Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Pre ordered this movie on Blu Ray and watched it the second it arrived. Spider Verse is one of the most daring and original animated films of the decade. So glad it won an Oscar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Peter slowly putting up his dukes in front of Tombstone will never not be funny.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I didn't recognise Tombstone and wondered what Solomon Grundy was doing here.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
It's been years since I rewatched a movie this much.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
I was discussing superhero movies the other day at a party, and my host mentioned that he really liked what he saw of Spider-Verse, but he'd had to leave because it was too intense for his 4-5 year old daughter (although some of her peers were fine with it). He said he's hoping to try it again later.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I can easily imagine getting overwhelmed by this movie, sounds right.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
My friend took his 4-year-old daughter to it. I asked him if she was freaked out by Prowler because I, a 40-year-old man definitely was, and he said she had no problem with him but was terrified of Doctor Octopus.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Phylodox posted:

My friend took his 4-year-old daughter to it. I asked him if she was freaked out by Prowler because I, a 40-year-old man definitely was, and he said she had no problem with him but was terrified of Doctor Octopus.

Her friends call her "'Liv"

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

My then 3.5 year old went 3 times in the theater. She has watched the Blu-ray as many times and it’s her favorite movie. She was a little scared the first time through of Green Goblin and Prowler, but a little talking her through it and physical comfort got her past it to the point she doesn’t care any more.

I’m very glad this has overtaken Frozen.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

wdarkk posted:

I was discussing superhero movies the other day at a party, and my host mentioned that he really liked what he saw of Spider-Verse, but he'd had to leave because it was too intense for his 4-5 year old daughter (although some of her peers were fine with it). He said he's hoping to try it again later.

I can see that. A movie where the main hero gets capped in the first 10 minutes is pretty intense, plus the villain designs are legitimately scary. I tense up every time Prowler is on screen and I'm a veteran in my mid 30s.

Kids movies can be weirdly jarring and intense and you never quite know how any given kid will react. A friend of mine took their kids to see the first Wreck it Ralph - one kid was fine, the other one had nightmares about the the Turbo-alien bug abomination for weeks.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Mat Cauthon posted:

I can see that. A movie where the main hero gets capped in the first 10 minutes is pretty intense, plus the villain designs are legitimately scary. I tense up every time Prowler is on screen and I'm a veteran in my mid 30s.

Kids movies can be weirdly jarring and intense and you never quite know how any given kid will react. A friend of mine took their kids to see the first Wreck it Ralph - one kid was fine, the other one had nightmares about the the Turbo-alien bug abomination for weeks.

Prowler’s leitmotif is what does it. That howl.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

There's also something unnerving about how he moves too.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

SirSamVimes posted:

There's also something unnerving about how he moves too.

Counter-timed framing?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

DandyLion posted:

Counter-timed framing?

I don't know what that is, but to me, it's the way he moves.

Prowler's movement is very cat-like. He leaps, he bounds, he pounces, going from stock still to full threat display, claws out, in an instant.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

There's a feature on the blu ray which talks about the villains but I can't recall exactly what was said about Prowler and his motion etc.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

ConfusedUs posted:

I don't know what that is, but to me, it's the way he moves.

Prowler's movement is very cat-like. He leaps, he bounds, he pounces, going from stock still to full threat display, claws out, in an instant.

Its when the animation frames skip a frame every other shot in opposite sequence with their surroundings/other characters (for the purpose of making the motions stand out). I thought they even talked about it in the blue ray special features making of vid.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

DandyLion posted:

Its when the animation frames skip a frame every other shot in opposite sequence with their surroundings/other characters (for the purpose of making the motions stand out). I thought they even talked about it in the blue ray special features making of vid.

I thought that's what it was, but didn't want to assume!

Peter B and Miles are animated in this way during the Alchemax sequence until they finally, literally get in sync with each other during the final web-swinging lesson.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
I finally got around to watching this, and holy poo poo is it great. I haven't read any of the comics but I loved the homages to Raimi's trilogy(especially the dance) and caught a couple from the MCU Spider-Man. I think I discounted it originally because it's animation and I don't watch many animated films nowadays, but there's really no way this could possibly work in live action.

Spider-Man Noir and Peter Porker definitely stole the show for me, but all the characters are great.

I don't buy many films on Blu Ray these days but I'm definitely doing so.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Asnorban posted:

My then 3.5 year old went 3 times in the theater. She has watched the Blu-ray as many times and it’s her favorite movie. She was a little scared the first time through of Green Goblin and Prowler, but a little talking her through it and physical comfort got her past it to the point she doesn’t care any more.

I’m very glad this has overtaken Frozen.

This closely resembles my daughter's reaction to the movie. Except we didn't watch it in theater, just bought it for download. I think the close up of the spider bite affected her the most though, as she now freaks out a little any time she sees a spider. She also calls spiders "spider-man" She will see one crawling up the side of a patio chair and go "eeeeeeee! Daddy look! Spider-man!" while excitedly pointing. Might have been a mistake to let her watch it at such a young age, but she loves it so much now that she's asking for it as much as that drat paw patrol. Rather watch some spider-mans than have to sit through more misadventures of Chickaletta.

Vvvvvv hahahahaha, holy poo poo, you're absolutely right!

B33rChiller fucked around with this message at 08:43 on May 18, 2019

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

B33rChiller posted:

Rather watch some spider-mans than have to sit through more misadventures of Chickaletta.

Not to mention the troubling fact that police powers have been granted to a bunch of puppies with some likely-illegal equipment, whose only oversight is a 10 year old who is mysteriously wealthy enough to bankroll all this weird gadgetry.

I'm waiting for the very special episode where Chase finally bites a kid and gets Put Down by the County. But hey, better the kid watch that than Blaze and the Monster Machines; hiring shmorky as voice talent would be a loving upgrade for that.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I miss 90s shows where the heroes were resistance groups in a world ruled by a childish supervillain and the cops were evil robots.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I miss 90s shows where the heroes were resistance groups in a world ruled by a childish supervillain and the cops were evil robots.

Be the change you want to see in the world.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
As a teacher, I have never cried in front of my students.

Then I had some downtime with my students and we watched Into the Spiderverse. Getting to the part where Stan Lee cameos and goes, "I'm going to miss him" and have a bunch of my students yell, "I miss you too Stan!" almost got me there.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

What about "You're the best of all of us Miles. You're on you way. Just keep goin. Just keep goin."

Inspector Gesicht fucked around with this message at 15:28 on May 18, 2019

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Spider-verse makes me tear up at multiple points. There’s something in its DNA that just makes me so emotional about Miles and his journey. It’s amazing. :’)

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

I keep this thread bookmarked just in case of new reactions to watching it :)

Yellow Ant
Feb 28, 2016
I just heard that some Cineplex theatres will be showing Spider-Verse again today May 18th. Another chance to see it in theatres!

Edit - Sorry, it looks like it may have only been an early morning showing :/

Yellow Ant fucked around with this message at 21:12 on May 18, 2019

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

The_Doctor posted:

Spider-verse makes me tear up at multiple points. There’s something in its DNA that just makes me so emotional about Miles and his journey. It’s amazing. :’)

I've said it before, but man, the OG Peter memorial scene/Stan cameo just HIT me right in the chest when it came to emotion. Both Mile's Dad and Aaron's speeches really got me too, and then the final line of "You could wear the mask. If you didn't know that, I hope you do now." just killed me.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
For me, the lines that get me are "It doesn't fit..." "It always does eventually."

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I just bought this film for a second viewing and I think it is even better the second time because I am now really studying the animation and absorbing it without being swept up for the ride.

It is a phenomenal film and I would even say perfect. It does things with animation that very few ever have and the level of attention to every aspect is just sublime. This is a whole film of 'bumping the lamp' to me. The ingenuity, the originality, and the emotional connections all make for some incredible story telling.

Miles journey is so earned and the payoff so deserved that you cannot help but cheer during that leap of faith. It is probably the most beautiful shot in the whole film and this is a whole film of beautiful shots.

I am so glad I got to see this in the cinema and so happy that I own it and can watch it whenever. It is truly magnificent. :D

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

This got posted in the BSS movie thread and it's delightful.

They really pulled out all the stops. :allears:

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Make an entire Spider-man movie but let that lady play every role. Especially J.J.J.

The_Doctor posted:

There are so many heartfelt moments, even just in passing that the entire movie tugs on your heartstrings even while it's leaving you astonished.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
One of my favorite bits was Miles and Gwen at the end, when he's kind of awkwardly talking to her before she leaves.

I was super worried they were going to rush some dumb romance angle and instead Miles reaches out to her and says "Friends". And it's a total payoff from her origin stuff where she's closed herself off because of not being able to save her Peter.

It's such an :3: moment. Totally heartwarming.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 04:15 on May 21, 2019

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Mat Cauthon posted:

There are so many heartfelt moments, even just in passing that the entire movie tugs on your heartstrings even while it's leaving you astonished.

Somebody at work posted this article about the "leap of faith" scene and it's really well-written. I got goosebumps just reading it.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Jet Jaguar posted:

Somebody at work posted this article about the "leap of faith" scene and it's really well-written. I got goosebumps just reading it.

I like the tweet thread linked in that article. It describes the original ending to the scene and what we got on screen is so much better. Makes for a good lesson about the pitfalls of subversion for subversion's sake, and really showcases how critical hard-knock editing is for labors of love like this film.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Instead of a sequel they should do a shot for shot remake the 2003 MTV series with this animation quality and style.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I'd rather get another movie about Miles and his specific and unique struggles as a young black-Latino superhero in NYC as opposed to even more stuff about Peter Parker, personally.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Darko posted:

I'd rather get another movie about Miles and his specific and unique struggles as a young black-Latino superhero in NYC as opposed to even more stuff about Peter Parker, personally.

Very much so. Honestly, I don’t even want more Gwen.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

Nah, gimme more Gwen. I'd love to see their arc of movies be Miles and Gwen as just platonic friends since they have pretty good chemistry as friends and a good male/female non-romantic friendship isn't something you see often in movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
They were pretty clearly building up a romantic arc between the two. Like they end the movie platonic but they're both into each other and I expect that to be taken further in the sequel.