble dealing with Illusion effectively. Second time I just used a Magmortar holding a Focus Sash and using Clear Smog (it basically eliminates the Totem Aura, making it far less bullshit).

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I think I ran a Rotom Boost on something that could Calm Mind? Maybe it was Sylveon.

My solution to most BS situations is "running Calm Mind on a type-advantage matchup".

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

d3lness posted:

Togedemaru Ekans Ditto talk?

........Yes.

Nasgate posted:

I never said stories for children are dogshit. But loving lmao if you genuinely think being more of an rear end in a top hat is "better character development" or some poo poo. Pokemon stories are simple, and the characters are usually 2-dimensional because there's no nuance needed to say "Be good to others and never give up"

Being an rear end in a top hat is literally her entire defining character. Shoehorning in a weird redemption arc derails the storyline and other characters motivations. But you seem to think the story needs to be super simplistic and dull because "pokemon" I guess. You know even kids within the age bracket can want something better then that.

Flopsy fucked around with this message at 05:23 on May 7, 2019

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

SirSamVimes posted:

I had to use a focus band and throw out my Raichu as a sacrifice to paralyse it with a Nuzzle just so each of my mons would get at least one guaranteed turn.

It was bullshit but I actually really liked that.

yeah I loved it. especially since there weren’t any warm-up trainers or bosses to sort of let you know what you were in for, it just hits you like a ton of bricks. and the walk to the top of the skyscraper was effectively nerve wracking

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons... for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

The day we are rid of gyms and a pokemon league is the day Pokemon will be saved.

SM did alright with it being the first pokemon league in Alola, but the concept of League was finally executed perfectly in Black and White and should be retired like HMs.

At least Gen 7 gets credit for trying something different with the formula. Not sure how well it was executed, but still.

With the sport theme they've got going with the Gen 8 gyms, I get the feeling they're going to be different from the standard gym, as well. Perhaps they're challenged as a team, and you have to get through a series of double/triple battles in order to get to the gym leader.

As for the Elite Four/Pokemon League, it could be interesting if it's in a randomized "tournament" format: you have to beat four random opponents before the champion. This means you'll have to be prepared to be able to handle a variety of different types, since you don't know whether you'll get a Psychic trainer or a Fighting trainer as your opponent.

I'm curious to see what a Pokemon game without gyms or a league would even look like. Would it just be focused on fighting the evil team as its sole objective?

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Wyvernil posted:

I'm curious to see what a Pokemon game without gyms or a league would even look like. Would it just be focused on fighting the evil team as its sole objective?

Pokemon Colosseum and XD.

I'd like to see what a non-gimmicky take on it would look like, though. It's one of those things I'm surprised fangames haven't picked up on and tried to do yet.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Flopsy posted:

........Yes.

Being an rear end in a top hat is literally her entire defining character. Shoehorning in a weird redemption arc derails the storyline and other characters motivations. But you seem to think the story needs to be super simplistic and dull because "pokemon" I guess. You know even kids within the age bracket can want something better then that.

Uhh i'm not saying they need to be simplistic, 24 years of Pokemon games are. I wouldn't say they're dull though, not sure where you're getting that.

Weird that you consider a character being an irredeemable rear end in a top hat as better writing than a character being an irredeemable rear end in a top hat for reasons though.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Nasgate posted:

Uhh i'm not saying they need to be simplistic, 24 years of Pokemon games are. I wouldn't say they're dull though, not sure where you're getting that.

Weird that you consider a character being an irredeemable rear end in a top hat as better writing than a character being an irredeemable rear end in a top hat for reasons though.

I never said irredeemable. My problem is the execution you're defending. Her reasons for being an rear end in a top hat are grief and drug addiction. She's literally coked out of her brains on neurotoxin for almost the entire game. She's a G rated crack head abusive mother and at the end she's physically and mentally crippled from going down that road. Lillie has to become her caretaker and help her recuperate while she's so out of it she still doesn't understand what she did wrong. It's a much better story then: "Oh I'm just misunderstood I had "reasons" for treating my children hideously and murdering small cuddly creatures" by the way she's not drugged out at all and fully aware and in control of her lovely actions. She then gains complete forgiveness with no lasting repercussions. It technically follows the same story beats you're advocating but one's actually compelling and the other feels lazy as hell.

Flopsy fucked around with this message at 07:25 on May 7, 2019

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

I'm apparently in the minority here but I prefer USUM's story, including treatment of Lillie/Lusamine. And also it doesn't drag on quite as long and gets to its points faster - compare just the intro where SM just drones on and on whereas USUM cuts out most of that and gives you a pokemon right away.

Emalde posted:

the meandering to-and-fro featuring Looker+Anabel

This too, USUM postgame at least gives you fights.

Avalerion fucked around with this message at 07:04 on May 7, 2019

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Avalerion posted:

I'm apparently in the minority here but I prefer USUM's story, including treatment of Lillie/Lusamine. And also it doesn't drag on quite as long and gets to its points faster - compare just the intro where SM just drones on and on whereas USUM cuts out most of that and gives you a pokemon right away.

This too, USUM postgame at least gives you fights.

I liked the add-ons to Ultra space, surfing mechanics and the ultra recon squad. It's got good game content and it works well within that context definitely. It's just the story felt a lot emptier and less endearing. I feel like Lusamine really took off as a popular character so they had to stuff that "Oh no she's still a good mother!" poo poo in there. Even by USUM standards she's really not. At the very least in SM they're working on the fact she's seriously mentally hosed up and needs actual help in that sense along with medical attention. And mother beast was such a kickass horrifying scene even if it felt silly we were having a pokemon battle and not really fighting her.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
In ORAS are the Safari Zone and some Mirage spots the only places where you need both bikes?

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

RatHat posted:

In ORAS are the Safari Zone and some Mirage spots the only places where you need both bikes?

I think you may need both on the road leading down from the volcano.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

I think you may need both on the road leading down from the volcano.

Nope you can get everything with just the Acro.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I had 1 buff Mon survive a hit and get off a toxic and the rest of my mons p much where there to stall for time.

Necrozma was a cool fight, only one I got close to losing.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The Pokémon battle against mother beast being slightly silly was worth it for angry eyes Clefable.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

d3lness posted:

Just picked up a copy of Platinum. Any random game bullshit I should be aware of for the story out just the usual "don't build a totally poo poo party and you'll be fine"?

Platinum is the best of Gen IV, which is a low bar to clear. If you like fire types, you're gonna be disappointed.
And gently caress roaming pokemon forever.

Aside from that:
:havlat: :havlat: :havlat: SHINY TAPU FINI HAS BEEN ANNOUNCED :havlat: :havlat: :havlat:

https://3ds.pokemon-gl.com/information/986a6896-e2ad-4c7c-b050-a6984d597e93

The May International Challenge's participation award is the last of the shiny Tapus to get released. Team registration begins on May 16th. Details in the link above.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
So even if you don't intend to seriously compete you can just sign up, play(and lose) a battle, and get your shiny right? Actually the rules don't even say you need to play a single battle.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

USUM's story is better because it has the Skull grunts who got banned from the beach because they kept trying to dance while surfing.

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unicorns are metal. Gundanium alloy to be exact...

E: I can't read.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Just learned of the racist Gengar mystery gift. At the Platinum release party in New York someone set up a fake mystery gift(complete with fake posters) and distributed a Gengar named the N-word with racist moves and ability(keep in mind there were children at this event). They were caught by security and were apparently a fat neckbeard dressed in a Team Rocket outfit :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hXJw6Kr4JY

Ironically it may be the rarest "event" Pokemon at this point.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 12:23 on May 7, 2019

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

I actually remember when that was discussed all those years ago. I assumed it was a fake since, why would I expect that someone could edit around a rom to distribute a Pokemon, much less a racist ghost?

With the knowledge I have now about rom hacking, it's both unfortunate and interesting how this scheme even occurred. Though I'd have no way of verifying it personally, since I don't live anywhere near NY.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I just like how the culprit dressed the part

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

I GOT FLAT FEET JUST LIKE MY HERO MEGAMAN
Total Clam

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Mega pinsir is literally one of the best megas holy poo poo

And outclassed by Mega Salamence in almost every way except lack of a priority move. Mega Pinsir is aerilate quick attack or bust.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

RatHat posted:

So even if you don't intend to seriously compete you can just sign up, play(and lose) a battle, and get your shiny right? Actually the rules don't even say you need to play a single battle.

You need to do three battles during the official event window (I think it's the 24th-26th) to get the participation award. I forgot for one of these and didn't get the Pokemon code.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

Nth Doctor posted:

You need to do three battles during the official event window (I think it's the 24th-26th) to get the participation award. I forgot for one of these and didn't get the Pokemon code.

Also make sure to log in when they send people their codes. This is how I nabbed a shiny mimikyu.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Iron Crowned posted:

I just like how the culprit dressed the part

I would like it but I wish they hadn't have been racist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

ItBreathes posted:

Also, I really liked Mystery Dungeon red back in the day, should I pick up super mystery dungeon?

If you're hoping for a deep involved Story with SMD, skip it, because it's a rehash of Gates and takes about 12 hours to actually kick off, and even then, it's like...20 minutes of content between another slog of running through dungeons

And the dungeon between the tutorial town (which takes about 10 hours to complete) is an absolutely brutal endeavor

This game introduces a lot of new items and using them is almost required if you ever want to progress in a timely manner

The music is on point as always though

My single fondest memory of the game is managing to accidentally time the 30-second intro to Fire Island Volcano to the character text, then when the strings kicked in, I entered the dungeon for the first time