Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Yes. I’d like to use the word “solve” for answering the question, but that word has connotations. After you solve this answer, you kinda just play out the game. I’ve gotten rid of Caverns due to how long setup took, and Teo takes up a decent amount of time, but only plays 4P in a bit over an hour

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

I found kemet to also be too frontloaded, but I'm aware my opinion is somewhat in the minority there.

Trajan, per your post, has some variable setup, but the decision space is mostly constant, ie decisions made in the middle of the game don't feel much much less impactful than the very first turn.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Chill la Chill posted:

Maybe I just don’t like Teotihuacan’s blend of mechanics and am making excuses for other games I personally enjoy.

I'm going to lean into this. Granted I've only played the game once with the default setup but I didn't find the variable starting goods you draft to make an impression and the resource requirement for taking actions would negate any tactical planning beyond like 3 turns. Teotihuacan's setup feels no more out of place than any action drafting Euro like Caylus or Dungeon Lords.

Now Five Tribes you can definitely make a case for the game being so variable and non-combative that the only thing a player has to look out for is not overpaying in turn order or setting up a more lucrative move for the player going next.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

It was more a comment about why I might be comparing similar games to it but I think the criticism applies to the group as a whole. I agree with five tribes. I don’t think comparing them to Caylus and DL as an action draft is fair since those are more classic WP (though with the programming twist in DL) while Teo/Gallerist are action selection with resource liquidity. All of them have been lumped into the giant umbrella of WP now and I think that’s partially the fault of kickstarters that continue to want to use “worker placement with a twist!” as a marketing phrase.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Chill la Chill posted:

It was more a comment about why I might be comparing similar games to it but I think the criticism applies to the group as a whole. I agree with five tribes. I don’t think comparing them to Caylus and DL as an action draft is fair since those are more classic WP (though with the programming twist in DL) while Teo/Gallerist are action selection with resource liquidity. All of them have been lumped into the giant umbrella of WP now and I think that’s partially the fault of kickstarters that continue to want to use “worker placement with a twist!” as a marketing phrase.

It's not an exclusive draft, but your actions in Teo are informed by the cost of the spaces which increases based on the number of occupants. It's not a game I worry puzzling out over the start because like Caylus the setup informs the first couple of turns then it evolves completely different from there.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

silvergoose posted:

On the other hand, take caverna, which has the same problem, just no variability at all.

What I'm saying is that frontloading the decision space too much means the only really important decisions you make are at the beginning, and that's not a great feeling.

Which is exactly my biggest problem with AFfO. :v:

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Mayveena posted:

Which is exactly my biggest problem with AFfO. :v:

Ah, except in feast I find the "what island should I take next" to be super impactful, at least with the expansion. Plus you can switch to other boats very very easily since it costs you no points or actions to buy a longboat and muscle into pillaging or a fleet of whaling boats.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Tekopo posted:

Res Arcana: Honestly this was a massive dud. We played without a draft (I know, I know) and I was just given a random set of cards and then all players had their deck play them instead of the other way around with some minimal "take that!" interactions. Another game that relies on a draft and even then it's a massive dud. The only interactions within the game are timing ones where if you get resources before someone else you can get specific buildings/points cards but it's almost impossible to actually affect your opponents so you are just running a lovely points engine over and over. Seriously bad and I don't understand the hype.

My friend who is a big fan of RFTG has played Res Arcana about a dozen times now. I don't know if a draft is required for it to be good, but he says it has the same sort of player interaction as RFTG: learning to read everyone else's tableaux and reacting accordingly. He contends that there are a lot more strategies than are obvious from just 1 or 2 plays.

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

Nothing has ever happened here, nothing.
Has anyone played Call to Adventure? Apparently I'll be playing it on Friday but I've never even heard of it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Radioactive Toy posted:

Has anyone played Call to Adventure? Apparently I'll be playing it on Friday but I've never even heard of it.

People in my group have played it, and they came back for more.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Breadnought posted:

Bonus game: The Shard of Infinity app came out today and that's about all I've been doing for the past three hours.

Can you elaborate, please? Recently I reinstalled Ascension on my phone and most players have a bajillion expansions I don't want to pick.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Check out these hot prices for CLINIC
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/avstudio-ludibooster/clinic-deluxe-edition?ref=profile_created

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

CaptainRightful posted:

My friend who is a big fan of RFTG has played Res Arcana about a dozen times now. I don't know if a draft is required for it to be good, but he says it has the same sort of player interaction as RFTG: learning to read everyone else's tableaux and reacting accordingly. He contends that there are a lot more strategies than are obvious from just 1 or 2 plays.
Unless I played it wrong I’m just not seeing this. The entire game is dependent on your mini deck and there’s no way to respond unless you have specific cards that allow you to reply

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Oh man that's tempting. I got Small City some time back and really enjoyed it, despite everyone I've played with hating the minutia of rules to remember. How does Clinic compare to it? Or, really, how does it stand on its own?

Breadnought
Aug 25, 2009

Fat Samurai posted:

Can you elaborate, please? Recently I reinstalled Ascension on my phone and most players have a bajillion expansions I don't want to pick.

So, I've never played Ascension, or any other deck builder except for Dominion, and even that I haven't played in a while. As I understand it he general complaint with market row deck builders is that you're at the whim of turn order when it comes to buys, and you may just not get anything that synergizes with your strategy. Shards doesn't fix the turn order issue, but it allows you to cycle through cards by allowing you to play some cards directly from the market so they don't clutter up your deck. Mastery is also a cool idea that allows certain cards to get stronger over the course of the game, and allows you to play defensively by going for an alternate win condition (at 30 Mastery, one of the default cards allows you to do infinite damage). I've been playing 2p against the AI, and I think it'll be my commute game for a while.

If you want a more nuanced opinion, I'd recommend Space-Biff's review.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Yeah Shards is the best market row deckbuilder by a fair margin, and it gets even better with the small expansion that will be added to the app later (gives you special cards you can add to your deck at 10 Mastery and a few more cards for the deck). The app is lightning fast if you turn on instant animations too, so you can play a full game in about 2-3 minutes.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?
So there is still no real easy, accessible way to get Kingdom Death: Monster in physical form for less than a few car payments, right?

I just check in to places every once in a while to make sure there's not a sale I'm missing, etc. No way will I pay $400 for the game, but I would like it at some point if the price comes down to something reasonable.

Before anyone goes into the whole "the minis and sculpts are so amazing, etc." thing. I get it. I'm sure they are. But I'd just as happily play the game with cardboard chits. The miniatures are awesome, but I'm not a minis geek, so it in no way justifies that price for me personally.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Couldn't stand that game :). Small City was so much better. Clinic was micro management hell. My parrot ate most of Small City, wish the designer would re-release it again.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

SlyFrog posted:

So there is still no real easy, accessible way to get Kingdom Death: Monster in physical form for less than a few car payments, right?

I just check in to places every once in a while to make sure there's not a sale I'm missing, etc. No way will I pay $400 for the game, but I would like it at some point if the price comes down to something reasonable.

Before anyone goes into the whole "the minis and sculpts are so amazing, etc." thing. I get it. I'm sure they are. But I'd just as happily play the game with cardboard chits. The miniatures are awesome, but I'm not a minis geek, so it in no way justifies that price for me personally.

Just play it on TTS honestly. It'll never be cheap because they have continually raised prices and continued to sell out.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Mayveena posted:

Couldn't stand that game :). Small City was so much better. Clinic was micro management hell. My parrot ate most of Small City, wish the designer would re-release it again.

I doubt it'll help unless you're over in the UK any time soon, but I'd be willing to part with my copy.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

Bottom Liner posted:

Just play it on TTS honestly. It'll never be cheap because they have continually raised prices and continued to sell out.

Last I checked on TTS (which I have, but cannot really figure out how to use), the current ruleset version wasn't available or something? Like the guy who was doing it walked away from it?

That, and wouldn't you need the rulebook? Is that even publicly available? I don't see a source of all of the various sheets and rules and stuff from a quick Google. Just a lot of discussion about it.

SlyFrog fucked around with this message at 19:06 on May 7, 2019

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Did you marry a man who married the sea? He looks right through you to the distant grey - calling, calling..

SlyFrog posted:

Last I checked on TTS (which I have, but cannot really figure out how to use), the current ruleset version wasn't available or something? Like the guy who was doing it walked away from it?

The only other option but it's time consuming and still not super cheap is to buy the game and then sell off all the models on ebay or Facebook. There's usually pretty good demand for most of the models, and the full set seems to go for about $200 which lowers the price substantially but its still not cheap by any means.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Mayveena posted:

https://twitter.com/AVStudioGames/status/1046686300823326720

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

Vanuatu 2nd edition is really interesting.

We played with a full five players, none of whom had played it before, and in a combination of people who tend to go off into conversational tangents, so we expected a learning game to go long, but this was a little over three hours. We had a good time anyway, so that's fine, and we all liked the game's systems. Each of them is fairly simple, and they come together to form an interesting whole. It can be brutal. I had one turn where the only action I managed to take was getting the first player marker for the next round, and another one not much better than that. Everyone else had at least a taste of that, and we took it in good humor.

The rulebook isn't amazing. It needed another pass on editing for clarity and some edge cases. Looking at the kickstarter page, a lot of the tokens got upgraded to meeples, which explains our confusion when we couldn't find the fish discs it told us to remove whenever some took the fishing action, that sort of thing. Sloppiness, and what looked like some vagaries of translation.

One issue, the lack of replenishment meant that resources quite simply ran out around round 5-6. That made it so 3/4 of the actions and roles were basically worthless for the last few rounds of the game. Players ended up just putting all their markers on the few actions that actually did anything, which actually speeded things up a bit, but wasn't exactly satisfying. It feels like the game is just not a five player game, and zero effort was put into player scaling. We all want to try it again with three or four, we just have to agree on who doesn't get to play next time.

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009
What makes Shards of infinity better than Star Realms? From descriptions it seems very similar.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

Another RftG question: how do you usually handle starting worlds? I feel like it's already a bit of a chore to find 9 cards after every game, and every expansion seems to add new ones. I was thinking of putting them in slightly bigger sleeves, so they're not too conspicuous when in a hand but easy to pick out from a deck.

Here are a few options:

1) just shuffle them in every game, then dig them out afterwards (or before the next one). The Most Correct™.
2) don't shuffle them into the deck. Now you will never be able to draw Old Earth when desperately searching for a consume power. Often I do this.
3) print an extra copy of each so the "real" ones can be in the deck, and the alternates used for setup. But how will you handle duplicates?
3a) If you draw a duplicate of a starting world in play, discard it and replace. This is what I would like to do but have been lazy.
3b) reveal discarded start worlds, and discard/replace those ones when they appear as well.
3c) just don't play 2 copies of a world, let the rest run wild.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

discount cathouse posted:

What makes Shards of infinity better than Star Realms? From descriptions it seems very similar.

Mastery as an alternate advancement to just deck building and mercenary cards that can be bought and added to your deck like normal or used and immediately trashed from the market row (this is huge because it keeps the market dynamic and adds a lot of depth to the simple play). That and the design just being tighter and better balanced in general goes a long way to making it a decent schlocky dueling deck builder.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

SlyFrog posted:

Very rarely I'll see a mini-less set bubble up on the 'Kingdom Death Night Market' facebook group and they usually go for half price or so. Don't see much movement of core games intact though at all.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

SlyFrog posted:

That, and wouldn't you need the rulebook? Is that even publicly available? I don't see a source of all of the various sheets and rules and stuff from a quick Google. Just a lot of discussion about it.

Not sure about the current version, but I found a module that had the entire rulebook, plus expansions available. It will probably be the most popular one.

Here is the first nerd that popped up on youtube when searching "playing KDM in TTS"

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Has anyone played the Game of Thrones boardgame? Do any of the editions/expansions feature the white walkers prominently as game pieces or as a mechanic?

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

Alan Smithee posted:

Has anyone played the Game of Thrones boardgame? Do any of the editions/expansions feature the white walkers prominently as game pieces or as a mechanic?

Yes, and no. The Others are a complete non-factor.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

Alan Smithee posted:

White walkers play no part in the game. There is a side game of funding the nights watch but that's about it.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

El Fideo posted:

Vanuatu 2nd edition is really interesting.

The characters do make things easier so you can end up with more money to do things. I have tried it with both characters and not characters and not characters is both easier to teach and more punishing to play. The game’s narrative arc does sometimes cause the late game to have no resources. But, it does stress the importance of getting resources whenever you can. It depends on when those resource tiles and tourists come out. Three is too loose since people just specialize. Four is great but I don’t think I’ve really felt that five was too many. Most of my plays have actually been with five and I’ve only recently started playing without the character cards. One thing I’ve noticed is that with the characters, first player gets bid on more often but I need more plays to see if that’s an actual effect of characters or just people not realizing how good first player is. At first look, last player has the best info so obviously the best. But, last player also has to spend one more action disc than anybody else or has to be a bottom feeder going for open spots.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Gutter Owl posted:

Yes, and no. The Others are a complete non-factor.

They must have consulted with the future show writers before making the game.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

The Expansion for Manhattan Project: Energy Empire has gone live on kickstarter with full rules pdf.

Most of it is just more cards, but I really like the espionage addition and the doomsday clock seems cool just reading about it but I'm not sure if it's actually going to be good.

Chubbs
Feb 13, 2008

In a thousand years, Gandahar was destroyed. A thousand years ago, Gandahar will be saved, and what can't be avoided will be.
Grimey Drawer

Retromancer posted:

The Expansion for Manhattan Project: Energy Empire has gone live on kickstarter with full rules pdf.

Most of it is just more cards, but I really like the espionage addition and the doomsday clock seems cool just reading about it but I'm not sure if it's actually going to be good.

The base game is pretty highly regarded, right? They're actually offering it at a discounted rate ($40 when you buy it along with the expansion) with free shipping.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

Chubbs posted:

The base game is pretty highly regarded, right? They're actually offering it at a discounted rate ($40 when you buy it along with the expansion) with free shipping.

Energy Empire is great. It's in my personal top 10, but I probably love it more than most people.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

Fat Samurai posted:

Not sure about the current version, but I found a module that had the entire rulebook, plus expansions available. It will probably be the most popular one.

Here is the first nerd that popped up on youtube when searching "playing KDM in TTS"

Thank you all for effort posts. I will take a look.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

For you Cthulhu Wars peeps, other than a larger map, the extra factions, and the high priests what should I look at getting? One of the new Tcho Tcho books is apparently not suggested without some of the neutrals, but I don't know if I should look into those because I would prefer to keep the game relatively rules light.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Shadow225 posted:

For you Cthulhu Wars peeps, other than a larger map, the extra factions, and the high priests what should I look at getting? One of the new Tcho Tcho books is apparently not suggested without some of the neutrals, but I don't know if I should look into those because I would prefer to keep the game relatively rules light.

IGOOs don't add that much individually - you summon one by paying 2 Doom and only if you have a faction GOO in play - but they can really alter the game in other ways. Atlach-Nacha and Eihort are especially bad for this.

If you don't want any neutrals, then skip the Tcho-Tcho Tribes. If you really want the Tribes, pick up the Azathoth neutral faction because it'll give you a bit of everything.