Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

purple death ray posted:

Was thinking about Ripley's line to Parker towards the end of the movie, "Obviously that means killing it." That's such an understated hilarious line

I like Parker’s line, “If we’re not out of here in ten minutes we won’t need no rocket to fly through space.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
What makes Alien so good is Ash. Him overriding Ripley's quarantine and sound decision making is what makes it plausible. Cut to Prometheus / Covenant and you can just play yakety-sax over everything. Especially the beginning of Covenant when the landing ship gets destroyed via banana peel slipping over blood.

Like, you can make the characters smart and tough, and do logical things but poo poo falls apart anyway -- which, imo, is way more scary. Watching competent people fail.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Glenn Quebec posted:

What makes Alien so good is Ash. Him overriding Ripley's quarantine and sound decision making is what makes it plausible. Cut to Prometheus / Covenant and you can just play yakety-sax over everything. Especially the beginning of Covenant when the landing ship gets destroyed via banana peel slipping over blood.

Like, you can make the characters smart and tough, and do logical things but poo poo falls apart anyway -- which, imo, is way more scary. Watching competent people fail.

Nothing kills a good story quicker than convenience and contrivance.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

purple death ray posted:

Was thinking about Ripley's line to Parker towards the end of the movie, "Obviously that means killing it." That's such an understated hilarious line

I'm quite fond of Lambert's "I like griping" myself.

Glenn Quebec posted:

I think you've hit the nail on the head there - there isn't really any action which the crew of the Nostromo takes which could be considered stupid. Arguably the closest you could get is Lambert freezing in terror and indirectly getting herself and Parker killed, but while its not smart, its certainly very understandable.

Ash breaching quarantine is another one where if you was ignorant as to his true intentions could easily be put down to him not wanting to leave a fellow crewman out on some inhospitable rock to die. Again, quite understandable.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Yeah Prometheus is pretty firmly on the “Friday the 13th sequel” side of things where you’re supposed to get a kick out of all these dumb shitheads getting themselves killed and your sympathies are kind of more with the rape monster. Covenant is a bit more ambivalent about it.

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lord Ludikrous posted:

I'm quite fond of Lambert's "I like griping" myself.

I think you've hit the nail on the head there - there isn't really any action which the crew of the Nostromo takes which could be considered stupid. Arguably the closest you could get is Lambert freezing in terror and indirectly getting herself and Parker killed, but while its not smart, its certainly very understandable.

Ash breaching quarantine is another one where if you was ignorant as to his true intentions could easily be put down to him not wanting to leave a fellow crewman out on some inhospitable rock to die. Again, quite understandable.

Dallas going in the shaft and Kane creeping so close to an Alien lifeform he knows nothing about were both pretty stupid, and Alien is still one of my all time favorite films. Brett going off alone after literally watching a hostile alien kill his friend was genuinely dumb as well.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

In Brett and Dallas’ defense, Dallas openly acknowledges that going into the vents is a bad idea and he’s not enthusiastic about doing it, but they can’t think of a better plan. And even though Brett watched the weird space snake kill Kane, he’s still expecting it to still be a little animal he can capture with a net, so he’s not that worried about it.

Like it’s easy to judge Brett as an idiot with the benefit of 40 years and a half dozen sequels worth of hindsight, but keep in mind that when the movie came out, both Brett and the audience had no idea what to expect. The Alien isn’t shown in the movie’s trailer at all.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
The Prometheus crew was extra infuriating because you can tell they (the people behind the film, not the crew) thought they were being so clever by having the crew killed by their specialities. The map guy gets lost! The bio guy gets snaked! Except it's all done in such a way that everyone comes across as brutally incompetent at their specific specialities. Oh look an alien creature is exhibiting every "gently caress off" posture known to man! I will use my biology training to determine the best course of action *pokes it in the face*

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Slutitution posted:

Dallas going in the shaft and Kane creeping so close to an Alien lifeform he knows nothing about were both pretty stupid, and Alien is still one of my all time favorite films. Brett going off alone after literally watching a hostile alien kill his friend was genuinely dumb as well.

Kane is showing genuine human curiosity at something truly unique and incredible, and would be able to reasonably count on his EVA suit to protect him from any foreseeable hazard. He hasn't seen the movie and doesn't know the egg contains the larval form of a highly aggressive creature with implausible biology that can cut right through his faceplate.

I'd give that one a pass.

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

"What's this dance called?"

"'Radioactive Flesh.' It's the latest - and the last!"
The crew in Alien do stupid things but the movie is so well made that it does not come across as jarring.

skasion posted:

Yeah Prometheus is pretty firmly on the “Friday the 13th sequel” side of things where you’re supposed to get a kick out of all these dumb shitheads getting themselves killed and your sympathies are kind of more with the rape monster. Covenant is a bit more ambivalent about it.

Not intentionality, Prometheus is trying really hard to be 2001: A Space Odyssey. You are supposed to take it seriously.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Owlbear Camus posted:

Kane is showing genuine human curiosity at something truly unique and incredible, and would be able to reasonably count on his EVA suit to protect him from any foreseeable hazard. He hasn't seen the movie and doesn't know the egg contains the larval form of a highly aggressive creature with implausible biology that can cut right through his faceplate.

I'd give that one a pass.

Don't forget that Kane is basically a space trucker (erm, lorry driver) picking at some galactic roadkill, not a scientist (unlike the two doofuses in Prometheus).

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

Ghostnuke posted:

Just finished it. Holy poo poo is it bad. Maybe I'll type up my thoughts later.

I guess it mostly boils down to feeling cheap and lazy. I hate the set, I hate the characters, I hate the cgi, I hate the story.

To start off, yes we've all talked about how much it sucks they just merc'd Newt and Hicks offscreen, so agreed there.

It seems like Ripley was written way differently too. She wakes up and is confused, ok I get that. But she immediately has concerns that there's a bug around, but stops to bang a random prisoner she just met? I'm not shaming her, get it girl, but why this random dude at that time? If she was dtf it seems like it would've been Hicks? They seemed to have built a bit of a relationship in Aliens, it just seems super shoehorned in.

Which brings me to the rest of the cast, which is basically 100% bald white guy except for the one black guy. I honestly had a lot of trouble telling them apart because they all looked the same and had zero characterization.

The story itself was pretty phoned in. I figured she was a carrier about 15 minutes in, and then there's zero development for anyone.

My BIGGEST GRIPE though is the set. Alien and Aliens had such great sets that they were basically characters themselves. 3 is just beige steamy hallway. I think maybe the way they filmed it had something to do with it too, the first two movies had that grainy-ness I guess? 3 seems too clean somehow.

fake edit: I just thought of something else. What's with the Bishop copy at the end trying to act like he was the real human? Wouldn't that guy be hundreds of years old by this point? Who's going to fall for that?

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Ghostnuke posted:

fake edit: I just thought of something else. What's with the Bishop copy at the end trying to act like he was the real human? Wouldn't that guy be hundreds of years old by this point? Who's going to fall for that?

Was this the theatrical or Assembly Cut? I can’t remember if it is in the theatrical version but in the Assembly Cut he is bleeding red after getting twatted on the head, and screams “I’m not a droid!”

The whole idea of multiple copies of Weyland androids in charge didn’t come until a lot later. I’m pretty certain he was the real deal in Alien 3, at least as far as the filmmakers were concerned.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

must have been a different version. In the one I saw he got fuckin brained and then shrugged it off while half his head was hanging off by the skin. That's why I assumed he was a droid, other than the giant time discrepancy.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Splicer posted:

The Prometheus crew was extra infuriating because you can tell they (the people behind the film, not the crew) thought they were being so clever by having the crew killed by their specialities. The map guy gets lost! The bio guy gets snaked! Except it's all done in such a way that everyone comes across as brutally incompetent at their specific specialities. Oh look an alien creature is exhibiting every "gently caress off" posture known to man! I will use my biology training to determine the best course of action *pokes it in the face*

What’s funny is the Weyland Yutani Report sourcebook handwaves the Prometheus crew’s idiocy as Vickers (Charlize Theron) intentionally hiring the dumbest motherfuckers possible in an effort to sabotage her father’s mission.

Ghostnuke posted:

I guess it mostly boils down to feeling cheap and lazy. I hate the set, I hate the characters, I hate the cgi, I hate the story.

To start off, yes we've all talked about how much it sucks they just merc'd Newt and Hicks offscreen, so agreed there.

It seems like Ripley was written way differently too. She wakes up and is confused, ok I get that. But she immediately has concerns that there's a bug around, but stops to bang a random prisoner she just met? I'm not shaming her, get it girl, but why this random dude at that time? If she was dtf it seems like it would've been Hicks? They seemed to have built a bit of a relationship in Aliens, it just seems super shoehorned in.

Which brings me to the rest of the cast, which is basically 100% bald white guy except for the one black guy. I honestly had a lot of trouble telling them apart because they all looked the same and had zero characterization.

The story itself was pretty phoned in. I figured she was a carrier about 15 minutes in, and then there's zero development for anyone.

My BIGGEST GRIPE though is the set. Alien and Aliens had such great sets that they were basically characters themselves. 3 is just beige steamy hallway. I think maybe the way they filmed it had something to do with it too, the first two movies had that grainy-ness I guess? 3 seems too clean somehow.

Fun trivia: The Alien in the third movie is not CGI - the only CGI in the movie is the cracks that appear on the Alien’s head before it explodes at the end.

Re: Bishop, you’re probably thinking of the guy from the first AvP movie, Charles Weyland. The guy at the end of ‘Alien3’ actually is human (full name: Michael Bishop), and he’s telling the truth when he says he built the Bishop android. The Assembly Cut makes it much clearer that he’s human - he clearly bleeds red blood and winces and cries out in pain a lot more after Aaron hits him in the head with a wrench.

As for Charles Weyland, he’s an unrelated person who shares an uncanny resemblance, just like Jerry Lambert in ‘Predator 2’ and William Hudson in ‘Aliens’.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

I've never seen AvP. I was just reasoning that the Bishop model was developed and put into production, and became cheap enough to send out to the rear end end of space and get destroyed. Even this amount of time would probably be longer than that guy's lifespan. But then Ripley is in hypersleep for however long it was so add on even more time. Then the guy just shows up and looks exactly like the droid and hasn't aged at all.

edit: AND ANOTHER THING - I don't get how they finally killed the bug at the end? They encase it in liquid lead or whatever and somehow it shrugs that off. Then Ripley showers it in some mystery liquid and it explodes? I must've missed something.

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo

Xenomrph posted:

In Brett and Dallas’ defense, Dallas openly acknowledges that going into the vents is a bad idea and he’s not enthusiastic about doing it, but they can’t think of a better plan. And even though Brett watched the weird space snake kill Kane, he’s still expecting it to still be a little animal he can capture with a net, so he’s not that worried about it.

Like it’s easy to judge Brett as an idiot with the benefit of 40 years and a half dozen sequels worth of hindsight, but keep in mind that when the movie came out, both Brett and the audience had no idea what to expect. The Alien isn’t shown in the movie’s trailer at all.

...Brett just saw a clearly hostile alien creature literally kill his friend by violently tearing its way through Kane's chest cavity. This is also after he saw another tiny creature - which bleeds loving acid - violently attach itself to Kane's face.

I'm not buying it.

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo
The reason why people give Brett, Kane, and Dallas a pass is because 1) they were genuinely likable characters and 2) it was shot better, while neither were the case with Milburn and Fifeld.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
The liquid at the end of Alien 3 is just cold water from the sprinklers iirc. When it touches the molten lead, the outside of the lead rapidly cools down and solidifies. The alien then breaks apart due to thermal shock. It’s like when you put an ice cube in warm water, the sudden change in temperature makes the ice cube crack. Just much more extreme.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Ghostnuke posted:

I've never seen AvP. I was just reasoning that the Bishop model was developed and put into production, and became cheap enough to send out to the rear end end of space and get destroyed. Even this amount of time would probably be longer than that guy's lifespan. But then Ripley is in hypersleep for however long it was so add on even more time. Then the guy just shows up and looks exactly like the droid and hasn't aged at all.

edit: AND ANOTHER THING - I don't get how they finally killed the bug at the end? They encase it in liquid lead or whatever and somehow it shrugs that off. Then Ripley showers it in some mystery liquid and it explodes? I must've missed something.

Bishop shows up in ‘Aliens’, which is set only a few weeks before ‘Alien3’.

A rough timeline of stuff:
Predator - 1987
Predator 2 - 1997
AvP - 2004
AvP Requiem - 2004
Predators - 2010
The Predator - 2018
Prometheus - 2084
Alien Covenant - 2095 (I think?)
Alien - 2122
Alien Isolation - 2137
Aliens - 2179
Alien3 - 2179
Alien Resurrection - 2381

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

Slutitution posted:

...Brett just saw a clearly hostile alien creature literally kill his friend by violently tearing its way through Kane's chest cavity. This is also after he saw another tiny creature - which bleeds loving acid - violently attach itself to Kane's face.

I'm not buying it.

should they have just huddled up in the cafeteria for the rest of the film

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo

WatermelonGun posted:

I would have barricaded myself in MOTHER's control room instead.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

i'm glad we've reached the optimum tactical realism appraisal part of the thread. i love to see it.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

On the topic of comedic lines, Brett's use of nothing but "right" somewhere close to a dozen times is better than it has any right (pun not intended) to be.

As for Brett chasing an alien snake around with just a net and flashlight, it seems plausible enough in hindsight given that:
A) Ash is the science officer.
B) He's also a massive bastard, actively yet secretly working against the crew's plans to "blow the fucker into space".

Then there's also the point that he's not even looking for the alien at that particular moment. He is in fact looking for Jones the cat while Ripley and Parker continue looking for the alien!

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

WatermelonGun posted:

I'd have taken the shuttle. Drawn straws and everything.

(gently caress, double posted!)

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

Slutitution posted:

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

these sound like bad movies

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

WatermelonGun posted:

these sound like bad movies

Absolutely, but at least mine results in a happy ending!

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I'd go with my standard response to intruders in FTL: seal everyone in the med bay, open all the other doors and cut the oxygen until intruders are all dead.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Wouldn't it just chill in the vents or whatever and then just come get your rear end later on?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Slutitution posted:

Nothing says having the upper hand like being locked in a room with no food and no cryo chambers months (years?) of travel away from home.

WatermelonGun posted:

Nothing says having the upper hand like being locked in a room with no control systems and no cryo chambers months (years?) of travel away from home.

Nothing says having the upper hand like (pick one of the above) and also two of the crew hosed off with the escape shuttle.

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo

Owlbear Camus posted:

i'm glad we've reached the optimum tactical realism appraisal part of the thread. i love to see it.

lmao boohoo

Absolutely, but at least mine results in a happy ending!

Alien has a happy ending?

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

Splicer posted:

Nothing says having the upper hand like being locked in a room with no food and no cryo chambers months (years?) of travel away from home.

Nothing says having the upper hand like being locked in a room with no control systems and no cryo chambers months (years?) of travel away from home.

Nothing says having the upper hand like (pick one of the above) and also two of the crew hosed off with the escape shuttle.

I wasn’t actually providing an idea, tactical realism chat is extremely loving boring, hth

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

WatermelonGun posted:

I wasn’t actually providing an idea, tactical realism chat is extremely loving boring, hth
oh poo poo I misread your one my bad

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

were i one of those space truckers, for a start i would not have signed on to do any extrasolar run without being issued an m41a pulse rifle or whatever the 2122 equivalent is, that's just common sense, and i would have made sure the rest of the crew had them. then i would have used room clearing tactics with the rest of my armed crew to collapse sectors with overlapping fields of fire and furthermore

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Owlbear Camus posted:

were i one of those space truckers, for a start i would not have signed on to do any extrasolar run without being issued an m41a pulse rifle or whatever the 2122 equivalent is, that's just common sense, and i would have made sure the rest of the crew had them. then i would have used room clearing tactics with the rest of my armed crew to collapse sectors with overlapping fields of fire and furthermore
Fun fact: the Nostromo crew actually have laser pistols - Dallas and co. have them on their hips when they go find the Derelict, and Kane even draws his in the director’s cut when he investigates the egg.

The whole reason the filmmakers gave the Alien acid blood is to explain why the characters don’t just shoot it.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
the ali3n horde mode map is the best one.

source: me, playing through this game for the first time in 2019

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Xenomrph posted:

Fun fact: the Nostromo crew actually have laser pistols - Dallas and co. have them on their hips when they go find the Derelict, and Kane even draws his in the director’s cut when he investigates the egg.

The whole reason the filmmakers gave the Alien acid blood is to explain why the characters don’t just shoot it.

Ironically in hindsight shooting it and quickly evacuating/sealing off the section where its blood compromises the outer hull probably wouldn't have been a terrible way to deal with it.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Lord Ludikrous posted:

Ironically in hindsight shooting it and quickly evacuating/sealing off the section where its blood compromises the outer hull probably wouldn't have been a terrible way to deal with it.

it's basically a magical demon in Alien, it was only when Cameron got his hands on them years later that they were demoted to a nasty roach infestation.

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

"What's this dance called?"

"'Radioactive Flesh.' It's the latest - and the last!"
Mad About You Aliens

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Slutitution posted:

Alien has a happy ending?
I mean compared to all the other "this is a bad movie" answers where everyone is guaranteed to die once the alien starts hunting them.

Splicer posted:

Only two escaped the Nostromo anyway :colbert: