Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Maybe I missed it but I don't remember the Institute ever actually explaining what they were doing with the replacement program. Like you get there and they talk about how they're not bad guys but you're never given an option to say "Well, what about the whole thing where you're kidnapping people and replacing them?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Schubalts posted:

Real life people have faked their own shootings for far less.

...But if they "disappear" or replace those humans who accidentally discover their safehouse or operatives and cannot be trusted, doesn't that essentially make them the nicer version of the body snatchers, from the viewpoint of wasteland survivors? As in, you don't get actively swapped like with the Institute, only if you intervene on the Railroad businesses and are considered a problem.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Der Kyhe posted:

...But if they "disappear" or replace those humans who accidentally discover their safehouse or operatives and cannot be trusted, doesn't that essentially make them the nicer version of the body snatchers, from the viewpoint of wasteland survivors? As in, you don't get actively swapped like with the Institute, only if you intervene on the Railroad businesses and are considered a problem.

They don't do that, though. The Railroad evacuates and abandons safehouses that get discovered, and does not replace people with synths. If you actively attack or antagonize the Railroad, then of course they're going to get rid of you. The same as everyone else in the Wasteland does to aggressors.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

grittyreboot posted:

For villains, the Institute didn't really seem to have any big ambitions. Sure they were going to continue occasionally kidnapping people for undefined reasons, but you're already saving whole settlements from Super Murants as an afterthought. At least try to nuke Diamond City or something.

I was so ashamed when I found out what had become of my failson, leader of the two-bit nonsensical villain faction.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Bethesda's storytelling method of making everyone hostile and having you read a couple of text logs after they're dead doesn't seem to work so well.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I picked up Nuclear Throne for the switch and while I've probably gotten my $7 worth at this point I kind of regret picking it up. I was looking for something to scratch my Risk of Rain itch now that I've unlocked everything in that and this does not do that.

I don't unlock anything new so it's just throw myself against the levels over and over at the whim of the rng with no progression.

I was going to pick up Binding of Isaac because a friend of mine swears it's really deep with lots to unlock but lol Nintendo wants $40 for it

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

grittyreboot posted:

For villains, the Institute didn't really seem to have any big ambitions. Sure they were going to continue occasionally kidnapping people for undefined reasons, but you're already saving whole settlements from Super Murants as an afterthought. At least try to nuke Diamond City or something.

Honestly, the most hilarious consequence of Fallout 4's bad writing is that they made the Designated Villain faction, the one that judging by their ending the writers literally couldn't think of a good, moral reason to join, is probably actually the best choice. They have projects that'll help, that will clearly bear fruit not too far from now, that they're clearly competent enough to execute. They're just weirdly kidnap-happy for some reason, and their best work isn't done yet. Long-term they're a far better choice than basically anyone else on the table, and they aren't really doing anything both evil and large-scale.

But nope, the writers could only imagine one reason to join, and that's because your son's leading them (are we really spoiling this? I feel like anyone who cares has already played it).

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 01:50 on May 7, 2019

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Len posted:

I was going to pick up Binding of Isaac because a friend of mine swears it's really deep with lots to unlock but lol Nintendo wants $40 for it

lemme tell you right now BoI is not a $40 game, and has only gotten worse with every update / "totally the final DLC this time, guys" dlc since Rebirth

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER
[quote="food court bailiff" post="494856632"]
If you literally don't remember the entirety of Psychotronics then uh....I don't think the problem was really with the game.

e: also it's pretty loving stupid to do a quest literally marked from the beginning as an alternate ending and then get pissed when you do it and gives you an ending, but like, you do you
[/quote

Dude this is gonna blow your mind, but I don’t have the entirety of a video game I played several years ago that I found disappointing and underwhelming memorized. There are also plenty of alternate endings in video games that don’t spoil ruin the real ending. There is no need to be rude or mean in this, it’s a lovely video game from several years ago.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I agree that Prey's alternate early ending spoiling the twist sucks. Telegraphing it is one thing, and literally just spelling it out is another, and it's definitely a case of the latter. There were more tactful ways to handle doing such an ending if they really felt it was necessary to allow the player to try it.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

food court bailiff posted:

If you literally don't remember the entirety of Psychotronics then uh....I don't think the problem was really with the game.

e: also it's pretty loving stupid to do a quest literally marked from the beginning as an alternate ending and then get pissed when you do it and gives you an ending, but like, you do you

Dude this is gonna blow your mind, but I don’t have the entirety of a video game I played several years ago that I found disappointing and underwhelming memorized. There are also plenty of alternate endings in video games that don’t ruin the real ending. There is no need to be rude or mean in this, it’s a lovely video game from several years ago.

Olaf The Stout has a new favorite as of 03:00 on May 7, 2019

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Olaf The Stout posted:

There is no need to be rude or mean in this, it’s a lovely video game from several years ago.

I think you mean "one of the best games of 2017" (since 2017 was a particularly good year for games).

It's worth finishing, the ending is worth getting to and the irritating bits of it are easily sped through.

Prey's twists aren't even really twists - the game foreshadows most of them to the point that even the "oh but the real twist is blah blah" is itself telegraphed pretty heavily. It's more just about the experience and general story going through.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

bewilderment posted:

I think you mean "one of the best games of 2017" (since 2017 was a particularly good year for games).

It's worth finishing, the ending is worth getting to and the irritating bits of it are easily sped through.

Prey's twists aren't even really twists - the game foreshadows most of them to the point that even the "oh but the real twist is blah blah" is itself telegraphed pretty heavily. It's more just about the experience and general story going through.

I in fact do not mean that, I would have said that if I did.

I’m glad people enjoyed it. Good for them! I didn’t enjoy it so I’m saying so, in this thread about not liking certain games,.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Olaf The Stout posted:

I in fact do not mean that, I would have said that if I did.

I’m glad people enjoyed it. Good for them! I didn’t enjoy it so I’m saying so, in this thread about not liking certain games,.

Yeah but ya said "lovely game from several years ago" which was the nitpick, because it was not several years ago and while you not liking it is fine a lot of people agree it was distinctly not poo poo.

On topic of prey, I never made as much use out of the typhon neuromods as I probably could have because it gave the impression it would lead to a bad end if i used too many. As a result of this not only did I not really touch on the cool and weird psi powers, but it meant I needed to find a different use for my energy and gravitated toward the only human power, which meant I became a shotgun god and then the game was boring. It's at least partially my own fault, but it still kinda sucked.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost
In Prey if you do a human-neuromods-only run you gradually become Doomguy. If you do a Typhon-neuromods-only run you gradually become the level one AD&D magic user who gets killed by a housecat.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Zoig posted:

Yeah but ya said "lovely game from several years ago" which was the nitpick, because it was not several years ago

every year since 11/9 has lasted at least three years #truefact

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Olaf, please never play Mario. It's very predictable.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

“I was not paying attention to this game and it made me angry” is now my favorite dumb game complaint so thanks, Olaf.

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009

Len posted:

I picked up Nuclear Throne for the switch and while I've probably gotten my $7 worth at this point I kind of regret picking it up. I was looking for something to scratch my Risk of Rain itch now that I've unlocked everything in that and this does not do that.

I don't unlock anything new so it's just throw myself against the levels over and over at the whim of the rng with no progression.

Get Enter the Gungeon! It gets better the longer you play as you unlock more and more guns. It is based more on skill than RNG (though RNG definitely helps)

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

A HUNGRY MOUTH posted:

In Prey if you do a human-neuromods-only run you gradually become Doomguy. If you do a Typhon-neuromods-only run you gradually become the level one AD&D magic user who gets killed by a housecat.

Yeah the way neuromods are divided can be funny because when you first consider an 'alien neuromods only' run you think "oh that won't be too bad and I'll just use psychic powers more" but then it turns out that you can't upgrade:

- your health
- run speed
- carrying capacity (this is a huge one)
- even your psi point cap, maybe?
- need to use telekinesis to pick things up, because you can't regular-carry them

If someone's desperate to get every achievement, it's probably easier to do a human-only run, then a no-mods run, and then reload the no-mods save and get a single alien ability right at the end.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

Bethesda's storytelling method of making everyone hostile and having you read a couple of text logs after they're dead doesn't seem to work so well.

Solid post/username combo

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It comes up in this thread pretty often but I feel like a big part of that is the fact that these hostile people can never be reasoned with in any way, in games from a developer who claims that reactions to player decisions is the core of their design philosophy. If you make someone non-hostile by pacifying them or otherwise making them cower, they just come back and try to kill you again except with one hp left. It just sucks.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Len posted:

I completely love Nuclear Throne, and I hope you stick with it or come back to it later. Then again, I was never that into Risk of Rain or Isaac, so maybe we just like different things.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

CJacobs posted:

It comes up in this thread pretty often but I feel like a big part of that is the fact that these hostile people can never be reasoned with in any way, in games from a developer who claims that reactions to player decisions is the core of their design philosophy. If you make someone non-hostile by pacifying them or otherwise making them cower, they just come back and try to kill you again except with one hp left. It just sucks.
Another reason that Morrowind was a better game than Skyrim. Sure, there were plenty of randomly-named hostile people, but they had reasons to be there. They were slavers or drug traders or you had otherwise stumbled across their illegal operations. Other enemies would go hostile automatically at the end of dialogue. Every fight in MW makes sense, and they're never against someone named Large Bandit.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

bewilderment posted:

Yeah the way neuromods are divided can be funny because when you first consider an 'alien neuromods only' run you think "oh that won't be too bad and I'll just use psychic powers more" but then it turns out that you can't upgrade:

- your health
- run speed
- carrying capacity (this is a huge one)
- even your psi point cap, maybe?
- need to use telekinesis to pick things up, because you can't regular-carry them

If someone's desperate to get every achievement, it's probably easier to do a human-only run, then a no-mods run, and then reload the no-mods save and get a single alien ability right at the end.

You can't upgrade your psi point capacity except with a particular psychoscope chip, and you have so few chipset slots (which you also can't increase) that that's probably not even one you want to be using most of the time. So you end up feeling like you have a big bag of tricks that you can't really use.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

FactsAreUseless posted:

Another reason that Morrowind was a better game than Skyrim. Sure, there were plenty of randomly-named hostile people, but they had reasons to be there. They were slavers or drug traders or you had otherwise stumbled across their illegal operations. Other enemies would go hostile automatically at the end of dialogue. Every fight in MW makes sense, and they're never against someone named Large Bandit.

Cliff Racer

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

The Saboteur had a really cool alternate / joke ending.

You raced the main bad guy in the prologue map, with no guns available, unless you grinded the driving skill enough and unlocked the last tier which IIRC was all cars have guns on them. You where able to kill the main bad guy during the race if you did that, and it played a short "and then the game never happened cause DickbagMcMean is dead already", rolled credits and even gave you the beat game achievement.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

FactsAreUseless posted:

I think the best was that one of the master trainers was hostile by default, so if you wanted their tutelage you had to figure out a way to calm them down.

It makes sense! Why shouldn't one of the best rear end-kickers in the region be out to kick everyone's rear end.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Len posted:

If part of that itch was "steadily building up to a absurd level of power while unlocking new stuff each run" Then I can also recommend enter the gungeon, although personally I didn't like it because while It does get silly it gets nowhere near as silly as risk of rain anytime soon.

However, I can also recommend wizard of legend which has a much more lax difficulty curve because cursed items exist. You get gems each run, and then spend those on new options for spells and items and cloaks to start with, but doing so also expands the possible pool of things you can find in a run. After a certain point you can end up taking bosses out in a single spell combo and its amazing.

Also its magic is a lot like bending in avatar and that's neat.

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!

Desperate Character posted:

Get Enter the Gungeon! It gets better the longer you play as you unlock more and more guns. It is based more on skill than RNG (though RNG definitely helps)

I find that Gungeon runs are kinda boring if you don't get a good gun in the first couple of chests. Like, the first floor boss is doable with the starting gun, it just takes forever. But every floor after that increases everything's health, so you /need/ a decent gun by the third floor or you're gonna eventually die because you couldn't kill things fast enough to keep your health from being eaten by stray bullets. And it's entirely possible to NOT get a good gun, because there are just so many possible drops.

And then there's the elevator system, where from what I can tell you have to do RNG-heavy challenge runs (bring me 4 keys and 280 dollars at the same time!) in order to unlock the ability to skip floors, which is useless anyways because you miss out on a ton of items doing that.

I play it every once in a while, and yeah it's definitely more skill-based than Isaac, but out of the two a good Isaac run is more fun than a good Gungeon run. Although Afterbirth+ is terrible.

Edit: Gungeon also has the problem where when you die it takes a non-trivial amount of time to restart the run. Isaac is literally 2-3 seconds tops - you watch the death animation play, a screen pops up, you hit a button and you've restarted. Gungeon plays your death, does the clockhair thing which takes 2-3 seconds, then the book opens which takes a couple more seconds, and then finally gives you the option to hit a button to restart, whereupon it plays the elevator level start animation again before you can start moving. It doesn't seem like much, but when you die frequently it adds up very fast. There might be an option in the last update to speed it up some, but I haven't looked into that yet.

JackSplater has a new favorite as of 15:01 on May 7, 2019

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

JackSplater posted:

Edit: Gungeon also has the problem where when you die it takes a non-trivial amount of time to restart the run. Isaac is literally 2-3 seconds tops - you watch the death animation play, a screen pops up, you hit a button and you've restarted. Gungeon plays your death, does the clockhair thing which takes 2-3 seconds, then the book opens which takes a couple more seconds, and then finally gives you the option to hit a button to restart, whereupon it plays the elevator level start animation again before you can start moving. It doesn't seem like much, but when you die frequently it adds up very fast. There might be an option in the last update to speed it up some, but I haven't looked into that yet.

My least favorite thing in games like this is the loading time between attempts. Hotline Miami spoiled me with the near instantaneous load times, and now every time I die and have to wait more than 30ns I get grumpy.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I'm sure its unfamiliarity and my general mood (I'm grumpy and looking into my backlog for something new), but Dying Light is annoying me early on because I'm trying to get a feel for the game (not even sure when I bought it), but the game not orchestrating what is something I can climb onto or not is annoying me. I'm only in the tutorial with the crane, and it was a lowkey pain to find which parts of it the game would let me jump up to.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

MisterBibs posted:

I'm sure its unfamiliarity and my general mood (I'm grumpy and looking into my backlog for something new), but Dying Light is annoying me early on because I'm trying to get a feel for the game (not even sure when I bought it), but the game not orchestrating what is something I can climb onto or not is annoying me. I'm only in the tutorial with the crane, and it was a lowkey pain to find which parts of it the game would let me jump up to.

If the wall doesn't have poo poo protruding from it, you probably can't climb it. here's a good tip: maybe don't get the wall run skill, because if you run up a wall and are unable to climb to the top of it, Crane will turn around and leap off the wall unless you let him slide to the bottom.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I'm not pretending that that Ultra Despair Girls is anything approaching a decent game, but the fact that it's a portable game that doesn't have the option to turn on subtitles in cutscenes is loving ridiculous.

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018
Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm: The Land of Waves story with Zabuza, Haku and the building of the Naruto Bridge is completely absent.

Gitro
May 29, 2013
Total Warhammer 2 keeps doing this cool thing where it complained about not enough disk space on an update, then deleted all my local files, and is now deleting all my local files instead of finishing an install when I copy over the backup to save 30 loving gigs of download.

somehow while doing this my my pinned and frequent folders got cleared, so that's neat too.

Gitro has a new favorite as of 06:30 on May 8, 2019

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Gitro posted:

Total Warhammer 2 keeps doing this cool thing where it complained about not enough disk space on an update, then deleted all my local files, and is now deleting all my local files instead of finishing an install when I copy over the backup to save 30 loving gigs of download.

somehow while doing this my my pinned and frequent folders got cleared, so that's neat too.

the term is scrap code OP

Gitro
May 29, 2013
well maybe they should write good code instead

haha sick it just both deleted local content AND won't start the dl because of disk space, a very powerful combo indeed

Gitro has a new favorite as of 06:43 on May 8, 2019

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I'm still only doing everyone's first chapters, but Octopath Traveler is a really fun and relatively light-hearted classic-style JRPG, that I could imagine being fantastic for nearly any age.

...except for one character's story. Primrose, the dancer, has a story that just feels completely out of step with the entire rest of the game in both content and tone. It's just really dark and brutal out of basically nowhere, and deals with subject matter so much more adult than the rest of the game's standard fare that I'm not surprised that in some countries it raised the game's classification rating by itself. I know it did, because it's the only part of the game doing one of the things that gets blipped on the Australian classification message on my game's box.

It's still a decent story, but the rest of the game is totally in-keeping with stuff like Chrono Trigger, Pokemon or one of the softer Final Fantasies, and then you've got this one character whose story feels more at home as a darker turn in something like Dragon Age or The Witcher. It's a crazy level of whiplash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

My good runs in Nuclear Throne seem to be based entirely on whether or not I get a wrench. If I get one of those I become a nearly invincible god of war until the ice maps where I die to explosions. If I don't I probably won't make it past the first sewers