Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

The Monarch website has been updated with profiles for all of the featured Monarch personnel in the film bar a couple of exceptions. Interestingly it disproved one major fan theory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

PriorMarcus posted:

The Monarch website has been updated with profiles for all of the featured Monarch personnel in the film bar a couple of exceptions. Interestingly it disproved one major fan theory.

Kong's not one of the scientists in disguise?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

He didn't spend 6 years at Skull Island University just to "disguise" himself as a scientist.

Mantis42 fucked around with this message at 04:45 on May 8, 2019

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

side note: I truly, deeply, love this thread.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

PriorMarcus posted:

Tywin isn't Tom Hiddleston?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
You're a Lannister, Kong. Start acting like one.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Panfilo posted:

You're a Lannister, Kong. Start acting like one.

A Lannister always flays his pecs

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Tickets are starting to go on sale. Anyone else doing IMAX?

My local IMAX only had about 6 seats sold as of an hour ago. I guess Endgame skewed my sense of hype, but I thought they'd be disappearing quicker. :shrug:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

smoobles posted:

No IMAX tickets on sale here in Australia yet. :(

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

smoobles posted:

My local IMAX only had about 6 seats sold as of an hour ago. I guess Endgame skewed my sense of hype, but I thought they'd be disappearing quicker. :shrug:
I live a few minutes from one, so it'd be a sin against the old gods if I didn't.

It really makes me happy to see these characters treated with such care. Now I'm hoping Sideshow puts out an awesome and beautiful Mothra statue.
https://twitter.com/GodzillaMovie/status/1126154795906158592

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

God, I wanna go IMAX, but I'm not sure if I wanna spend the 15 bucks.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I love that this movie's aesthetic is basically "what if the posters for the Heisei movies were what the movies actually looked like"

SpaceGodzilla has gotta be one of the all-time biggest disparities between poster quality and movie quality

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Waffleman_ posted:

God, I wanna go IMAX, but I'm not sure if I wanna spend the 15 bucks.

LOL it's gonna cost me $28 bucks, and that's concession

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

LOL it's gonna cost me $28 bucks, and that's concession

If I was a little bit more financially fluid/was not also seeing Detective Pikachu this month, I'd be a bit more on board to spring for the IMAX, but I think I might just go the normal 10 bucks at the theater near my apartment.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Waffleman_ posted:

If I was a little bit more financially fluid/was not also seeing Detective Pikachu this month, I'd be a bit more on board to spring for the IMAX, but I think I might just go the normal 10 bucks at the theater near my apartment.

I'm in pretty much the same boat but I figure if I'm going to spend the extra $$$ on an IMAX ticket for any film it'd be this one

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
The only IMAX is like 30 minutes away and I have no clue how long that'd be by bus so yeah, regular theater 5 minutes down the road it is

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Yeah, my IMAX is about the same amount away and their tickets are not actually on sale yet outside of Fandango, and I wanna make sure I have my ticket soon so I know if I can cover a shift on Friday.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

May you have a golden demise.
https://twitter.com/MonarchSciences/status/1126185001962352640

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I'm in pretty much the same boat but I figure if I'm going to spend the extra $$$ on an IMAX ticket for any film it'd be this one

The last movie I saw in IMAX was Interstellar (worth it), The Hobbit in 3D (not even close to worth it) and I think The Matrix Reloaded before that.

This kind of movie feels very much like an IMAX movie.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Hell yeah.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Some concept art

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

YES PLEASE

https://www.sideshow.com/collectibles/Ilustrata-kaijus-ramen-mighty-jaxx-904691

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
IMAX tickets don't seem to be on sale near me yet. But I'm willing to go to the one real IMAX near me.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

smoobles posted:

Aladdin and Detective Pikachu are going to be killer competition. I will be pleasantly surprised if this does better than G'14's 200 mil gross. We get G vs Kong either way so whatever.

Just for fun, my prediction:

final worldwide gross for this movie: 550 million.
Rotten Tomatoes: 69% critic score, 75% audience

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Here's a fun memory lane compilation by action movie fan Rossotron: (includes clips from KOTM trailers so skip if you are avoiding that sort of thing)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPknt2yDIZY

fenix down fucked around with this message at 00:56 on May 9, 2019

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So is King of the Monsters technically the first Reiwa era Godzilla movie? Or are they keeping it exclusive to Toho productions?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Arcsquad12 posted:

So is King of the Monsters technically the first Reiwa era Godzilla movie? Or are they keeping it exclusive to Toho productions?

By any measure, it would be.

But going off of history, Shin will likely be considered the honorary 'first' Reiwa Era film, much in the same way Return of Godzilla is considered the first Heisei Era film.

Which isn't too bad a thing, they're a good paralel for one another and both kickstarted a brand new era of Japanese Godzilla films that would start way later.

Since King of the Monsters isn't a Japanese production, though, it'll likely just be considered a Legendary Godzilla film or whatever subset those films get.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Holy poo poo

https://twitter.com/Mike_Dougherty/status/1126640384086425600

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

:stonk:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

“Please...help...me”

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

That’s a pretty kickass balloon

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

CelticPredator posted:

“Please...help...me”

lmao Made my night buddy.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

I'M BEING BORN

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I hope those box office predictions don't come to pass but I won't be surprised if Godzilla gets swallowed up by the Endgame pain train and the Detective Pikachu follow up punch.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

Big Mood: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6M4qxXHrW4

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Arcsquad12 posted:

I hope those box office predictions don't come to pass but I won't be surprised if Godzilla gets swallowed up by the Endgame pain train and the Detective Pikachu follow up punch.

My father, who has never really watched Godzilla movies except incidentally (and didn't even realize King of the Monsters is a sequel) is excited for King of the Monsters. Anecdotal, but I'd say the Big G's trailers have been very effective.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tDUwNjw7ms&t=2s

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

I need them all.

bondster
May 6, 2007

IMAX ticket bought for a Thursday night showing :woop:

So drat excited for this film

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

https://losangeles.cbslocal.com/video/4082353-godzilla-takes-over-hollywood-cinerama-dome/

Video look from a few more angles of the Godzilla head.

drat, they even matched the spotlights to the color of the atomic breath..