Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
Yeah... Sam's Club just punts you over to TrueCar, and dealers will actively go out of their way to not honor the TrueCar price. The only benefit of using Costco or Sam's Club is around Thanksgiving/Christmas when the manufacturers give you additional incentives that you can't get otherwise. FCA did that with Sams... I seem to remember Volvo did it with Costco.

edit: ed balls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

fknlo posted:

This doesn't work when you have to use their financing to save a ton of money.

There's no reason why "their financing" can't be all electronic. It's just financing delivered by some large financial institution.

It's all part of the show. I should be able to fill out a form with all the relevant info at a kiosk at the dealership or before I arrive and get my new keys 5 minutes after a price has been decided upon. But then the finance guy can't pressure you for an extended warranty 5 times while filling out the paperwork if you do that.

Two times the finance guy had props. Props! "Do you know what this is? It's an ECU and it's expensive, it's like the brains of your car. It's so much more expensive than the price of the warranty even!"

When I asked him how they made money on the warranty if ECUs were so failure prone, he wasn't amused. I also had to make him redo the paperwork once because he included it anyway since it was only $5 more a month.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

TheWevel posted:

Yeah... Sam's Club just punts you over to TrueCar, and dealers will actively go out of their way to not honor the TrueCar price. The only benefit of using Costco or Sam's Club is around Thanksgiving/Christmas when the manufacturers give you additional incentives that you can't get otherwise. FCA did that with Sams... I seem to remember Volvo did it with Costco.

edit: ed balls

Speaking of which, when's the best time of the year to buy a car? I'm looking at getting a new car sometime this year, probably a 2019 once the 2020s start going on sale.

Last car we bought was on Halloween and I recall they seemed pretty eager to make the sale that day.

Something Offal
Jan 12, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

FCKGW posted:

Speaking of which, when's the best time of the year to buy a car? I'm looking at getting a new car sometime this year, probably a 2019 once the 2020s start going on sale.

Last car we bought was on Halloween and I recall they seemed pretty eager to make the sale that day.

I think seasonal sales is an overblown perception (it's one that helps dealers bring customers in so it's encouraged), I don't think there is much practical difference in prices over the year, the obvious exception being older models once new ones come in.

So it depends on when new models are released, which differs a bit by make.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
last week I emailed a sales guy, "Hey, I want XXX but it isn't in stock, are you going to get more back in?" and the reply was "Hey there, XXX isn't in stock but we have all these other models!"

like, he just replied back with what I already knew.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

FCKGW posted:

The best time to buy a car is when you're trying to buy a slow-selling model that sits on lots forever, but is not so old that the manufacturer has stopped piling incentives on it.

You get a good deal by buying unloved sedans when the entire market wants crossovers and trucks. Do you want an unloved sedan?

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

Proud Christian Mom posted:

last week I emailed a sales guy, "Hey, I want XXX but it isn't in stock, are you going to get more back in?" and the reply was "Hey there, XXX isn't in stock but we have all these other models!"

like, he just replied back with what I already knew.

Emails are lead generators for dealers, most refuse to do anything over email other than asking you when you can come in for a test drive. Once you're in the system the CRM will just auto email you and I guarantee you that a sales person has no idea who you are.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

TheWevel posted:

Emails are lead generators for dealers, most refuse to do anything over email other than asking you when you can come in for a test drive. Once you're in the system the CRM will just auto email you and I guarantee you that a sales person has no idea who you are.

No I had literally met the dude and got his card

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

I couldn’t test drive an M340i but they let me drive a standard 320i.

I still want the M340i and I’m seriously thinking about factory ordering one. I decided against the Audi S4 for a couple reasons.
1. The sunroof offers me limited headroom. I have maybe an inch of clearance between my head and the roof. In a rollover scenario I’m imagining myself breaking my neck on the roof and it’s making me paranoid. I feel like I sit lower in the BMW and so it feels like less of a problem. Still worried though.

2. I want my one and only car to be as far away from front wheel drive as possible. They can talk about Rear bias all they want a base model A4 is a four cylinder VW Jetta as far as I’m concerned. I’m pretty sure the engine is even transverse mounted on lower trims.

3. iPad dash.. the BMW one still pops up a bit but it feels more integrated.

4. As a tall person I welcome the slightly increased size of the new 3 Series and prefer it over the Audi.

Some more notes:
The Stinger is cool. With Audi out of the picture I have a choice between two somewhat austere interiors.
I don’t like the infotainment compared to the BMW and like how the BMW has a separate screen for climate control.

The stinger feels really heavy and the engine noise is uninspiring. I also feel kinda floaty in it. That said I think it looks more unique than the BMW.

The stinger is cheaper.

Over all the BMW is winning it right now but I’m terrified. I’ve never owned a BMW before. I have no idea what I’m getting myself into. I also have no idea how the dealer is going to treat me.

Ultimately the car I get will be driven a lot in every day city and highway conditions. I need it to work properly when maintained as recommended. Yet part of me wonders if I’m missing an opportunity by not getting an M3. Could any M3 owners pitch in and offer some advice? Am I really missing that much? Or are the fuel, insurance and maintenance savings worth sticking with the M340?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
go ahead and buy whatever you want man but it is always shocking to me when people have Hot Taeks about spending $50K and don't bother to do any sort of research. A4 is longitudinal, still, as it always has been.

If you have to ask about M ownership do not own an M car

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

go ahead and buy whatever you want man but it is always shocking to me when people have Hot Taeks about spending $50K and don't bother to do any sort of research. A4 is longitudinal, still, as it always has been.

If you have to ask about M ownership do not own an M car

I thought the baseline A4 was transverse wasn’t it? I may have confused it with the A3.
When you say M car do you mean these M###i cars or pure M?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Something Offal posted:

I think seasonal sales is an overblown perception (it's one that helps dealers bring customers in so it's encouraged), I don't think there is much practical difference in prices over the year, the obvious exception being older models once new ones come in.

So it depends on when new models are released, which differs a bit by make.

Loan/financing sales are a big deal, though. My CU does car loan sales twice a year (spring and fall), and they are a huge difference from the normal rate. They're doing the spring loan sale right now, and both new and all vehicles (including used, RV, motorcycle, boat, etc.) are 2.79% for 60 months. 2 years ago, I got a 72 month at 1.99% for a new car. Looking/waiting for something like that could save you thousands.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Twerk from Home posted:

The best time to buy a car is when you're trying to buy a slow-selling model that sits on lots forever, but is not so old that the manufacturer has stopped piling incentives on it.

You get a good deal by buying unloved sedans when the entire market wants crossovers and trucks. Do you want an unloved sedan?

Nope, it's a crossover.

I'll just keep my out out for any deals then, I'm in no specific rush

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Kraftwerk posted:

I thought the baseline A4 was transverse wasn’t it? I may have confused it with the A3.

Literally nobody calls anything outside of an M3, M5, etc. an “M Car”

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

FCKGW posted:

Nope, it's a crossover.

I'll just keep my out out for any deals then, I'm in no specific rush

You should get an unloved sedan. It's like adopting a shelter puppy!

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Twerk from Home posted:

I'm interested in hearing more about this, because my wife was looking at snagging one of the early 2019 RAV4 Hybrids.

The main complaint I've seen is "unrefined engine" and "fisher price interior". This thing's primary duty will be kid hauler, and I'd hope that chunky black plastic holds up. Her commute is more than an hour each way in miserable, crushing city traffic and she's getting 18 or 19mpg in a Focus right now, so I can only assume that a CX5 would be worse. Hopefully the 41mpg city rated RAV4 would drink a lot less gas.

Maybe with kids the RAV4 and its fisher-price interior is actually better. But the CX-5 is better to drive, has a much nicer interior, and the infotainment is basic but won't make you want to murder someone unlike Toyota's black text on red UI. The non-turbo CX-5 is pretty frugal but not quite as good as the equivalent RAV4: https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find.do?action=sbs&id=41041&id=41122

The 41mpg one is a hybrid so if that's a concern you better stick with the RAV4, sorry.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

ishikabibble posted:

It's way too clean looking. And soft, too.

The original 917 was so dramatic because it was very swoopy bodylines combined with hard features on the front and rear. The front end is just a square with barely rounded corners, and it's got that really aggressive vent there that breaks up that panel, and on the rear

-you can trace an almost straight line on the top of the rear fender to the end of the car. And the complete lack of anything behind the rear wheels too.

This modern tribute just looks like a Koenigsegg tbh

The original 917 was designed at a time when making a car low drag was thought more important than making sure it didn't have positive lift, and the understanding of aero on how to do that was rudimentary at best.

The modern one was considered briefly as a forerunner to the 919 Hybrid and was designed with actual aero in mind. Which is why it looks the way it does. It's why all mid-engined cars converge on the same sort of shape.

Kraftwerk posted:

Guys help me out.
I’m on the fence.

I saw the new G20 M340i Xdrive and I want it? Is it a bad idea if I buy this car? What would be some competing models that are better?
I cross shopped with the Stinger, G70 and S5 sportback. My thinking is the 340 will be more fun to drive than these cars.

I just want to have one car that does everything, isn’t slow and has some fun driving to it. The reason I’m not waiting for an M3 is because I don’t think it’ll be all that economical or useful in daily situations and rough potholed roads.

If you want fun to drive don't bother with AWD. Haven't driven the BMW yet but the Stinger and G70 would both be a lot of fun; you want RWD in both because it's less weight over the nose. Also the 2.0L four feels very underpowered, so you want either Korean with the V6.

Most fun of all would be a Giulia Ti (again, RWD with the mechanical limited slip diff). But I'm yet to meet anyone brave enough to take that suggestion.

drgitlin fucked around with this message at 17:12 on May 7, 2019

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Kraftwerk posted:

The A3 is a Jetta (at least MQB based) and

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Literally nobody calls anything outside of an M3, M5, etc. an “M Car”

you are categorically the wrong use case for an M car. Unless you have some abiding passionmental illness that compels you to buy an M car, you should not do it. People in your case who have an M car and put a lot of miles on it started off with "needing" to own that car and shoehorning it in to their life. If you do not have this compulsion, save yourself an outrageous amount of time, effort, money, and stress.

BMW dealers will treat you fine, don't know why that's a problem. They're arrogant and expensive, but competent and reasonably focused on brand loyalty and customer experience.

Out of curiosity, what have you owned and driven in the past?

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

Kraftwerk posted:

2. I want my one and only car to be as far away from front wheel drive as possible. They can talk about Rear bias all they want a base model A4 is a four cylinder VW Jetta as far as I’m concerned.

Whoa, this is really wrong. A Jetta is MQB. An A4/A5 etc is MLB Evo, so you share a platform with Panameras and Macans and A7s and Cayennes.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

drgitlin posted:

Maybe with kids the RAV4 and its fisher-price interior is actually better. But the CX-5 is better to drive, has a much nicer interior, and the infotainment is basic but won't make you want to murder someone unlike Toyota's black text on red UI. The non-turbo CX-5 is pretty frugal but not quite as good as the equivalent RAV4: https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find.do?action=sbs&id=41041&id=41122

The 41mpg one is a hybrid so if that's a concern you better stick with the RAV4, sorry.

I love Mazda but it's not like the Rav4 or CRV are bad choices at all?? I guess differences in Infotainment can really be a deciding factor nowadays.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Kraftwerk posted:

I still want the M340i and I’m seriously thinking about factory ordering one. I decided against the Audi S4 for a couple reasons............

Go cruise Bimmerpost/Bimmerfest G20 forums. Also find a non-jerk BMW dealer as there are a network of them out there that will get you the best deal (over email too) and you could actually order whatever you wanted (like no sunroof) and take advantage of any incentives and get a $500 over invoice type price. Also join BMWCCA right now so you can get a check for $500-$1,000 after the purchase.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Keyser_Soze posted:

Go cruise Bimmerpost/Bimmerfest G20 forums.

lmfao

what the gently caress did he ever do to you?

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

Charles posted:

I love Mazda but it's not like the Rav4 or CRV are bad choices at all?? I guess differences in Infotainment can really be a deciding factor nowadays.

I own a newer CX-5 and my wife owns a newer CR-V.
As they are in the same garage all night, I often times wish they would breed and make a hybrid baby out of the features I like from each car.
Nothing yet though.
Both great vehicles. but there are just little things each one does better than the other.
Infotainment, driving position, storage space, tires, etc.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Kraftwerk posted:

Ride quality will differ between a base 330i and an M340i. I would double-check this before you throw down $60K. Buying any car without a test drive is a bad idea; even Matt Farah ate poo poo when he bought a Focus RS without a test drive first.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

Charles posted:

I also said the interior of the CX-5 is in another league, and it's way better to drive. Also, it has a nearly perfect steering wheel.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

drgitlin posted:

The original 917 was designed at a time when making a car low drag was thought more important than making sure it didn't have positive lift, and the understanding of aero on how to do that was rudimentary at best.

The modern one was considered briefly as a forerunner to the 919 Hybrid and was designed with actual aero in mind. Which is why it looks the way it does. It's why all mid-engined cars converge on the same sort of shape.

If you want fun to drive don't bother with AWD. Haven't driven the BMW yet but the Stinger and G70 would both be a lot of fun; you want RWD in both because it's less weight over the nose. Also the 2.0L four feels very underpowered, so you want either Korean with the V6.

Most fun of all would be a Giulia Ti (again, RWD with the mechanical limited slip diff). But I'm yet to meet anyone brave enough to take that suggestion.

All of the Koreans with the 3.3T don't have RWD because I live in Canada. The G20 BMWs are Xdrive only. Audi is Quattro only. We deal with all weather conditions. Remember that I have never driven a BMW 3 series before. Ever. I had some kind of mental block that made me steer clear of BMW for my entire life. This is the first time I'm seriously considering one because something about the G20 appeals to me so much that I can't let it go. Without that E46 experience I feel like I can't be disappointed by these cars. Having driven the G20 330i Xdrive I have enjoyed the experience enough to want the M340 which I believe will give me the right dose of satisfaction and without the headaches of the M3.
I'm not sure I'm ready for a relationship with a dominatrix so I think I'll pass on the Giulia.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The A3 is a Jetta (at least MQB based) and

you are categorically the wrong use case for an M car. Unless you have some abiding passionmental illness that compels you to buy an M car, you should not do it. People in your case who have an M car and put a lot of miles on it started off with "needing" to own that car and shoehorning it in to their life. If you do not have this compulsion, save yourself an outrageous amount of time, effort, money, and stress.

BMW dealers will treat you fine, don't know why that's a problem. They're arrogant and expensive, but competent and reasonably focused on brand loyalty and customer experience.

Out of curiosity, what have you owned and driven in the past?

I stand corrected on the MQB/MLB. Thank you and apologies for getting it wrong.

My car history looks like this
1990 Toyota Corolla SR2, 1998 Acura Integra DC2, 2000 Honda Prelude, Mazdaspeed 3, 2014 Mazda 3, 2000 Toyota Camry (don't ask. I don't want to talk about it), 2019 Jetta (which I want to trade in for the BMW).

My entire life I have driven 4 cylinder vehicles with FWD. I'm fed up.. I want at least one car in my life that has at least 6 cylinders, a turbo and a base model design built around a longitudinal engine and RWD bias even if its AWD in the spec that I get it. I want to do this before electric self driving cars take over the world.

I also want better torsional rigidity, a more planted feel and a sensation that lets me feel the road and what the car is doing a little more rather than a floaty/numb feeling with imprecise steering. I also want to drive the car every day and drive over 200 KM (round trip) on weekends to see my gf in another city. I won't be autocrossing, I won't be going on the track besides the occasional drag race and I will be driving on twisty country roads from time to time. I'll also be driving in winter conditions, inclement weather and poorly maintained bumpy roads with the occasional potholes. The car needs to work- it isn't just a fancy garage queen which is why I'm categorically opposed to buying an M model. Still I Had to pop the question given all the "passion" M3s get. I needed to know what I'm missing and thanks to you I know I'm just avoiding a lot of pain which is fine with me. If I get this car I don't want to talk about my BMW with people, I don't want to spam forums about how it's the ultimate driving machine. I just want to quietly enjoy it and do my thing and apply proper use of my turn signals.

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

Honestly, I would go for a G20 330i over an M340i unless you plan to track or autocross the thing, live in a giant city where it's prohibitively expensive to park a second car, and also have poo poo tons of money. A 330i is stupid fast already, and you won't even push it past 4/10ths on public roads unless you're being a giant idiot. You really don't need an M340i. But, that said, I also wouldn't take the shot on a first-year new generation car from BMW.

I have an F30 (the generation that ended this model year) 328i, and I love it to death. It's been stone reliable, it's a competent kid hauler, and though it isn't a ~pure~ BMW like the older ones, the AC works, the headliner stays the gently caress put, the cooling system has no complaints, and my rod bearings are living quiet, safe, peaceful little lives. It's also fast enough that I can get myself into arrest-warrant territory in seconds by twitching my right foot a little bit, and honestly I don't know what a 340i or an M3 would give me in exchange for the cost.

Aside from the early N20 timing chain issue, the F30 seems to be about as reliable a car as BMW has ever put out. The G20 is an unknown quantity, and you're going to pay a hell of a lot of money to see how that turns out. Meanwhile, you can pick up a CPO F30 330i for $20k or less, optioned out the rear end, and it will do everything you need and more. Spending more than twice as much on a new G20 330i seems bananas to me. But hey, it does have that feature where it'll drive backwards out of your parking spot for you.

edit: Just saw your post above. I can't argue with the emotional desire for a 6 cylinder, because obviously all our car choices are a bit irrational. If that's the case, I would definitely recommend you at least test drive a CPO 340i and see if it scratches the itch. It might be worth compromising just a little to save a poo poo ton of money, because F30s are a great deal right now.

Steely Dad fucked around with this message at 17:56 on May 7, 2019

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Idk, if they're buying new, I feel like "gently caress it it's under warranty," right?

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

KillHour posted:

Idk, if they're buying new, I feel like "gently caress it it's under warranty," right?

Warranty is good, though you can also buy an extended warranty on CPO cars. But even when the fixes are free, it sucks when you've gotta take your car into the shop all the time.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Dadliest Worrier posted:

Warranty is good, though you can also buy an extended warranty on CPO cars. But even when the fixes are free, it sucks when you've gotta take your car into the shop all the time.

Fix it again, Tony

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Kraftwerk posted:

My car history looks like this
1990 Toyota Corolla SR2, 1998 Acura Integra DC2, 2000 Honda Prelude, Mazdaspeed 3, 2014 Mazda 3, 2000 Toyota Camry (don't ask. I don't want to talk about it), 2019 Jetta (which I want to trade in for the BMW).

My entire life I have driven 4 cylinder vehicles with FWD. I'm fed up.. I want at least one car in my life that has at least 6 cylinders, a turbo and a base model design built around a longitudinal engine and RWD bias even if its AWD in the spec that I get it. I want to do this before electric self driving cars take over the world.

I hear ya man. I would say that with your background in ownership just be aware that everything you are considering is 1) going to be more expensive in terms of preventative maintenance and 2) will be less reliable and more prone to some unexpected failures even if properly maintained and 3) will be more expensive to fix when it breaks. You won't break the bank, but expect to spend more money to keep the car on the road, whether it's a S4, M340i, or even a 330i.

I echo that a CPO F30 is going to save you a lot of money in the long run, but if you really want brand new, a G20, six cylinders, and a turbo - go wild man. You only live once and if you can afford it, go for it. I agree that there's a decent chance that the M340i is the last car of its type.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

BMW is German, which translates to "fix it again, Werner"

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

Brochen Mein Wagen!

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

Quote is not edit

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

Dadliest Worrier posted:

Honestly, I would go for a G20 330i over an M340i unless you plan to track or autocross the thing, live in a giant city where it's prohibitively expensive to park a second car, and also have poo poo tons of money. A 330i is stupid fast already, and you won't even push it past 4/10ths on public roads unless you're being a giant idiot. You really don't need an M340i. But, that said, I also wouldn't take the shot on a first-year new generation car from BMW.

I actually agree a lot with this. For example, I actually ended up preferring the A4 to an S5 Sportback, which is insane because I adore Sportbacks. (The new A7 was no such disappointment). You can't (and shouldn't) be driving near a car's limit on the public roads these days, but that's not to say you can enjoy driving.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

F80 M3 owner here. The 340 will feel noticeably faster than the 330 on the street. The M3 is noticeably faster than the 340 in two situations:
1. On a track
2. Driving like a felonious idiot on public streets

If you don't have to have the M-ness you can save $$ and gain practicality with the 340. So my recommendation is to not test drive the M3 because you may go crazy and decide you have to have it. :awesome:

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

Kraftwerk posted:

I say do it just to own an inline 6, they are glorious. Get the 4 cylinder and a part of your brain will be wondering why you didn't just buy an Accord 2.0T.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

sanchez posted:

I say do it just to own an inline 6, they are glorious. Get the 4 cylinder and a part of your brain will be wondering why you didn't just buy an Accord 2.0T.

i guarantee that won't happen unless you are an absolute idiot

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

I’m going to try out an F30.
I read the M340 owners thread on bimmerpost and the overall impression seems really positive. They described it as something that hits my desire for a very good, fast, commuter car.
My dealer also advised I can test an M340 this weekend. So we shall see what happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

Right on! Be sure to ask for advice in the BMW thread if you get into the market for an F30. I know a decent amount, Paradoxish knows a lot more, and there are some other knowledgeable F30 owners in there as well.

And if you go with a G20, I'm sure it'll be a great car, too. It's not like there's a bad choice here, just a cheaper one and a more expensive one. If the F30 does it for you, that's great, and if not, and you can afford a G20, it does have some cool new poo poo.