Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

The Dump is an allegory for SA, right?

There’s even someone’s page who says “that place really is a dump!”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Sockser posted:

The dumpster is an early weekend web front page recreation, yes. It is crafted with love and the highest quality

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Sockser posted:

The Dumpster is 100% an early weekend web thing, with a little bit of helldump thrown in.

defaultluser
Jan 13, 2007

The person can drink sake for the following five reasons. First of all, for the national holiday. Moreover, it fills with the nectar. Finally, for reasons. Next, to heal the dryness of the place. After that, to refuse the future
Fun Shoe
Any chance for a demo?

Twenty bucks is a lot to ask for a short puzzle game, even with the amount of awards this on has. A half-hour demo, perhaps?

Crosscode's demo made me drop the full twenty bucks even before the full game was releasd, and I'll happily do the same for this. But otherwise I'm more likely to wait for a sale, as I have a long list of games I'm currently playing.

defaultluser fucked around with this message at 07:19 on May 7, 2019

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
Demos absolutely murder sales numbers for story based indie games so I'm never going to release a demo, sorry. :/ Maybe watch the first few minutes of a Let's Play? There are also nearly 400 reviews on steam: https://steamcommunity.com/app/844590/reviews/?browsefilter=toprated&snr=1_5_100010_

I'll also say it isn't really that short unless you just hardcore focus on the main puzzles. Playtime on steam reaches 20-25 hours at times, with the average being 5-10ish. How Long to Beat has it at 8 hours for the main game: https://howlongtobeat.com/game.php?id=65593

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
The Giantbomb quicklook is a nice look without being super spoilery

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

No joke, the music video above sold me a copy of this game and I didn't regret it.

I suspect the Chowder Man was all I needed.

defaultluser
Jan 13, 2007

The person can drink sake for the following five reasons. First of all, for the national holiday. Moreover, it fills with the nectar. Finally, for reasons. Next, to heal the dryness of the place. After that, to refuse the future
Fun Shoe

Gaspy Conana posted:

Demos absolutely murder sales numbers for story based indie games so I'm never going to release a demo, sorry. :/ Maybe watch the first few minutes of a Let's Play? There are also nearly 400 reviews on steam: https://steamcommunity.com/app/844590/reviews/?browsefilter=toprated&snr=1_5_100010_

Well then, how about "Try Before You Buy The Whole Game" Episodic? It worked well for Life is Strange. The second game is more detailed (and thus more expensive,) but you can still try the "demo" first episode for 8 bucks, and put that towards your final purchase.

The problem with game developers like you relying on Steam Refunds for your "free" demos is the short amount of time after purchase you have before it's permanent. This means I have to free up some time so I can do nothing else for a few days (I'm lucky if I have an hour to play every other day during the week, and I'm always playing multiple games)...so I'm a lot more likely to forget about your game than take a chance.

I've been burned by overrated Indies like Hyper Light Drifter (clunky-as-hell controls system for combat, and difficulty curve skyrockets too early to actually enjoy the story), Gone Home (what game? There is no game), and The Vanishing of Ethan Carter (the pieces of the puzzle are buried so deep you'll get bored of the landscape you have to look at long before you have time to get bored of the game) just as a few example, so no I won't just drop 20 bucks to fuel the hype machine.

defaultluser fucked around with this message at 16:11 on May 7, 2019

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

He didn't say 'buy and refund if you hate it.' He said 'watch someone else play it and see if you like it'.

I watched Giant Bomb play the first few minutes and that got me interested, and then I saw Vinny gearing up to play the whole thing, and bought it myself to play before he did, so I wouldn't see all the puzzle solutions.

If you just want a user review, the puzzles stay fairly consistent in challenge throughout. The 'tutorial' ones are quite easy to solve, as it should be, but beyond that, you need to dig around and think stuff through. You can also play it the exact opposite way, where you just spend a few hours loving around on an alterate 1999 internet and find all the solutions by accident, which can also be fun.

Cool Post Beg
Mar 6, 2008

DADDY MAGIC
I Don't Know poo poo About Game Development, but I imagine creating a stable demo build would take notable work hours & resources that they are (presumably) spending on post-launch tasks.

You're coming from a reasonable place, I would love to have a good demo of every game I pony up cash for, especially for how it feels to control the game like your Hyper Light Drifter example, but for Hypnospace Outlaw I don't believe there is much translation loss in watching someone go through the first 30 minutes or so as recommended. You should know pretty quickly on if it'll be your kind of game, I did when I watched the Giant Bomb QL.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
Yeah I mean it would be ideal if every game has a demo but it’s probably not practical.

Also HSO is really a slow burn such it would be hard to pick a spot to demo it and without spoiling it. I feel the start is kinda rather slow and would have felt ho-hum on it if my only exposure was the first several tasks. I had almost slightly regretted it but once I got to the first crash I was thoroughly ensnared and hooked big time and it shot up to being one of my favorite indie games of recent times. It’s about getting to know the people, the personalities, the backstory, the way the game expects you to social engineer through it. Definitely wouldn’t get that experience in the first hour.

And yeah it’s not that short, if you go through and absorb the world and every little book and cranny it’s quite a long game, at least somewhere in double digit hrs. If you knew all the answers to start with and railroaded through it it’d not be very long but that’s not really the intention.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you

defaultluser posted:

Well then, how about "Try Before You Buy The Whole Game" Episodic? It worked well for Life is Strange. The second game is more detailed (and thus more expensive,) but you can still try the "demo" first episode for 8 bucks, and put that towards your final purchase.

The problem with game developers like you relying on Steam Refunds for your "free" demos is the short amount of time after purchase you have before it's permanent. This means I have to free up some time so I can do nothing else for a few days (I'm lucky if I have an hour to play every other day during the week, and I'm always playing multiple games)...so I'm a lot more likely to forget about your game than take a chance.

I've been burned by overrated Indies like Hyper Light Drifter (clunky-as-hell controls system for combat, and difficulty curve skyrockets too early to actually enjoy the story), Gone Home (what game? There is no game), and The Vanishing of Ethan Carter (the pieces of the puzzle are buried so deep you'll get bored of the landscape you have to look at long before you have time to get bored of the game) just as a few example, so no I won't just drop 20 bucks to fuel the hype machine.

Sorry, but it's not worth it. I need to survive on this thing and demos, by and large, pull sales down whether a game is good or not. People feel they've had their 'taste' of lower profile titles like mine and don't proceed to purchase. It also wouldn't accurately represent the full experience just because of how HSO is structured. There are multiple points at which the central gameplay loop is messed with that we couldn't show in a demo.

If you think there's a even a small chance you won't like it from what you can gather via Let's Plays or reviews, please just don't buy it. Watch it on youtube or something. Negative reviews from people who went in poised to hate the thing are worse than refunds.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Hypnospace is a slow burn but the only things you need to have a love for to enjoy it are

1) Nostalgia or curiosity about 1999's internet and how people used to approach it
2) Puzzles that range from initially straightforward to various degrees of deductive thought and attention to detail in the endgame
3) Enough time to sit down and read, because the game is 9/10ths reading and the last 1/10th is enjoying a poo poo-ton of bespoke and often hilarious tunes

There's a poo poo-ton of fluff to read that has nothing to do with the core story but it's full of charm, wonderfully written and there's a whole lot of overlap between a cast of characters you probably never expected to see. Giantbomb's quicklook is a great video for it and I was already sold before I saw it, watching it definitely solidified the choice to buy it for me. For the price and assuming you check all the "This is my poo poo" boxes, you get a ton of content and I haven't even found it all. Over twenty hours exploring Hypnospace and I'd shell out for more DLC that adds more zones and puzzles in a heartbeat.

If you only have like four hours or so a week to play it I'd still say it's worth a look over since it's casual as hell with no timer and very little penalty for failure, but it's still more of a game than Gone Home if you want to compare it to that. There's genuine deduction to do and you need to have an appreciation for the games logic to get by.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

defaultluser posted:

I've been burned by overrated Indies

Your poo poo taste doesn't make something overrated, hth

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

defaultluser posted:

I just have so little free time in my weeks that I can't spare an hour and a half for a game I just bought.

Popoi
Jul 23, 2000

Arrrthritis posted:

I just have so little free time in my weeks that I can't spare an hour and a half for a game I just bought.
There just isn't enough time in the day!

I'd love to get some gaming in at night, but I'm too busy sleeping then. Unless...

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:
I read about this game in the Guardian, thought it sounded sweet af and now I'm finding this thread, can I run it on a lovely 6 year old laptop or do I just miss out?

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

nooooothing left for meeeeeee, it's the ultimate jone(?)

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

MyChemicalImbalance posted:

I read about this game in the Guardian, thought it sounded sweet af and now I'm finding this thread, can I run it on a lovely 6 year old laptop or do I just miss out?

What are the specs of your laptop

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

KRILLIN IN THE NAME posted:

nooooothing left for meeeeeee, it's the ultimate jone(?)

Ultimate joke or ultimate doom I think

https://genius.com/Seepage-nothing-left-for-me-lyrics is probably the closest one I've seen

Hypnodevs please release the actual lyrics to this Very Important Song :colbert:

defaultluser
Jan 13, 2007

Fun Shoe

Bobulus posted:

He didn't say 'buy and refund if you hate it.' He said 'watch someone else play it and see if you like it'.

I watched Giant Bomb play the first few minutes and that got me interested, and then I saw Vinny gearing up to play the whole thing, and bought it myself to play before he did, so I wouldn't see all the puzzle solutions.

If you just want a user review, the puzzles stay fairly consistent in challenge throughout. The 'tutorial' ones are quite easy to solve, as it should be, but beyond that, you need to dig around and think stuff through. You can also play it the exact opposite way, where you just spend a few hours loving around on an alterate 1999 internet and find all the solutions by accident, which can also be fun.

So what if I'm an old-school gamer who finds Twitch streams to be the most boring idea imaginable?

If I didn't want to experience the game hands-on , there's a YouTube channel for that. But because I know I'm picky about control sets and how responsive they are, and how exactly the various portions of the games are melded together, I know that watching someone else play would be a waste of my time.

I know it's an outdated concept, but I want to PLAY THE GAME before I drop cash, so if Steam Refund is my only option, I will probably forget about you in my huge backlog.

Or you could provide demo, I could download it RIGHT NOW, and then prioritize it as soon as I find the time. Otherwise, it could be years before I dig you up from my Wishlist.

defaultluser fucked around with this message at 01:47 on May 8, 2019

Green Wing
Oct 28, 2013

It's the only word they know, but it's such a big word for a tiny creature

defaultluser posted:

So what if I'm an old-school gamer who finds Twitch streams to be the most boring idea imaginable?

If I didn't want to experience the game hands-on , there's a YouTube channel for that. But because I know I'm picky about control sets and how responsive they are, and how exactly the various portions of the games are melded together, I know that watching someone else play would be a waste of my time.

I know it's an outdated concept, but I want to PLAY THE GAME before I drop cash, so if Steam Refund is my only option, I will probably forget about you in my huge backlog.

Or you could provide demo, I could download it RIGHT NOW, and then prioritize it as soon as I find the time. Otherwise, it could be years before I dig you up from my Whishlist.

Mate you are getting increasingly tilted and demanding a demo when you have been told there will be no demo. Chill.

defaultluser
Jan 13, 2007

Fun Shoe

Green Wing posted:

Mate you are getting increasingly tilted and demanding a demo when you have been told there will be no demo. Chill.

I've bought games that I never would have otherwise, like CrossCode or Doom 2016 both at launch price, both because they supplied a demo.

and Kathy Rain was released recently for free, and thanks to that promo I've now heard of Clifftop Games, and am likely to buy their latest game!

Welcome to the world of modern game marketing, can we sell you on that demo yet?

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
It's literally an internet simulator, so the controls are pointing and clicking. Most of the time you double click, but you can turn that off in the settings. Like the controls are you at your computer, right now, getting mad that an indie developer can't afford to make a demo just for you. The controls are what you are doing, at this moment, with a mouse and keyboard. A demo probably wasn't that needed anyway because it's the same as being on a literal computer, which you are on, right now.

Dad Jokes
May 25, 2011

my man, I would love to live in the world you appear to live in where farting out a demo is super easy to do on a whim because some dude demanded it

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

someone use the hypnospace page builder to make a page out of these demands and then cover it with the "trial expired" overlay

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

defaultluser posted:

Or you could provide demo, I could download it RIGHT NOW, and then prioritize it as soon as I find the time. Otherwise, it could be years before I dig you up from my Wishlist.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Some consumers aren't worth the revenue they aren't giving you, hth

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Copy and pasting for my Workshop hypnospace thread.

defaultluser posted:

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

buy the game on steam and refund it if you hate it, you miserable, whiny dork

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost
What the hell kind of weird FOMO is gripping you where you list all these reasons you won't buy the game and then get wound up when the developer says "ok don't buy it then"

Cool Post Beg
Mar 6, 2008

DADDY MAGIC
triple quote edit fuckup..I am logging off..

Cool Post Beg fucked around with this message at 04:25 on May 8, 2019

Cool Post Beg
Mar 6, 2008

DADDY MAGIC

beggar posted:

Oh poo poo a NetZero F2P Hypnospace Outlaw where you just get turbo hosed with CapaCoin ads and such like it's that Wyzzard episode of Aqua Teen would actually be rad

e: Hypnospace Outlaw Professor Helper Edition

Cool Post Beg
Mar 6, 2008

DADDY MAGIC

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
beggar, have you been browsing without Beef Brain Shield Pro?

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
I could pay $20 to get hypnospace outlaw and let it rest in my backlog, or you could supply me with a demo and I could let it rest in my backlog for free you loving monster.

Chatrapati
Nov 6, 2012

MyChemicalImbalance posted:

I played this game on my laptop just using the integrated graphics card and i5 processor. The pages loaded a little slowly, but I didn't really notice while I was playing because I thought it was part of the whole aesthetic. A couple parts of the game are a little more graphics-intensive and irritating, but they're brief.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

BaDandy posted:

It's literally an internet simulator, so the controls are pointing and clicking. Most of the time you double click, but you can turn that off in the settings. Like the controls are you at your computer, right now, getting mad that an indie developer can't afford to make a demo just for you. The controls are what you are doing, at this moment, with a mouse and keyboard. A demo probably wasn't that needed anyway because it's the same as being on a literal computer, which you are on, right now.

By now he's spent about as much time in an internet browser demanding a demo as he would've in a fake internet browser playing the game.

But his time is precious, you see.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Gonna make a Hypnospace page demanding a demo of the newest SquisherZ game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

King Vidiot posted:

By now he's spent about as much time in an internet browser demanding a demo as he would've in a fake internet browser playing the game.

But his time is precious, you see.

"I'm an OLD SCHOOL gamer, so watching supergreatfriend's test stream of this game would be BORING and LAME" :jerkbag: