Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

F14m3rz posted:

Alolan Ninetales

I'm vaguely sure I remember an insinuation that Lin stole/took/claimed Ame's A!Ninetales or something so this might be a thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elchar
Jan 15, 2019

one majestic bitch
Amethyst: Well, looks like I need to push Wooper into the postgame.

Elchar fucked around with this message at 23:56 on May 7, 2019

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

You all are forgetting that there is nothing stopping Amethyst from giving Lin custom moves.

Such as, say, a 100% accuracy OHKO move.

Or a special held item.

Et cetera.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

F14m3rz posted:

Doesn't it also have a 4x weakness to Freeze Dry? Granted, it would only have to worry about Aurorus, Articuno, Glalie, Vanilluxe, Cryogonal, Alolan Ninetales, Lapras, Mamoswine, or Delibird, but still.

Every day I live in fear of the monster, Delibird

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
4 different Hidden Powers and you need to guess their typing through trial & error.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

A team of six pokemon who look identical but have dramatically different stats and movesets and spam u turn

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Zanzibar Ham posted:

4 different Hidden Powers and you need to guess their typing through trial & error.

They change every playthrough, based on your relationship values and pokedex completion

Dallbun
Apr 21, 2010

thetoughestbean posted:

Every day I live in fear of the monster, Delibird

If Pokemon Reborn could somehow engineer a bullshit hard challenge where the correct and approved solution involved you using a Delibird, I would forgive a lot.

Also, this is late, but I missed my chance to bring it up earlier. Back in The Hole sequence when we were brainwashed, Raven's strength was acknowledged and she was treated as an unstoppable Pokemon battling force by the narrative, and it was actually kind of satisfying for a moment. ...and then the villains had a dialogue about how using Raven for that purpose was completely superfluous and unnecessary because they could have just put their opponents to sleep? Did the game seriously take even that amount of plot relevance from us?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Elchar posted:

Amethyst: Well, looks like I need to push Wooper into the postgame.

:wooper:

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

The Door Frame posted:

They change every playthrough, based on your relationship values and pokedex completion

That's still something you can learn and plan around. We're not dealing with the average bad game designer any more.

Instead, there's 1 for every possible 4 Hidden Power combinations - including the added Fairy and another bonus ??? typed one - and which one you get is randomised every time you do the fight.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

The Door Frame posted:

Also they have 80 base power.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The team changes based off your name as a homage to the missingno glitch, but the formula guarantees they'll be over level 500

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

I like to imagine the only reason why Solaris didn't recognize any of the... uh, "Core Grunts" was because Titania killed off everyone that he... recruited? That agreed with Solaris? Whatever.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
I can't wait until Episode 20.

Shwoo
Jul 21, 2011

I'm calling it now: Lin produced the Pokemon Colosseum MacGuffin by removing its nonexistence. The story already cribbed plot points from Homestuck by having a character turn into a black hole, so it might as well continue. I assume she's some kind of embodiment of nothingness, since that's all she ever talks about, and since the psychic orphan who sees mental scars isn't able to see her at all.

thetoughestbean posted:

This is minor compared to all the other problems but man I hate Hardy’s accent
Is he supposed to be Australian? British? An equidistant point between the two somewhere in the Indian Ocean? Who knows? He doesn't seem to.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

In the hands of a good writer/game, someone creating stuff by removing the fact that it doesn't exist could be interesting. The Magic Circle played around with that idea, where, because you're playing a PC that was "deleted" from the game and restored by another programmer, you can interact with "deleted" content. Pity the game wasn't that good though. I'd say it was a 6/10, 6.5/10 at most.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It did have a very good Urbaniak monologue.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

[
Oh no, two of Men's Rights intellectual titans clash! What will happen when facts and logic collide!?

Hydra-dra switches in, outspeeds Pokearchy handily, and wins a shouting match with 3 heads. And Earth Power.

Ditto will sit in a big chair with a skull in-frame and hit record only to realize it has no idea what it's doing.

Just want to say, this might be my favorite joke in the whole LP, and that's saying something.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Dallbun posted:

If Pokemon Reborn could somehow engineer a bullshit hard challenge where the correct and approved solution involved you using a Delibird, I would forgive a lot.

Also, this is late, but I missed my chance to bring it up earlier. Back in The Hole sequence when we were brainwashed, Raven's strength was acknowledged and she was treated as an unstoppable Pokemon battling force by the narrative, and it was actually kind of satisfying for a moment. ...and then the villains had a dialogue about how using Raven for that purpose was completely superfluous and unnecessary because they could have just put their opponents to sleep? Did the game seriously take even that amount of plot relevance from us?

No. It was the 1 on 2 that was objected to. That was a waste of time and unneeded risk for no gain, and it was called out as such.

"Woo-hoo, with her on our side, we're invincible!"
"WHY THE gently caress DID YOU DO THAT, YOU PETTY LITTLE MAN!? WANTED TO FEEL BIG, DID YOU? WANTED TO FEEL POWERFUL!?"
"We won, right?"
"SO?! WHY EVEN TAKE THE RISK? 6 ON 12?! WHEN YOU HAVE AN INSTANT-WIN BUTTON LIKE PULSE HYPNO, YOU loving USE IT!"

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 04:43 on May 8, 2019

Dalris Othaine
Oct 14, 2013

I think, therefore I am inevitable.

Dareon posted:

I've got a sick burn percolating linking "brevity is the soul of wit" and "engaging in a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent," but it's not quite together yet. I'll sleep on it, maybe y'all can think up something.

"Brevity is the soul of wit, which is why this lacks both?"

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Shwoo posted:

Is he supposed to be Australian? British? An equidistant point between the two somewhere in the Indian Ocean? Who knows? He doesn't seem to.

Given all the other anime inspirations of this game, I’m pretty comfortable calling him as Cockneystralian.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Capfalcon posted:

Just want to say, this might be my favorite joke in the whole LP, and that's saying something.

:emptyquote:

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Why invent a new :iceburn: when the idiom "too clever by half" encapsulates the whole stupid mess in 4 simple words?

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Capfalcon posted:

Pokearchy is just the gift that keeps on giving. :allears:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

This game has more characters than the Mines of Moria are infested with Goblins, goddamn, I'm so glad we're free of their endless dialogue.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
If we're doing favorite Pokearchy jokes, I really appreciated this one.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

"You know, feminist reforms would also benefit men."
"Wha- huh?! I don't-"

Also really appreciate the title cards for the fuckin three black hole updates.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

BisbyWorl posted:

Pokearchy is just the gift that keeps on giving. :allears:

I don't know whether to be more afraid of the fact that OFS has an encyclopaedic knowledge of MRA dipshits/terminology to write Pokearchy or the fact that I get every single joke

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

SirSamVimes posted:

I don't know whether to be more afraid of the fact that OFS has an encyclopaedic knowledge of MRA dipshits/terminology to write Pokearchy or the fact that I get every single joke

Both! Most of this poo poo goes over my head, which I am happy about!

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

SirSamVimes posted:

I get like 75% of them, which makes me feel a little good, like I haven't been exposed to all the toxic poo poo on the internet, just some.

Would someone mind explaining the "Ditto will sit in a big chair with a skull in-frame and hit record only to realize it has no idea what it's doing." one, though? Preferably without linking to an MRA video, I don't need that in my watch history.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Dareon posted:

I get like 75% of them, which makes me feel a little good, like I haven't been exposed to all the toxic poo poo on the internet, just some.

Would someone mind explaining the "Ditto will sit in a big chair with a skull in-frame and hit record only to realize it has no idea what it's doing." one, though? Preferably without linking to an MRA video, I don't need that in my watch history.

There's at least one MRA guy I recall from HBomberguy's takedowns of their movement that liked to always film himself sitting in a chair with a skull somewhere in the background while he acts as if he's drinking a glass of red wine. And he really tried hard to look like Kane from C&C too.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Dareon posted:

Davis Aurini, pretentious alt-right MRA shitgibbon.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

I'm just gonna get this out of the way so my crazy adventures make up the last loving thing I do.

This means Ocean Man can't solo this, I need an ally.

YOU DON'T SAY

Before we can even get to the puzzle, we have to beat up some...

Guitarists, the only new generic trainer class for E18.

Unless you count ??? or Worker.

We have to Rock Climb up the left wall and pluck the strings.

The note of the strings is controlled by pushing blocks.

Hey, when you have a functional block pushing mechanism...

And we have to get a specific riff.

The blocks correspond to notes, with eight positions.

Then he plays it. I can't tell which loving note is which.

I need help.

"the broad side of a B? Geez... First challenger we get in ages and they can't even do the puzzle properly. You know how long we worked to set this up, bro?! But all right, if you really want, throw down with me."

Yeah sure I love fighting.

I don't think this is a rock-type. Telluric Seeds on Rocky field boost two stats, but it applies double stealth rocks damage.

This causes this Darmanitan to instantly enter Zen Mode.

He just straight up tells us the notes. I have to still push blocks.

(It's annoying)

And then, we do it.

Sheesh. Ugh. Dang. Wow.

...that opens the door.

"I've been pumped for this for a while. You ready to roll? Hell yeah! But I know you didn't get this far by crumbling at the first sign of trouble. Show me what you can do! Don't you dare think I'm some kinda pushover like my sister, aite?"

"Lemme show it to ya in double time! This is gonna rock!"

While I changed a lot of other tracks, gym leaders are still The End of Raging Waves.

Incidentally, Hardy's music career is completely implied. Roxie, in Black 2/White 2, was actually performing at least.

His Gigalith naturally has Sand Stream. Sandstorm boosts the special defense of rock-types by 50%. But he has no other sources of sandstorms.

Because Rock is a bad type to have, I need Aggro-Crag to shed it asap. He has to use a move to Mega Evolve but thankfully Protect is there.

Hardy's Aerodactyl does the expected. At least he comes at you fast, with the biggest threat first.

They both try to Rock Smash Aggro-Crag but fail.

Now I can X-Defend him without them poking a x4 fighting weakness. Ocean Man replaces the sand with something a bit more accommodating.

Mega Aggron has 230 base defense. Aggro-Crag is Impish with max EVs.

Rock Smash's power increase is indicated via memes.

They can barely touch him.

And then Ocean Man drops the Aerodactyl instantly with Scald.

They took so long to wear him down and it just vanishes, while Ocean Man just keeps Scalding away!

This Lycanroc will do nothing but Rock Slide. It doesn't matter.

Timely protects help with the only dangerous parts of Hardy's team, his fliers.

Before Ocean Man just shoots them down, anyway.

Rain ends, but then Scald gets to do its other job, Burning Hardy's team. You see, only Omastar, Corsola, Magcargo, Probopass, Aurorus, and Nihilego have more special attack than physical, and that's 4 slowpokes and an Ultra Beast. So his entire team uses physical attacks. And there's no grass moves.

His ace is another Lycanroc, Dusk this time.

It's not much more dangerous than his Midday one.

This is the only flinch that happened the entire battle. I'm thankful it waited until I was 5/6 done.

Ocean Man scalds down another E18 boss.

Noticing both Solaris and Hardy lacked any way to deal with a Quagsire was the only time Pokemon Reborn Episode 18: Void-Kissed filled me with joy.

No, not you, not you.

There's a notable absence of geodes in anything he does but I stopped caring after Florinia gave the Canopy badge after her Desert team.

Ugh just max it out already, this is more annoying than restrictive.

Me and Rock Slide have a long and troubled history, over a decade before I ever began Pokemon Reborn.

"I bet you can see some use for it. Well... I'm countin' on ya to get some good use of it. The final showdown with Meteor pro'lly ain't far off now."

Hardy is probably the only person who remembers that Team Meteor is keeping Cain's sister hostage and has been since episode 12.

"If I gotta beat all of Meteor for it, fine. If I gotta beat you for it, I'll do it. You get what I'm sayin'? You gotta stay on track to finish the job. ...Tch, yeah, I can't wait any longer. I'm headin' back to Calcenon right now. I'll bust through that barrier one way or another. And when I do, Team Meteor is through for good!"

I guess this is my direction for E19 whenever it hits.

I'm guessing there'll be a dumb stinger as soon as I leave this building.

"It's been a long journey, but we'''re almost there! Thank you for playing, and please feel free #o explore the region between episodes. For s%pport, comments, feed{ack, questions, a(d future up`ates plea\e vis!+ h*tp:\/wxw.rebornevo.c0m"

"xxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxx"

(at this point the music changes to the creepy reversed gym music like we're sonic.exe or something)

"xxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxx"

"hey. do you really think this is okay??"

Since when could I do anything else?

"what, just because you're the chosen one like some kind of main character or some garbage like that?"

Meh, I've seen this game's boss design.

"so did everyone else."

(Did I ever have a boss fight that hinged on one?)

"and isn't it CONVENIENT that every area you prance through just happens to have a way out? who do you think put all those healing points around? i'm not saying everything you've done has been worthless or whatever. i'm just saying, a little appreciation would be nice."

"i could just keep you here."

"so you can go. for now. but you better thank me later. grovel, or whatever. but just make sure you come back."

This is the same weird voice that has talked to us at Citae Astrae and in the black hole, judging by the use of "playing".

By the way, I don't know Reborn's framerate offhand, maybe you can from the video link up there. I don't know how long 320 frames is exactly, just that it's too long.

Getting metatextual with me doesn't work when I can alter the text, buster. :colbert:

TODAY'S RANDOM SHINY:

Corsola is very ill! Someone call a doctor!!!

Orange Fluffy Sheep fucked around with this message at 13:39 on May 8, 2019

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
gently caress off. You don't get to pull that bullshit Amethyst.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
Special "gently caress you" to the helper bot who told you the answer. His whole condescending schtick stinks of "at least one playtester didn't know how to read or write sheet music and couldn't complete the puzzle." And all so we could hear the pokemon soundfont butcher the first 8 notes of Purple Haze. :cripes:

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

We've had that random shiny before! Surely we can't have run out of ridiculous sprites already.

I love the mental image of all these super-powerful trainers pulling out their god-tier monsters and being completely stonewalled by a smiling little blue blob just sitting there all :downs:

And seriously, gently caress off with that ending, I rolled my eyes so hard I think I broke something.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Can't wait for episode 19 to include the phrase "<Player> did his/her/their best."

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Black Robe posted:

We've had that random shiny before! Surely we can't have run out of ridiculous sprites already.

What?! How have I failed so?!

Have we had uh...

The sickest Corsola? Have we had this before?

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Forget about tone-deafness, it doesn't work for regular deafness either probably. Reborn League is an accessibility nightmare.

Black Mage Knight
Jan 25, 2012

stop biting my cape
I am honestly kinda impressed. I didn't think my expectations for the writing could drop any more after the hole but that stinger sure is telling me there is still much lower to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

"Why do you not heap praise upon me for all the NICE things I do for you?"

Bitch, shut the gently caress up. You're getting paid a grand a month for your "tribute" to one of a million RP pokemon games, and a "tribute" to your friends who you mock and deride. I can only assume that the message at the end is supposed to be Amethyst, so let me just say "gently caress you and the horsea you rode in on".

I mean, I know a grand a month isn't that much, but considering that it's about a grand-a-month more than every other pokemon fangame being made using premade tools, gently caress off with this "Where's my thanks" bullshit. No one forced her to make this game, she could have quit at any time.