Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

ilkhan posted:

Only in the us. Russian boats are hims, I think.

They're mostly named after men, but much like the USS John F Kennedy, George Washington, Theodore Roosevelt, and Ronald Reagan, they're all referred to as "she"

E: Or do you mean that the Russian language uses "he" and that it's just in English that all boats are "she"? I'm not very familiar with Slavic languages

The Door Frame fucked around with this message at 20:30 on May 7, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Fermented Tinal posted:

I thought most cars were girls too.

All of my cars have been named girl names.

Bonnie
Betty
Rhonda
Matilda
Melba
Marsha
Beverly
Bianca
Felicia
Lainey

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then

The Door Frame posted:

They're mostly named after men, but much like the USS John F Kennedy, George Washington, Theodore Roosevelt, and Ronald Reagan, they're all referred to as "she"

E: Or do you mean that the Russian language uses "he" and that it's just in English that all boats are "she"? I'm not very familiar with Slavic languages
AFAIK they are referred to as He, just like most boats in the US are referred to as She. Not the name, just the reference.
Or at least thats what I remember from Hunt for Red October.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Powershift posted:

500w is the legal limit for a "power assist bicycle". there is no legal limit for moped, just the 70kph speed limiter, but a moped would need a vin, insurance, registration, and only be allowed on roads.

Yeah, I don't know Canadian laws, but if you're limited to 20mph, that racer bike look would be embarassing.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Somewhat Heroic posted:

All of my cars have been named girl names.

Bonnie

This had better have been a Pontiac Bonneville.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Lol of course now that I mentioned Amazon getting their poo poo together in here the other day they're being douche-bags about leaving my package. Fuckers!

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

KillHour posted:

This had better have been a Pontiac Bonneville.

You bet your rear end it was

1980. It was purchased for my brother by my parents for the princely sum of $1000 cash in 1996. It had less than 30K miles. My sister used it for a time, then it was mine in 2001. I think when we sold it there was less than 50K miles on the thing. We had a custom vinyl sticker on the back window before that really became a thing that said "Beast Lightning" with thunderbolts before and after the letters. It was a 25 gallon gas tank and averaged about 10 MPG. You never had to slow down for speed bumps and with the long wheelbase it was excellent for doing drifts in snow covered parking lots. I did many stupid wonderful things in that car including neutral drops.

What a machine.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

My Scirocco, Charlie, is a girl with a boys name. If she was a person she'd be tattooed and pierced and would listen to Skinny Puppy and Frontline Assembly exclusively. Thats why I love that car so much.

I had a New Beetle that was a dude named Pepe but he was bitchy and effeminate and hated women. Any time my gf would drive it the alarm would go off and the engine wouldnt start. Let my step mom borrow it one time and the battery died and the hood latch broke so there was no way she could drive it at all.

All my cars have had names but those two have (had) distinct personalities

Ive also lost my mind and I have just about all the parts gathered to turbo the Scirocco before I put the TDI in. The engine has like 300k miles on it so it should be interesting at least.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

meatpimp posted:

Yeah, I don't know Canadian laws, but if you're limited to 20mph, that racer bike look would be embarassing.

Not with an extended swingarm and underglow :colbert:

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Is a $10 HF torque wrench better than none? And what size should I get with my $10 coupon. 1/2 or 1/4

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

everdave posted:

Is a $10 HF torque wrench better than none? And what size should I get with my $10 coupon. 1/2 or 1/4

1/4 is bicycle stuff. 1/2 is car stuff. Get both.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

NumbersMatching320 posted:

I've known way more women with panther cars than dudes tho, and they're not really all that masculine a car at least as V8 FR sedans go. Even the older bricky ones aren't particularly butch compared to their competitors or their stablemates.

My wife likes my Crown Vic. She's driving it, now, because she has a shorter commute (like, 3 miles) and her back started giving her poo poo when she tries to use the clutch in the Kia. OK, with me, other than I miss my booming system in the CV. The Kia is actually fun to drive and *way* easier to park. Doesn't have the authority the CV has, though.

Queen Combat posted:

E: yeah, vocal cord/surgery. The cords were lasered thin, stitched partially together, and then pulled tight by moving the entire larynx about 1 3/4 cm "higher," towards the teeth.

Ah, so you're going to have to get used to someone else's voice coming out of your mouth, then. That will be weird, I imagine.

T-Square posted:

:lol: That's literally a knock-off electric Grom, I love it!

Edit: Also lol at the zoomed in picture of the BLUETOOH MP3 PLAYER haphazardly bolted to the undertail with a piece of scrap metal.

The vestigial pedals are also amusing.
Go look at the EM2 - it's the same thing, only "sport bike" rather than Grom.
Both neat for what they are, though. Pity they don't make a version of either that can do highway speeds and range and compete with Zero. My commute is only 12 miles, but it's partially on a 60 MPH highway, with no real easy way around it.

meatpimp posted:

Amazingly, I needed the 1/4" (inch-pounds) torque wrench for several car things. Automatic transmission bits comes to mind.
But the 1/2" is more useful if you only can get one.
And yeah, *a* torque wrench is better than none, unless it's off by a *lot*. Reminds me I should maybe see about getting my HF torque wrenches calibrated, just to see.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

meatpimp posted:

1/4" is definitely valve cover bolt stuff :colbert:

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

The Door Frame posted:

Isn't almost every boat a girl boat?

The Bismarck is a he.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVWEb-At8yc

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Oil pan and trans pan as well.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Lol you torque down the valve cover? I don’t torque a lot of poo poo guess I probably should tho :v:

I don’t torque oil or trans pans either :shrug:

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 00:21 on May 8, 2019

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Lol you torque down the valve cover? I don’t torque a lot of poo poo guess I probably should tho :v:

You can really gently caress up stamped steel pans and covers by going full ape.

sometimes even half ape will do it.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I don’t go full ape tho I just get it snug and then check it a week or so later. Same with pans.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

meatpimp posted:

Woah hold up Richie Rich! Ha I’ll probably get both.

Man this is the most pleasant easiest oil change ever on the Land Cruiser. So much room!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Is that a big berkley bucket? The hell did you buy from berkley that came in a 5 gallon bucket? A literal bucket of worms, lol?

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Elmnt80 posted:

Is that a big berkley bucket? The hell did you buy from berkley that came in a 5 gallon bucket? A literal bucket of worms, lol?

This IS Tennessee after all

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

everdave posted:

I got the half inch last month. It'll get you in the general ballpark; I wouldn't use it for a head gasket or aviation, but for stuff where exact torque isn't as critical, it's fine.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Beverly Cleavage posted:

And that, right there, is why I'm starting to really be depressed/anxious for my kids.

Can't lie, it's a part of why I won't have any. I'd be a terrible parent anyway, but creating someone who's going to have to live in the climate hell we've created just doesn't seem moral. :smith:

The Bismarck went on one offensive operation, lasting all of eight days, and got crippled by obsolete biplane torpedo bombers before the Royal Navy pounded it to the sea floor. Calling it the 'King of the Sea' is revisionist as hell.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
It did destroy the pride of the British fleet and was so heavily armored that it was only sunk by being scuttled, despite being pelted with nearly 3000 shells, including getting hit point blank by volleys from 16" guns

It was the Edsel of war ships

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
The Hood's sinking was mostly a lucky shot, IIRC. Took a hit just wrong and it penetrated to the magazines, setting off a chain explosion that broke her back.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
The Hood was maybe nominally the pride of the fleet but the RN was well aware that it was poo poo.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

HF torque wrenches are decent for the money. Techs at work said they brought some to the snap on guy to test to see how well they were calibrated and were pretty spot on, they were surprised. I had to warranty one that must have stripped internally, and got another one no questions asked. I have a 3/8" and 1/2" and probably should get a 1/4" for aforementioned bike stuff.

Naming cars is weird. :colbert: Unless it's something like "Piece of poo poo" or "shitbox," mine don't get personification.

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 12:41 on May 8, 2019

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
The Swordfish may have been considered obsolete in 1939 but it somehow outlasted more than one intended replacement and sunk a greater tonnage of Axis shipping than any other Allied aircraft.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

Suburban Dad posted:

Naming cars is weird. :colbert:

My car is called Beryl. Fight me. :nixon:

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
My car is called Sandi cuz we bought it from a dealer called Sandicliffe.

my last car was called Fishbox

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

fridge corn posted:

my last car was called Fishbox

...was it named after an ex?

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

slothrop posted:

The Swordfish may have been considered obsolete in 1939 but it somehow outlasted more than one intended replacement and sunk a greater tonnage of Axis shipping than any other Allied aircraft.

Everything that made them obsolete made them perfect for torpedoing modern boats because the German guns were sighted and loaded to fight modern planes. The Swordfish was so slow that even a plane dead center in the crosshairs would be overshot by a long way, and the rounds that found their mark didn't detonate on contact with the canvas skinned aircraft

E: My current car is Agnes, but past cars include Mia, Meridith, Stephanie, Angelica, and The Leprechaun Bus

The Door Frame fucked around with this message at 14:28 on May 8, 2019

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

My cars are "The Aston," "The Stinger," and "The RS." :effort:

Yes, I realize one of those is a manufacturer, one is a model number and one is a trim level.

My girlfriend calls the Stinger "Lola" so maybe that counts.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

The Door Frame posted:

Everything that made them obsolete made them perfect for torpedoing modern boats because the German guns were sighted and loaded to fight modern planes. The Swordfish was so slow that even a plane dead center in the crosshairs would be overshot by a long way, and the rounds that found their mark didn't detonate on contact with the canvas skinned aircraft

Most of this is kind of post-facto nonsense. The problem with the AAA suite on German warships, in particular the Bismarck, was that it was poo poo, not that the Swordfish somehow cleverly escaped the engagement envelope in a way no other plane could.

The large AAA suite, 10.5cm guns, were centrally controlled using SL-8 coincidence or stereoscopic rangefinders. I can't find any evidence as hard as I try to indicate that the fire control system could not track planes flying at ~120mph - and in fact this type of rangefinder is pretty well speed agnostic and is the same type that is used for training guns on ships. The problem with the 10.5cm guns was that they were mounted poorly on the hull and could not depress sufficiently to hit airplanes flying just above the waves. Oops.

The small AAA suite was 3.7cm guns in twin mounts that were locally controlled. Crosshairs on locally controlled guns don't work the way you describe - it is in fact entirely up to the gunner to accurately "lead" the target and there were no tachymetric systems to account for the speed of the aircraft. The lack of centralized fire control and the semi-automatic 3.7 cm guns made it really hard to hit anything, and also reduced the overall throw weight of the guns.

German AAA scored hits on five of fifteen Swordfish in the last strike package - that's good performance considering how loving poo poo the AAA suite was, and indicates that the Swordfish wasn't capable of some kind of trickery that allowed it to not be accurately targeted.

A faster, modern torpedo bomber (a Kate, for instance, or an Avenger) could have made the same attacks with as good, if not better, a result. The 10.5cm gun problem would be the same (the Swordfish can't fly lower than either of those), and the manually controlled 3.7cm guns would put up an even worse performance against faster planes. The Swordfish was good at sinking planes because there weren't any alternatives in the early war in Europe, and by the late war in Europe most Axis poo poo had already been sunk or defected or scuttled.

edit: car names: "the stranger" (Ranger), "maxima" "the one" (1-series) "the ford" (focus) "the m5"/"that loving car" - I don't fully understand anthropomorphizing machinery

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Watching the Theranos documentary on HBO, and there are some striking similarities to that Gordon Ramsay Kitchen Nightmares where he goes to Amy's Baking Company (or whatever it was called). Seriously though, the whole thing is such a debacle.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

WW2 nerds itt I love it. I’ve always been intrigued about the Bizmark and the Yamato. Both of them falling way short of expectations, both interesting stories.

For car names my son calls my xB the Xbox, kinda fitting really for a boxy econobox :v:

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I don't fully understand anthropomorphizing machinery

Beep boop what is hu-man boop boop beeeeeep

mewse
May 2, 2006

MrOnBicycle posted:

Watching the Theranos documentary on HBO, and there are some striking similarities to that Gordon Ramsay Kitchen Nightmares where he goes to Amy's Baking Company (or whatever it was called). Seriously though, the whole thing is such a debacle.

It astonishes me they stacked the board with people as high profile as James Mattis

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Applebees Appetizer posted:

WW2 nerds itt I love it. I’ve always been intrigued about the Bizmark and the Yamato. Both of them falling way short of expectations, both interesting stories.

For car names my son calls my xB the Xbox, kinda fitting really for a boxy econobox :v:

people love talkin bout guns and armor but Fire Control Wins Battles

Adiabatic posted:

Beep boop what is hu-man boop boop beeeeeep

sure, not giving my car a human name makes me a robot because???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

mewse posted:

It astonishes me they stacked the board with people as high profile as James Mattis

Yeah it's what happens when none of them have a clue about the technology is, and when you are a charming sociopath that gets anyone to listen to you (even when presented with facts that it's all BS). Also, the less focused upon premise of ordering your own blood tests without a doctor prescribing it first is so incredibly flawed (and IMO stupid) because that's not at all how medicine works.