Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
i wouldn't be surprised if they were also including stuff like buying soap and shaving supplies in there too but lol i'm not reading that poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Also remember that this 'average' American spending is mostly coming from the superrich who can easily spunk out hundreds of thousands per month each. Medians are not always the best statistic of choice but then USA Today already knew that.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

I make less than this total as a student.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I don't buy any liquids to consume and subsist entirely on licking morning dew from leaves as our great forefathers intended :colbert:

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Woof Blitzer posted:

I make less than this total as a student.

No wonder you're poor. You should eat and groom yourself less :)

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

https://twitter.com/MikeGravel/status/1125929469129236480

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

$18,000 a year is almost my entire income

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

lmao okay so mike gravel is the non-essential item "lunch"

that means that I'm "personal grooming"

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
I'm rideshares, which I get because I cannot afford a personal vehicle and need to get places

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

The best part of this is they're saying people spend more monthly on "non-essentials" than I make monthly working for the richest company in the history of the planet lmao

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Evilreaver posted:

I'm rideshares, which I get because I cannot afford a personal vehicle and need to get places

I'm rideshare so I dont drunk drive when I go on 2-4 dates a month worth of resteraunts

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I'm rideshare including public transit probably

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Looking at the original lovely writeup:

quote:

The survey revealed that Americans make an average of five impulse purchases a month – for a total of $109 – but the majority (58 percent) also feel there are other important things they can’t afford.

Like, idk, health insurance or some dumb poo poo like that.

Also this is actually native advertising for life insurance if you read past the first like, 3 paragraphs:

quote:

For those who don’t have life insurance, the top reason for not having it was they thought it was too expensive (52 percent).

“People tend to overestimate the cost of life insurance,” said Ladder Co-founder Laura Hale. “Trading off a couple of smaller short-term purchases per month can support a monthly policy payment. It can give you the longer term satisfaction that comes from making sure your family is protected.”

The survey found that only 10 percent of respondents know that they could get life insurance in place in less than 15 minutes online.

And of those who have life insurance, 29 percent feel they don’t have enough coverage.

“Term life insurance is easy to apply for now, thanks to technology,” said Hale. “You can get instant decisions on fully-underwritten policies at competitive rates. People want to do the right thing for their families. Now, it can happen in minutes.”

Wowie, I could have that sweet satisfaction that only comes with buying term life insurance

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

There's also another helpful infographic:

Ah yes, the three genders: Needs Improvement, Without Life Insurance and With Life Insurance.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i wouldn't be surprised if they were also including stuff like buying soap and shaving supplies in there too but lol i'm not reading that poo poo

Yeah man it's almost like its a disingenuous and sensationalist piece of propaganda designed by a cynical corporate entity to appeal to a core demographic of reactionary scolding boomers who want to blame the youth for the hosed up material conditions late capitalism has thrust upon them rather than acknowledge their own complicity in that outcome

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
Studies show that 100% of billionaires fritter away much of their income on nonessentials:
- Yachts
- Private jets
- Luxury apartments
- Call girls
- Drugs
- Having their heads remain attached to their necks

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Alot of this bothers me but what bothers me most is putting lunch, takeout, drinks, and resteraunt meals in different categories, like cmon

Serf
May 5, 2011

i don't even make $1497 a month at my full time job so the joke's on them

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
It's true though. All you need to do is go to work and then go home, eat some nutritious gruel and go to sleep so you're productive at work tomorrow.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Only rich people are allowed entertainment of any kind.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Lambert posted:

Or a haircut.

Also, :lol: at needing life insurance

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Iron Crowned posted:

Or a haircut.

Also, :lol: at needing life insurance

I can get a nice haircut at a Kurdish barber for 10-15€. Maybe America doesn't have Kurdish barbers?

Serf
May 5, 2011

i get one haircut roughly every 3 months for $10 at the same guy who has cut my hair since i was a toddler

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Serf posted:

i get one haircut roughly every 3 months for $10 at the same guy who has cut my hair since i was a toddler

Yeah but I have a very big head and thick hair so I have to pay more.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
Fast Company puts the global subscription box market at 2.6 billion, which is interesting if Americans alone are spending 30 billion, like USA Today is claiming:

https://www.fastcompany.com/90248232/inside-the-2-6-billion-subscription-box-wars

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lambert posted:

Or lunch. Suck down your nutri-paste, prole! the titans of capital demand your labor!

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
What's amazing is that the first misinfographic is actually put together from data compiled by a SV startup called Ladder (the same company as put together the second misinfographic) and that the purpose of both is to convince you to slash other expenses so you can afford their life insurance.

"For just the cost of the daily salves you use to numb the anxiety of historically awful inequality and the hell dystopia white fuccboi 'engineers' have created, you could have the peace of mind of a financial instrument that is literally worthless unless you die!"

gently caress Silicon Valley, gently caress tech bros, gently caress "disruption," guillotine these smug fucks.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
I like how the image for "impulse purchases" is a shirt. clothing is now nonessential!

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

gey muckle mowser posted:

I like how the image for "impulse purchases" is a shirt. clothing is now nonessential!

You will be content with the two uniforms supplied, citizen

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I wear nothing but rashguards

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
aw goddammit, beaten

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Jerry Cotton posted:

I can get a nice haircut at a Kurdish barber for 10-15€. Maybe America doesn't have Kurdish barbers?

I've never heard of Kurds being known for opening barber shops so I guess not, but don't worry we have corporate chains that will serve the same purpose with much lower quality

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Thanatosian posted:

Fast Company puts the global subscription box market at 2.6 billion, which is interesting if Americans alone are spending 30 billion, like USA Today is claiming:

https://www.fastcompany.com/90248232/inside-the-2-6-billion-subscription-box-wars

I couldn't find any information on the actual raw data other than it was an online voluntary survey that happened over the course of only like 24 hours and involved 2000 people, so I'd imagine they got it from one of those "we'll give you $0.001 for each survey you complete!" sites so it self-selects for morons who think they're getting free money, and I'd imagine the venn diagram between them and the kind of people who buy 5 different subscription boxes full of funko pops is pretty much a circle

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Serf posted:

The real pro move is to start going bald. See? No hair to cut. :eng101:

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
I spent $20 on a hair clipper set like 6-7 years ago and haven't gone to a barber since. having short hair owns.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Have you considered that instead of ever purchasing anything, you could have health insurance and literally nothing else going for your life?

Really :thunk: here about why people would choose to do things in life when they could instead remain at all times in a hovel with no car, no shower, no entertainment, and eating nothing but what they can grow in the back yard..... but with health insurance!

Serf
May 5, 2011

mojo1701a posted:

The real pro move is to start going bald. See? No hair to cut. :eng101:

i have thick, luxurious hair that just won't seem to go away

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

The factory farm creates food so dangerous that Tyson is now pushing it's chicken strips through X-Rays before they leave the factory.

Tyson posted:

We have discontinued use of the specific equipment believed to be associated with the metal fragments, and we will be installing metal-detecting X-ray machinery to replace the plant’s existing metal-detection system.”

Do we even have an FDA anymore?

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

I remember a million years ago when I was a kid I had a diabetic friend and she would buy a little pack of multiple insulin bottles for $30. It was exactly $30 for either 3 or 5 vials, can't remember the size of the pack.

Anyways I have not known anyone with diabetes since then and haven't actually read any numbers so uh let's just see what the prices look like now

https://www.newsweek.com/caravan-americans-crossing-canadian-border-get-affordable-medical-care-1417582

Oh loving cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

:coolfish:

*eats vitamin sludge which i can only afford after 12 hours of grueling labor per day*

*sleeps and lives in a literal prison cell except the walls are covered in ads for the vitamin sludge*

*will be unceremoniously tossed into an incinerator if i become sick or injured*

me: we should improve society somewhat...

my robo boss: YET YOU PARTICIPATE IN SOCIETY....CURIOUS. DO YOU DESIRE ITEMS NONESSENTIAL FOR YOUR CONTINUED EXISTENCE? CONSIDER HOW MUCH MORE VITAMIN SLUDGE YOU COULD ACQUIRE INSTEAD.