Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Macaluso posted:

I imagine the general audience does not hate the show as much as the SomethingAwful TVIV thread

quote:

GAME OF THRONES SEASON 8, EPISODE 4 REVIEWS: THE SECOND LOWEST-RATED EPISODE YET

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Opferwurst posted:

I'm really tired of this "Break the wheel" garbage that the show came up with. She is gonna rule for 40 something years and then her heir is more likely to be mediocre or lovely than not and it all goes back to the way it was for thousands of years, like in Mereen or in Astapor or in Mesopotamian city #3. And now even the characters that are supposed to be non idiot buy into the poo poo too

the whole concept of "who Ends Up on the throne?" is kinda dumb in a few years there will just be another war or assassination or some poo poo

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Raccooon posted:

Maybe but I used to only see hate for the show here and now I am seeing it all across social media.

fwiw most of the hate I've seen across social media is directed specifically at S8E4

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
the two big reddits (almost 3 million subs) have been dunking hard on the show too, starting last season but really peaking these last two episodes.

Vehementi
Jul 25, 2003

YOSPOS
Everything will get wrapped up in episode 5, and episode 6 will just be a 90 minute long canon-poisoning montage of everything happens in the GOT universe for the next 1000 years

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
Lmao, HBO disappeared the Starbucks cup: https://news.avclub.com/r-i-p-game-...tm_content=Main

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Fart Amplifier posted:

Brienne was totally being a clinger, it's entirely within her character, and it was about the only scene that I actually liked in the episode

I don’t really see it that way, her friend and former co-prisoner of war seemed to have finally seen the light despite coming from a totally hosed up family and years of trauma only to decide to go join his incestuous sister who is fighting for the enemy side in a massive war brienne expects him to lose. His actions guarantee one of them will end up dead no matter who wins the war. You guys are cold as hell

Vehementi
Jul 25, 2003

YOSPOS
I wasn't sure how to interpret the scene but I don't see it as him joining her. He said "I'm hateful too", I don't think that means he's hateful toward Cersei's enemies and will help her. Just that he hasn't risen above it and can't sit it out and has to go help kill her. But it's super unclear.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I haven't posted about game of thrones because I always kinda enjoyed it, even though season 7 was bad. But these new episodes, Jesus christ... they're not good are they. This is approaching final season of Lost baldess.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Raccooon posted:

Maybe but I used to only see hate for the show here and now I am seeing it all across social media.

Same but social media is like “dang” and goons are like “hahahaha idiots CALLED IT Emilia Clarke is a hack only a brain dead lobotomy patient would care about that fat nerd’s bad ending to the poo poo show!”

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

RIP my theories of how the noble cup ends up on the throne

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

I have to admit I’m laughing at so many people ITT saying “THE WRITING USED TO BE SO MUCH BETTER AND SO WAS THE STORY” like we’re just going to ignore the absolute poo poo storm these threads have ALWAYS been since the very beginning. Criticism is fine and I also have issues with some things, but come on :marc:

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

somnambulist posted:

I have to admit I’m laughing at so many people ITT saying “THE WRITING USED TO BE SO MUCH BETTER AND SO WAS THE STORY” like we’re just going to ignore the absolute poo poo storm these threads have ALWAYS been since the very beginning. Criticism is fine and I also have issues with some things, but come on :marc:
It was. You might just be tasteless.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Holy poo poo Missandei's actress is a fox

Also lol I think Emilia's clear unhappy laughter kinda confirms the direction of Dany for me. Her face is just :shepface:

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!

Crow Jane posted:

4 years ago was season five, the worst the show's ever been imo

How can you possibly say that 5 is worse than the past two lovely seasons?

Are you high?

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Dr_0ctag0n posted:

How can you possibly say that 5 is worse than the past two lovely seasons?

Are you high?

What happened in 5 that people hated? Can’t remember that season.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Raccooon posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sggmx8vysoc

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

TulliusCicero posted:

Her face is just :shepface:

That's just how her face is, she's got resting :shepface:

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!

Raccooon posted:

Arya became a ninja
Sansa was wed to Bolton
Hardhome
Cersei was tortured by the church I think
Theon lost his sausage

There were so many interesting character stories in that season imo.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Dr_0ctag0n posted:

Arya became a ninja
Sansa was wed to Bolton
Hardhome
Cersei was tortured by the church I think
Theon lost his sausage

There were so many interesting character stories in that season imo.

Sexy Adventures in Dorne happened

Theon lost that back in 3-4

Also Jon died

turnip kid
May 24, 2010

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Same but social media is like “dang” and goons are like “hahahaha idiots CALLED IT Emilia Clarke is a hack only a brain dead lobotomy patient would care about that fat nerd’s bad ending to the poo poo show!”

Congratulations on making the same post on 20 consecutive pages.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

Alhazred posted:

Wow I like Emilia Clarke more and more.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Vehementi posted:

I wasn't sure how to interpret the scene but I don't see it as him joining her. He said "I'm hateful too", I don't think that means he's hateful toward Cersei's enemies and will help her. Just that he hasn't risen above it and can't sit it out and has to go help kill her. But it's super unclear.

I think it’s clear how Brienne interprets it though. She doesn’t think he’s going to kill Cersei, and even if she did, it probably still means he’s gonna die after they’ve worked together to survive so many times?

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Xanderkish posted:

Wow I like Emilia Clarke more and more.

She is absolutely hilarious when she does interviews and is like the exact opposite of Dany stoneface. It kinda sucks she doesn't have a role or any parts where she can ham it up. She might have made a good Yara honestly.

She also is really open about her issues with filming because of the aneuyrisms and how she just worked through it.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Bottom Liner posted:

the two big reddits (almost 3 million subs) have been dunking hard on the show too, starting last season but really peaking these last two episodes.

I think goon contrarianism is just swinging back the other way. Even some my friends who have been devout fans of this show have been criticizing it.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
also who the gently caress is euron greyjoy

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

oliwan posted:

He's the swarthy sailor man who comes to King's Landing to deliver to Cersei an order of "boats"

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.

oliwan posted:

hot topic hipster pirate

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Alhazred posted:

Hopefully she gets some roles where she can actually emote and have fun because this clip alone has me in tears every time I see it. Same with her "he's, you know, MAH BUDDY" when talking about working with Iain Glen in that cast retrospective video. She's obviously talented, but the Dany role is very one note so much of time.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Idk why this scene is such a big deal, it's just stupid and over in eight seconds.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ishamael posted:

hot topic hipster pirate

thats cool that they made him the most important and powerful character for sure

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

No Wave posted:

Idk why this scene is such a big deal, it's just stupid and over in eight seconds.

the sand snakes/dorne unfortunately lasted a lot longer than eight seconds

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

TulliusCicero posted:

She is absolutely hilarious when she does interviews and is like the exact opposite of Dany stoneface. It kinda sucks she doesn't have a role or any parts where she can ham it up. She might have made a good Yara honestly.

She also is really open about her issues with filming because of the aneuyrisms and how she just worked through it.

She sounds like the best and it's a shame they had her play a character who's cursed with having a stick up her rear end since birth.

I would totally go for Dany being played by fun crazy Emilia Clarle. That would make the Essos adventures so much more enjoyable.

Vehementi
Jul 25, 2003

YOSPOS
Where are some of these choice interviews?

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019

Tender Bender posted:

Oberyn was great and worked within the context of his season, but given the show runners apparent priorities it seems like a massive mistake to have spent any time on Dorne after that, they should have gone more in on the Iron Islands to better develop that plot, giving Yara more than two scenes per season and investing in eldritch euron.

Didn't they say budget being an issue and that they had to choose between Dorne and Iron Islands and they went with Dorne because Spain and sunshine.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

A couple of pages back but the telenovela opening is :discourse:

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
I liked Clarke in Solo but that's probably another Unpopular Goon Opinion

GannerOne
Feb 25, 2014
I predict the following:
-Jaime will fulfill his Romeo+Juliet-destiny murder-suiciding Cersei.
-Cleganebowl (fanpleaser)
-Dany dies in childbirth, and her (and Jon's) child will inherit the throne, while Jon serve as regent.

Alt. #1:
-SJW-leftist/feminist happy ending with Dany on the throne.

Alt. #2 (my personal favorite):
-Good guys win, and in Dany/Jon's wedding, Hot Pie jumps out of the wedding cake with a semi-auto crossbow, killing everyone while screaming "HOT PIE!". Claiming his rightful throne and becomes the rightful ruler of the seven kingdoms and all of cakes.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

oliwan posted:

Mary Sue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

That Italian Guy posted:

I always felt Jon Snow was the weakest Season 1 cast member by a long shot.

Bagging on Kit was the thing to do back then, and having rewatched some scenes recently I think it was justified, but I think he's really come a long way as an actor and carries some good scenes. Whatever problems I have with Jon's performance now are due to the writing and dumb actions he's made to take.