Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.

Mat Cauthon posted:

This is part of the reason the last two seasons have had to dumb down literally every significant character. There was no reason for Dany to not zerg rush King's Landing as soon as she hit Westeros.

Qyburn and Euron get the hype, but Tyrion is the absolute MVP of Team Cersei.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Bregor posted:

I liked Clarke in Solo but that's probably another Unpopular Goon Opinion

I enjoyed solo more than the last Jedi.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

GannerOne posted:

Alt. #1:
-SJW-leftist/feminist happy ending with Dany on the throne.

Yes the guys pitching a "what if the Confederacy won the Civil War and slavery was still a thing" show are actually secret SJWs :jerkbag:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Dr_0ctag0n posted:

Arya became a ninja
Sansa was wed to Bolton
Hardhome
Cersei was tortured by the church I think
Theon lost his sausage

There were so many interesting character stories in that season imo.

Who the hell hated Hardhome?

Alhazred fucked around with this message at 19:16 on May 7, 2019

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Alhazred posted:

That's just how her face is, she's got resting :shepface:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vV0820t6ZU

More Emilia Clarke eyebrow game.

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.
Imagine if they'd ditched pointless poo poo like Dorne, Sansa-Ramsay, Stannis post-Blackwater, and the FOOKING LEGEND OF GIN ALLEY and instead spent those hours on things that actually mattered, like the loving horde of ice demons and zombies coming to end humanity?

They could have even spent some of that time setting up Dany's incoming heel turn beyond being her too mean to some slavers (which only seemed like a bad thing to crypto-confederate Lost Causers and was undermined by the subsequent Mereen narrative anyway).

The Little Kielbasa fucked around with this message at 19:31 on May 7, 2019

Feb 2, 2005

Vintersorg posted:

Coffee cups are cannon.

drat. So coffee cups are like the cheese in Perfect Dark. One in every season!!

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

The Little Kielbasa posted:

Imagine if they'd ditched pointless poo poo like Dorne, Sansa-Ramsay, Stannis post-Blackwater, and the FOOKING KING OF GIN ALLEY and instead spent those hours on things that actually mattered, like the loving horde of ice demons and zombies coming to end humanity?

They could have even spent some of that time setting up Dany's incoming heel turn beyond being her too mean to some slavers (which only seemed like a bad thing to crypto-confederate Lost Causers and was undermined by the subsequent Mereen narrative anyway).

Dany should have incinerated all the slavers :colbert:

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

No Wave posted:

It was. You might just be tasteless.

Haha Nice own, who can forget how good and clever HBO’s Game of Thrones by David Benioff and Dan Weiss used to be, no thanks to that fat idiot grim Tolkien Tolkien Martin, who is fat

(People without taste is who)

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

She locked her handmaiden in a safe to die because she crossed her.

When Cersei did that to the people who murdered her daughter, she was an evil bastard who deserved to die.

Sometimes Dany's in the wrong, sometimes she's super right (gently caress the slavers).

She's always a bit too keen on the whole "worship me or you're ash you gently caress" though.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

TulliusCicero posted:

Dany should have incinerated all the slavers :colbert:

she should've starved outside qarth.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

TulliusCicero posted:

She is absolutely hilarious when she does interviews and is like the exact opposite of Dany stoneface. It kinda sucks she doesn't have a role or any parts where she can ham it up. She might have made a good Yara honestly.

Now that you mention it, having Emilia Clarke with shorter dark hair as AshaYara could've actually been good. If they had kept the Greyjoy storyline, had the Kingsmoot, cast Mads Mikkelsen as Euron and blah blah blah different universe

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Shouldn’t that have killed Tyrion? Or did he die and we’re in Tyrion’s coma dreams

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Red posted:

Shouldn’t that have killed Tyrion? Or did he die and we’re in Tyrion’s coma dreams

He was in the water, it probably just knocked him out. Of all the silly contrivances this season, this is not a major one.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Imagine thinking “oops I told my husband to rape and pillage and enslave the whole country because I deserve to be queen because my dad was king and my race is superior, then I burned all the food in the land, but look, I tortured some nazis” is good and people who oppose that are new-confederates

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

new-confederates

whoa now. Benioff and Weiss haven't even started filming on the main show yet, let's not go saying it's getting a sequel just yet

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

That Italian Guy posted:

The writing has been bad for a while, but I haven't really turned on the show until s8e3; I always had the hope the good would outshine the bad in the end, even if the whole Dornish saga and the way the handled Arya's Eastern Trip has been abysmal.

Reminds me of something I read online recently:

quote:

Do you know what a “last straw event” actually IS? It is that event that drags allllll of the There And Then into the Here and Now: It makes manifest the Past in the Present. It is NOT the “size” of the event, it is the SAMENESS of the event.

The realization that things are not going to get better, that this is just the way things are now, changes everything. Usually this applies to things like jobs or relationships but there's no reason it can't also apply to television shows.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Haha Nice own, who can forget how good and clever HBO’s Game of Thrones by David Benioff and Dan Weiss used to be, no thanks to that fat idiot grim Tolkien Tolkien Martin, who is fat

(People without taste is who)
If you can't recognize a difference in quality between s1 and s8 you are huffing glue (objectively).

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

That Italian Guy posted:

The writing has been bad for a while, but I haven't really turned on the show until s8e3; I always had the hope the good would outshine the bad in the end, even if the whole Dornish saga and the way the handled Arya's Eastern Trip has been abysmal.

I feel exactly the same way op.

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019

Bregor posted:

rofl

Also I think the Jaime leaving scene can be read both ways, which is why it's one of the few interesting bits of the ep. Brienne's crying was a bit much, more romantic heartbreak than fellow honorable knight riding off to his death.

I imagine the intended takeaway is that Jaime is off to be with / help Cercei so it'll be a twist that in the end Jaime will kill her.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
S0803 was probably the most I've ever been let down by a television show, now that I think about it

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

iirc Clarke has read the books, so one would hope she's been expecting the Dany heel turn, and if she's unhappy with the ending to the show it's not because of a path she shoulda known for years now her character will go down

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I genuinely think show Jaime wants to appeal to whatever shred of humanity/love Cersei has left for him and save her from a crispy death, but he fails and they both end up dead when Dany takes KL

Vehementi
Jul 25, 2003

YOSPOS
I don't get why the catalyst for Jamie's leaving is apparently Sansa saying that Cersei will get murdered soon. Why would he start heading down there? I mean he's going to be 6 weeks late anyway...

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

not a bot posted:

Didn't they say budget being an issue and that they had to choose between Dorne and Iron Islands and they went with Dorne because Spain and sunshine.

Ah, the Adam Sandler approach to location filming.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

The Little Kielbasa posted:

Imagine if they'd ditched pointless poo poo like Dorne, Sansa-Ramsay, Stannis post-Blackwater, and the FOOKING LEGEND OF GIN ALLEY and instead spent those hours on things that actually mattered, like the loving horde of ice demons and zombies coming to end humanity?

But the ice demons and zombies ultimately didn't matter, they only got as far south as Winterfell, failed to kill any of the important characters, and all just exploded when the NK got shanked out of nowhere (by no one).

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

She doesn’t want to get killed at a later parley dumbass

There is a lot of bad writing this isn’t it

This is stupid. Who's she going to need to parley with after she kills Dany and her Dragon? If she's worried about being killed in the future why would she infuriate Dany, the only other person with comparable power to her? Why would the woman who doesn't care if the realm knows about her incest baby because she's too powerful for anyone to do anything about it worry about "a later parley"? Anyone wanting to talk to her will be summoned to the red keep and will have to shout from the far side of a wall of guardsmen while the monsterguard stands around her. This is the woman who blew up her realm's centre of worship with the leaders of the church and various high houses in it. The woman who promised to send her armies to fight the dead but then broke her word, not only broke her word but betrayed the whole side of the living in the battle against the dead. Oh, and she also sent an assassin to kill her brothers. Oathbreaking, kinslaying, breaking the feudal contract and committing mass-murder, no biggie, but she would never betray the sacred pact of the parley!

It absolutely was bad writing to put a bunch of people she wants to kill in a position where she could easily kill them and then have her not kill them without establishing any reason for her to not to. It was also bad writing to have Dany and co turn up with like 20 soldiers and sit with Drogon, their last dragon and most powerful weapon, in easy scorpion range. They're very trusting of Cersai, who again, just betrayed them, but there's no establishment of why they feel safe doing so. Why would Dany agree to put herself, her advisers, and Drogon in such a vulnerable position where her hated enemy holds all the power? Bad writing.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

TulliusCicero posted:

She is absolutely hilarious when she does interviews and is like the exact opposite of Dany stoneface. It kinda sucks she doesn't have a role or any parts where she can ham it up. She might have made a good Yara honestly.

She also is really open about her issues with filming because of the aneuyrisms and how she just worked through it.

I think she's probably just too nice of a person to play that part

It really needs someone who can go dark as hell

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

That Italian Guy posted:

^^^^^^^^^^ they have actual good character and strategist Tywin explain why this is a bad idea later on:
E: wrong clip, but Charles Dance is so good I'll leave it here anyway. In the correct clip, they mention how while they hide in their castle, the Dothraki will run amok in the countryside, killing and pillaging.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-fPqhXZrOE

I think you meant this scene
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpBBueLih_k

While I used to rewatch this scene with glee, now I watch it with sadness. How far we've come

Vehementi
Jul 25, 2003

YOSPOS
Dang

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I'm imagining it

i’m behind but this was a dope gamecube game

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

TheRat posted:

Yeah. D&D wrote 3, 4, 5 and 6. Miguel Sapochnik will direct ep 5, D&D directs ep 6.

Oh poo poo. I was okay with 3, but 4 really disappointed me. This doesn't have me optimistic about 5/6.

Vehementi
Jul 25, 2003

YOSPOS
I'm on the wishful thinking train someone else posted above -- they knew where they needed to be at Ep 5 and have an amazing Ep 5 and had to do dumb writing to get us there. Buuuuuut... it's probably more dumb

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

esperterra posted:

iirc Clarke has read the books, so one would hope she's been expecting the Dany heel turn, and if she's unhappy with the ending to the show it's not because of a path she shoulda known for years now her character will go down

Given that the showrunners disdain the books whenever they feel like it and have built Dany up as a sympathetic character (either deliberately or through lazy writing that failed to convey her instability and hunger for power) I can't blame Clarke for being mad about how she's (apparently) going to go out. Themes are for eighth graders, remember? Pulling a "well that's how it happened in the books" is a horseshit excuse at this point and it underscores how unearned or inconsistent so much of the character development (if you can call it that) has been for the past two seasons.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

She doesn’t want to get killed at a later parley dumbass

There is a lot of bad writing this isn’t it

Who is left to parley with her?

- Edmund Tully is a prison, and his heir is a captive. No need to parley with someone you can threaten and blackmail.
- Dorne was in chaos up until one episode ago, and they've always been antagonistic anyway.
- Half the great Northern houses are gone.
- House Arryn is run by an unstable asthmatic who is ostensibly an ally of the crown, despite the Vale Knights aiding in the Great War.
- Yara has taken the Iron Islands but her uncle still has a massive, apparently unstoppable fleet.

There's no one left to check her. Cersei holds the throne, the capital, and the credit with the Iron Bank. She can brute force anybody into submission, assuming they make it through the winter (remember, food supplies are supposed to be very low through Westeros, to the point that mass starvation is expected). Cersei doesn't care about respect or tradition, she cares about power. There's no reason to let them get within bow shot and then walk away.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Yeah, but when this war is through and Westeros has time to heal, another threat to her could easily pop up. She knows how much people hate her. I can buy show Cersei wanting to keep some tradition unbroken just in case, if only because in the show she has way more foresight than our paranoid and hasty book Cersei.

Plus if she provokes Dany to attack instead of destroying her then and there, Cersei prob thinks she will be heralded as the Queen who fought back the cruel foreign horde.

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now

That Italian Guy posted:

It's very lazy writing and I'm having a hard time understanding how it's gotten this lazy. I can't decide if it's because there were too many re-writes or not enough.

They could have hit all the same story beats without making the characters so reckless and stupid.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Also Cersei probably got off on being so cruel as to murder someone close to Dany in front of her eyes. How she knew Missandei was so important of all the people in that dragon pit meeting last year idk but :shrug:

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
The more I think about it, the more parallels I see with how dumb Lost became at the end. We need to get it over with so here's a bunch of insanely written bad episodes because we can't actually figure out anything to satisfyingly conclude all these stories.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

esperterra posted:

Also Cersei probably got off on being so cruel as to murder someone close to Dany in front of her eyes. How she knew Missandei was so important of all the people in that dragon pit meeting last year idk but :shrug:

Didn't Missandei still introduce and talk for Dany most of the time? That could have tipped her off honestly.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

oliwan posted:

The more I think about it, the more parallels I see with how dumb Lost became at the end. We need to get it over with so here's a bunch of insanely written bad episodes because we can't actually figure out anything to satisfyingly conclude all these stories.

To be fair some of the fan theories about the book and show are really loving dumb, like Bronn somehow being a surviving Reyne or that Varys or Tyrion or (insert character here) is a lost Targ/Blackfyre

But unfortunately the writing they decided to go with "because themes are for children" is just as loving dumb, like armies and navies smashing into each other repeatedly until one wins, with no thought of tactics or strategy, or meeting with Cersei for no purpose at all

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 21:14 on May 7, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
My favorite dumb book theory is still Euron = Daario because it comes from the same people that now complain that time travel distances don't make any sense in the show