Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

98¢. Should have gone all in and made it 69¢.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

OhFunny posted:

98¢. Should have gone all in and made it 69¢.

They had to pay the girl who sang the main theme.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Nice knockoff Zelda font with rupees

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Hohhh hohhh, the legend of zarrrraaaahhh

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Does anyone know if the multiplayer in Infinite Space good?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Detective No. 27 posted:

Does anyone know if the multiplayer in Infinite Space good?

Its not good.

On top of it just being a battle the games also do calculations separately which can desynch when one generates a crit and the other doesn't which means it can just totally break down.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Well that's a shame. I guess I'll sell this second copy I got.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

On that note, Shin Megami Tensei Strange Journey Redux, Shin Megami Tensei Devil Survivor Overclocked, and Shin Megami Tensei Devil Survivor 2 Record Breaker are just upgrade ports of Shin Megami Tensei Strange Journey, Shin Megami Tensei Devil Survivor, and Shin Megami Tensei Devil Survivor 2, respectively, right? There's no reason to play the DS games?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Gripweed posted:

On that note, Shin Megami Tensei Strange Journey Redux, Shin Megami Tensei Devil Survivor Overclocked, and Shin Megami Tensei Devil Survivor 2 Record Breaker are just upgrade ports of Shin Megami Tensei Strange Journey, Shin Megami Tensei Devil Survivor, and Shin Megami Tensei Devil Survivor 2, respectively, right? There's no reason to play the DS games?
Pretty much.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

All of them are probably easier to find and cheaper than their DS counterparts as well.

night slime
May 14, 2014

Rad Valtar posted:

So my 3 year old daughter loves playing Mario 3D World and Super Mario Bros 2. I’m looking to get her a new game that I think she can handle but I’m having trouble finding another game like those. I was thinking maybe Mario Maker because there are so many new levels she can try. Any thoughts?

Think the Kirby games would be good for that age.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Detective No. 27 posted:

All of them are probably easier to find and cheaper than their DS counterparts as well.
Especially if you're willing to buy digital. All of them are on the eShop.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

It seems odd that they'd do so many remakes on a backwards compatible system

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Atlus is notorious for remaking their games on the same system.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
There was also something about the focus on TMS #FE taking a number of people off Vita projects and by the time they finished it was no longer a viable platform.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Dehry posted:

There was also something about the focus on TMS #FE taking a number of people off Vita projects and by the time they finished it was no longer a viable platform.

I like how this is true for both the Wii U and Vita.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Vita games still come out, can't say that for WiiU :colbert:

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

The Switch is a much better WiiU though, whereas the Vita is just dead outside of being a P4G player.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

The Switch is a much better Vita though, whereas the WiiU is just dead.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The Wii U is fantastic for homebrew, capable of playing everything up until itself. NES/SNES have that awful dim tint to them which sucks. But it can natively play Gamecube games in HD which is incredible. I regret selling mine.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
If it can natively play Gamecube, why the gently caress didn't they enable that feature? That alone would have sold WiiUs to people. They could have even sold a stupid little GameCube controller dongle for 60 dollars.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

I don't know if the disc reader was capable of reading the discs. The GCN native parts were the Wii hardware that was embedded in the system.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Shadow225 posted:

I don't know if the disc reader was capable of reading the discs. The GCN native parts were the Wii hardware that was embedded in the system.

Yeah, it ran off the same architecture as the Wii and GameCube. I was never able to get actual Gamecube discs running on it, I'm not sure if there's a way. But it ran our ISOs no problem.

Nintendo had been moving away from GameCube in the later part of the Wii's lifespan. The later Wii's removed the Gamecube ports all together. Even the Wii U's Gamecube controller dongle they eventually released only worked with Smash Bros. It wasn't exactly a time of Nintendo making good business decisions.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

The Wii is two Gamecubes taped together and the Wii U is two Wii's taped together, making four Gamecubes total.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Gripweed posted:

It seems odd that they'd do so many remakes on a backwards compatible system
It keeps their games on the shelf/eShop though.

I assume a bunch of the late-DS Atlus games had low print runs, are expensive on the secondary market, and Atlus sees none of that money now. If they can sell a remake for a modern platform (even if backwards compatible) then people have (legitimate) access to their games and they make money.

Heath posted:

If it can natively play Gamecube, why the gently caress didn't they enable that feature?
Aside from the DS/3DS, I can't think of an instance where Nintendo was selling a backwards-compatible console without titles from the previous generation still on store shelves. By the time the Wii U was coming to market, the Gamecube was really done and the most-recent Wii revision had already dropped compatibility.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

I remember hearing that the only thing keeping the Wii U from playing Gamecube disks is that the drive can't grab them cause they're too small

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Pablo Nergigante posted:

The Wii is two Gamecubes taped together and the Wii U is two Wii's taped together, making four Gamecubes total.

The switch is eight portable gamecubes

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

If you haven't played f-zero gx on your wii u...

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Breadallelogram posted:

If you haven't played f-zero gx on your wii u...

Literally the first game I tested when we finished homebrewing my friend's system. It's so gorgeous.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Are we allowed to post about homebrew in here cause I'm interested in playing Gamecube games on the WiiU.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

There's no official rule against it. But there is a Nintendo Homebrew thread. Homebrew talk got really annoying in this thread years ago when 3DS was more relevant, so the Homebrew thread was created a way to contain it. But things have cooled off a lot since. The talk in the thread is mostly about Switch homebrew now, but people will gladly answer questions for 3DS/Wii U homebrew.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3837908

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

an actual dog posted:

The switch is eight portable gamecubes

The Switch is a totally different architecture. It's an NVidia Shield with two Wiimotes taped on

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Detective No. 27 posted:

There's no official rule against it. But there is a Nintendo Homebrew thread. Homebrew talk got really annoying in this thread years ago when 3DS was more relevant, so the Homebrew thread was created a way to contain it. But things have cooled off a lot since. The talk in the thread is mostly about Switch homebrew now, but people will gladly answer questions for 3DS/Wii U homebrew.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3837908

Thank you!

Hopefully this means I can stop looking a Gamecube Memory Card.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Electric Phantasm posted:

Thank you!

Hopefully this means I can stop looking a Gamecube Memory Card.

Nintendont (software that lets you boot Gamecube games from USB on Wii or Wii U) supports emulating a memory card

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Has anyone ever completed a yo-kai watch game

I played through 3 recently and that game just does not loving end. I kept thinking "I'm at the end, it's over" only for it to unlock like 5 more dungeons in it's tiny rogue like mode. Or I'd find even more of the goofy sidequests that want you to be level 99 that have their own story arcs.

I eventually caved as there's no way I was ever going to see the end of it all.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I never beat any of them. They would always come out so close to Pokemon releases so I'd leave them unfinished. I didn't play much of 2, but it started out as a recap of 1, which killed my enthusiasm to go on.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Heath posted:

If it can natively play Gamecube, why the gently caress didn't they enable that feature? That alone would have sold WiiUs to people. They could have even sold a stupid little GameCube controller dongle for 60 dollars.

Well they did that last part, because Smash for Wii U. I think the adapter was "only" $30-40 (for 4 GC controllers, so to do 5-8-player Smash you needed two) but they were unavailable immediately from the day Wii U Smash was released so most people had to pay >$60 anyway.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Pablo Nergigante posted:

The Switch is a totally different architecture. It's an NVidia Shield with two Wiimotes taped on

The switch is a broken xbox controller with sixteen N64s stuffed in between

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

univbee posted:

Well they did that last part, because Smash for Wii U. I think the adapter was "only" $30-40 (for 4 GC controllers, so to do 5-8-player Smash you needed two) but they were unavailable immediately from the day Wii U Smash was released so most people had to pay >$60 anyway.

The adaptor was $20 on release. It became pretty much impossible to find right away but thankfully the 3rd party ones work fine.

Nintendont is amazing and a large part of why I’m keeping my Wii U. Being able to play GameCube and Wii games natively over HDMI owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I swear to god, out of the last ten battles I've fought in Fire Emblem Echoes, all of them had bad guys who spawn bad guys every turn and most of them have had large areas on the map that slow your movement.

There's nothing wrong with either of those, both of those can be fun in a strategy game like this. But together over and over again kinda sucks. It mainly has the effect of slowing the battles way down and making the game take longer.

Also, Est is the most useless video game character ever. I was so happy to finally have a Pegasus Knight for Celica, because Clair kicks rear end for Alm. But all Est does is die. Every enemy does more damage to her in her attack turn than she does to them.