Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I'm playing Ayesha as my first one and I'm enjoying it well enough, but I'm not sure I'm gonna continue with the series. I enjoy the story and characters but the core alchemy mechanics don't really do much for me and my understanding is that's central to the whole series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

I'M TAKIN' YOU PUNKS DOWN!

Regy Rusty posted:

I'm playing Ayesha as my first one and I'm enjoying it well enough, but I'm not sure I'm gonna continue with the series. I enjoy the story and characters but the core alchemy mechanics don't really do much for me and my understanding is that's central to the whole series.

If you don’t care for the gameplay, the characters are definitely not strong enough by themselves to keep you engaged across three games. You don’t have to minmax to win (unless you try the DLC content), but you will need to put in a lot of time making items just to avoid a bad ending.

Fru Fru
Sep 14, 2007
We're gonna need a bigger boat...and some water.

Terminally Bored posted:

Thanks!

Do these trilogies have overarching story arcs or just the same world?

It is mostly just the same world with characters popping up from earlier games. Each one has its own self-contained story though.

Regy Rusty posted:

Yeah, if you don't like the actual gameplay of gathering ingredients and creating items then these games probably just aren't for you :(

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrneHGWwoP0

Vita means life.

And it means I'm going to be bumbling my way through another drpg in a language I barely understand. Kind of odd they'd release it on the same day as the coven sequel though.

Ossipago
Nov 14, 2012

Muldoon
I picked up one of these on ebay and am liking it, but my large, old hands don't play so nice with the grip and button placement. I can go about 20 minutes before my thumb joints start to rebel. Any suggestions on a peripheral to help?

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Ossipago posted:

I picked up one of these on ebay and am liking it, but my large, old hands don't play so nice with the grip and button placement. I can go about 20 minutes before my thumb joints start to rebel. Any suggestions on a peripheral to help?

What model of Vita?

If you have the (superior OLED) OG Vita, and can find a Nyko Power Grip for a not-absurd amount of money, that's what I use.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I just had a dream last night where a tiny crack in my Vita (that exists irl) widened and the entire OLED screen just...popped off, busted. I was so sad.

Basically what I'm saying is that maybe I am a prophet and need to make sure this thing is better protected. My handheld anime bullshit device!

Seriously though I still have a number of games to play on this and would be dismayed if it stopped working for whatever reason

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
3.70 exploit released

https://www.reddit.com/r/vitahacks/comments/bl0wh2/trinity_exploit_released/

Can downgrade with it and install permanent hacks.

Flow is apparently done with the vita so if 3.71 comes out people might be hosed if they upgrade.

Don Lapre fucked around with this message at 15:09 on May 6, 2019

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I still can't get my 3.68 unlocked. Can't get it to talk with my computer to start the first part of the process. Either it asks for an update, or just fails to connect.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
One day I may hack my Vita, but I've still got a heck of a backlog to get through so...not this day, not yet.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Any advantages to update the firmware if you've already got it cracked?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Shinjobi posted:

Any advantages to update the firmware if you've already got it cracked?

Once you are hacked you should downgrade to 3.60 and installl permanent hack.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I would downgrade to 3.65 rather than 3.60 personally, there are a bunch of plugins that were updated to work on the later firmware and then any improvements weren't back-ported to their 3.60 versions.

Tbh though it really doesn't matter if all you want is :filez:, think all the relevant plugins for that work on 3.60

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I kinda can't be bothered downgrading - launching henkaku isn't a big deal especially now that Adrenaline seems to have mostly stopped crashing the system in sleep mode.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Yeah, tbf I literally only did it so in X years when I pull it out of a drawer and decide to fire it back up I won't have to work out why nothing is working and/or remember what apps to run and what steps to take (refresh in vitashell etc) to get it working again.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

for me at least 50% of the appeal is the option of a large (and replaceable) memory stick

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Rinkles posted:

for me at least 50% of the appeal is the option of a large (and replaceable) memory stick

Absolutely fair and a good point. I've been fine enough with my 16GB and although it's not quite as much of a timebomb as the larger cards..it's something I should consider.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Rinkles posted:

Literally the only reason I'd bother

Does the Vita recognise cards larger than 64GB?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Sakurazuka posted:

Literally the only reason I'd bother

Does the Vita recognise cards larger than 64GB?

Yeah I have a 128gb microsd in there, I think people have used 256gb too but that's too rich for my blood

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

I bought a whole vita from a goon for its 64gb card, which showed signs of failure almost immediately but hell it's an excuse to track down a 3g model so I can still use the game card slot. Two vitas modoru'd since sunday, the peace of mind of not having to replace another 64gb card ever is nice, I've got an eternal backlog to work through.

Rinkles posted:

I still can't get my 3.68 unlocked. Can't get it to talk with my computer to start the first part of the process. Either it asks for an update, or just fails to connect.

You have to change your dns to one that isn't going to make it home and restart your vita.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Liver Disaster posted:

You have to change your dns server to one that isn't going to make it home and restart your vita.

Nah, that's not it. One of the first things I did.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Trade those memory cards in to gamestop while they still buy them.

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

Rinkles posted:

Nah, that's not it. One of the first things I did.

Thanks to trinity you can always go forward with updating to 3.70, they haven't patched anything yet so all you need is a demo of a psp game. After that you can roll it back to 3.60/3.65.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I bought a Vita secondhand just last week and it arrived with 3.70 and then four days later the exploit comes out :discourse:

I'm not messing with it until I finish SOTN. It looks incredible on this OLED :comeback:

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
can you use psn while on cfw? or is it best to use a burner account?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

The only bans people have reported so far have been for trophy hacking but you could be the one that gets dinged just for connecting with a modded console.

As always YMMV.

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

I hope my luck holds out, I never paid attention to 'your trophy information has been synchronized with the server' until I realized it was synching games that I may not have paid for. My next vita is going to be just for loading all the games I paid for onto a 256/512 microsd, it would be very sony to ban everyone with more than 64gb storage.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
There's some issue with memory cards?

I've got a 32GB official Sony card, and a... 256GB? (I forget) SD in the SD2Vita slot, and I haven't noticed any issues.

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

The official 64s are known to fail, and instead of just not working they start by wiping your saves, then corrupting your digital games. Mine still works for about half the games I have installed, but it just isn't worth playing when there's no rhyme or reason to the failure.
e: my 16 and 32 cards are rock solid, it's all just a pain.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Have hacked 3.60, purchased and downloaded Shiren the Wanderer last week.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Annath posted:

There's some issue with memory cards?

I've got a 32GB official Sony card, and a... 256GB? (I forget) SD in the SD2Vita slot, and I haven't noticed any issues.

Official Sony 64 GB Vita memory cards have a pretty bad failure rate from what I understand

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008
I had an official 64GB card start going by not loading saves, then digital games, then finally when trying to fix it with a reformat it completely bricked itself.
The 32GB I got as a replacement has issues doing loads for digital games (Atelier Rorona Plus has a 90% crash rate on every load screen, Totori Plus rarely even boots). Should honestly just mod it to use SD cards or whatever.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Ugh. I bought a 32 and 64 and I’m just waiting for them to fail because of you guys. I guess if they do I’ll hack.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I've not had any problems at all with my 32, most of the reported problems seem to be the 64

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
I’ve had errors with two 32s.

One seems to be doing okay now but one was permafucked.

It’s really soured me on having my Persona player going forward.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://www.reddit.com/r/vita/comments/5qcwit/lets_compare_memory_card_failure_rates/

I think this got posted here before many moons ago, all of the vita memory cards have a failure rate between 11.4% to 14.4% with the 32GB having the highest failure rate (not scientific because self-reporting, small sample rate, blah blah)

13% average is pretty insane

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

everything about the memory cards is poo poo. the one major blemish in the vita's design.

Ripley
Jan 21, 2007
My 32 failed miserably, I was just glad that PS+ auto-backup rescued my save files. Memory cards were the worst thing about the Vita.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Every night I kiss my dog and my vita memory card and tell them to live long for me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
In what order? The Vita memory card may not like dog breath.