Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

If they put out 1 tetris 99 caliber game a year it's worth it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

WHORENDOUS posted:

what games should i get? i like stardew valley.

Get My Time At Portia when/if it gets properly updated. Or just buy it on the PS4 if you have that. Slightly less buggy there. No idea about pc.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

I still really want leaderboards for the NES games like they originally announced.

Also, Balloon Fight 99.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

snes games on switch has got to be announced at e3 with like, smw and dkc released that week right. there's no way it gets to July and it's still like "here's festers quest and a mappy rom hack"

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

We'll get a year or two of Game Boy games first.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

MechaSeinfeld posted:

snes games on switch has got to be announced at e3 with like, smw and dkc released that week right. there's no way it gets to July and it's still like "here's festers quest and a mappy rom hack"

SNES games available... On the new Switch Pro!!

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

SelenicMartian posted:

The Kirby Star Allies channel has just posted its last message :(

Jambyebye forever

I really loved playing through the game coop when it came out, and still occasionally pop in to try the new characters they put in. They really did put in a LOT of love and effort for the Kirby franchise into the game, but man I hope the next game runs better and is like... a bit better? They made the levels really wide and easy to compensate for having 4 players at a time. I like Kirby games and singleplayer this is definitely not one of the best ones.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

They should make the SMW announcement like the Super Mario Maker 2 announcement but not be able to pull up any creation menus and be like "It's Super Mario World, it's already perfect, dummy."

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Lol if you're not using the twitch subscription promotion to get a free year of Nintendo online.

It's not free if I need a subscription to some other lovely service I don't want

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

You want twitch prime, join the famouranth

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

We'll get a year or two of Game Boy games first.

please...just no more nes games.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Can't wait for the "Please, no more lovely SNES games, where's Quest 64 and Charlie's Blast Territory?" posts.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

There are good NES games left but I don't think any that aren't licensed titles or third party games they aren't likely to get. Maybe they'll put Final Fantasy on there since it was on the NES Classic.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

The Kins posted:

where's Quest 64 and Charlie's Blast Territory?

good question imo

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I don't want any nes games

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Andrast posted:

It's not free if I need a subscription to some other lovely service I don't want

That other lovely service also comes free with a subscription to a different service that you can get for free

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Andrast posted:

I don't want any nes games

I would like literally all of the NES games. Every single one. There's no reason they can't offer this for 1st-party titles.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I would like literally all of the NES games. Every single one. There's no reason they can't offer this for 1st-party titles.

Apart from the first party titles which were licensed(like Tetris) I'm having trouble thinking of any that aren't out now. Though yeah would have been better if they released them all from the start.

I guess next month they can finally give us Pit Fighter, Donky Kong 3, and Donkey Kong Jr Math

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Apart from the first party titles which were licensed(like Tetris) I'm having trouble thinking of any that aren't out now. Though yeah would have been better if they released them all from the start.

People would have finished with them all during the free trial and not bothered to subscribe.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Quantum of Phallus posted:

People would have finished with them all during the free trial and not bothered to subscribe.

Clarification: Better for me, personally

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Shakedown Hawaii is real good. It’s basically GTA 1 and 2 gameplay but remastered and modernized (as far as I can tell anyway, I’m in the early game yet).

I saw people complaining about manual driving mode, but if you played GTA1/2, it’s the exact same driving setup, so I can only assume those complaining about it didn’t play those games? Either way, if you played those games, driving will be second nature to you. The driving/physics model seems good as well, which is important to nail in a game so driving focused

I haven’t messed much with the twin stick mode, as the early missions are simple enough that walking up to people and hitting attack and letting the lock-on do its thing has been enough. I imagine later when things get more hectic, the twin stick control will be worth learning.

I liked RCR, but it never grabbed me in any real way, and I wasn’t sure why. It had everything I should like in a GTA clone, but it didn’t come together for me. Shakedown Hawaii is clicking with me and I realize it’s what I wished RCR was all along.

If you enjoyed GTA1/2/Chinatown Wars, or RCR, you owe it to yourself to get Shakedown Hawaii.

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

In spite of how he's dressed, he ain't nobody's fool.
RCR was a little too overly referential and it drived me insane, so the more self contained humor is honestly a breath of fresh air.

The new art style and destructible environment stuff is super fun, gameplay-wise is very similar but it's really laid back and blow poo poo up kind of game.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
The Xbox one and 360 shouldn't count as backwards compatable as its emulation for only a few select titles. When I booted up my copy of burnout 2 on my 360 it didn't feel very 'compatable' when the rain effects in slowed the game down to a crawl either.

The PS3 at least had full compatibility for PS1 discs, even though the PS2 compatability was quickly dropped.

Unrelatedly it's wrong to describe MonsterBoy as a 'spiritual sequel' to WonderBoy/monsterWorld as the series is a convoluted mess of trademarks and the newest installment using a different name is par for the course. Theres reoccurring characters and everything, its a straight sequel.

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

Yeah the 360 backwards compatable is very hit-or-miss: Silent Hill 2 is backwards compatable unless you're in PAL country, for some reason.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Do this new Shakedown: Hawaii and the RCR it's based on have anything to do with River City Ransom or is that coincidence? I've played none of the three but goons seem quite enthused about the new one so I'm curious

Haven't actually picked up the switch in a while, because I prefer docked play but my furniture hasn't arrived yet. Can't wait to slob out in front of the TV on a giant pillow and play with God's Console again

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

PrinnySquadron posted:

Yeah the 360 backwards compatable is very hit-or-miss: Silent Hill 2 is backwards compatable unless you're in PAL country, for some reason.

Same with Fatal Frame/Project Zero

Silent Hill 4 was the worst though, it worked fine except everyone had these hosed up face seams where the textures didn't mesh right that made my skin crawl.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Ciaphas posted:

Do this new Shakedown: Hawaii and the RCR it's based on have anything to do with River City Ransom or is that coincidence? I've played none of the three but goons seem quite enthused about the new one so I'm curious

Haven't actually picked up the switch in a while, because I prefer docked play but my furniture hasn't arrived yet. Can't wait to slob out in front of the TV on a giant pillow and play with God's Console again

River City Ransom is a sidescrolling beat 'em up advenure/rpg.

Retro City and Shakedown are love letters to those kind of games, with GTA smashed up in there. I'm sure there are parts to Shakedown that directly mimic River City (as that happened to a ton of games in Retro).

Short answer: yes

Long answer: yes but kind of.

Kikkoman
Nov 28, 2002

Posing along since 2005

MechaSeinfeld posted:

please...just no more nes games.

I just went through my NES collection/wishlist, there's there's tons of stuff I'd still like to see:
  • Double Dragon 2
  • Crash n the Boys
  • Lolo 2 & 3
  • Rockin Kats
  • City Connection
  • Kung Fu
  • Legend of Kage
  • Dragon Warriors
  • Bubble Bobble
  • Bionic Commando
  • Deja Vu
  • Maniac Mansion
  • Nightshade
  • Adventure Island 3

And that's not counting stuff like the Castlevanias coming in a separate collection (right?) or Crystalis in the SNK 40th anniversary package, or all the licensed properties (Ultra's TMNT, Capcom's Disney, Nintendo's Popeye)

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Crash n the Boys sounds like an early 90s WCW wrestling staple right before the NwO showed up

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Kikkoman posted:

[*]City Connection

What's your official diagnosis, again? Clearly there's something wrong with you.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Someone on resetera did make a comprehensive list of which first party Nintendo games were not on the service yet.

quote:

First party games that can be released/were released in VC:

Clu Clu Land D
Devil World
Donkey Kong 3
Donkey Kong Jr. Math
Donkey Kong Original Edition
EarthBound Beginnings
Mario Bros. Classic Edition
Mach Rider
The Mysterious Murasame Castle
NES Play Action Football
Pinball
Urban Champion
Volleyball
Zoda's Revenge: Star Tropics II

Zapper/R.O.B./Power Pad Required:

Barker Bill's Trick Shooting (Zapper required, CBS license also required)
Duck Hunt (Zapper required)
Gumshoe (Zapper required)
Hogan's Alley (Zapper required)
To the Earth (Zapper required)
Wild Gunman (Zapper required)
Short Order & Eggsplode (Power Pad required)
Gyromite (R.O.B. required)
Stack-Up (R.O.B. required)

License required:
10-Yard Fight (Irem Software Engineering license)
Kung Fu (Irem Software Engineering license)
Popeye (King Features Syndicate license)
SimCity (Electronic Arts license)
Smash Table Tennis (Konami license)
Tetris (Tetris Company license)
Tetris 2 (Tetris Company license)
Yoshi's Cookie (Blue Planet Software license)

Kikkoman
Nov 28, 2002

Posing along since 2005
Listen I'm not saying they're all masterpieces, but I love booting up City Connection for a few minutes every six months or so

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

How hard would it be to make a joy-con mimic a zapper? I would be down to play Duck Hunt casually.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Andrast posted:

You don't have Amazon prime?

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

100YrsofAttitude posted:

How hard would it be to make a joy-con mimic a zapper? I would be down to play Duck Hunt casually.

Not very, there's a few games that already offer a sort of gyro mouse. I don't know how good the experience would be--I'd rather have a Dunk Hunt VR that uses the blaster.

Actually if I have some free time this weekend I might try throwing something together in the Labo Toolbox, now that I think about it.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I was absolutely blown away when I was at a friend's house, playing his WiiU, and saw Duck Hunt on there. I had no idea they actually updated and ported that to VC :eyepop:

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

pixaal posted:

Nope

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Kikkoman posted:

Listen I'm not saying they're all masterpieces, but I love booting up City Connection for a few minutes every six months or so

I like the music for that game and that cat was the bane of my existence during that game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zgd59EEgDY

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

asecondduck posted:

You know what, I'd loving buy it in the hopes that sales would be good enough for them to port Peace Walker next (they used the same engine right?)

Just get it on the Vita

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

pixaal posted:

Literally no point in Canada:
Launch day delivery: doesn't work
One day delivery: doesn't work
Two day delivery: i've gotten that with normal free shipping
Amazon Prime Videos: selection is trash aside from three shows.
Amazon Music: same selection as Google
Alexa: tons of poo poo that won't work in Canada but does in America
Amazon Groceries: Pricing is completely nonsensical

Twitch Prime "loot": almost entirely PC/eSports focused. :flaccid:

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 18:03 on May 8, 2019