Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serf
May 5, 2011

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

a lot of teenagers first get into alt right poo poo because teenagers are all edgelord contrarians cooler than their parents. getting to meet their "heroes" and finding out that they're chinless acneblobs with underbite and cheeto-stained fingers is pretty good at breaking the spell

i'm glad that my teenage rebellion against my parents was that i wanted to sleep in and not go to church and i never went any further down that well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morningdrew
Jul 18, 2003

It's toe-tapping-ly tragic!

Epic High Five posted:

chud grifters spend like crazy on their stunts and desperate bids to stay relevant, I wouldn't be surprised if 67k is barely enough to last her a couple weeks culminating in some weird trip to harass somebody

I'm assuming she's deeply in debt after all those operations

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

quote:

The worst offenders were people who posted “normie” memes—pictures with upper-case slogans across the top and bottom. My husband and I started to hear a lot about normies, “normie culture,” and how normies were ruining the internet and destroying what they (meme insiders?) worked so hard to achieve.

hahahahahahaha

quote:

Still, the mods invited Sam to a local Meetup—and because I’d read somewhere that your child’s internet activity is constructive if online connections cross over into IRL pals, I was actually happy for him. Friend-making at the new school was slow going; Sam never had plans on the weekend. So this Reddit thing was borderline obsessive and some of the people seemed deeply disturbed, but maybe it would turn out okay after all?

Oh my god.

What the gently caress is wrong with these parents?

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
that was a cool article thanks for it.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/Bro_Pair/status/1125793329789030402

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

CommonShore posted:

If your child becomes a nazi the cure is to let him go to a nazi rally

yeah that story is extremely stdh.txt but that was definitely the cherry and whipped cream topping :kiss:

the solution was "bring your nazi kid to charlottesville Unite the Whites so he can get it out of his system/see a really good leftist protester and be instantly cured"

Admiral Ray posted:

What the gently caress is wrong with these parents?

they don't exist :ssh:

Flesh Forge has issued a correction as of 17:59 on May 7, 2019

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

I like the buried lead where all we are told is that the kids was falsely accused and that their comments were taken out of context. I read that and immediately thought lmao whod he send a picture of his dick to cause of school admin is that far up your rear end you hosed up severly

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!

Agean90 posted:

I like the buried lead where all we are told is that the kids was falsely accused and that their comments were taken out of context. I read that and immediately thought lmao whod he send a picture of his dick to cause of school admin is that far up your rear end you hosed up severly

school administrators, notorious for never making a mountain out of a molehill.

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!
i am racist against school administrators, just like landlords

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
and then everyone clapped for that scientist, dr stdh

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

a Loving Dog posted:

school administrators, notorious for never making a mountain out of a molehill.

I had to help bully a bunch of admins and school board people into resigning because they though the schools LGBT alliance and a kid putting KKK recruitment flyers up were the same thing so having ones that give a gently caress without a metaphorical gun to their head sounds nice tbh

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Agean90 posted:

I had to help bully a bunch of admins and school board people into resigning because they though the schools LGBT alliance and a kid putting KKK recruitment flyers up were the same thing so having ones that give a gently caress without a metaphorical gun to their head sounds nice tbh

lol, galaxy brained centrists to whom everything is just team politics and they don't mind losing if they "lost with dignity" need to be purged from all orgs at all levels if this demon nation is to be saved

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

whatever the kid did, and I’m willing to acknowledge it was probably worse than she made it sound, the administration almost certainly blew it up thousands of times worse than it had to be because they never considered they were dealing with a 13 year old child with a brain like an amphetamine-soaked sponge. these people are not good at their jobs. also, most of the time when they wildly overreact and declare war on a child it’s a child of color.

school administrators in bougie neighborhoods are like parodies of the people at Dorothy Thompson’s “Who Goes Nazi?” Party

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
she went with her son to the rally and asked good guiding questions to put things into a context without sensationalizing it or browbeating him; it worked and he understood that he was being taken advantage of by con artists trying to capitalize on his alienation. good teen parenting

e. Yeah the school administrators sound like terrifying assholes for threatening a kid with the police like that lol, if it had been something that serious they would have been able to articulate it afterwards

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO has issued a correction as of 18:16 on May 7, 2019

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

quote:

Before long, Sam was at my door.

Then he was curled up next to me.

“Did you hate me when I was hostage to the cult?” he asked. I’d never heard him use that phrase before.

what are you talking about I use phrases like that all the time :shrug:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
not really surprising that a 13 year old meeting the alt right in person would make them realise how incredibly lame they all are

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

yeah, the part about school administrators making a big traumatic mess out of a kid's life for reasons they wouldn't themselves admit or elaborate upon seemed plausible enough. if you think that's impossible you're a loving cop.

believing that a middle-schooler's innate sense of coolness would make them instinctively know to be repulsed by a chud IRL is the stretchy part

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

Flesh Forge posted:

what are you talking about I use phrases like that all the time :shrug:
if your mom leaves 20+ pages of stuff on your bed that most likely includes the phrase "hostage to a cult", you might pick up on those phrases to describe what happened to you.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LordSaturn posted:

believing that a middle-schooler's innate sense of coolness would make them instinctively know to be repulsed by a chud IRL is the stretchy part

yes, it's "sunshine is the best disinfectant" in long form and it's dumb Pollyanna bullshit.

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat

Is there a mirror of this twitter thread out there? Cause I'd like to read it but the account is protected and I don't have access

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Flesh Forge posted:

yeah that story is extremely stdh.txt but that was definitely the cherry and whipped cream topping :kiss:

the solution was "bring your nazi kid to charlottesville Unite the Whites so he can get it out of his system/see a really good leftist protester and be instantly cured"

they don't exist :ssh:

I don't see what makes that story unbelievable.

The Libearian
Nov 24, 2007
Return your books or face mauling
"how could my son pick up regressive views?". Asks local woman who believes teenage girl must be lying about harrasment.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Shame, Tim Pool being a profoundly stupid liberal was always the funnier way to interpret him, but I guess he's just another profoundly stupid nazi who thinks he's subtle

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Admiral Ray posted:

I don't see what makes that story unbelievable.

I guess somebody, somewhere, might have had an experience like this kid had but if all it took was "attend Nazi rally, see a protester" to be instantly shown the error of your ways, nobody would be nazis any more would they?

nb: protesting is vital and extremely valuable, this is not a slight against the benefit of protest

Flesh Forge has issued a correction as of 18:47 on May 7, 2019

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Flesh Forge posted:

I guess somebody, somewhere, might have had an experience like this kid had but if all it took was "attend Nazi rally, see a protester" to be instantly shown the error of your ways, nobody would be nazis any more would they?

nb: protesting is vital and extremely valuable, this is not a slight against the benefit of protest

If everyone being tempted into Naziism was only 13 and had the same background and access to support that he did then yeah, maybe. But that's not the case and attempting to get a larger message out other than "Internet nazi's recruit vulnerable people" is reading too far into it imo.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I could see attending a nazi rally with your mom and being so embarrassed that your cool online friends are walking around in kek uniforms that you just kind of distance yourself from it

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Remember that awesome article by the mom who was so horrified that her adult son came back home with a small tattoo that she had a gigantic meltdown and was convinced he stopped loving her? There was some weird vibes there.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

Flesh Forge posted:

as you concede, protesting is valuable - isn’t this exactly why? the boy got to see what real courage and iconoclasm was, and saw how phony the alt right guys whining about being hard working but oppressed actually were?

and it definitely was neither instant nor easy - it was part of a whole series of discussions and interventions that the mother-author staged; she went to the rally with him and asked pointed questions that seem to have been deeply effective

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO has issued a correction as of 19:04 on May 7, 2019

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

the story is believable, but the plug for Kill All Normies seemed a little odd to me, even though it was relevant so I don't know exactly why.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

BattleMaster posted:

imo don't ridicule Faith Goldy for her appearance but ridicule her for the fact that she felt the need to augment her appearance in spite of supposedly having superior genes and posting poo poo like

https://twitter.com/faithgoldy/status/996478722718027777?lang=en

but also the “augmentations” her rich dad paid for look like poo poo. she got mrs potato head lips

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

lol she just retweeted this from almost a year ago...did he own her recently or something?

https://twitter.com/willsommer/status/1038920929433341952

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

THC posted:

but also the “augmentations” her rich dad paid for look like poo poo. she got mrs potato head lips

rich people got some hosed up aesthetics

Groovelord Neato posted:

lol she just retweeted this from almost a year ago...did he own her recently or something?

https://twitter.com/willsommer/status/1038920929433341952

probably a wink wink nudge nudge look at his jew wife thing I expect

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Flesh Forge posted:

Going to postulate that "attend rally, see Nazis waving swastikas" might have a much more significant effect on a Jewish kid.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

CYBEReris posted:

the story is believable, but the plug for Kill All Normies seemed a little odd to me, even though it was relevant so I don't know exactly why.

it's because kill all normies is an ostensibly leftist work that absolves the alt right as just kids rebelling against the system

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

pookel posted:

Going to postulate that "attend rally, see Nazis waving swastikas" might have a much more significant effect on a Jewish kid.

Maybe, sure :shrug:

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Al! posted:

it's because kill all normies is an ostensibly leftist work that absolves the alt right as just kids rebelling against the system

Still salty about a bunch of goons telling me Kill All Normies was good when the second chapter has the author putting non-binary in scare quotes and putting up some list 4chan itself made to make fun of non-binary people as proof the left is just too drat silly.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I like the constant and repeated assertion that a false sex pest accusation made the kid a nazi

Projection for 500 alex

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

SunAndSpring posted:

Still salty about a bunch of goons telling me Kill All Normies was good when the second chapter has the author putting non-binary in scare quotes and putting up some list 4chan itself made to make fun of non-binary people as proof the left is just too drat silly.

at least she shut the gently caress up nice and quick after charlottesville happened

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Not to mention that a friendless, alienated 13 year old dork is almost as likely to find a bunch of wehraboo grognards with "tactical" gear and meme signs to be kinda cool. This is where adult sword owners come from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Al! posted:

i guess, that bit kinda reads like something that a woman in a wig and huge sunglasses calling herself Ms. Elgan would say