Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
^^
Dwarves don't care about STR requirements for heavy armor. They're stuck at 25 ft movement regardless.

Smashing Link posted:

I'm thinking about rolling up a Mountain Dwarf War Wizard with the Guild with the Mercenary Veteran background, RPing him as a surly, lazy Teamster type of mercenary. Considering the War Caster feat as well as taking a 1 or 2 level dip into Fighter for armor profs, con save, and Action Surge. Thoughts?

How do you want to play this character? What do you see yourself doing after initiative is rolled?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Conspiratiorist posted:

It's basically the Beast Master's issue, where the best way to have a pet is to just ask DM for one whilst playing literally any other class.
Yeah a rogue scout with a custom bag of tricks and no cr 0 creature should cover all your players' Ranger needs.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Smashing Link posted:

I'm thinking about rolling up a Mountain Dwarf War Wizard with the Guild with the Mercenary Veteran background, RPing him as a surly, lazy Teamster type of mercenary. Considering the War Caster feat as well as taking a 1 or 2 level dip into Fighter for armor profs, con save, and Action Surge. Thoughts?
GM: Roll for initiative!
Dwarf: Whoa whoa whoa, rolling initiative is not in my contract buddy. You need to call a dice roller in for that, local 74 of the United International Game Workers.

That actually sounds like a really fun character to play.

lightrook
Nov 7, 2016

Pin 188

Smashing Link posted:

I guess the question is, what do you want your character to accomplish? Because I'm assuming you want heavy armor proficiency and War Caster to crack heads in close quarters with your hands full of weapon and shield. If you're starting in Fighter for the armor proficiency, maybe go for Cleric instead? Without a racial bonus, you're not hitting 16 INT at level 1 anyways, and with Mountain Dwarf racials you have pointbuy to spare to cover all the necessities, i.e. STR, CON, INT, and WIS to qualify for multiclass. A dip into cleric still sets you back one level of spell acquisition, but at least you're not missing out on spell slot progression, and one level is good for picking up some cantrips and utility spells besides. I haven't really thought a lot about a heavy-armored close-quarters wizard before, but I'm sure there's enough tools there to make it work out alright.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Smashing Link posted:

I like the idea. You can also go with the hilarity of giving him a low to average int and get creative with spells that either don't require saves or don't require to hit rolls. He'd be a great buffer as a dwarf, if you start as fighter to get proficient con saves and throw a ton of stats into con, it'd be hard to knock you out of concentration.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Josef bugman posted:

Fair.

Hmmm, just trying to work out who would work best for subclass.

Okay so Rogues.

Arcane Tricksters are good if you want some magic, spells probably make them the stealthiest. Melee Cantrips can really amp up the damage of their single attack a round. Also Shadow Blade. All in all Arcane Tricksters are probably the strongest Rogue archetype, because spells. Because that is the kind of game this is.

Assassin is bad. Super really bad like crazy. It requires a lot of help from the DM and Party to ever use. That said they can put out some good damage on the very very very rare occasion where they manage to succeed on getting Surprise.

Inquisitor is mostly bad, it is ever so slightly better at Perception and Investigation, and can Sneak Attack against a single creature in certain situations while others can't, and at a higher level gets a little more damage against that same one target. But again mostly not all that good, it provides very little beyond just being an archetype-less Rogue.

Mastermind is mostly meh, but better than the last two. Useful if you want more languages, though Backgrounds can get you some as well. That said it is better at using the Help action than most Rogues, and later on can basically mind blank themselves.

Scout is good if you want more skills and expertises, if you want a non spellcasting ranger like class, and if you want some mobility. Gets 2 extra skills/expertise, faster movement, climb and swim speeds, advantage on initiative, advantage on everyone's attacks rolls against the first thing you hit in the first round, and eventually even an extra attack that can apply sneak attack if against a different target. It is just a nice well rounded archetype, probably the 2nd or 3rd best Rogue archetype.

Swashbuckler is often considered one of the better Rogue archetypes. They can get sneak attack against targets others can't, can move away from enemies they attacked, some good stuff with Diplomacy and can be good at Athletics and Acrobatics if they have the bonus action to use before making the check. Again probably the 2nd or 3rd best Rogue archetype.

Thief. ... Uh. It is not Assassin? Technically you might be able to do some good stuff with the bonus action Use an Item, but for the most part that is worthless except for using Healing Kits. Most of the other abilities are pretty blah to bad. They are good at using Stealth if not moving more than half their movement in a turn. Also at high levels they can get 2 turns in the first round of combat if not surprised, which is nice, but probably not as good as a second attack every round.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Ryuujin posted:

Okay so Rogues.

Arcane Tricksters are good if you want some magic, spells probably make them the stealthiest. Melee Cantrips can really amp up the damage of their single attack a round. Also Shadow Blade. All in all Arcane Tricksters are probably the strongest Rogue archetype, because spells. Because that is the kind of game this is.

Assassin is bad. Super really bad like crazy. It requires a lot of help from the DM and Party to ever use. That said they can put out some good damage on the very very very rare occasion where they manage to succeed on getting Surprise.

Inquisitor is mostly bad, it is ever so slightly better at Perception and Investigation, and can Sneak Attack against a single creature in certain situations while others can't, and at a higher level gets a little more damage against that same one target. But again mostly not all that good, it provides very little beyond just being an archetype-less Rogue.

Mastermind is mostly meh, but better than the last two. Useful if you want more languages, though Backgrounds can get you some as well. That said it is better at using the Help action than most Rogues, and later on can basically mind blank themselves.

Scout is good if you want more skills and expertises, if you want a non spellcasting ranger like class, and if you want some mobility. Gets 2 extra skills/expertise, faster movement, climb and swim speeds, advantage on initiative, advantage on everyone's attacks rolls against the first thing you hit in the first round, and eventually even an extra attack that can apply sneak attack if against a different target. It is just a nice well rounded archetype, probably the 2nd or 3rd best Rogue archetype.

Swashbuckler is often considered one of the better Rogue archetypes. They can get sneak attack against targets others can't, can move away from enemies they attacked, some good stuff with Diplomacy and can be good at Athletics and Acrobatics if they have the bonus action to use before making the check. Again probably the 2nd or 3rd best Rogue archetype.

Thief. ... Uh. It is not Assassin? Technically you might be able to do some good stuff with the bonus action Use an Item, but for the most part that is worthless except for using Healing Kits. Most of the other abilities are pretty blah to bad. They are good at using Stealth if not moving more than half their movement in a turn. Also at high levels they can get 2 turns in the first round of combat if not surprised, which is nice, but probably not as good as a second attack every round.

Hmm, I was thinking of rolling a dex, archery-focused Battle Master fighter (with sharpshooter) and dipping rogue, should I stay away from going Assassin then? I was thinking of picking up like 3 levels so I could gain advantage on things in the first round and knock them around to where I want them with maneuvers or the extra damage from sharpshooter.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Well you only get the Advantage against creatures who haven't gone yet, so if anything rolls higher on Initiative you aren't getting Advantage on them.

If you are focusing on Battlemaster Fighter, what are you dipping Rogue for? Just a few dice of Sneak Attack?

Assassin can get you Advantage against someone who hasn't gone yet, and if you actually manage to Surprise you can get a Crit. If that is all you want then fine, but well hopefully you manage to go first all the time.

Most Rogue archetypes are probably not going to be of much help for just 3 levels, and any less than that and you don't even get the Archetype.

Swashbuckler is less useful for Ranged characters, though it can still get the +Cha to Initiative.

Scout still gets you Nature and Survival as trained and expertised skills and if an enemy ends their turn within 5ft of you you can spend a Reaction to move half your speed without provoking attacks of opportunity.

Arcane Trickster could still be useful, but no scaling really except on the Cantrips which are less useful for a Ranged class or someone with Extra Attack.

Inquisitive 3 is meh and probably not of much use to your build.

Mastermind 3 can maybe be good for the bonus action Help action, if you aren't using your Bonus Action for anything else.

Thief 3 is not really all that good.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Ryuujin posted:

Well you only get the Advantage against creatures who haven't gone yet, so if anything rolls higher on Initiative you aren't getting Advantage on them.

If you are focusing on Battlemaster Fighter, what are you dipping Rogue for? Just a few dice of Sneak Attack?

Assassin can get you Advantage against someone who hasn't gone yet, and if you actually manage to Surprise you can get a Crit. If that is all you want then fine, but well hopefully you manage to go first all the time.

Most Rogue archetypes are probably not going to be of much help for just 3 levels, and any less than that and you don't even get the Archetype.

Swashbuckler is less useful for Ranged characters, though it can still get the +Cha to Initiative.

Scout still gets you Nature and Survival as trained and expertised skills and if an enemy ends their turn within 5ft of you you can spend a Reaction to move half your speed without provoking attacks of opportunity.

Arcane Trickster could still be useful, but no scaling really except on the Cantrips which are less useful for a Ranged class or someone with Extra Attack.

Inquisitive 3 is meh and probably not of much use to your build.

Mastermind 3 can maybe be good for the bonus action Help action, if you aren't using your Bonus Action for anything else.

Thief 3 is not really all that good.

Yeah, I checked out Gloom Stalker rogue and it seems way more versatile. This would be for a level 8 character, so I was going to split it 5/3 to get the double attack.

Edit: Although, rogues also get expertise bonuses and Cunning Action bonus moves, so that's appealing as well.

change my name fucked around with this message at 03:13 on May 8, 2019

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition
I would love class breakdowns like the above rogue one. I’m still relatively new to the game and just don’t have the knowledge stuff like others here. I mostly am still on “does this look cool/fun/thematic yes/no?”

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
Honestly there's absolutely no reason that an Assassin shouldn't be getting to use their Assassinate ability at least once per combat. Even if you aren't able to trigger a surprise round, you just need to attack an enemy lower on the initiative chart. Between stealth and different forms of haste spells, it's not difficult to set up a situation where you'll get to use it two or three times per combat. If a DM is pushing back on that core subclass ability, then just pick a different subclass because it's fundamental to it.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Assassinate is so garbage RAW I don't even understand how anyone who understands how surprise and rules works would consider it good content.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Kaal posted:

Honestly there's absolutely no reason that an Assassin shouldn't be getting to use their Assassinate ability at least once per combat. Even if you aren't able to trigger a surprise round, you just need to attack an enemy lower on the initiative chart. Between stealth and different forms of haste spells, it's not difficult to set up a situation where you'll get to use it two or three times per combat. If a DM is pushing back on that core subclass ability, then just pick a different subclass because it's fundamental to it.
what

How do you get to use Assassinate "against a target who hasn't acted/taken a turn yet in the combat" multiple times per combat?

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

doctor 7 posted:

Assassinate is so garbage RAW I don't even understand how anyone who understands how surprise and rules works would consider it good content.

The problem is a lot of people don't understand how Surprise works, and a lot of people think Surprise Rounds are still a thing.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Nash posted:

I would love class breakdowns like the above rogue one. I’m still relatively new to the game and just don’t have the knowledge stuff like others here. I mostly am still on “does this look cool/fun/thematic yes/no?”

I was about to write one, then remembered I did one like a couple weeks ago.

Conspiratiorist posted:

Guess I can make a quick one.

Barbarian:
Melee-exclusive class. It possesses high HP and Damage Resistance, but its attack/damage bonuses rely on leaving itself vulnerable to attack, negating the 'tough guy' benefits and making it, all-in-all, a worse Fighter that operates on restrictive Long Rest mechanics. However, very front-loaded, so other melee classes take time to catch up.
- Archetypes -
Totem Warrior: probably the best archetype, as Bear Totem confers resistance to all damage types (except Psychic), while Wolf Totem grants advantage to melee allies. Both are very good abilities. Also grants a small dose of spellcasting.
Zealot: extra damage and save rerolls. The "free Revivify" ability is cute. The level 14th ability is frankly amazing, but games rarely reach those levels.
Ancestral Guardian: "defender" mechanics. Actually fairly competent in the right party composition.
The rest: all garbage. Berserker is uniquely bad.

Bard:
Full caster with a versatile spell list that includes buff, debuffs, utility, and healing, and filled to the brim with other abilities on top of that. Damage is pretty poor until the late (10th) levels, however, but it's exceptional at everything else. Literally steals exclusive spells from other classes.
- Archetypes -
Lore: Bard+, the best archetype. Cutting Words is an excellent additional function for Bardic Inspiration, also gets more skills, and an additional set of Magical Secrets.
Valor: Terribly designed - the Bard spell list is uniquely bad at supporting one's own martial prowess, so attempting to partake in it is just a recipe for bad experiences. However, grants medium armor and shield proficiency, taking care of the Bard's low AC problem without class dipping or using a feat. That's all it's good for, but it's not a bad thing to take if you have trouble with getting attacked.
Swords: Better at melee combat than Valor, but the same thoughts above apply. Only useful as multi-class fodder.
The rest: they're okay, but worse than Lore. Whisper's Psychic Blades is extremely meh and shouldn't be used.

Cleric:
Full caster, off-tank, face wrecker. Healing, utility, buffs, lots of damage, some nice Domain abilities and borrowed spells. 2nd best Caster overall, but unlike most casters which get exponentially better past 10th level, Cleric actually peaks there.
- Domains -
Life: Cleric+, making it one of the best domains. Heavy Armor is good, their Channel Divinity is good, their Domain list takes most of the Cleric staples so they can diversify their prepared spells, and there's a couple fun things that can be done with Disciple of Life, but overall the archetype just works exactly as a Cleric should without any weirdness.
Tempest: best blaster cleric. Also the best melee cleric. Pretty fun mechanics overall, but going in-depth on it would take too much time.
Arcana: pretty alright. Magic Missile is a good damage source (though Clerics can't spam it as much as Wizards and Sorcerers), but the rest of the domain list is underwhelming. Wizard Cantrips + Potent Spellcasting however, make this one of the best melee Clerics. Also, if the game gets late enough, their 17th level ability is basically Magical Secrets+.
The rest: they all lean into different things, and are overall okay except Trickery, however the base Cleric chassis is strong on its own so Domains don't really impact performance much.

Druid:
Cleric but worse. Tries to justify its existence by having the ability to turn into animals.
- Archetypes -
Dreams: built-in Healing Word is always a good thing. That's all it has.
Land: more spells! And arcane recovery like a wizard! It's okay, if the right circles are taken.
Moon: if you want to outshine unoptimized melee martials, this is the archetype for you.
Shepherd: technically good, but summoning is cancer and should seldom if ever be used.
Spores: this is such a hodgepodge of various weak abilities I can't even

Fighter:
*The* martial class. Very good at dealing HP damage, and reasonably survivable, but little else.
- Archetypes -
Battle Master: the reliable offensive archetype, melee or ranged, it doesn't care - gets the job done. The various maneuvers might seem cool, but 95% of the time you're better off turning misses into hits with Precision.
Eldritch Knight: take Fighter and add a little spellcasting, giving it dramatically more agency as a result. The main spells to look at here are Shield, Absorb Elements, and potentially Shadow Blade, which gets rather obscene at level 11.
Cavalier: "defender" mechanics. They're decent. Much more fun to play than Ancestral Guardian by virtue of having buttons to press plus more feats available to gently caress around with.
The rest: Champion and Purple Dragon Knight are garbage. Arcane Archer and Samurai are okay but... Battle Master is better, really.

Monk:
Some weird martial thing that is all over the place, both figuratively and literally. Stunning Strike is pretty good. Moves really fast. Damage is okay early but falls off quickly. Very equipment restricted, and Short Rest reliant.
- Archetypes -
Shadow: has spellcasting, so that's really good. Shadow Teleport is neat.
Long Death: lmao that level 11 ability christ
Kensei: slightly better damage and/or AC. Gets the chance to use those magic weapons you find that the party would throw away or sell because they don't fit their builds.
The rest: Drunken Master is pointless (just play Open Hand instead) and 4 Elements is utter poo poo. The rest are okay.

Paladin:
Melee-exclusive, half-caster, all-awesome. One of the best classes in the game. Strong damage dealing, very resilient, rich in mechanics both passive and active.
- Archetypes -
Vengeance: excellent spell list (HASTE!), a strong Channel Divinity option, and the rest shine in the right setup (ie PAM/Sentinel).
Ancients: decent spell list, poor Channel Divinity options, but the rest of its abilities are great.
The rest: I'll just cut it short and say everything is good except Crown.

Ranger:
Martial class filled with ribbon abilities. Half-caster, but only really has 3~4 good spells (not that it can take many anyway). Overall functional, but practically stops scaling after level 8.
- Archetypes -
Hunter: it's okay, it works.
Gloom Stalker: now this, you can do tons of fun poo poo with this. A 'power-creeped' archetype; an attempt to band-aid ranger without actually releasing Revised.
Horizon Walker: like above, but it's mechanics are all over the place and a little wonky. The spell list is really nice, at least.
Monster Slayer: play Gloom Stalker or Horizon Walker instead
Beast Master: lol just ask the DM for a pet

Rouge:
Hybrid DPR and mundane utility class. Everyone plays it melee, but it actually works best at range, and in the right party comp (Haste!) it can be an exceptional damage dealer. However, a ranged Rogue is also extremely boring to play. Honestly, this is just not a very good class, because declarative narrative power is good, but being good at skill checks is the poorest attempt at it.
- Archetypes -
Arcane Trickster: the best by virtue of having spellcasting. Find Familiar.
Swashbuckler: fixes some of the issues of trying to use a Rogue in melee, but still involves the issues of using a Rogue in melee.
The rest: they're all bad, but Assassin is uniquely terrible in ways that require their own effort post to explain.

Sorcerer:
The combat support caster. Much maligned for being a bad full caster, since its known spells are so restricted, but their unique abilities make for mechanically interesting play. It's really all about Twinned Spell plus your choice between Subtle, Quickened, and Empowered.
- Archetypes -
Draconic: Sorcerer+. Makes you tougher, pick Fire and it makes your staple Fire Bolt and Fireball do more damage. Automatic flight at 14th.
Divine Soul: access to the Cleric spell list, but remains severely restricted by low number of spells known. Still, the Cleric list has a number of very good damage/support options.
Shadow: Darkness gimmick vs enemies without blindsight.
The rest: Storm is bad and Wild is literally worse than having no archetype.

Warlock:
This has been much discussed and requires its own effort post to explain in detail, but Warlock is an uniquely badly designed class in a system that's filled with bad design decisions. It can be quite strong, and competently fill in niches in the party composition in ways no other single character can, but if you don't know going in that this is basically a martial class that shoots magic instead of arrows, then you're in for a rough experience.
- Pacts -
Tome: it's the best, really. Extra cantrips, access to ritual magic with an invocation.
Chain: Imps are cool (pact imps do not give you magic resistance!), but you get 90% of the functionality here from Tome+Rituals.
Blade: trap option.
- Patrons -
Hexblade: power creep~ In an attempt to make bladelocks functional, ended up creating a buffed-up archetype that makes for even better multiclass fodder than Warlock already was before, and that works just as well with Eldritch Blasting. In fact, it's better off Eldritch Blasting than doing melee.
Celestial: built-in Healing Word is always a good thing. That's all it has.
Fiend: it's alright. AoE blasting and other good combat options.
The rest: they're all okay, but Hexblade is just so strong.

Wizard:
The overall third best caster? Exponential power growth, subject to available money/spell scrolls. Bards are pretty up there, but high level Wizards are straight up busted.
- Schools -
Good: Abjuration, Divination, Evocation, War Magic
Technically good but please don't: Necromancy
Okay: Transmutation
Bad: Conjuration, Illusion
Bladesinging: want your Wizard to be a monstrous AC tank without any multiclassing required? And thanks to Shadow Blade, this is actually a very competent martial character, while retaining the full spectrum of Wizard utility/casting.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Infinite Karma posted:

what

How do you get to use Assassinate "against a target who hasn't acted/taken a turn yet in the combat" multiple times per combat?

Yeah it only triggers in the first round, but if you're attacking multiple times + action surge you could conceivably nail a bunch of people with advantage

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I still don't like the "surprise rounds don't exist" thing repeated here - there is at most one round in each combat where anything could be surprised. Yes, maybe it's less confusing wrt old editions' surprise rounds if we puzzle out a name for it that isn't "surprise round", but come on.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

"Surprise rounds" don't exist.

The *surprised* condition kinda sorta exists but also not really.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

change my name posted:

Yeah it only triggers in the first round, but if you're attacking multiple times + action surge you could conceivably nail a bunch of people with advantage

Who cares, if you aren't getting multiple free crits on your sneak attack dice (which only triggers once per round regardless)?

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Infinite Karma posted:

Who cares, if you aren't getting multiple free crits on your sneak attack dice (which only triggers once per round regardless)?

You could feasibly use sharpshooter's "add +10 damage, take a -5 hit penalty" for each attack, but I'm not definitely not defending it, especially since I've never played a rogue

Circutron
Apr 29, 2006
We are confident that the Islamic logic, culture, and discourse can prove their superiority in all fields over all schools of thought and theories.

Conspiratiorist posted:

I honestly feel like this should be put in the first post of this thread or something. It's a super good write-up and it was really helpful putting together a character for a campaign I started playing in a while back.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer

Conspiratiorist posted:

^^
How do you want to play this character? What do you see yourself doing after initiative is rolled?

Not going for optimization at all. The backstory is a family of dwarves who are all for-hire mercenaries but do the absolute minimum when hired, constantly trying to wheedle for more gold. The PC has the rare trait of a knack for magic but views it more as a meal ticket and identifies as being still "one of the guys". Gets separated from his family at some point of course - haven't worked that part out yet. In combat he is quick to put up defenses for himself, then only secondarily considers what may benefit the party.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Smashing Link posted:

Not going for optimization at all. The backstory is a family of dwarves who are all for-hire mercenaries but do the absolute minimum when hired, constantly trying to wheedle for more gold. The PC has the rare trait of a knack for magic but views it more as a meal ticket and identifies as being still "one of the guys". Gets separated from his family at some point of course - haven't worked that part out yet. In combat he is quick to put up defenses for himself, then only secondarily considers what may benefit the party.

Just play a Sorcerer.

ED: also I've played alongside this character gimmick a few times and it's incredibly infuriating rather than fun.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Conspiratiorist posted:

Just play a Sorcerer.

ED: also I've played alongside this character gimmick a few times and it's incredibly infuriating rather than fun.

Geez those are just his flaws man, give him some room to grow, he's only level 1! He loves children and small animals.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Whenever you're making a character, always ask yourself this: "why would other people team up with me, going on perilous journeys and encountering life-threatening situations where trust and stalwartness is of the essence, and divvying up an equal share of the spoils, other than because I'm a player character?"

This has been a public service announcement sponsored by the Something Awful forums.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

It sounds like you're jumping headfirst into the "I don't want to go on the adventure" train, coupled with "hostile to the other party members" train.

It's not a good dynamic. If you don't have character traits that make the other characters like him, nobody is going to goad him into coming along grumpily anyway, they'll just leave without him. Or they'll want to, and won't because you're one of the PCs.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I'm most attached to the laziness as a character flaw, open to being a nice guy who looks out for others. Just don't want to play a prince valiant type.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Maybe go for "loudly complains and tries to talk his way out of work, but his actions don't match his words and he's a solid dude who doesn't hesitate to do his part."

Especially make him competent and useful. Only make him disruptive when it doesn't matter (like it's his turn to do the dishes).

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents
The surprise rules are written so terribly that the only way to make them workable is by re-adding surprise rounds.

Imagine this situation:

Rogue and three Fighters in plate are sitting in a bush on the side of the road. They are completely obscured as long as they stay there. A pack of goblins walk down the road, totally oblivious. They're 30 feet from the heroes but cannot see, hear or smell them as long as our heroes don't move.

The Rogue shoots a goblin with a bow. Possibly the Rogue needs to stealth-check for drawing and aiming without being seen, but let's say this rogue is stealthy and pulls it off. Clearly, the goblin in question is surprised.

So is every other goblin in the group at the time of the Rogue's shot, as no goblins have recognized an enemy.

RAW, everyone rolls initiative and has a turn in the same turn of combat as the Rogue's shot (because the Rogue's shot does not happen in the surprise round, because there is no surprise round). The goblins are surprised and as such have the surprised state in the first turn. The fighters, however, are not surprised, so they can run in and smack a goblin each on the first turn of combat, essentially piggy-backing off the Rogue's stealth and surprise attack, even though they are not stealthy themselves.

Clearly, the reasonable outcome of the above situation is that the Rogue attacks first, and then everyone rolls initiative and a new round starts, which includes a new turn for the Rogue. The Rogue attacking from hidden before any Fighters reveal themselves confers the surprised state on the goblins for their first turn. Because there is no surprise round, this is the same first turn in which the Fighters can charge out and smash the goblins. RAW, the Rogue essentially stuns the entire goblin pack for the first round of combat by attacking from a hidden position.

When I DM, I re-add the missing surprise round so the above situation runs like so:

R0: Assuming Rogue is sufficiently stealthy/hidden, Rogue attacks without initiative. Fighters stay hidden because otherwise they break surprise and start R1 immediately. Goblins are surprised and do not act.
R1: Everyone rolls initiative and acts as normal.

The problem with the surprise rules is the combination of the surprise state being a 1 turn stun and there being no pre-round-1 surprise round, which means that a succesful stealth attack effectively stuns every enemy for a turn.

Not just the goblin attacked is surprised, every goblin is in the above scenario:

quote:

Any character or monster that doesn't notice a threat is surprised at the start of the encounter.

Obviously, this crazy advantage for the Rogue's party only works if the party can setup a situation where the fighters are hidden by terrain (because they lack the ability to succesfully hide otherwise). But that's easy enough to do in many dungeons where they just hang back one corner, close enough to still gapclose and attack on one turn to gain the ridiculous advantage RAW confers on a surprise-attacking Rogue.

TL;DR: Surprise rounds are necessary.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Conspiratiorist posted:

Hey now, you forgot to mention the fact that Moon Druids are monstrously impossibly overpowered and functionally immortal at level 20...

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

The Mash posted:

The surprise rules are written so terribly that the only way to make them workable is by re-adding surprise rounds.

Imagine this situation:

Rogue and three Fighters in plate are sitting in a bush on the side of the road. They are completely obscured as long as they stay there. A pack of goblins walk down the road, totally oblivious. They're 30 feet from the heroes but cannot see, hear or smell them as long as our heroes don't move.

The Rogue shoots a goblin with a bow. Possibly the Rogue needs to stealth-check for drawing and aiming without being seen, but let's say this rogue is stealthy and pulls it off. Clearly, the goblin in question is surprised.

So is every other goblin in the group at the time of the Rogue's shot, as no goblins have recognized an enemy.

RAW, everyone rolls initiative and has a turn in the same turn of combat as the Rogue's shot (because the Rogue's shot does not happen in the surprise round, because there is no surprise round). The goblins are surprised and as such have the surprised state in the first turn. The fighters, however, are not surprised, so they can run in and smack a goblin each on the first turn of combat, essentially piggy-backing off the Rogue's stealth and surprise attack, even though they are not stealthy themselves.

Clearly, the reasonable outcome of the above situation is that the Rogue attacks first, and then everyone rolls initiative and a new round starts, which includes a new turn for the Rogue. The Rogue attacking from hidden before any Fighters reveal themselves confers the surprised state on the goblins for their first turn. Because there is no surprise round, this is the same first turn in which the Fighters can charge out and smash the goblins. RAW, the Rogue essentially stuns the entire goblin pack for the first round of combat by attacking from a hidden position.

When I DM, I re-add the missing surprise round so the above situation runs like so:

R0: Assuming Rogue is sufficiently stealthy/hidden, Rogue attacks without initiative. Fighters stay hidden because otherwise they break surprise and start R1 immediately. Goblins are surprised and do not act.

The problem with the surprise rules is the combination of the surprise state being a 1 turn stun and there being no pre-round-1 surprise round, which means that a succesful stealth attack effectively stuns every enemy for a turn.

Not just the goblin attacked is surprised, every goblin is in the above scenario:

Obviously, this crazy advantage for the Rogue's party only works if the party can setup a situation where the fighters are hidden by terrain (because they lack the ability to succesfully hide otherwise). But that's easy enough to do in many dungeons where they just hang back one corner, close enough to still gapclose and attack on one turn to gain the ridiculous advantage RAW confers on a surprise-attacking Rogue.

I can't figure out if it's just that you can't imagine an ambush, or if you're objecting to the entire concept of ambush.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 08:11 on May 8, 2019

Karatela
Sep 11, 2001

Clickzorz!!!

Grimey Drawer

The Mash posted:

Imagine this situation:

I... am I missing something here? Is the issue here to you that it isn't "fair" for the PCs to surprise ALL goblins when they attack merely ONE goblin here from ambush?

I will more than freely state that the stealth rules are garbage Mearls shat out on a napkin on the way to work, but going "Alright so the ambush works and you ambush them" doesn't sound ridiculous or crazy to me here. Like, would you prefer that the Fighters all also roll Stealth too to get any benefits, or, to not give away their positions? Good luck since odds are at least one Fighter fails and welp either they get nothing for a decent plan, or there goes the ambush, with zero goblins surprised.

Like, ok, its one round of advantage on the first round of attacks. Your "re-addition" just basically says "Ok one of you gets a benefit from this plan, the rest of you sit on your hands till we're done" which is uh, weak as hell to do as a DM. I am sure there is a game where an ambush like the game suggests would be overpowered if you constantly managed to pull if off, but uh, that game sure as hell ain't 5e, with its poo poo as loose as it is already.

or

TL;DR: This game is a shitshow in surprise as it is, but adding in a surprise round where almost no one can do anything is pointless unless the goal is to reign in planning or creative stuff, while wasting time.

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition

Conspiratiorist posted:

I will sing your praises from the highest mountaintop.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Conjuration owns though.

Minor Conjuration is bare minimum fun for RP but often has practical uses.
Benign Transposition is bare minimum a good option to protect yourself but combos really well with Misty Step for shenanigans.
Not breaking concentration on conjurations is huge for a control wizard.

None of it has the raw power of Portent, but that's basically every wizard school.

Nehru the Damaja fucked around with this message at 15:19 on May 8, 2019

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
I feel like oversimplifying the weapons to just being flavor added to inherent class numbers would be bad, but then I used to play Shadowrun, with all its inherent gear porn. That being said, there should probably be more options for different types of damage. Like, why the hell is there a Halberd and a Glaive when they're mechanically identical, and they're basically the same thing anyway?
And then there's weird things like saying "a katana is just a longsword by another name," but then then a scimitar is listed and it's just a more expensive, heavier shortsword?

If they want to dip into persnickety polearm specificity, then make a base option be a bec de corbin, or a lucerne hammer, so there'd be a blunt polearm.

Did they even factor physical damage types into their weapon decisions?
While we're at it, what's the "best" physical damage type?

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

I feel like oversimplifying the weapons to just being flavor added to inherent class numbers would be bad, but then I used to play Shadowrun, with all its inherent gear porn. That being said, there should probably be more options for different types of damage. Like, why the hell is there a Halberd and a Glaive when they're mechanically identical, and they're basically the same thing anyway?
And then there's weird things like saying "a katana is just a longsword by another name," but then then a scimitar is listed and it's just a more expensive, heavier shortsword?

If they want to dip into persnickety polearm specificity, then make a base option be a bec de corbin, or a lucerne hammer, so there'd be a blunt polearm.

Did they even factor physical damage types into their weapon decisions?
While we're at it, what's the "best" physical damage type?

Exclusively carry a dagger, javelin, shortsword, spear, or trident in case you ever get into underwater combat.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Infinite Karma posted:

Maybe go for "loudly complains and tries to talk his way out of work, but his actions don't match his words and he's a solid dude who doesn't hesitate to do his part."

Especially make him competent and useful. Only make him disruptive when it doesn't matter (like it's his turn to do the dishes).

Even more fun: make him loudly complain and try to talk his way out of things because he knows he can't help himself, and he knows everyone knows he can't help himself, and when those things happen, he's going to be in the thick of things no matter how much he disagreed with them happening, and gently caress, guys, Mage Armor only goes so far, do you see what I'm wearing?

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents

Karatela posted:

I... am I missing something here? Is the issue here to you that it isn't "fair" for the PCs to surprise ALL goblins when they attack merely ONE goblin here from ambush?

Elector_Nerdlingen posted:

I can't figure out if it's just that you can't imagine an ambush, or if you're objecting to the entire concept of ambush.

My problem is that RAW allows full plate fighters to ambush and get a free turn (in melee range, if they can run far enough) without succeeding stealth checks as long as their Rogue succeeds his/her own stealth check before attacking

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

The Mash posted:

My problem is that RAW allows full plate fighters to ambush and get a free turn (in melee range, if they can run far enough) without succeeding stealth checks as long as their Rogue succeeds his/her own stealth check before attacking

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

I’d love to see a full on fix to 5e, but then I’m curious if that’s just modern pathfinder.