Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

THE GREAT MANBABY SUCCESSOR

One thing that always bugged me was how little time they spent in old Valyria.

It just seemed a natural part of the story's mythos and the origins of all kinds of things, and IIRC Euron just hangs out there offscreen and Tyrion and Jorah cruise through it. For somewhere that was both a) right next door and b) something of a keystone in the story, you'd think they'd want to give it a little time to explain or understand what was going on there that sunk it and filled it with demons or w/e.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

datajugend posted:

yeah when the battle begun they where in the back on horses and later around the night king when he faced bran

Oh right, they were in the Godswood, and popped when the NK did. That's on me.

Lil Peeler posted:

One thing that always bugged me was how little time they spent in old Valyria.

It just seemed a natural part of the story's mythos and the origins of all kinds of things, and IIRC Euron just hangs out there offscreen and Tyrion and Jorah cruise through it. For somewhere that was both a) right next door and b) something of a keystone in the story, you'd think they'd want to give it a little time to explain or understand what was going on there that sunk it and filled it with demons or w/e.

Did Euron going to Old Valyria ever get mentioned in the show? I'm pretty sure they decided to drop any plotline involving it a long time ago.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Saw a headline saying the 3

3 spinoff series are gearing up well.

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

THE GREAT MANBABY SUCCESSOR

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Oh right, they were in the Godswood, and popped when the NK did. That's on me.

Yep, biggest civilization ending existential threat in the history of the world ended by a young woman throwing herself at the big bad and popping him like a balloon. :thunk:

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Bombadilillo posted:

Wow all it took to build a franchise to rival Marvel or Star Wars was to create a fantasy world where white people who were born into positions of power feud with each other while occasionally "wild easterners" and "blacks from the desert" appear to shake things up.

*insert White Liberal Cafe reaction shot*

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
I think that once they are free from all of Martin's material they will be able to really craf--- pfffttt lmao the spin offs are gonna suck poo poo

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Can't wait for these three hot spinoffs.

Game of Thrones Prequel - War of the Dragons

Game of Thrones Sequel - Return of the Dragons

Video Game Adapation - Game of Thrones: Panzer Dragon Orta

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
I'd actually like a good Game of Thrones game that isn't a mod for Crusader Kings 2 or Mount and Blade.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Glenn Quebec posted:

I'd actually like a good Game of Thrones game that isn't a mod for Crusader Kings 2 or Mount and Blade.

May I suggest Dragon Age Inquisition?

Or the Witcher?

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Ralph Crammed In posted:

Actually yes. It's the same reason the Mellisandre needed Gendry specifically for the blood magic thing- because there is power in royal blood. In the books Varys is for sure up to something - remember way back in the first season when Arya snooped on him deep in the castle? Long story short there's another branch of Targs, the Blackfyres, and there was a civil war 200 years or so before the present, and they were bannished to Essos but kept causing trouble for the next few centuries. Varys is probably a the last remaining Blackfyre. In the books at least.

That's kinda cool. I burned through the books somewhere around S03-04 and didn't really pick up on a lot of stuff like that.

But you just reminded me that Kings Landing and the Red Keep are a warren of secret passages and tunnels, and Varys is the only character who knows them all. So right now in the show he could direct a raiding party right into Cersei's chambers and kill her with zero collateral damage.

Deleted scene from this episode is Tyrion, Varys and Grey Worm swimming the x hundred miles from Dragonstone to Kings Landing after they get shipwrecked on a treeless rock. Tyrion lightens the mood by making quips about how Varys and Grey Worm are more streamlined in the water because they don't have dicks.

About 50 miles in, Tyrion suddenly remembers he can't swim and starts sinking like a stone just like the time he fell off the boat with Jorah Mormont. Varys pulls him back to the surface; Tyrion mounts Varys who assumes his merman form and leaps majestically across the waves.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Varys is Hasselhoff from the Spongebob movie.

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

Bombadilillo posted:

eh it will end up being one at most

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

I got me two olives and a couple of limes

Elevator Screamer posted:

Tyrion lightens the mood by making quips about how Varys and Grey Worm are more streamlined in the water because they don't have dicks.

Why did I have it in my head that there was uncertainty whether the unsullied had dicks or just no balls

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Just a reminder that D&D have known the ending since pre-production on season 1, Mad Queen Dany is in the books being crazy from the start, and the vision she had in the House of the Undying on the show was a King's Landing destroyed by fire with snow on the throne and her joining her one true love, Khal Drogo, in the night lands.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

slicing up eyeballs posted:

Why did I have it in my head that there was uncertainty whether the unsullied had dicks or just no balls

Because your eyes are open, Child

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay dog house
Newest leak coming through that Jon Snow WILL be wearing khaki shorts during a pivotal scene at the battle of King's Landing.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Chomp8645 posted:

Wow all it took to build a franchise to rival Marvel or Star Wars was to create a fantasy world where white people who were born into positions of power feud with each other while occasionally "wild easterners" and "blacks from the desert" appear to shake things up.

*insert White Liberal Cafe reaction shot*

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Final scene of Game of Thrones: The crown of Westeros falls from the hands of Jon Stark, now dead after killing Dany and dying of broken hear moments later.

A random serf walks by and picks the crown. He places it on his head as orchestral music plays and the scene fades to black

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Just a reminder that D&D have known the ending since pre-production on season 1, Mad Queen Dany is in the books being crazy from the start, and the vision she had in the House of the Undying on the show was a King's Landing destroyed by fire with snow on the throne and her joining her one true love, Khal Drogo, in the night lands.

Also remembered a thing they had in the first season, they had the scene where Illyrio (the guy who gives Dany her dragon eggs and sells her to Drogo) and Varys are scheming below the castle and Arya overhears them. In the end end that kind of just became a pointless scene, because they pretty much entirely cut out Illyrio's (and I assume Varys's because they seem to be partners) entire scheme from the show with young Griff/Aegon and that stuff, and I assume they've also pretty much cut out Illyrio all together.

They kept the Golden Company around but gave to Cercei because they thought the name sounded cool.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I don't want to get in trouble but there's still a possibility that the golden company could still have a Targaryen payoff.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

When Varys and Tyrion are talking, and Tyrion mentions that Jon & Dany marrying and ruling together would work, Varys is like "do you really think the north would allow an incestuous relationship to rule?"

Didn't like, a dozen generations of Starks hold the title of Warden of the North under a dozen generations of incestuous Targaryens? Why would they suddenly give a poo poo now?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I don't think the Starks were incestuous. Cat wasn't Ned's relative AFAIK.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

And my axe

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Wasabi the J posted:

I don't want to get in trouble but there's still a possibility that the golden company could still have a Targaryen payoff.

I mean, sure they could. They could just turn on Cercei, that's about what passes for clever with this show anyway.

The Varys and Illyrio plotting thing is probably not the only case of scenes that seem to be setup for future payoff not really having any payoff. When they were adapting the books they probably kept some of that stuff just because they kind of liked the scenes and then when they later cut most of the stuff those scenes were the setup for (and when they started doing their own poo poo based off the napkin notes gurm gave them) they'd probably forgotten all about having included those initial setup scenes in the first place anyway.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Remember when they brought the Children of The Forest in for one episode and then immediately decided to memory hole their existence? Good stuff

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Snow Cone Capone posted:

When Varys and Tyrion are talking, and Tyrion mentions that Jon & Dany marrying and ruling together would work, Varys is like "do you really think the north would allow an incestuous relationship to rule?"

Didn't like, a dozen generations of Starks hold the title of Warden of the North under a dozen generations of incestuous Targaryens? Why would they suddenly give a poo poo now?

I mean the Starks pretty much allowed the Boltons, who are creepy skin bandits and (possibly vampires) to rule a large part of their territory for hundreds or thousands of years. I don't think they really give much of a gently caress about anything anyone else does as long as they don't do anything directly against the Starks themselves, which the Targaryens with the whole "kidnapping" Lyanna and mad king murdering the Stark lord and his heir when they came down to ask what the gently caress was up with that whole "kidnapping" business.

Oh, they also don't like it when Ser Friendzone sells criminals as slaves so he can continue bribing his out-of-his-league wife to not leave him (I think that's his backstory for being exiled in the show as well right?).

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 00:10 on May 8, 2019

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

our boy Illyrio could come to Dragonstone with 69 more dragon eggs and with the current pacing the dragons would be full grown within five minutes

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
Ladies and Gentlemen, we got her:

https://twitter.com/DracarysD21097/status/1125669659808714752

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

When they mentioned golden company me and the wife definitely talked about how that's the one she left right? Of it's that guy hes totally in love with her, they have a "man on the inside"!

As the season goes on I am less confident the show will even remember to give us a throw away line about Daario

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

A Handed Missus posted:

our boy Illyrio could come to Dragonstone with 69 more dragon eggs and with the current pacing the dragons would be full grown within five minutes

This is a possibility. That or he's never seen again. 50/50 really.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Bombadilillo posted:

When they mentioned golden company me and the wife definitely talked about how that's the one she left right? Of it's that guy hes totally in love with her, they have a "man on the inside"!

As the season goes on I am less confident the show will even remember to give us a throw away line about Daario

Daario was a Second Sons mercenary.

Golden Company are the Iron Bank's mercenaries.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Bombadilillo posted:

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Daario was a Second Sons mercenary.

Golden Company are the Iron Bank's mercenaries.

That's in the show right? I think in the books they are more a bunch of exiles and poo poo who historically tended to fight for the cause of Targaryen bastards and pretenders, which is how they fit in with young Griff/Aegon (also there's probably a relation of either Varys or Illyrio or both to the Targaryen bastards/pretenders and why they are so interested in all this crap).

Again makes sense that they changed them to be the bank's private army in the show, because they cut out everything around them and why they do what they do (or what they are going to do if gurm ever finishes another book). They had to be given some motivation in the show because they decided to keep them around because the showrunners liked the name.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Randarkman posted:

I mean the Starks pretty much allowed the Boltons, who are creepy skin bandits and (possibly vampires) to rule a large part of their territory for hundreds or thousands of years. I don't think they really give much of a gently caress about anything anyone else does as long as they don't do anything directly against the Starks themselves, which the Targaryens with the whole "kidnapping" Lyanna and mad king murdering the Stark lord and his heir when they came down to ask what the gently caress was up with that whole "kidnapping" business.

Oh, they also don't like it when Ser Friendzone sells criminals as slaves so he can continue bribing his out-of-his-league wife to not leave him (I think that's his backstory for being exiled in the show as well right?).

That's what I'm saying, Varys of all people should know the history well enough to be like "hmm no I don't think the North will give a poo poo that the king and queen are related and would probably immediately make Sansa warden of the north, this could work"

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Maybe if they're clever they could do this and save on the CGI budget by just making it like that show Wilfred, and have Ghost just be played by a guy in a bad wolf costume who talks to Kristoffer Hivju, but everyone else reacts to it like it's a dire wolf doing dire wolf things and sounding like a dire wolf (except you always just see a guy in a wolf costume).

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Snow Cone Capone posted:

That's what I'm saying, Varys of all people should know the history well enough to be like "hmm no I don't think the North will give a poo poo that the king and queen are related and would probably immediately make Sansa warden of the north, this could work"

I'm sure the northerners would be extra salty that the king, who is a northman with Stark blood who saved the north on two occasions and restored their lands and freedom, is boning his aunt with a thicc rear end.

datajugend
Jan 15, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Randarkman posted:

Maybe if they're clever they could do this and save on the CGI budget by just making it like that show Wilfred, and have Ghost just be played by a guy in a bad wolf costume who talks to Kristoffer Hivju, but everyone else reacts to it like it's a dire wolf doing dire wolf things and sounding like a dire wolf (except you always just see a guy in a wolf costume).

this but with a corgy voiced by norm macdonald

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

So, a corgy in a bad wolf costume voiced by Norm Macdonald?

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Why doesn’t Dany just march on the iron bank as they’re the obvious power brokers in Westeros

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

datajugend
Jan 15, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
even better