Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

you know what else can give you kidney stones? hard water

in that case, citric acid helps destroy stones, so just chug mtn dew all day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Shame Boy posted:

also antacids that include calcium as an ingredient like tums, which i found out when i was real high in college and lost track of how many chewable tums tablets i had taken and woke up the next day pissing calcium crystals until one of them got stuck and i had to go to the hospital :toot:

this story would be a funny anti-drug film to show middle-schoolers. altho if your stone-passing hospital experience was like mine, they gave you a shitton of opioids and sent you home with a month's supply of oxycontin, so on second thought maybe not

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

in that case, citric acid helps destroy stones, so just chug mtn dew all day

i know you're joking, but mountain dew contains brominated vegetable oil, which is a halogenated hydrocarbon, in addition to being absurdly sweet. bromine is literally banned as a food additive in most of the world. whatever you drink, i'd stay well away from mountain dew (and other foods with bromine)

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
I love when my water district changes sources occasionally and I get to feel smell like I’m showering with lake water

Well, it probably just is lake water

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
Upon further investigation our water does indeed possibly come from where I felt like it was and I’m not surprised about it at all

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

this story would be a funny anti-drug film to show middle-schoolers. altho if your stone-passing hospital experience was like mine, they gave you a shitton of opioids and sent you home with a month's supply of oxycontin, so on second thought maybe not

yeah same lol

Broken Machine posted:

i know you're joking, but mountain dew contains brominated vegetable oil, which is a halogenated hydrocarbon, in addition to being absurdly sweet. bromine is literally banned as a food additive in most of the world. whatever you drink, i'd stay well away from mountain dew (and other foods with bromine)

they removed that in like 2014 actually

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Shame Boy posted:

yeah same lol

they removed that in like 2014 actually

not in the us. here

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Broken Machine posted:

most of the flour you can buy at the store here has bromate in it too

lol even china has it banned as a carcinogen

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

lancemantis posted:

Upon further investigation our water does indeed possibly come from where I felt like it was and I’m not surprised about it at all

new orleans gets its municipal drinking water right outta the mississippi river

part of their treatment process involves adding ammonia to it and whenever i'd tell people that they were never surprised

then again i'm one of those weirdos that likes ammonia cokes so the tapwater there never bothered me

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

not that i don't trust the mountain dew fan wiki page that's only been updated twice since 2015, but they publicly announced they were removing it back in 2014 so i'm gonna need slightly more convincing

like i can fully believe that they said that and never did it but i'm not finding any sort of article calling them out for it, and news outlets love calling companies out for using scary chemicals after saying they wouldn't do it anymore

e: see later post

Shame Boy fucked around with this message at 07:06 on May 8, 2019

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
food chat reminds me of seeing an old ms buttersworth ad where they claimed superiority over plain old maple syrup

lol imagine trying to pull that off now

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

i found something from "pepsico beverage facts dot com" that says it still has it as of april 30th of this year so i guess that's a bit more reliable but it's weird that i can't find like, an official page with the ingredients anywhere

e: I guess this is the official site? it looks like a goddamn domain squatter, what the hell pepsi

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
the last time i visited the mountain dew fanwiki it was to see what flavor the one that looks like a bottle of cum was

google told me that i had visited that site 4 times previously and i felt enough shame to wipe all my cookies and site history

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Shame Boy posted:

i found something from "pepsico beverage facts dot com" that says it still has it as of april 30th of this year so i guess that's a bit more reliable but it's weird that i can't find like, an official page with the ingredients anywhere

e: I guess this is the official site? it looks like a goddamn domain squatter, what the hell pepsi

the reason i linked you to the fan page as opposed to the (somewhat hard to find) pepsi page is because it also helpfully provides other versions around the world for contrast

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

lancemantis posted:

food chat reminds me of seeing an old ms buttersworth ad where they claimed superiority over plain old maple syrup

lol imagine trying to pull that off now

maple syrup is a fairly big deal around here, and someone sued McDs so they have to provide you with real maple syrup with your pancakes. they only do this if you ask, but it's some local pancake law that you have to provide customers with real syrup

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

lol don't you dare say that about mountain dew

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

i like the Trainmaster718

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Shame Boy posted:

not that i don't trust the mountain dew fan wiki page that's only been updated twice since 2015, but they publicly announced they were removing it back in 2014 so i'm gonna need slightly more convincing

like i can fully believe that they said that and never did it but i'm not finding any sort of article calling them out for it, and news outlets love calling companies out for using scary chemicals after saying they wouldn't do it anymore

e: see later post

it's still listed in the ingredients on the label as of this year. but i cant find much about BVO being shown harmful, wikipedia cites one guy who drank 4 liters of BVO soda/day and developed "bromism" which is either something people got a lot back when bromides were popular, or maybe something involving cartoon ponies?

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

it's still listed in the ingredients on the label as of this year. but i cant find much about BVO being shown harmful, wikipedia cites one guy who drank 4 liters of BVO soda/day and developed "bromism" which is either something people got a lot back when bromides were popular, or maybe something involving cartoon ponies?

here
https://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-29376436

more than you'd ever care to know

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Broken Machine posted:

local pancake law

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

The_Franz posted:

a couple of years ago i met a guy with a phd from harvard who drinks 6 cans of coke a day. those are us sized 355ml cans so that's more than 2 liters

in the US a large drink cup at burger king holds 40oz (1.18L) and there are free refills

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

i wouldn't trust a food blogger who put crystal light in all his beverages either, but this is the website banner of the brand he explicitly cites

I hate this as much as anything else posted in this thread so far. I would rather drive a Tesla covered in Elon Musk anime fan art than be this person

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

2-4 liters a day of mountain dew nearly killed him. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9140329

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
Even if they took the bromine out that would gently caress you

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

President Beep posted:

fiji water. holy poo poo... :tizzy:

not enough to pay orders of magnitude more than i should for water, let's import it in a pet bottle from an oppressive banana republic that can't even water their own people

Broken Machine posted:

i remember showing my high school chemistry teacher a gatorade bottle with BVO on the label in the 90s, and while he is legit a brilliant motherfucker (in a "why are you teaching in high school" sort of way) he's not, so far as i'm aware, a food scientist

dude pulled a face and said "yeeaaaah...... throw that out and maybe don't drink halogenated hydrocarbons unless you have to for some reason?"

Broken Machine posted:

maple syrup is a fairly big deal around here, and someone sued McDs so they have to provide you with real maple syrup with your pancakes. they only do this if you ask, but it's some local pancake law that you have to provide customers with real syrup

lol at canadians pulling faces when you tell them just how well maple syrup is protected in vermont

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Canada has a million weird insular protective laws and the more you learn about them the scarier and racistier they get

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

such as?

the only ones i'm really familiar with are cancon on the airwaves and specifics about what you're allowed to call "milk" because of quebec, with an asterisk about yellow margarine

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
yeah but canada also throws holocaust deniers in prison so, it;s impossible to say if its bad or not,

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

flakeloaf posted:

such as?

the only ones i'm really familiar with are cancon on the airwaves and specifics about what you're allowed to call "milk" because of quebec, with an asterisk about yellow margarine

they had to rename mac & cheese to kraft dinner because it doesn't meet their cheese requirements (as it isn't actual cheese)

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Shame Boy posted:

also antacids that include calcium as an ingredient like tums, which i found out when i was real high in college and lost track of how many chewable tums tablets i had taken and woke up the next day pissing calcium crystals until one of them got stuck and i had to go to the hospital :toot:

cursed post

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Broken Machine posted:

they had to rename mac & cheese to kraft dinner because it doesn't meet their cheese requirements (as it isn't actual cheese)

that flows from the milk thing; see also "frozen dessert" and "milk beverage"

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

we got the maple strategic reserve too

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Broken Machine posted:

someone link to that bigpeeler thread

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Shame Boy posted:

i had 14 or so stones(they say 5mm is the largest you can pass - it's 7mm) before they figured out they needed to yank out one of my parathyroids

afterwards i had to take 6+ tums a day to keep my calcium levels normal. what a trip.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Broken Machine posted:

then you're in the minority in rural maine

I don't live in rural maine

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
all of maine is rural maine

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

infernal machines posted:

all of maine is rural maine

E I E I O

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan
Portland Maine is a really cool city

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

I don't even get how is Liquid Death supposed to appeal to the watern***as crowd when they're all about broadcasting the act of drinking water to the world and it looks like an energy drink

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muckswirler
Oct 22, 2008

Vomik posted:

Portland Maine is a really cool city

lol