Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

A Sometimes Food posted:

This and the current team made the DKC Returns games. So it's not like modern Retro doesn't have amazing people there. Now sure DKCR is a very different animal. But much of the team did as you say work on the Primes even if under different leadership. So it's not like they're lacking in relevant experience either.

Yeah, I'm not worried about MP4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Maple Leaf posted:

I tend to play my Switch in bed for about an hour or so before going to sleep. Lately, my Switch has been making this low, quiet humming noise towards its left side, like something is caught in its fans.

My Joy-cons have been drifting really badly lately and I've been thinking of taking them apart to clean them, and I know it's a common problem. Is the Switch making those noises also a regular issue? Can it be fixed the same way? My Switch is a release-day system, so I don't imagine it's under warranty.

Hum is likely the fan in a cooldown cycle. Some games don't cause the system to get hot so it just doesn't happen. It will spin up to max when you power off to quickly cool it down so it can go to sleep. Projectors do the exact same thing.

The drift is caused by the joysticks being short and the tech behind that. The contact pads slowly erode if you press the stick too hard especially if you are just trudging along by holing the stick up or whipping it back and forth a lot.

The Pro Controller avoids most of the problems with having to baby the stick. I never used excessive force when playing any game on any console but a lot of people seem to destroy joycon sticks. You can clean up the debris of the eroded pad and get some more life out of it but eventually it will just destroy itself. The sticks are just bulk purchased and not made by Nintendo. You can buy pretty much identical replacement sticks pretty cheap and that's probably the best way to go about it instead of mucking about inside the casing of the stick itself.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

American McGay posted:

Browsing the eShop online and I'm just now realizing that there are over 100 ACA NEOGEO ports available for the Switch, every single one of which is $8. I can't help but think how much money Nintendo is leaving on the table by not having any sort of virtual console presence on this thing.

one thing I can say about SNK, they were dead loving serious about resurrecting their game production and by god they made sure all their old games would find their way onto every platform available. Only thing missing is the beautiful KOF13.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

American McGay posted:

Browsing the eShop online and I'm just now realizing that there are over 100 ACA NEOGEO ports available for the Switch, every single one of which is $8. I can't help but think how much money Nintendo is leaving on the table by not having any sort of virtual console presence on this thing.

Lol at paying for Super Mario Bros 1 in 2019 but I would slam :20bux: down for Super Metroid again in a heartbeat.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
Been playing Puyo Puyo Champions for some time now, so here are my impressions so far:
  • I'm not good at Puyo. Compared to other players who seem to lay out compos effortlessly, I'm slow as poo poo with a hint of analysis paralysis. Add to the fact the game has a counter attack system, I'm easily decimated. I just wanna rank up, damnit.
  • The game has two modes: Puyo Puyo 2 and Puyo Puyo Fever. PP2 is your regular Puyo you know from Puyo Puyo Tetris. PPF on the other hand has a Fever mode that's activated from scrapping garbage and stuff from your stage, where you are given a chance to score quick combos. It's a great way to level the playfield just a little bit.
  • The Replay system from PPT is enhanced, now you can jump to that bit where you made that awesome 7 combo hit without having to search by hand.
  • You can take video clips of the game, unlike in PPT for whatever reason.
  • Single player wise there isn't much to talk about. Solo games are either single plays or endurance runs.
  • There's a tournament mode, where you play-off each other. Sadly, it's local play only, but it's there for friends or esport events.
For ten bucks you can't really ask for more. Well, maybe some little things, but eh.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

American McGay posted:

You would probably be surprised at how many people are paying monthly for Nintendo Online, and they will probably make more money using the Classics App than selling those VC games individually.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
My left joycon likes to come detached while I'm playing games, I heard there's metal buckles you can replace the plastic ones with, does anyone have a link

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Takoluka posted:

You would probably be surprised at how many people are paying monthly for Nintendo Online, and they will probably make more money using the Classics App than selling those VC games individually.
How many of those people are subbing specifically for the paltry selection of NES games? And how many of those people wouldn't have spent at least $20 on classic games if they were available piecemeal?

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true

pixaal posted:

Hum is likely the fan in a cooldown cycle. Some games don't cause the system to get hot so it just doesn't happen. It will spin up to max when you power off to quickly cool it down so it can go to sleep. Projectors do the exact same thing.

The drift is caused by the joysticks being short and the tech behind that. The contact pads slowly erode if you press the stick too hard especially if you are just trudging along by holing the stick up or whipping it back and forth a lot.

The Pro Controller avoids most of the problems with having to baby the stick. I never used excessive force when playing any game on any console but a lot of people seem to destroy joycon sticks. You can clean up the debris of the eroded pad and get some more life out of it but eventually it will just destroy itself. The sticks are just bulk purchased and not made by Nintendo. You can buy pretty much identical replacement sticks pretty cheap and that's probably the best way to go about it instead of mucking about inside the casing of the stick itself.

Well the Joy-con issues didn't start up until I started playing Smash, so, mystery solved :v: So my best bet is to just buy replacement Joy-cons? I was hoping to avoid that, but I guess if that's my only recourse, then that's what I have to do.

The hum is from playing BotW, which I understand is more intensive than most, so I guess that's some good news.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I'd have gladly paid like 30 bux a year if the Online app came with everything on the SNES Classic and more. NES Games have aged like cheap beer but SNES library still owns. GBA/N64 games would be great too but at the glacial pace we get NES stuff, won't hold my breath.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

American McGay posted:

How many of those people are subbing specifically for the paltry selection of NES games? And how many of those people wouldn't have spent at least $20 on classic games if they were available piecemeal?

It reminds me of when Sony started offering freebies for PS+ last generation and they started with PS1 games, then eventually they dropped those and started offering more and more PS1 games individually as purchases on the PSN. I have something like 40 or 50 of them on my accounts, and they all cost between $5-10 a piece (Square-Enix liked to charge more for their prestige games) and if I add up all these numbers at their bare minimums it's the cost of 4 years worth of PS+ I spent solely on these classics.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Maple Leaf posted:

Well the Joy-con issues didn't start up until I started playing Smash, so, mystery solved :v: So my best bet is to just buy replacement Joy-cons? I was hoping to avoid that, but I guess if that's my only recourse, then that's what I have to do.

The hum is from playing BotW, which I understand is more intensive than most, so I guess that's some good news.

No you don't need an entirely new joycon, just the stick. You buy a slim stick from China for a few dollars and connect just unplug the old ribbon cable and plug in the new one. You'll need a 3 pointed screwdriver that Nintendo loves using and a pair of teasers can help with ribbon cables. (assuming the joycons use them, haven't done a swap myself but have read the stuff linked in thread since I'm sure it'll happen with the hundreds of hours of use it's a matter of time). Ribbon cables are pretty drat easy to use. Should be a 5 minute repair.

Pro Controller is going to get around the issue since you will have a longer stick that doesn't need to use the lovely pads low-profile sticks use, which is the cause of the issue.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

pixaal posted:

No you don't need an entirely new joycon, just the stick. You buy a slim stick from China for a few dollars and connect just unplug the old ribbon cable and plug in the new one. You'll need a 3 pointed screwdriver that Nintendo loves using and a pair of teasers can help with ribbon cables. (assuming the joycons use them, haven't done a swap myself but have read the stuff linked in thread since I'm sure it'll happen with the hundreds of hours of use it's a matter of time). Ribbon cables are pretty drat easy to use. Should be a 5 minute repair.

Pro Controller is going to get around the issue since you will have a longer stick that doesn't need to use the lovely pads low-profile sticks use, which is the cause of the issue.

Nintendo really needs to make joycons stronger somehow to make them not drift. It’s really lovely to have to do this stuff.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
I was standing around for a bit in Shakedown Hawaii trying to figure out what market to try to corner next when a hair stylist I had previously ran over came up to me and clipped off all my Korean boy band hair and proceeded to stab me with the scissors once I was bald.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true

pixaal posted:

I own a Pro controller and I love it, but I'm not about to take it into bed with me to play my Switch with. It's a convenience thing, you see.

Did some shopping online and ordered a pair of stick replacements. I got a DIY kit from Amazon which ran me a little under $30 (Canadian), so, fingers crossed!

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

pixaal posted:

Is it really that easy? I've never been good at DIY and I'm very hesitant to try it myself, though the price is steep for joy-cons. I've taken to doing a lot more table-top with my pro. My left joycon is temporarily ok. It's the right one that feels thoroughly hosed, it's been ages since I've been able to use it solo as it is, so replacing them eventually isn't out of the question.

Where does one get a 3 pointed screw driver? Does that format come in the usual screwdriver tool kits?

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

SeANMcBAY posted:

Nintendo really needs to make joycons stronger somehow to make them not drift. It’s really lovely to have to do this stuff.

They're only $80, gotta cut corners somewhere

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Is it really that easy? I've never been good at DIY and I'm very hesitant to try it myself, though the price is steep for joy-cons. I've taken to doing a lot more table-top with my pro. My left joycon is temporarily ok. It's the right one that feels thoroughly hosed, it's been ages since I've been able to use it solo as it is, so replacing them eventually isn't out of the question.

Where does one get a 3 pointed screw driver? Does that format come in the usual screwdriver tool kits?

Any precision screwdriver kit, or just type in Nintendo screw driver on amazon, you'll find a ten dollar kit that'll probably be a small Phillips, a tri wing, and maybe the security bits

Edit the first result on Amazon is for a 12 dollar kit with literally everything you'll need to do basic ninty repairs/mods

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

bushisms.txt posted:

That just means the next kirby game is about to be announced.

A preview was already shown!

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Sega filed for a new Super Monkey Ball trademark. Please...

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Any precision screwdriver kit, or just type in Nintendo screw driver on amazon, you'll find a ten dollar kit that'll probably be a small Phillips, a tri wing, and maybe the security bits

Edit the first result on Amazon is for a 12 dollar kit with literally everything you'll need to do basic ninty repairs/mods

Everyone should own one of these kits anyway.

They are super handy.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

SeANMcBAY posted:

But then they can't sell you a new $80 controller

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Sega filed for a new Super Monkey Ball trademark. Please...

If any game has gyro controls

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

DLC Inc posted:

one thing I can say about SNK, they were dead loving serious about resurrecting their game production and by god they made sure all their old games would find their way onto every platform available. Only thing missing is the beautiful KOF13.

It really blows my mind that every game developer isn’t actively working to make their back catalog available every generation. It’s a proven money maker, it won’t cannibalize your new stuff, and it keeps your name in the headlines.

Why isn’t everyone that isnt a one-man-shop doing this?

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 23:42 on May 7, 2019

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

It really blows my mind that every game developer isn’t actively working to make their back catalog available every generation. It’s a proven money maker, it won’t cannibalize your new stuff, and it keeps your name in the headlines.

Why isn’t everyone that isnt a one-man-ship doing this?

The last three titles I've played on my Switch are Darksiders, Turok, and LA Noire. I have the Sega Genesis Collection on my shelf.

My dude, they are doing this, and it rocks.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

A lot are, but not all! I want all of the games dammit!!!

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Why isn’t everyone that isnt a one-man-shop doing this?

One issue mentioned earlier is that some of the original source code for old games has been lost.

Some older games have licensing and rights issues that make rereleasing a nightmare.

I think some of the old companies just are slow to adapt. Same thing happened with old TV shows and DVDs and streaming.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I think the reasoning behind not porting older games was twofold: 1, until this generation, all three console makers supported backwards compatibility, so the cost of porting recent games didn't make a whole lot of sense and 2. There was, until recently, more money to be made by making a sequel and getting most of the fans of the previous game to buy the new one.

Now that backwards compatibility is mostly dead (it would be completely dead if Microsoft wasn't starved of titles) and people are warming to the concept of rebuying recent games (hands up, everyone that has owned both the Wii U and Switch versions of Mario Kart 8) people are porting more than ever.

It also helps that the Switch, being roughly on par with the PS3, makes it an ideal target for previous gen ports for those Nintendo diehards who missed out on a lot of Gen VI AAA titles during the Wii/Wii U era, or are fine with paying $30-$40 to replay a title they played years ago.

On that note, where the gently caress are my Arkham Asylum and City Switch ports, Rocksteady?

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Sega is really good with legacy stuff being available/have the incredible work of M2 on their side and Capcom/SNK has been hitting it out of the park to an insane degree on every possible platform. I'd say those 3 are the league leaders of making everything in their catalog available.

Squeenix are the morons of the pack with doing everything from loving with translations and graphics to losing the loving source code of original games. And then you have Nintendo, who don't get it because they have the power to put so much out there but dripfeeds it to an excruciating degree.

Konami is sitting on a treasure trove of stuff but they are a wildcard. Hopefully there's more to come after the first Castlevania pack but hard to tell because they are managed by psychopaths and dopes.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

DLC Inc posted:

Konami is sitting on a treasure trove of stuff but they are a wildcard. Hopefully there's more to come after the first Castlevania pack but hard to tell because they are managed by psychopaths and dopes.

It's been a page or three so this is my obligatory "Jesus Christ Konami give us just ONE MGS game on the Switch, I'm begging you!" post

Edit: In before "monkeys paw curls, Metal Gear Survive is now available for the Switch"

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Monkey paw curls the other way, preorder Metal Gear Portable Ops HD today

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

homeless snail posted:

You know what, I'd loving buy it in the hopes that sales would be good enough for them to port Peace Walker next (they used the same engine right?)

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

DLC Inc posted:

Sega is really good at selling ports of old games and not making any new ones of the same IPs

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time

No. 1 Callie Fan posted:

Been playing Puyo Puyo Champions for some time now, so here are my impressions so far:
  • I'm not good at Puyo. Compared to other players who seem to lay out compos effortlessly, I'm slow as poo poo with a hint of analysis paralysis. Add to the fact the game has a counter attack system, I'm easily decimated. I just wanna rank up, damnit.
  • The game has two modes: Puyo Puyo 2 and Puyo Puyo Fever. PP2 is your regular Puyo you know from Puyo Puyo Tetris. PPF on the other hand has a Fever mode that's activated from scrapping garbage and stuff from your stage, where you are given a chance to score quick combos. It's a great way to level the playfield just a little bit.
  • The Replay system from PPT is enhanced, now you can jump to that bit where you made that awesome 7 combo hit without having to search by hand.
  • You can take video clips of the game, unlike in PPT for whatever reason.
  • Single player wise there isn't much to talk about. Solo games are either single plays or endurance runs.
  • There's a tournament mode, where you play-off each other. Sadly, it's local play only, but it's there for friends or esport events.
For ten bucks you can't really ask for more. Well, maybe some little things, but eh.

It’s getting an update sometime this summer with 100+ lessons. Well, the Japanese version is at least, so I can only assume the Western release will at some point as well. It looks like Champions is a version or two behind the Japanese version, as that version has already gotten a few combo practice modes in addition to what was in the 1.0 release.

It’s an odd duck of a staggered release. My rating carried over from the Japanese version, but nothing else.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

DLC Inc posted:

And then you have Nintendo, who don't get it because they have the power to put so much out there but dripfeeds it to an excruciating degree.

Sega is guilty of this too. How many places can you buy Sonic 2? Every platform ever. Where can you buy Dreamcast games? A thrift shop, I guess

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Sega is basically an Atlus and Yakuza factory now while they outsource their IPs to everyone else (Streets of Rage 4, Sonic Mania, etc etc) and I'm fine with that. It's better than companies like Taito/Konami/Squeenix who own great IPs and do gently caress all with them. It's cool that Sega just lets people like Lizardcube and Christian Whitehead rent their properties, something more companies should do if they don't actually plan on making stuff in-house themselves.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

asecondduck posted:

I think the reasoning behind not porting older games was twofold: 1, until this generation, all three console makers supported backwards compatibility, so the cost of porting recent games didn't make a whole lot of sense and 2. There was, until recently, more money to be made by making a sequel and getting most of the fans of the previous game to buy the new one.

Now that backwards compatibility is mostly dead (it would be completely dead if Microsoft wasn't starved of titles) and people are warming to the concept of rebuying recent games (hands up, everyone that has owned both the Wii U and Switch versions of Mario Kart 8) people are porting more than ever.

It also helps that the Switch, being roughly on par with the PS3, makes it an ideal target for previous gen ports for those Nintendo diehards who missed out on a lot of Gen VI AAA titles during the Wii/Wii U era, or are fine with paying $30-$40 to replay a title they played years ago.

On that note, where the gently caress are my Arkham Asylum and City Switch ports, Rocksteady?

wanted to check

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Super No Vacancy posted:

wanted to check

I'm pretty sure last year MS confirmed at E3 that the Next Xbox would be backwards compatible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

homeless snail posted:

My buddy and I loved going around picking up soldiers off of WiFi signals.

God drat was that super innovative.