Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
Gobblin' them mega schlongs
Makin' sure they mega long
Stroke' 'em if they mega strong

Broken Machine posted:

before modern clean water supplies, it was common to just drink low alcohol beer all day. people just low-key drunk all day

explains the middle ages

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

lancemantis posted:

if they had breathed some alternative to fresh air that generates massive profits for most of their lives i'm sure they would

try some of these fruity vapes!

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.
i, like I imagine everyone else who thinks about it seriously, wonder if stymie is actually committed to ending bad tech industry practices or anything like it.

and I don't know. stymie seems to focus mostly on "things are bad, tech is bad, you are complicit" which, sure, yes agreed. but how productive is that angle?

there are other angles too, including "organize your workplace" and "radicalize the industry" and such.

not that I can claim to be productive in this regard at all, tho, lmbo

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Sanguinary Novel posted:

Hey here's this free, delicious, healthy liquid that isn't filled with parasites and diseases*! Comes right out of the tap! Perfect for you body!

*Flint has been without clean water for 5+ years

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

air smells like nothing, why would I breathe when I could be vaping?

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
huh i didn't know virgil texas posted in this thread

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

jimmyjams posted:

explains the middle ages

merry monks and all that.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Broken Machine posted:

before modern clean water supplies, it was common to just drink low alcohol beer all day. people just low-key drunk all day

or cider

or eat mince pie which was "partially" "preserved" with alcohol

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Broken Machine posted:

you cant get drunk off beer.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

prisoner of waffles posted:

i, like I imagine everyone else who thinks about it seriously, wonder if stymie is actually committed to ending bad tech industry practices or anything like it.

and I don't know. stymie seems to focus mostly on "things are bad, tech is bad, you are complicit" which, sure, yes agreed. but how productive is that angle?

there are other angles too, including "organize your workplace" and "radicalize the industry" and such.

not that I can claim to be productive in this regard at all, tho, lmbo

well stymie posts on an ironic computer message board all day, what do you think the answer is

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Tori’s hometown: confirmed.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
stymie is a long-term performance artist.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I tried to listen to the KT Event episode from RadioLab but it was just someone reading Beep’s posts aloud.

:shudder:

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

https://twitter.com/CNBCnow/status/1125855120611323904

9 dollars per share loss buy buy buy

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
Gobblin' them mega schlongs
Makin' sure they mega long
Stroke' 'em if they mega strong
did yall just get metastymied

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

President Beep posted:

merry monks and all that.

my understanding is that this tends to be p overblown into sort of an urban myth

peasants commonly drank water and settlements grew around water-providing infrastructure like wells. it's just that alcohol was considered healthy back then and you drank beer, even smallbeer, if you could afford it. and monastic orders typically just produced their various boozes as part of their requirement to support themselves - it was considered scandalous for members of a holy order to get drunk, though i've heard that some german orders would eschew solid food for stuff like lent and subsist entirely off of beer

but yeah the wealthy classes were drunk all the time, which is where a lotta that comes from, because that's who people wrote about back then. no one cared what the poors ate or wore or whatever

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

yeah, it’s probably bullshit, but it’s a fun narrative.

i heard that monks love to get crunk on buckfast

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
salmon was also considered poor people food, because you could just get it free from any river. like on the same level as green peas boiled into a mush

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

salmon was also considered poor people food, because you could just get it free from any river. like on the same level as green peas boiled into a mush

also lobster

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

BMan posted:

also lobster

yes but salmon is actually good without drowning in butter unlike lobster

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
lobster is delicious

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
FOR ME TO POOP ON!

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
for me to eat and then poop out and then continue pooping

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the thing that sucks about lobster is the cleanup cause everything that touches lobster will smell horrible for days unless u clean it properly.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

I fuckin love water

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

yeah. water is incredibly good and anyone who doesn’t like it shouldn’t be trusted.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

And we're living dying here in Allentown

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

This is why Catholics do the no meat except fish on Fridays during Lent. Fish was poor people food.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

FTC case against backpack seller unpacks how law applies in crowdfunding

quote:

According to the FTC, a company raised over $800,000 in four crowdfunding campaigns for a high-tech backpack and other items, but used a large portion of the money on personal expenses.

Defendants iBackPack of Texas and CEO Douglas Monahan claimed on popular crowdfunding platforms they would use the funds primarily to develop, produce, and deliver certain products – including a backpack that incorporated tech features. For example, on Indiegogo, the defendants claimed as early as 2015 that consumers who contributed $169 would get the iBackPack 1.0 Power Pack, which features batteries, cables, and a Bluetooth speaker.

the FTC alleges the defendants made similar misrepresentations in Indiegogo campaigns for their MOJO tech shoulder bag and POW Smart Cable. According to the lawsuit, the estimated delivery dates for those products came and went with nothing in consumers’ hands, despite the defendants’ claims that the products were “FINALLY on their way here,” that consumers would get them “within the next 6 weeks or so,” and that they’re “already in the air from China.” The defendants allegedly told Indiegogo’s staff: “MOJO BAG IS DONE/FINISHED/SHIPPED/OVER WITH” and “POW CABLES ARE DONE/FINISHED/NEARLY ALL SHIPPED/LAST ONES GOING OUT.” Indiegogo ultimately suspended Defendants’ fundraising privileges in November 2016.

Hundreds of consumers complained about the defendants’ failure to deliver the promised items. According to the FTC, in some cases, defendant Monahan responded with threats, including telling one consumer he knew where the consumer lived and telling another person he would sue for libel and slander. Only a small number of total contributors have received requested refunds.

So where did the money go? According to the complaint:

Defendants have used a large share of contributions for Defendant Monahan’s own personal purposes, such as making bitcoin purchases and ATM withdrawals and paying off personal credit cards; for marketing efforts to raise additional funds from consumers; and for other business ventures. Defendants used a small fraction of the funds to send individual items – such as charging cables – to some consumers in order to string Indiegogo and consumers along while Defendants raised additional funds, but have not provided a single completed product to any consumer who contributed to the campaigns.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

let’s see here:
$12 backpack: https://m.alibaba.com/product/60752438870/Hot-shot-stylish-backpack-bag-custom.html?s=p&spm=a2706.7835515.0.0.643f5d936QhaGy

just need to tape some poo poo into that front pouch to meet the requirements:
lovely battery: $2: https://m.alibaba.com/product/60776987627/Metal-power-bank-2200mah-mobile-power.html?spm=a2706.wap_new_search.1998817009.31.4b1a284fcfeezS
lovely speaker: $3 https://m.alibaba.com/product/60844....64b7284fjJHXN8
maybe throw in $1 of cables https://m.alibaba.com/product/50040....6d6e284fzpW4XR

bom of $18 and it should keep you out of prison!

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 02:06 on May 8, 2019

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

Broken Machine posted:

yeah, working form home is great

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
this notion of "not drinking water" is completely new to me

like, i get it not tasting like soda or anything but to actively not drink it?

like what do you do if you are thirsty and are out of pop, and you can't go anywhere to get more pop till tomorrow? just, fuckin suffer?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Sniep posted:

like what do you do if you are thirsty and are out of pop, and you can't go anywhere to get more pop till tomorrow? just, fuckin suffer?

door dash lacroix

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Sniep posted:

there are people in really poor areas of the us that just drink soda because buying a few liters of pepsi a week is apparently cheaper than paying the water bill

i remember in high school hearing about some kid who went though a 2 liter bottle of soda every couple of days and everyone's reaction was "holy poo poo that's a lot of soda, he's gonna get diabetes!". a couple of years ago i met a guy with a phd from harvard who drinks 6 cans of coke a day. those are us sized 355ml cans so that's more than 2 liters

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

The_Franz posted:

there are people in really poor areas of the us that just drink soda because buying a few liters of pepsi a week is apparently cheaper than paying the water bill

i don't think that's possible.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
even if it was it would be an incredible outlier and buying water from the same store you're getting the soda would be cheaper

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

i guess if you don’t have municipal water and your state legislature is bought by an oil/gas/coal company then I could certainly understand learning not to like tap water?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
i think its way more likely they just enjoy soda. i get that you're trying to find some boogie man to blame, but i don't think theres one to find here.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

water is from the government and the government is bad, and also fluoride, so therefore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Shaggar posted:

i don't think that's possible.

it could be more affordable than the one-off charge to get the water reconnected.

it's expensive to be poor