Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Ritznit posted:

I would financially contribute to a goon server if it's kept clear of chuds, bigots and all those "fun" white supremacists. I will give extra if the server hosting tools give us some means of punishing/humiliating the assholes before we ban them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008

Lmao you posted this in response to a guy saying he wanted to play with no racists holy gently caress

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

TorakFade posted:

Question time - how have you all set up your sensitivity and mouse DPI ? I currently have in-game sensitivity set as 0.5 on both X and Y axis, and am trying 1500/1000/600 DPI (my mouse can switch on the fly between 5 different DPI settings that I can fully customize)

In all three modes, it seems I always jerk my mouse too fast when under pressure (adrenalin makes my hands shake, drat nerves) and I miss easy stabs/overheads and even parries because of this, but I'm kinda scared of dropping sensitivity or DPI even more because I won't be able to quickly do a 360° to face an enemy flanking me or drag/accel my strikes... :saddowns:

(this is on a 1440p 32" monitor if that changes things, very low DPI like 500 in windows means it takes FOREVER to move the cursor from one side of the screen to the other, but in terms of Mordhau's viewpoint it still seems pretty quick)

Sensitivity and mouse DPI are all made up numbers that mean different things for every different person's computer setup.
To get a portable number to compare to other people, you want something like "inches per 360": look down at your mousepad and measure how many inches you have to move the mouse to do a 360 degree turn in game.
That said it's still heavily based in personal preference and different people use wildly different settings.

Babe Magnet posted:

yeah whenever you see a shield, your priority should be to wear their stamina out and stay out of their small reach

I have literally never done this. 80% of my kills against shield users are just from delaying until a teammate shows up and one of us stabs them in the butt. The other 20% are from dudes who stick too close and let me feint into kick and then stab them in the head.

Ristolaz posted:

IS there somewhere that actually shows how to play the lute? I.E. what keys produce what notes/chords

You get a separate note for each of the attack directions (overhead, underhand, side swing stab, all either left or right), plus kick (F) and block (right click).
There's also a program developed by an alpha player called Lute Bot that can automatically play songs from midi files, but I haven't used it myself.

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 23:22 on May 7, 2019

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

To compare effective sensitivity you can just do in-game sensitivity * DPI, although you also need to normalize for FOV and resolution. Wierdly, the sensitivity in the UI and the sensitivity you set in the game's config are different values. Arm vs wrist players are also gonna have a lot different classes of comfortable sensitivities.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Comrayn posted:

Lmao you posted this in response to a guy saying he wanted to play with no racists holy gently caress

You intentionally skipped the part where he wanted to divide the community by banning all 'chuds' which is some lame rear end 80s movie no one ever saw that twitter people use to describe the 50,000,000 Americans who voted for the president

I believe all people can get along as equals and have fun in Mordhau, and I hope you stop baiting political and racial identity bullshit in the game about swinging huge swords

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

extra stout posted:

You intentionally skipped the part where he wanted to divide the community by banning all 'chuds' which is some lame rear end 80s movie no one ever saw that twitter people use to describe the 50,000,000 Americans who voted for the president

I believe all people can get along as equals and have fun in Mordhau, and I hope you stop baiting political and racial identity bullshit in the game about swinging huge swords

okay so you're not welcome in the goon server, got it

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

hey dummies quit arguing about racists in the thread thanks

I'm not in a position to host or buy a server right now but if someone does it I'll put it in the OP and officially endorse it (which is the important part).

I'm sure there will be a way to ban people from servers if they're lovely, that technology has existed for a very long time.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

Babe Magnet posted:

hey dummies quit arguing about racists in the thread thanks

I'm not in a position to host or buy a server right now but if someone does it I'll put it in the OP and officially endorse it (which is the important part).

I'm sure there will be a way to ban people from servers if they're lovely, that technology has existed for a very long time.

I might spring for one depending on the costs how much is a 64 man server anyway?

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
i think mordhau servers are like a buck a slot? i know some goons have rented small ones already

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Comrayn posted:

This thread has already had a literal white supremacist screed written in it because, apparently, fighting games draw out the worst people.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Re the Billhook: The first time I saw somebody I considered straight up untouchable in the game thats what they were using, by the end of a match of taiga on a 36 player frontline server they were 80-15. They used the poke super judiciously and were also excellent at baiting out parries and punishing for them, I don't know about the actual numbers statwise for the hook but I was darn afraid of that person.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

$1.13 per slot right now. I don't think we'd need a 64 especially if it ends up being a Goon Server, but I'm going to keep my nose out of anything money related so you do you. If someone hosts one, I'll put it in the OP.

have you seen my baby
Nov 22, 2009

if the goon server doesn't allow for all disputes, arguments, and bans to be adjudicated through trial by combat then i will be outraged. OUTRAGED

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

it will not only allow it, but be mandatory.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
just party onto an empty server, who cares

you can search by name, do a @here in discord with it and party

heck votekick any fuckholes that poo poo up the place

Ritznit
Dec 19, 2012

I'm crackers for cheese.

Ultra Carp
Anyway, as I was saying, I'd be happy to help finance and mod a server because I really dig this game and I want to play it with chill folks who can have a laugh and aren't racist dickheads. If anyone's interested to chip in and/or mod, please PM me.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Hey, I heard this game is where all the cool racists on SA meet, do yall have a server to play on????

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I play on only the whitest of servers. If I catch even a whiff of a lesser race, such as a cuman, a spaniard, or an irish, I immediately call everyone a fag and leave

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Hey check this poo poo out: Weapon Damage Values Spreadsheet

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Does this game have flails? I remember I was actually pretty good with the flail knight in Chivalry.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

No, sadly. That would be dope as hell though

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

This is cool!

I plugged in the numbers for the (thrusting) polearms for the interesting stats so people can compare the numbers.
HTK is hits to kill at each armor level:
code:
| Name        | Attack | Alt Mode         | H       | T       | L         | Length | Windup | Combo   | Release | Point | Type       | Can   |
|             |        |                  | HTK     | HTK     | HTK       |        |        |         |         |  Cost |            | Combo |
|-------------+--------+------------------+---------+---------+-----------+--------+--------+---------+---------+-------+------------+-------|
| Short Spear | Strike | Off [Projectile] | 2/3/4/4 | 3/4/5/7 | 3/5/10/20 | 120 cm | 550 ms | 775 ms  | 500 ms  |     4 | One Handed | No    |
| Short Spear | Thrust | Off [Projectile] | 1/2/2/3 | 2/2/3/3 | 2/2/4/4   | 120 cm | 575 ms | 800 ms  | 350 ms  |     4 | One Handed | Yes   |
| Billhook    | Strike | Off              | 1/2/3/3 | 2/2/4/4 | 2/2/4/4   | 130 cm | 600 ms | 800 ms  | 525 ms  |     5 | Two Handed | Yes   |
| Billhook    | Thrust | Off              | 1/2/2/3 | 2/2/2/3 | 2/3/3/4   | 130 cm | 600 ms | 825 ms  | 350 ms  |     5 | Two Handed | Yes   |
| Billhook    | Strike | On               | 1/2/3/3 | 2/2/4/4 | 2/2/4/4   | 130 cm | 600 ms | 800 ms  | 525 ms  |     5 | Two Handed | Yes   |
| Billhook    | Thrust | On               | 1/2/2/3 | 2/2/2/3 | 2/3/3/4   | 130 cm | 600 ms | 825 ms  | 350 ms  |     5 | Two Handed | Yes   |
| Pole Axe    | Strike | Off              | 1/2/2/3 | 2/2/3/3 | 2/2/4/5   | 105 cm | 600 ms | 800 ms  | 500 ms  |     7 | Two Handed | Yes   |
| Pole Axe    | Thrust | Off              | 1/2/2/2 | 2/2/2/3 | 2/2/3/5   | 105 cm | 625 ms | 850 ms  | 350 ms  |     7 | Two Handed | Yes   |
| Pole Axe    | Strike | On               | 1/2/2/2 | 3/3/3/3 | 3/3/3/3   | 90 cm  | 625 ms | 850 ms  | 525 ms  |     7 | Two Handed | Yes   |
| Pole Axe    | Thrust | On               | 1/2/2/2 | 2/2/2/3 | 2/2/3/5   | 90 cm  | 600 ms | 825 ms  | 350 ms  |     7 | Two Handed | Yes   |
| Spear       | Strike | Off              | 3/3/4/4 | 4/4/6/8 | 4/5/9/14  | 180 cm | 625 ms | 950 ms  | 500 ms  |    10 | Two Handed | No    |
| Spear       | Thrust | Off              | 1/2/2/3 | 2/2/2/3 | 2/3/3/5   | 180 cm | 650 ms | 925 ms  | 350 ms  |    10 | Two Handed | No    |
| Spear       | Strike | On               | 2/2/3/3 | 2/3/4/5 | 2/3/5/10  | 135 cm | 575 ms | 675 ms  | 450 ms  |    10 | Two Handed | Yes   |
| Spear       | Thrust | On               | 1/2/2/2 | 2/2/2/3 | 2/3/3/5   | 135 cm | 575 ms | 775 ms  | 350 ms  |    10 | Two Handed | Yes   |
| Halberd     | Strike | Off              | 1/1/2/2 | 1/2/2/3 | 2/2/3/4   | 135 cm | 625 ms | 825 ms  | 500 ms  |    11 | Two Handed | Yes   |
| Halberd     | Thrust | Off              | 1/2/2/2 | 2/2/2/3 | 2/2/3/4   | 135 cm | 650 ms | 900 ms  | 350 ms  |    11 | Two Handed | Yes   |
| Halberd     | Strike | On               | 1/1/2/2 | 1/2/2/3 | 2/3/3/5   | 165 cm | 675 ms | 1000 ms | 500 ms  |    11 | Two Handed | No    |
| Halberd     | Thrust | On               | 1/2/2/2 | 2/2/2/3 | 2/2/3/4   | 165 cm | 650 ms | 1000 ms | 350 ms  |    11 | Two Handed | No    |

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Internet Kraken posted:

Does this game have flails? I remember I was actually pretty good with the flail knight in Chivalry.

Flails would be cool yea! I totally forgot they had flails on Chiv

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

churchill knew he warned us

Anyway with 500k sales, i bet the bannerlord games idiots are wishing they'd made chivalry 2 instead of shitheap: magical warfare or whatever their idiot thing was called.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Looking over the numbers, the game is definitely balanced w/ the weapon point cost for the non-joke weapons where the more points you invest the more you get some type of advantage, often in the form of better damage breakpoints against different armor levels.

The short spear's main advantage is you can wear it with a shield, it's the cheapest, and you can throw it.

The billhook's advantage over the short spear is I think the alt-mode pulls people in which is probably great for team battles, it has 10cm longer reach, and you still can do decent damage with swings instead of relying only on thrusts. It has worse startup though, must be 2-handed, and you can't throw it.

The poleaxe opens up 2-shotting level 3 heads but might have shittier range. Hard to tell without testing in-game since the "length" is only the length of the tracer.

Spear is god of range, but with the ranged long grip you can't combo the good range and it takes 3 hits to pop level 3 heads. You can take a shorter grip to 2-pop level 3 heads, combo, and have shorter startup.

Halberd has the best damage breakpoints on swings and thrusts, but it's shorter than the spear.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
The two handed spear is clearly made to poke idiots from the safety of friends.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem
What is Skirmish mode, I'm not seeing an explanation listed, it seems to only be available from server browser?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

hakimashou posted:

Anyway with 500k sales, i bet the bannerlord games idiots are wishing they'd made chivalry 2 instead of shitheap: magical warfare or whatever their idiot thing was called.

man that chivalry followup sure was... something...

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Bum the Sad posted:

What is Skirmish mode, I'm not seeing an explanation listed, it seems to only be available from server browser?

It's like Team Deathmatch, but instead of constant respawning like in TDM, dead people stay dead until one team loses and the next round begins.

Babe Magnet posted:

man that chivalry followup sure was... something...

It's really an impressive accomplishment just how aggressively uninteresting that game was

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Right? Like how do you make chivalry which owned for a long time, and then Chiv Deadliest Warrior which was weird and janky but also kind of owned and then add loving magic and that's where you peter out

skirmish is like last-man-standing team deathmatch but one or two weenies want to duel everyone at the end and it owns when you gank them anyway because they get real fuckin' mad

have you seen my baby
Nov 22, 2009

Spear alt grip does a surprising amount of damage

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

comedyblissoption posted:

This is cool!

I plugged in the numbers for the (thrusting) polearms for the interesting stats so people can compare the numbers.
HTK is hits to kill at each armor level:

Woah, I expected the poleaxe's alt mode to change a lot more. It actually barely affects the weapon's damage against armor.
I guess the main reason to switch is just choosing between edged weapon passing through enemies vs blunt stopping on hit.

e: Pretty good video on how to land kicks against shield users:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0WXiEODCwE

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 02:17 on May 8, 2019

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

have you seen my baby posted:

Spear alt grip does a surprising amount of damage

Yeah, I think I really like the spear, even if I still suck at hitting the stabs. I'll have to try the halberd too. Shame that going for dodge gives you no armor at all.

Omnipotent Fist
Aug 18, 2018

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So is this game not made by the Chivalry guys? I'm a bit confused on that front.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Internet Kraken posted:

So is this game not made by the Chivalry guys? I'm a bit confused on that front.

pretty sure torn banner got dissolved after their fantasy chivalry and that one Deadliest Warrior tie in were abject failures but I'm also like, 100% sure those devs were part of this team now.

Shitty Wizard
Jan 2, 2013

ASK ME WHY
I VOTED
FOR TRUMP

hakimashou posted:

churchill knew he warned us

500k Launch Sales too, so it's not like they picked it up in a humble bundle, sold it at a 50% (or better) discount, or gave away a shitload of free copies. They made a fantastic game and they got rewarded for it. This and Risk of Rain 2 doing well have been examples of non-lazy/lovely developers getting some recognition amongst the flood of lovely indietrash (wow heavily word based 2d game about cthlulu thats worth $10 you loving dumbass).

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Man I had a fuckin' incredible streak with the Executioner Sword tonight, I'm so pissed I didn't have a way to record them. I think jumping into a 1v1 server was a huge help in getting the flow down, definitely try it.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Woah, I expected the poleaxe's alt mode to change a lot more. It actually barely affects the weapon's damage against armor.
I guess the main reason to switch is just choosing between edged weapon passing through enemies vs blunt stopping on hit.

Yeah, unless it's already a loving huge weapon in the first place (or just long and fast enough to make up for it like staff), Blunt itself seems pretty :sigh: and the claimed gimmicks of "Better vs armor" and "The stamina drain matters!" feel very In Name Only.

The Warhammer in particular stands out. The only thing it has going for it, is that the pointy side deals high headshot damage vs armor :pseudo:

Meanwhile, It's blunt end deals worse damage to a chest covered in armor than the AXE. While the pointy end vs bare chests is... also horrible, at 49. Then it drops like a rock to 30/24/20. (and again, it's blunt side is worse than the slicey axe vs body armor).

I've had fun treating it as a gimmick finishing touch/opening move weapon. Because nobody expects a blunt hammer that lists 50 damage to a helmet, to list 70 damage to helmets with the sharp end. But it just doesn't seem to have anything going for it beyond trying for headshots with the pointy end.

Feels more like the eveningstar and maul are cool because they are HUGE, so they basically had to give them good damage across the board.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 03:03 on May 8, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

halberd high on the list but it's also so long that it will get blocked by every wall in the state county lines. . .