Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Gitro posted:

well maybe they should write good code instead

haha sick it just both deleted local content AND won't start the dl because of disk space, a very powerful combo indeed

Yeah Total War 2 is the one game on steam that I just uninstall and reinstall when it gets an update. No matter how much space I have on my drive it always says it doesn't have enough to start the update, it's quite irritating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

FactsAreUseless posted:

Another reason that Morrowind was a better game than Skyrim. Sure, there were plenty of randomly-named hostile people, but they had reasons to be there. They were slavers or drug traders or you had otherwise stumbled across their illegal operations. Other enemies would go hostile automatically at the end of dialogue. Every fight in MW makes sense, and they're never against someone named Large Bandit.

Me and a friend are playing Morrowind's multiplayer mod (it's his first time ever playing the game) and we've spent hours just talking about this poo poo and why, despite its age, we're both way more engrossed in our, more or less, vanilla morrowind playthrough than we have been with any playthroughs of more recent elderscrolls games excepting maybe our first playthroughs of oblivion each.

Another big factor we keep bringing up is that every town, big or small, has a ton of dudes. Sure, most of them are incidental and there's no real reason to ever talk to them. But they're all there with names and poo poo. Even dudes you run into in the wild have names, they're not just "highwayman". Towns in skyrim feel weirdly empty and sterile.

Anyway; Conan Exiles. Another game I'm playing with a friend. Fun and games, survival stuff. Right up until we go to the tundra to take on the top tier gameplay stuff. Oh man does the tundra suck. There's no stopping cold damage! My cold resistance is maxed and poo poo, and half my HP is gone by the time I get anywhere. And everything here is just so god drat mad. Probably because they're cold all the time. I can barely cross the lake we set up shop in because I have to kill like ten mammoths, thirty wolves and fifty saber tooth tigers every drat time, and then my health runs out because of the cold and you can't heal at all once the cold DoT starts in.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
One thing that always pulled me out of Morrowind's world was the fact that any personality the NPCs had instantly vanished the second you asked them about something.

"Hey der *hic* stranger! Looksh like a good night fer all of *hic* us wid this big ol' bottle o' moonshine! *hic*"

> Asks about 'Dark Elves'

"The Dark Elves of Morrowind are a secretive bunch. They often judge you by your racial heritage more than anything else"

Kashclarke
Feb 13, 2015
Is anyone else having a problem with Moonlighter freezing a bunch since the last update?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Kashclarke posted:

Is anyone else having a problem with Moonlighter freezing a bunch since the last update?

What system? I've played it about a couple hours yesterday on the Switch and didn't encounter any issues.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Morpheus posted:

One thing that always pulled me out of Morrowind's world was the fact that any personality the NPCs had instantly vanished the second you asked them about something.

"Hey der *hic* stranger! Looksh like a good night fer all of *hic* us wid this big ol' bottle o' moonshine! *hic*"

"The Dark Elves of Morrowind are a secretive bunch. They often judge you by your racial heritage more than anything else"

And then Oblivion brought us voice acting where NPCs can become a completely different person from one sentence to the next. Especially those beggars are like boxes of chocolate.

Mierenneuker has a new favorite as of 17:15 on May 8, 2019

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

Cleretic posted:

I'm still only doing everyone's first chapters, but Octopath Traveler is a really fun and relatively light-hearted classic-style JRPG, that I could imagine being fantastic for nearly any age.

...except for one character's story. Primrose, the dancer, has a story that just feels completely out of step with the entire rest of the game in both content and tone. It's just really dark and brutal out of basically nowhere, and deals with subject matter so much more adult than the rest of the game's standard fare that I'm not surprised that in some countries it raised the game's classification rating by itself. I know it did, because it's the only part of the game doing one of the things that gets blipped on the Australian classification message on my game's box.

It's still a decent story, but the rest of the game is totally in-keeping with stuff like Chrono Trigger, Pokemon or one of the softer Final Fantasies, and then you've got this one character whose story feels more at home as a darker turn in something like Dragon Age or The Witcher. It's a crazy level of whiplash.

Going from Prim's story to Cyrus was some loving emotional whiplash. From abused secret princess prostitute kills her pimp to wahh someone stole a *book* from the library was just tonally jarring.

Great game though.

Kashclarke
Feb 13, 2015

Morpheus posted:

What system? I've played it about a couple hours yesterday on the Switch and didn't encounter any issues.

Ah PS4, I would be having a great run in the forest dungeon and it would just shut down, man I gotta get a switch, but everything I would play I already own on PS4

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Kashclarke posted:

Ah PS4, I would be having a great run in the forest dungeon and it would just shut down, man I gotta get a switch, but everything I would play I already own on PS4

I've had Moonlighter crash like twice randomly in one day, this is on PC. Also I'm pretty sure my storage box in the game ate my broom, maybe it's a mimic.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

JackSplater posted:

I find that Gungeon runs are kinda boring if you don't get a good gun in the first couple of chests. Like, the first floor boss is doable with the starting gun, it just takes forever. But every floor after that increases everything's health, so you /need/ a decent gun by the third floor or you're gonna eventually die because you couldn't kill things fast enough to keep your health from being eaten by stray bullets. And it's entirely possible to NOT get a good gun, because there are just so many possible drops.

And then there's the elevator system, where from what I can tell you have to do RNG-heavy challenge runs (bring me 4 keys and 280 dollars at the same time!) in order to unlock the ability to skip floors, which is useless anyways because you miss out on a ton of items doing that.

I play it every once in a while, and yeah it's definitely more skill-based than Isaac, but out of the two a good Isaac run is more fun than a good Gungeon run. Although Afterbirth+ is terrible.

Edit: Gungeon also has the problem where when you die it takes a non-trivial amount of time to restart the run. Isaac is literally 2-3 seconds tops - you watch the death animation play, a screen pops up, you hit a button and you've restarted. Gungeon plays your death, does the clockhair thing which takes 2-3 seconds, then the book opens which takes a couple more seconds, and then finally gives you the option to hit a button to restart, whereupon it plays the elevator level start animation again before you can start moving. It doesn't seem like much, but when you die frequently it adds up very fast. There might be an option in the last update to speed it up some, but I haven't looked into that yet.

Different strokes and all that, but I find that there arent really that many terrible guns in the game (and after all the updates a few of the bad guns have a whole bunch of interactions with other bits which can make them surprisingly strong if you happen to get one of the things it has a synergy with, which admittedly is purely down to the RNG). Even stuff like the T-shirt cannon (which I personally think is one of the fairly bad guns) can be situationally good by knocking enemies into pits. It doesnt do a lot of damage against a boss, but its got range over your base gun. If you get to floor 3 and all the guns you have are the Peashooter, blunderbuss and Casey then yeah, thats not a good run. I'm not saying it cant happen. I just find that i either get something decent or can buy something decent from the shopkeeper by the end of floor 2 far more often than not.

The elevators... Yeah, unlocking those were a pain in the dick. I'm not going to defend that. I 100% think you should have been able to donate keys and cash in increments over multiple runs, instead of each individual requirement having to be done in one go. I will say that each and every one of them seemed impossible when I saw the requirements for it, but I now have them all unlocked. In most cases I'd advise not to try for them unless very early on you realise that you have a great start on getting what you need for it. So for example, dont stress the multiple keys and money requirement unless you have a floor one where you end up walking out with a decent chunk of change and a decent number of keys, or the first chest you opens has the mimic tooth necklace or the drill or something (which let you access chests without using keys). Also the pilot can be useful for conserving keys because of the lock pick. Once I unlocked them I used them once then never again. If you go deep enough the Resourceful Rat gives you a choice of guns so you arent completely unarmed on floor 4 or whatever, but yeah, I much prefer rocking up at the end boss with a full gungeons worth of loot. So while they are a pain to unlock, at least you arent missing much by not having them unlocked I guess?

I like Gungeon, I like Binding of Issac, I'd find it tough to place one much above the other. BoI has a lot more garbage items than Gungeon, but also a lot more ways to outright break a run across your knee. I'd say that the person who was asking originally liked unlocking stuff, and I reckon you unlock stuff more quickly and regularly when starting Gungeon over Isaac, and in addition always has a bunch of reasonably clearly defined goals you can be trying to do when you play. And Its also a lot nicer about letting you know what the gently caress the thing you have just picked up does compared to BoI where I frankly advise new players to have the wiki open on their phone while they play until they at least get a grip of what most of the cards do.

I've platted Isaac, and in Gungeon all I need to do to get the plat (of the base game, gently caress trying to "beat an advanced boss", beat turbos challenge or kill the resourceful rat in the expansions*) is beat bullet hell, and the only character who I still need to unlock and beat their past is The Gunslinger. I was thinking of picking up Nuclear Throne for my next... What are we calling this genre now? Roguelites? Run based game where you can unlock stuff for future runs, but it feels like the only time I've heard anyone talk about it recently opinion has kind of turned a bit negative on it.

*While I'm typing a screed anyway, here are some things that drag Enter the Gungeon down for me. Still a really fun game, but; As mentioned the conditions for unlocking the elevators are too arduous. The 4 junk for one level was such a pain because I would always get to 3 then chests would just start exploding or dropping hearts when shot instead. And Sir Junkeon doesnt count as junk, despite showing as junk in your inventory so the run where I had him and 3 junk was also annoying. However my big one is: I think the alternate floors should stay unlocked once you have visited them once. Getting to the Temple or the Rats Lair is kind of a pain, I would have much preferred it if, once you unlocked the route once, you always had the option of going there for free instead of progressing to the next floor. Also some of the bosses are much harder than others on the same floor. And honestly I could do without the Rat stealing poo poo left on the floor. It would hardly be game breaking if the game let me open a chest, see a good activated item, teleport to the shop to sell my current activated item, then come back to pick it up.

Kashclarke
Feb 13, 2015
You should get nuclear throne if you liked gungeon, I've platted gungeon and getting used to using melee in a room stick shooter might be a hurdle for a bit but it's fun unlocking all the characters

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I shall be real, gungeon is much better with a keyboard if you bind blanks to q and item usage to right mouse button. and after getting all of the loving items, I can safely say: I rolled at the right moment you fucks don't kill me and then give me "your slow reflexes" as the reason i died.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Kashclarke posted:

You should get nuclear throne if you liked gungeon, I've platted gungeon and getting used to using melee in a room stick shooter might be a hurdle for a bit but it's fun unlocking all the characters

I probably will, when Enter the Gungeon came out I was getting tired of BoI, so I flipped a coin and picked Gungeon over Nuclear Throne. Kind of regretted it after a while because pre-updates gungeon was ridiculously stingy with keys and ammo, making getting and using the guns a real pain. But they improved gungeon with patches/free updates and I ended up loving it. Once I'm totally done with Gungeon I'll give it a look.

Adult Illiteracy
Oct 10, 2012
Playing BotW - three sacred beasts beaten, reliable mid-tier gear and over a dozen heart containers, I'm STILL pleasantly surprised when I don't get one-shot by complete random mooks. Bonus points if they hit me from off screen. Fortunately I can continue to wander aimlessly without any sense of where the town I need to find is due to fantasy geography, at least until I run across that guy that likes Korok seeds and has no indication of where he is on the map. I THINK I still like this game, but it feels like it doesn't really care if I do. At least I never have to do that desert boss again.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
A major problem I'm having with the Jimmy and the Pulsating Mass postgame is that I'm really used to leaving the house by the front door, not the closet, so I keep getting a bunch of progress, going to change characters then accidentally triggering the ending, and oops! I haven't saved! Now I'll have to do the second heart prison boss all over again...

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Morpheus posted:

My favorite is the people who are extremely rude until you ask them about [Breton] or [Red Mountain] and then recite the Vivecipedia entry in its entirety.

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009
The last update to Enter the Gungeon made the damage cap higher so bosses die a bit faster and you can always go turbo mode if you find the game too slow. There are still some loading times for the elevators or if you die but on my pc it is usually under seven seconds. They also made it so you are guaranteed one key in the shop as well as a gun if you didn't pick one up on the first level after the boss. The new character Paradox also starts off with one random gun and one random item once you unlock them. Also, just use the robot for all the elevator run requirements (with curse statue as well for extra money) :devil:

it really does suck the rat key costs so much because the rat fight is the best fight in EtG (hell it is in my top three boss fights) but that is why the oubliette exists (why does it cost two keys ugh)

Kaincypher
Apr 24, 2008

MisterBibs posted:

I'm sure its unfamiliarity and my general mood (I'm grumpy and looking into my backlog for something new), but Dying Light is annoying me early on because I'm trying to get a feel for the game (not even sure when I bought it), but the game not orchestrating what is something I can climb onto or not is annoying me. I'm only in the tutorial with the crane, and it was a lowkey pain to find which parts of it the game would let me jump up to.

It really opens up the world when you get the grappling hook. I get why they kinda save it for late-game, because it totally trivializes traveling through even the most obnoxious terrain and/or enemy clumps. Although it does have a cooldown to prevent unlimited hook-spamming (which I totally would do).

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
I just don't understand why you need damage caps on bosses that are already HP sponges to begin with. Kind of killed my interest in gungeon and definitely made me drop dead cells

It's a rouge lite, the whole point is that sometimes you get dealt poo poo hands and sometimes you get dealt amazing items that could break the game. Oh we can't have that, let's neuter the fun stuff so you only get to experience the pain of a poo poo hand and never the joy of a lucky hand

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Minor issues but they still bug me.

Metro Exodus

I don't like that I have to hold down the button to open the containers- I'm pretty sure that 2033 and Last Light were just one button press but it has been a while since I played them so I might just be wrong on that.

I wish the compass arrow was flipped around, it looks like a dagger but you're supposed to follow the handle of it.

You're actually supposed to follow the smaller red arrow on it. It felt kinda counter-intuitive to me.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

drat

Catpain Slack
Apr 1, 2014

BAAAAAAH

RareAcumen posted:

Metro Exodus

I don't like that I have to hold down the button to open the containers- I'm pretty sure that 2033 and Last Light were just one button press but it has been a while since I played them so I might just be wrong on that.

I wish the compass arrow was flipped around, it looks like a dagger but you're supposed to follow the handle of it.

You're actually supposed to follow the smaller red arrow on it. It felt kinda counter-intuitive to me.

what the gently caress

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Wow nier automata is really good at making you feel like even more of a piece of poo poo

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

oldpainless posted:

Wow nier automata is really good at making you feel like even more of a piece of poo poo

That's what makes the world go 'round, and Yoko Taro spins your world like a top

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

oldpainless posted:

posted this in the wrong thread

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

RareAcumen posted:

Metro Exodus

My dragging things down with Exodus is they finally made an open world Metro game and took you out of the Metro. Also the story isn't that great because you never spend long enough in one spot to get invested in anything that's going on.

Anyway, I've been playing Days Gone and just ran into a story beat that didn't seem that well thought out or maybe is a remnant from an older version of the story for how poorly it worked. In the game's setting there is a cult called "Rest in Peace" or "RIP" or the "Rippers" and early on the game's story revolves around how some Rippers catch your buddy and severely burn his arm with a blowtorch. As the game progresses you learn that the Rippers are looking for two dudes who used to be in a motorcycle club (the main character and his friend with the burned arm.) Eventually you meet the leader of the Rippers and he reveals why he hates the two of you so much. Basically he was also in the MC but was kicked out and the leader of the club (who is not the main character) removed his club tattoos, including a large back piece, with a blowtorch. You're not given the context of why that happened but that is still a really hosed up thing to do to a person.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Adult Illiteracy posted:

Playing BotW - three sacred beasts beaten, reliable mid-tier gear and over a dozen heart containers, I'm STILL pleasantly surprised when I don't get one-shot by complete random mooks. Bonus points if they hit me from off screen. Fortunately I can continue to wander aimlessly without any sense of where the town I need to find is due to fantasy geography, at least until I run across that guy that likes Korok seeds and has no indication of where he is on the map. I THINK I still like this game, but it feels like it doesn't really care if I do. At least I never have to do that desert boss again.

Did you find the Fairy Fountains to upgrade your armour?

Also the big korok eventually winds up in Kokiri Forest and stays there the rest of the game.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

muscles like this! posted:

Anyway, I've been playing Days Gone and just ran into a story beat that didn't seem that well thought out or maybe is a remnant from an older version of the story for how poorly it worked. In the game's setting there is a cult called "Rest in Peace" or "RIP" or the "Rippers" and early on the game's story revolves around how some Rippers catch your buddy and severely burn his arm with a blowtorch. As the game progresses you learn that the Rippers are looking for two dudes who used to be in a motorcycle club (the main character and his friend with the burned arm.) Eventually you meet the leader of the Rippers and he reveals why he hates the two of you so much. Basically he was also in the MC but was kicked out and the leader of the club (who is not the main character) removed his club tattoos, including a large back piece, with a blowtorch. You're not given the context of why that happened but that is still a really hosed up thing to do to a person.

from most of the things i've seen, days gone was not a very well thought out game at all

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

spit on my clit posted:

from most of the things i've seen, days gone was not a very well thought out game at all

If these incredibly minor and sometimes funny problems are the best this guy could capture for a compilation video then it must be drat solid!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
*video of a fire effect disappearing when you get close and it looks kind of weird* I AM DELETING THIS GAME FOREVER AND NEVER PLAYING IT AGAIN

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Don't buy an entire game just because it has an easter egg.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

CJacobs posted:

*video of a fire effect disappearing when you get close and it looks kind of weird* I AM DELETING THIS GAME FOREVER AND NEVER PLAYING IT AGAIN

no you see the days gone thread is where you go to defend the game this is where we all poo poo on the game

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Haven't played it. It looks fun, though a bit flawed. I might pick it up!

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I posted something nice about DC Universe Online in the other thread so I'm going to make a complaint about it here.

As with many MMOs the game has a lot of instances that are made to be run multiplayer. Every so often, a major boss fight will start with the boss blocking the entrance behind you. If you are running behind when this happens, you are cut off from the fight entirely. Also if you are defeated during the fight, you spawn in front of the entrance which is now closed. There was a point in an 8-person raid where seven of us were stuck behind a force field watching our one over-leveled compatriot try to very slowly solo Braniac, though in that case the bad guy was kind enough to occasionally teleport to the other side of the barrier and we got to fight him.

The only way to really get back in is if everyone goes down, then the barrier goes away and you can all enter the boss area again- this actually isn't so bad since I think the boss doesn't regenerate its health. Like, we eventually got through the raid. It was fun. But I cannot imagine why you would design a multiplayer area in such a way that means everyone has to be as fast as the person who's charging full speed (and there's ALWAYS someone like that).

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

muscles like this! posted:

I guess the developers watched Sons of Anarchy, where literally the same thing happens (season 1, episode 5).

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I've heard there's a lot of Sons of Anarchy influence in there, which... is a choice.

Adult Illiteracy
Oct 10, 2012

grittyreboot posted:

Did you find the Fairy Fountains to upgrade your armour?

Also the big korok eventually winds up in Kokiri Forest and stays there the rest of the game.

I haven't, actually. I feel like I'm playing this game wrong, largely due to my stubborn 'as the crow flies' method of travel. But the game seems to support this, so I'm doubly confused.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I know the answer is "get good" but it would be great if Nuclear Throne would let me skip world 1 because jfc these 3 levels are getting old.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Every roguelike/lite I've ever played

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Len posted:

I know the answer is "get good" but it would be great if Nuclear Throne would let me skip world 1 because jfc these 3 levels are getting old.

there's a way to skip from world 1 to... 5, I think? Can't remember the trick and wouldn't recommend it because you'll be really underlevelled but it's there