Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Plutonis posted:

Arabs definitely had cause for being persecuted in America since Al Qaeda killed like at least 2,000 people during 9/11 lol

e: ahaha what a lovely page topper

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

It's really great how comic book continuity means every exceptionally bad 'actually, maybe we're right to persecute mutants!' storyline hangs around forever in the background like a congoer who knows nobody wants him around and is relying on the Geek Social Fallacies.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Plutonis posted:

Mutants definitely had cause for being persecuted on the Ultimate universe since Magneto killed like at least 10 million people during Ultimatum lol

mutants were also a failed-ish government super weapon project in the Ultimate Universe. Ultimate Universe got pretty bad, and really needed to be put out of its misery sooner. Spiderman was mostly okay-ish. The rest goes into the dumpster. Also as pointed out that guy was writing for a newer book that was an X-men/Avengers mash up after their big summer event was Avengers vs X-Men

it's kinda interesting the industry parallels between nerdgames and comics, since at this point the big names are just kept as an IP or vanity project by companies too big to really care too much what goes on in them. You also see a confluence of Gatekeeping by regressive and toxic fans, blatant pandering (to both newer audiences and the regressive trolls), and attempts at genuinely inclusion/growing fandom.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Coolness Averted posted:

it's kinda interesting the industry parallels between nerdgames and comics, since at this point the big names are just kept as an IP or vanity project by companies too big to really care too much what goes on in them. You also see a confluence of Gatekeeping by regressive and toxic fans, blatant pandering (to both newer audiences and the regressive trolls), and attempts at genuinely inclusion/growing fandom.

This is unfortunately universal across entertainment mediums in the capitalist hellscape we live in.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Lord knows some Gatekeeping is necessary.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
Anyone remember how many books for 2nd ed. D&D were published under TSR? I feel like it's somewhere close to 700, or some other ludicrous number.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

It was a ridiculous number but there's no way they published 700.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Kwyndig posted:

Skimming the Wikipedia article on d&d publications there were just shy of 300 books and suppliments published by tsr (total not just ad&d 2nd e) this doesn't include poo poo like their woodburning kits or novel line though. About half were ad&d 2nd e it seemed.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
I might've gotten things mixed up with the giant gently caress-off amount of pure poo poo that TSR produced back in the day.

Edit: I also wasted way more time counting through this checklist than I should have and it has about 644 entries in the AD&D 2e block, pages 8 to 25. This is counting hardcover and softcover versions.

Slimnoid fucked around with this message at 02:43 on May 8, 2019

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Kwyndig posted:

There's actually over 1000 publications and products that were put out for AD&D 2nd edition by TSR. The thing is, many of those were RPGA modules, which are hard to weed out. Even with that, though, 700 isn't a crazy number. I remember at one point I worked out they were putting out at least 1-2 products a week one year.

It's easily one of the most prolific game lines in history, in any case.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
They also hadn't given up publishing stuff for basic for some of the lifetime of 2e.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!

Leperflesh posted:

The thing that gets me about the whole "mutants as metaphors for minorities" is that there's a very obvious and easy to write and glaring example where they could be used to bring new focus and attention to racial disparity and race-based oppression.

The #1 reason we have what limited gun control laws we have in the US is because of white people being afraid when black people have guns. Especially here in california, this was the most public and prominent controversy surrounding the Black Panthers; they stood around state buildings in Sacramento, open-carrying in strict compliance with the laws at the time, and that terrified the hell out of white politicians and white voters, and so they started restricting and banning guns.

But uh, in addition to racism being a hot button topic, boy isn't gun control also.

e. but basically yeah, if superhero comics want to explore racism, they can explore actual racism, they don't need mutants to be the cover.

Just gonna leave this here...

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
I was hoping that was gonna be kittyprydesayingthen-word.jpg
A link to the page. It's from Claremont's run https://i.imgur.com/imOD3BM.png

Coolness Averted fucked around with this message at 05:57 on May 8, 2019

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Coolness Averted posted:

Woooooooooooffffff…

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Coolness Averted posted:

Lol. I was wondering what the context would be. The context is apparently a white guy thinking "gee, I just wish a black person would call me a slur so I could use the n-word at them." Why are people so pathetic?

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

occamsnailfile posted:

It's why you get tone-deaf poo poo like white, blonde, easily-passing Havok declaring that he "wants to be seen as human first" and the author declaring that anyone who doesn't like his writing should drown themselves in hobo piss.

:catstare:

I was sure you were exaggerating.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!

The "m" word. Lol.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I feel like Judge Dredd made best use of mutants as a persecuted minority when Dredd realize the anti-mutant laws are unjust (after meeting his distant, mutant relatives.)

It's been years since I read it, but the storyline dealt with Dredd learning that rule-of-law is actually bad when the system is weaponized against minorities.

Science fiction can do well by reframing social issues, and I think where X-Men fell down is that they presented mutants largely as attractive young people with desirable gifts.

Havok talking about how he's human with his chiseled jawline, blue eyes and blonde hair? The reader is already primed to be on his side.

But a cursed-earth weirdo with extra arms makes a better universal "other" since it encourages the reader to realize their own prejudices.

There's a tightrope though, since it's easy to gently caress up and then you're the rear end in a top hat who presented Palestinians as bug people.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

moths posted:

I feel like Judge Dredd made best use of mutants as a persecuted minority when Dredd realize the anti-mutant laws are unjust (after meeting his distant, mutant relatives.)

It's been years since I read it, but the storyline dealt with Dredd learning that rule-of-law is actually bad when the system is weaponized against minorities.

Science fiction can do well by reframing social issues, and I think where X-Men fell down is that they presented mutants largely as attractive young people with desirable gifts.

Havok talking about how he's human with his chiseled jawline, blue eyes and blonde hair? The reader is already primed to be on his side.

But a cursed-earth weirdo with extra arms makes a better universal "other" since it encourages the reader to realize their own prejudices.

There's a tightrope though, since it's easy to gently caress up and then you're the rear end in a top hat who presented Palestinians as bug people.
Wait, what? :stonk: How did that of all things happen outside of pro-occupation propaganda?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

moths
Aug 25, 2004

NGDBSS posted:

Wait, what? :stonk: How did that of all things happen outside of pro-occupation propaganda?

It didn't as far as I know!

I meant that in using something like Mega City One's apartheid to illustrate real world injustice, you run the risk of drawing ugly comparisons between the fictionalized oppressed (mutants) and real people (Palestinians.)

The best example of this going poo poo-fan wrong is probably District 9, where apartheid was maybe good and the minority population were hideous and all suffered brain damage or something.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Oh, I thought you were referring to Planet Hulk

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

moths posted:

I meant that in using something like Mega City One's apartheid to illustrate real world injustice, you run the risk of drawing ugly comparisons between the fictionalized oppressed (mutants) and real people (Palestinians.)

The best example of this going poo poo-fan wrong is probably District 9, where apartheid was maybe good and the minority population were hideous and all suffered brain damage or something.

That's a little unfair to District 9, though I admit the movie is deeply imperfect. (For the record, I'm half South African, my father went into exile for the ANC, and my username is based on a dumb mispronunciation of Joe Slovo; that doesn't mean I have good taste in movies but I felt I should mention it.)

District 9's project is about creating an abjected population who read, on first appearance, as horrible bug monsters, and whose attempts at revolutionary resistance are read as random and criminal. This is meant to directly parallel the treatment of the African majority under apartheid, and in particular the white population's experience of them as an underclass mediated by apartheid propaganda. The focal character is a white South African who is literally an apartheid-era joke character, the Afrikaner bureaucrat who is hideously callous while completely un-self-aware. The film clearly wants the viewer to, over the course of the film, realize that they've been siding with an evil state which brutally oppresses the refugee population of aliens on the basis of an irrational fear and a desire for power. Eventually, you're supposed to entirely identify with the aliens and see humans as grotesque.

It fucks this up on a lot of levels, one of which is the standard action movie plot, and another of which is the protagonist being so bummed out at being an alien, which has the weird implication that taking part in the Struggle turned white people black? It's not good. And then the Nigerian characters are these horrible stereotypes that are just an expression of modern SA xenophobia. So that's terrible.

But the basic move of 'you find it hard to empathize with these aliens because they look weird to you and your understanding is filtered through propaganda' that the movie starts with was a rich one, and could have been much better handled at the end; the idea being to force the viewer to reckon with their immediate willingness to see the Other as lesser than human and not deserving of respect and equal rights, and how actual revolutionary action (the derailed train at the start of the movie, the violence that appears occasionally, which are directly parallel to ANC sabotage, etc) are presented as meaningless and random acts of violence.

I wish it were a better movie than it is, basically, because the core metaphor gets really close to working well. And then instead it ends up being difficult to read properly. Which agrees with the general point, aliens as direct metaphors for oppressed groups are really hard to make work.

E: Also, I wouldn't have thought anyone could walk out of that movie thinking 'apartheid for bugs is good, actually' given that the central plot hinges on an evil corporation doing horrible experiments on the aliens in order to develop weaponry, while claiming to just be looking out for their interests paternalistically - and the alien father and son characters are the only likeable ones.

Joe Slowboat fucked around with this message at 19:33 on May 8, 2019

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Isn't it kinda muddied a bit by the fact that most of the Prawns that made it to Earth are idiots(at least by human standards) due to being the worker caste for their species

moths
Aug 25, 2004

That's what I remember the film implying. Somehow the state's appalling treatment of them was presumably better than letting them die by being unfit to live.

There was definitely a scene where they were all shown lying around in an idiotic stupor, too mindless to move. (When the ship first arrived?)

Joe Slowboat's excellent post shines some light on the intent, but yeah the execution fell substantially short.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Yeah every bit of alien biology in the movie sucked and undermined the point except the bit where Wikus was flamethrowering alien babies and the movie gets viewers to think that's ok because egg sacs are gross. And then you meet an alien kid and think for two seconds and you realize what he was party to.

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation

moths posted:

The metaphor of district 9 would have worked a lot better if like the only black people who speak in it weren't evil witch cannibal nigerian bandits.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Catfishenfuego posted:

The metaphor of district 9 would have worked a lot better if like the only black people who speak in it weren't evil witch cannibal nigerian bandits.

Agreed, and anti-Nigerian xenophobia is rampant in SA these days. Ironically, that same xenophobia, expressed towards immigrant refugees in SA, was I think part of what motivated the movie. The metaphor just apparently got totally lost; probably the intent was 'criminal gangs prey on immigrants' or something but I genuinely don't know what they were thinking in their representation of the Nigerian characters.

Technically, a very Afropolitan black South African gets interviewed saying lovely stuff about the aliens early in the movie, which I think is from the original short film.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

The original short film, when they're doing the man-on-the-street interviews, are also interviewing real people, just instead of "bugmen" they asked the people "what do you think of Nigerians".

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

bewilderment posted:

The original short film, when they're doing the man-on-the-street interviews, are also interviewing real people, just instead of "bugmen" they asked the people "what do you think of Nigerians".

Long, pained 'yiiiiikes' from me here.

That the movie went on to be wildly xenophobic against Nigerians, that's just icing on the yikescake.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

I'm working up a game scenario that's way back in 1982. I'm ancient enough that I have memories of that year, but the game isn't set in some crappy subdivision, it's set in Scandinavia. Does anyone know of good resources for seeing what parts of the world were like back when?

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
You could always try watching some movies of the period and get a sense for it? Usually a cinematic, "skin deep" understanding is all you need to make something feel real enough.

Also, stock footage.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

They might be geoblocked but https://www.oppetarkiv.se and https://www.filmarkivet.se have swedish film and TV archives going pretty much all the way back. If you can understand it it could be a pretty good way to get the right feeling

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Thanks guys! That stock footage YouTube video already gave me some good notions.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

I found out recently that my favorite local hobby/game shop is employing a convicted child molester. I talked to my wife about it and both agreed that I won't take our kids in anymore, but I'm all for just being done with this place in general. Am I overreacting? How would you handle this?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

EdsTeioh posted:

I found out recently that my favorite local hobby/game shop is employing a convicted child molester. I talked to my wife about it and both agreed that I won't take our kids in anymore, but I'm all for just being done with this place in general. Am I overreacting? How would you handle this?

Has he served his time and undergone proper rehabilitation?

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

EdsTeioh posted:

You have no moral or societal obligation to give a private business your presence or money and if you're not comfortable being there you can (and should) go elsewhere. In the meantime I'd be deeply suspicious of any employer that deals with teenagers and children employing a child sex offender, as they should have done some sort of background check because of the nature of their business, but LGSes are often crapshoots in terms of professionality and I'm not familiar with the actual legal requirements. Someone with more experience in the business/laws end can probably address that - my reaction would probably be to bring it up to the owner.

Kibner posted:

Has he served his time and undergone proper rehabilitation?

As far as I know some states do have explicit laws preventing anyone on a sex offender registry from working in positions related to or conducive to their original crime, which could end up being relevant.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

EdsTeioh posted:

If they are working at a game shop, I would assume they don't have any conditions like needing to stay away from kids? Or announcing their offender status? I have no idea how any of this works.

In general if someone served their time and is getting suitable after-care, I'd of course exercise caution with my own kids, but I wouldn't necessarily ban the place.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Man how did you find that out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I wouldn't take a child there in any way but otherwise if there's no alternative shop I would still buy from there I guess