Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Good luck on the recovery, QC.

Note to ai in general -- we've helped others, I can't see how we don't get qc some crown vic saving funds. Is there an easy way to get it to her and maintain her anonymity?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

Queen Combat posted:

In, uh, car news, I may have to sell the crown vic to make rent

PM me your PayPal/whatever address. It won’t be major but I’ll help in what way I can. You’re a good person and you shouldn’t have to give up reliable transport to live.

^^^ or whatever hivegoonmind comes up with

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Queen Combat posted:

Not allowed to talk, cough, or even mouth words for the next month, and all signs say I may not even be able to talk for eight anyway.

Wait, eight what? Not months surely?

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

meatpimp posted:

Good luck on the recovery, QC.

Note to ai in general -- we've helped others, I can't see how we don't get qc some crown vic saving funds. Is there an easy way to get it to her and maintain her anonymity?

Yeah, vote democratic party in every election you can. Free healthcare for all should be loving mandatory in this richass country.

Someone privately set up something with her and we can Venmo/Paypal the intermediary. I bought stupid Lowtax $100 worth of spine glue and all he did was y'know, make the world's best forum

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

cakesmith handyman posted:

Wait, eight what? Not months surely?

Eight weeks, my bad for ambiguously wording that bit.

I don't/didn't expect anything, at all. But (I think this is how it works?) my paypal.me link is PayPal.Me/TeaganOBrennan. Super surprised about all that response, thought the surgery stuff would be more interesting because we're all morbid weirdos here that happen to also like cars.

Queen Combat fucked around with this message at 11:05 on May 7, 2019

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Queen Combat posted:

I don't/didn't expect anything, at all. But (I think this is how it works?) my paypal.me link is PayPal.Me/TeaganOBrennan. Super surprised about all that response, thought the surgery stuff would be more interesting because we're all morbid weirdos here that happen to also like cars.

Hell yeah. We're morbid weirdos that like cars and helping other morbid weirdos. If you can keep the Crown Vic, you have to do a burnout.

In other news, I bought an ebike last week. A Juiced CityScrambler. I bought it at a parts price because it was on a bike rack behind the guy's SUV and it got rear ended. It tweaked the frame, crankset and bottom bracket and derailleur.

But it only had 18 miles on it and was virtually perfect other than that. I had the frame welded and reinforced, got a new crankset and I've got over 20 miles on it. I am quickly going to the electric-is-better side... The bike is a blast to ride and maintains an easy 25mph. It's fun and quiet and skirts laws because it's technically an electric-assisted bike, so I can use multi-use paths as well as roads. Around here, that's a huge advantage.

I also switched to an electric lawnmower and it mows my 1/3 acre lot as competently as a gas mower, only quieter and with less bullshit small engine maintenance.

Same with pressure washer.

I need an electric car.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I like my electric yard stuff (leaf blower and trimmer) but not ready to jump to a mower just yet since my yard is almost a half acre. As is I have to use two batteries to get all the trimming and such done. One is a 4Ah and the other is a 3 maybe (Ryobi, it's still the "big" size but not sure what the rating is as it doesn't say on it in big letters like the other one). I wouldn't mind the lack of noise since I use headphones and over ear earmuffs as is. I ride my bike for the exercise and prefer it without aids, but that may change as I get older. I still don't think they're accepted on MTB trails at this point either. Seems a lot of people fear change and worry that it's going to tear up the trails, but if they're pedal assist only then I don't see the big deal. I would be pissed getting passed on an uphill by a smug old fatty though. :corsair:

Electric cars are the future, man. At least that's what they tell us. Curious how this is going to play out when it becomes too expensive to mine for lithium and cobalt and all the dino juice runs out. I'd really like to see hydrogen work.

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 12:37 on May 7, 2019

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
QC - Do they take anything extra out of that paypal.me link? I'm going to be sending some your way, and have the old address if it's still valid. Want to put it to the most good use.

Edit: And I'm not sure I understand the procedure. Vocal chords?

I want electric car, but not sure I want in on Tesla, and even then, we needed something cheaper and sooner - so we got the civic instead. Guess we'll be using up that glorious dino-juice for a bit longer. Guys... we're so hosed. Climate/ecological disaster is coming, and yet - I feel like there's not much I can do... Blah.

Beverly Cleavage fucked around with this message at 12:43 on May 7, 2019

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

STR posted:

There's a few - the closest to Addison proper (which is only 4.4 square miles) would be LOOK, which is on Beltline (the main road through Addison), but on the Dallas side (go east of the tollway, go past a couple of lights, and you'll find it on the north side). Studio Movie Grill started in Dallas, and they have a location in Richardson (not too far from Addison), but that area is pretty ghetto. Alamo Drafthouse is also in (a better part of) Richardson.

D-D-D-Double post!

Yeah, I'm a few blocks from LOOK it appears - so that was my plan.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

We’ve got one of the Mitsubishi PHEV outlanders at work and since we told Mitsubishi that it was never getting charged they fiddled with the settings and the drat thing is returning 3.9L/100! The two we have that DO get charged are sitting at 1.7 and 1.9L/100!

Hybrid tech is getting a lot better!

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

meatpimp posted:

I also switched to an electric lawnmower and it mows my 1/3 acre lot as competently as a gas mower, only quieter and with less bullshit small engine maintenance.

Same with pressure washer.

I need an electric car.

Only downside to the electric pressure washers is there is no way in hell they will ever flow +2GPM.
I haven't found a foam cannon that works well at less than 2GPM.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Beverly Cleavage posted:

I want electric car, but not sure I want in on Tesla, and even then, we needed something cheaper and sooner - so we got the civic instead. Guess we'll be using up that glorious dino-juice for a bit longer. Guys... we're so hosed. Climate/ecological disaster is coming, and yet - I feel like there's not much I can do... Blah.

Kinda where I'm at. Electric cars just move the problem to the power generation industry. I want to get a job closer to home and bike to work so I feel like I'm doing something.

Keep feeling like this would make a good book, in 50-100 years when all the fuel is gone and battery metals gone then what the gently caress happens with society. I love sci-fi and post apocalyptic novels but it's looking less and less like fiction. :shepicide:

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Applebees Appetizer posted:

I figured he meant the condenser, but he was trying to tell me there were lines going into the radiator itself and I’m looking at it wondering wtf he was talking about. It’s probably just easier to do it that way and just bill the customer but gently caress that I’m not gonna pay for it anyway.

Did you mean the service manager or the manager of the entire dealership? Should I threaten Twitter rants if they don’t want to play ball?

I need to research how to do the job without loving with the ac just in case, no way I’m paying anywhere near that to replace a loving radiator

Go be nice to the Service Manager and tell him it's pretty obvious his tech wrenched your radiator, if he doesn't play ball go find the General Manager and get pissed at him. General Manager's get paid lots and lots of money to get yelled at.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Suburban Dad posted:

Kinda where I'm at. Electric cars just move the problem to the power generation industry. I want to get a job closer to home and bike to work so I feel like I'm doing something.

Keep feeling like this would make a good book, in 50-100 years when all the fuel is gone and battery metals gone then what the gently caress happens with society. I love sci-fi and post apocalyptic novels but it's looking less and less like fiction. :shepicide:

It doesn't matter. We'll have the climate uninhabitable by then and the insect collapse will bring a long, agonizing death to our perversion of this world.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

meatpimp posted:

It doesn't matter. We'll have the climate uninhabitable by then and the insect collapse will bring a long, agonizing death to our perversion of this world.

And that, right there, is why I'm starting to really be depressed/anxious for my kids.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Beverly Cleavage posted:

And that, right there, is why I'm starting to really be depressed/anxious for my kids.

Yeah but the billionaires are saying it's totally ok, it's just like 99% of all scientists that are saying we're hosed and we all know scientists don't know poo poo and what's worse than that is they're poor so their opinion matters even less. Just carry on as you are, it's all fine. Honest.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

The billionaires know it’s not ok, they just don’t give a gently caress because they’ll be dead by the time it happens so they just need to funnel more money up their asses in the meantime

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I came out to my mom a few weeks ago and one of her responses was "do we need to get you a different car? a crown victoria isn't very girly haha"

i am very tired

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Fender Anarchist posted:

i am very tired

I'm imagining your avatar saying this while being forced to play guitar under threat of torture.

That probably doesn't make you feel better, but good luck fellow goon. Things will work out.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

i really wanna get rid of this stupid loving av but i'm sure some bitter fuckwit will just change it again

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Queen Combat posted:

Quoting this to make sure it persists down the chat thread.

Sorry you’re in the awfully common position where you’re forced to choose between your health and being able to live. Hope your recovery is quick and without complication. Please let us know if we can help with anything other than keeping a roof over your head in the next couple of months- as others have mentioned, we’ve funded significantly less noble causes in the past. :)

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Fender Anarchist posted:

a crown victoria isn't very girly haha"

I've known way more women with panther cars than dudes tho, and they're not really all that masculine a car at least as V8 FR sedans go. Even the older bricky ones aren't particularly butch compared to their competitors or their stablemates.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yeah my wife drove two crown vics over a period of ten years it’s a co ed car :v:

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
It isn't about what a car is actually like, it's the perception.
A Crown Vic is a big V8 car like your grandpa's! For manly men when men were men and definitely did NOT kiss other men in public.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

KakerMix posted:

It isn't about what a car is actually like, it's the perception.
A Crown Vic is a big V8 car like your grandpa's! For manly men when men were men and definitely did NOT kiss other men in public.

False!

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Just woke up, and ai think I'll be able to keep the car. Holy poo poo! It's gone from "it's gonna be tight for this month" to "as long as nothing stupid happens, you're gonna be good until July," which is when a Pell grant could/should pay the school and I get an overpayment. Don't know if I'm good until graduation, but this is at least another four months right there, I'd be crying right now but that's not allowed either (according to the doc) :v: :unsmith:. Stupid dead gay subforum, thank you!

To keep it on-topic, if all goes okay my next car will be an electric one, too. Don't plan on buying a new gas car, ever, and would be kind of nice to say, "in my generation, some people's only ICE-powered vehicle purchases were used."

E: yeah, vocal cord/surgery. The cords were lasered thin, stitched partially together, and then pulled tight by moving the entire larynx about 1 3/4 cm "higher," towards the teeth.

Queen Combat fucked around with this message at 19:05 on May 7, 2019

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

meatpimp posted:

Such a one upper (when it comes to depressing thoughts and sadness :smith:).

T-Square
May 14, 2009

I really really would like an eBike, Zero has some cool poo poo, but riding a motorcycle with no clutch/gears really rubs me the wrong way.

Edit: something something organ donor

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I was looking up some stupid poo poo yesterday, apparently if you limit one of those electric superbikes to a 70kph top speed, they qualify as a moped in Alberta.

Then i found this, which qualifies as a power bicycle, and you don't need a license, insurance, registration or plates, and you can gently caress off down bike paths with it.

http://www.daymak.com/em1.html

Only weighs 200lbs, too, so i could probably pick it up and throw it in my trunk.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

:lol: That's literally a knock-off electric Grom, I love it!

Edit: Also lol at the zoomed in picture of the BLUETOOH MP3 PLAYER haphazardly bolted to the undertail with a piece of scrap metal.

T-Square fucked around with this message at 19:38 on May 7, 2019

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Powershift posted:

I was looking up some stupid poo poo yesterday, apparently if you limit one of those electric superbikes to a 70kph top speed, they qualify as a moped in Alberta.

Then i found this, which qualifies as a power bicycle, and you don't need a license, insurance, registration or plates, and you can gently caress off down bike paths with it.

http://www.daymak.com/em1.html

Only weighs 200lbs, too, so i could probably pick it up and throw it in my trunk.

Seems to be form over function (500w motor is limiting). Here's what I picked up (needing work at a fraction of the price): https://www.juicedbikes.com/products/scrambler

750w Bafang motor and I'm humming along at 28-29mph with some pedaling on my part. Plus, it looks more like a "bike," so there's little chance of being hassled (especially on paths).

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

NumbersMatching320 posted:

I've known way more women with panther cars than dudes tho, and they're not really all that masculine a car at least as V8 FR sedans go. Even the older bricky ones aren't particularly butch compared to their competitors or their stablemates.

it's named for Queen Victoria

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

meatpimp posted:

Seems to be form over function (500w motor is limiting). Here's what I picked up (needing work at a fraction of the price): https://www.juicedbikes.com/products/scrambler

750w Bafang motor and I'm humming along at 28-29mph with some pedaling on my part. Plus, it looks more like a "bike," so there's little chance of being hassled (especially on paths).

500w is the legal limit for a "power assist bicycle". there is no legal limit for moped, just the 70kph speed limiter, but a moped would need a vin, insurance, registration, and only be allowed on roads.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

Fender Anarchist posted:

it's named for Queen Victoria

:hmmyes:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

By that logic, the 1859 HMS victoria is a girl's boat, meaning any boat with less than 121 guns is also a girl's boat.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I think the point is there's no such thing as a "girl car" or a "boy car."

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

KillHour posted:

I think the point is there's no such thing as a "girl car" or a "boy car."

Have you seen the movie Cars?

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Powershift posted:

By that logic, the 1859 HMS victoria is a girl's boat, meaning any boat with less than 121 guns is also a girl's boat.

Isn't almost every boat a girl boat?

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
I thought most cars were girls too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then

The Door Frame posted:

Isn't almost every boat a girl boat?
Only in the us. Russian boats are hims, I think.