Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Shaggar posted:

even if it was it would be an incredible outlier and buying water from the same store you're getting the soda would be cheaper

I’ve not done any kind of actual comparison but it seems like I’ve casually noticed in the past that a two liter of pop is cheaper than a liter of bottled water

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
i don't think you understand how expensive soda is compared to water

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
looks like a two liter of pepsi is 1.69 at Target

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Shaggar posted:

i think its way more likely they just enjoy soda. i get that you're trying to find some boogie man to blame, but i don't think theres one to find here.

some people’s wells are really hosed up but yes I suspect everyone in that article is like the picky eaters that are 45 and only eat chicken nuggets

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

water here is two dollars per cubic metre (a thousand litres)

now, delivery charges, sewer surcharges and infrastructure fees, on the other hand...

Jabor posted:

it could be more affordable than the one-off charge to get the water reconnected.

it's expensive to be poor

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

hobbesmaster posted:

some people’s wells are really hosed up but yes I suspect everyone in that article is like the picky eaters that are 45 and only eat chicken nuggets

yes i strongly suspect it's less "preference" and more "juvenile insistence that every meal be a treat of some kind"

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

yeah. most likely.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Shaggar posted:

i think its way more likely they just enjoy soda. i get that you're trying to find some boogie man to blame, but i don't think theres one to find here.

nah, it's a real problem in places. it's particularly bad because these people are giving their really young kids nothing but soda and it causes all sorts of health problems

it's not just a problem in the us either https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/14/world/americas/mexico-coca-cola-diabetes.html

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

President Beep posted:

looks like a two liter of pepsi is 1.69 at Target

Walmart brand water is like 21c/liter

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

dang. that’s very cheap indeed

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
even cheaper if you buy the larger sizes

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Even among water drinkers you have a bunch of people who drink exclusively from single use plastic water bottles which is not great.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

gently caress nestle and coke and koch

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

"water is cheap"

a brutal shaggaring :jerkbag:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
maine has some of the best water in the nation. im drinking it right now!

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

flakeloaf posted:

lol

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i love my municipal water but our softener makes it taste dumb

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.

hobbesmaster posted:

yeah, the well water on my grandpa's farm smelled strongly of sulfur, which was, uh, not pleasant, but if you poured a glass and let it sit for a couple mins the smell would dissipate.

taking a shower though, lemme tell ya it's real hard to convince yourself you're getting clean while all you can smell is rotten eggs

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

President Beep posted:

soft water is the worst.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

it’s great for laundry and showers and whatnot but yeah that taste. bleh.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

my city has pretty good water so i shake my head at the bins full of crumpled plastic water bottles put out every garbage day

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

fiji water. holy poo poo... :tizzy:

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

President Beep posted:

mlyp

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Feisty-Cadaver posted:

yeah, the well water on my grandpa's farm smelled strongly of sulfur, which was, uh, not pleasant, but if you poured a glass and let it sit for a couple mins the smell would dissipate.

taking a shower though, lemme tell ya it's real hard to convince yourself you're getting clean while all you can smell is rotten eggs

same with my parents, except they're just on a house out in the suburbs (but built before the 'burbs were put in with city water so they're still on a well). showers are indeed slightly disturbing.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

The_Franz posted:

there are people in really poor areas of the us that just drink soda because buying a few liters of pepsi a week is apparently cheaper than paying the water bill

i remember in high school hearing about some kid who went though a 2 liter bottle of soda every couple of days and everyone's reaction was "holy poo poo that's a lot of soda, he's gonna get diabetes!". a couple of years ago i met a guy with a phd from harvard who drinks 6 cans of coke a day. those are us sized 355ml cans so that's more than 2 liters

i used to live with a guy that could go through a fridge pack of coke in a day

he was a skinny smoker with a mouthful of cavities

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Shaggar posted:

Shaggar posted:

soft water is the worst.

lol

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
if you like soft water you're nuts

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

flakeloaf posted:

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Sniep posted:

this notion of "not drinking water" is completely new to me

like, i get it not tasting like soda or anything but to actively not drink it?

like what do you do if you are thirsty and are out of pop, and you can't go anywhere to get more pop till tomorrow? just, fuckin suffer?

years ago i was curious about the 8 glasses of water a day recommendation. it's actually not clear from research that it's inherently healthier to drink a lot of water, and you can get enough water from your regular diet, especially if you eat foods that contain a significant amount of liquid like fruit or yogurt or what have you. i drink water and tea some, especially if i'm exercising but often i just don't drink much

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Shaggar posted:

except for the arsenic, be sure to test your well

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
i don't have a well

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Shaggar posted:

i don't have a well

then you're in the minority in rural maine

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Broken Machine posted:

years ago i was curious about the 8 glasses of water a day recommendation. it's actually not clear from research that it's inherently healthier to drink a lot of water, and you can get enough water from your regular diet, especially if you eat foods that contain a significant amount of liquid like fruit or yogurt or what have you. i drink water and tea some, especially if i'm exercising but often i just don't drink much

several years ago i didn't drink enough water but then i woke up in the middle of the night in crippling pain from kidney stones. now im always drinking and pissing, but the stones haven't recurred

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

several years ago i didn't drink enough water but then i woke up in the middle of the night in crippling pain from kidney stones. now im always drinking and pissing, but the stones haven't recurred

were you also drinking a lot of soda?

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Broken Machine posted:

were you also drinking a lot of soda?

no, but i was eating mints infused with green tea that had caffeine and i suspect that was a culprit

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

you know what else can give you kidney stones? hard water

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

also antacids that include calcium as an ingredient like tums, which i found out when i was real high in college and lost track of how many chewable tums tablets i had taken and woke up the next day pissing calcium crystals until one of them got stuck and i had to go to the hospital :toot:

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
aaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAA

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Shame Boy posted:

also antacids that include calcium as an ingredient like tums, which i found out when i was real high in college and lost track of how many chewable tums tablets i had taken and woke up the next day pissing calcium crystals until one of them got stuck and i had to go to the hospital :toot:

I like alka seltzer ( without aspirin) quicker and more effective, it does taste awful though and seems like only old people drink it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

Celexi posted:

alka seltzer ( without aspirin)
So, baking soda, basically