Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Drogon easily winning and beating Euron and KL’e defenses is going to be painted as a “because Dany doesn’t care about keeping innocents alive” and not “lets use our dragons smartly and attack from above / our of LOS from the ballista” and it’s going to rule.

The unsullied going on a rampage and the Dothraki going on a rape fest is..... actually what I was expecting for a long time. Her using the Dothraki army with no clear expectation of how she meant to reward them in any way that would satisfy their culture has been a question the show has not really addressed. To reach KL and let them loose basically prove Cersei’s fear mongering 100% right which is an amazing direction to take the show.

The show is literally ending with “Cersei was right”.

Been saying it for a while now, but Cersei is the only person since like Season 1 to be like "Hey, the Dothraki are our version of Mongols/Huns. What are they just gonna help Dany get the throne, then they'll either go back to Essos or start farming here?"

Also lol at the idea of white people not doing any horrible poo poo in the series between The Mountain's army (by Tywin's orders), The Boltons (not just Ramsay, stuff is done by his order), The Wildlings (their raids, and especially Thenns), The Greyjoys (they basically wipe out Winterfell on top of their other raids), the Freys, Joffrey, the Hill Tribes (kinda I guess, you see them doing raids and torturing soldiers after the battle), Those Brotherhood guys that attacked the settlement, etc. Hell, even the Night's Watch are basically the SS stormtroopers of Westeros if you're talking to a Wildling. The only real monsters to commit large-scale atrocities shown on Essos are The Dothraki and the city slavers, unless I'm missing some big standouts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo

Raccooon posted:

Episode one is going to have white southern dudes raping some of their slaves.

Then attempt a redemption arc for them.

I am from the South and please don't make this show. Please

I recently lived in the South for a few years and holy loving poo poo I can't overstate this enough

Slutitution fucked around with this message at 04:45 on May 8, 2019

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

4 years ago

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Lmao. Disney? Stop?

Strap the gently caress in, friend.

https://twitter.com/erikdavis/status/1125802890310742016?s=12

Hey Avatar is coming out in 2021. I guess it’s true to find it we need to look under the sea.

TheKevman
Dec 13, 2003
I thought Mad Max: Fury Road was
:mediocre:
so you should probably ignore anything else I say

:barf: seriously gently caress you disney (quickly goes to check the price of disney stock)

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy
Regarding the surrender bells making Dany go nuts: the only sound I can think of that would make Dany go crazy is that stupid loving dragon horn that they haven't introduced.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I guess girls just can’t stand the pressure.

Lol at Cersei being the strong female character of game of thrones.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

LadyPictureShow posted:

Speaking of disappearing Dothraki, did they ever say what happened to her one bloodrider from S2? He led them to Qarth, and was hanging around with Jorah outside the house of the Undying. He was seen looting Xaro's treasure stash, then disappeared forever
IIRC he got locked in the vault with that one lady that betrayed Dany.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Back in season one there were multiple scenes showing exactly how dothraki warriors deal with people they conquer, right? It was a driving force behind several plot points, even.

the heebie-gbs
Apr 23, 2007

♫ twerrrmmmmm ♫
       /
:sax:

DoctorGonzo posted:

subverting expectations you want a good show but you need the bad poosey

this show is coated with a special ointment from Asshai. i call it the truncated farewell

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Better with the missing joke in between

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Lannister soldiers in chorus:
"Your lover is your nephew
You just burnt down a refuge
Your dragon is now fish food
Targaryen family

*clap clap clap clap*"

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

theBeaz posted:

I mean... the books all had presumably white armies raping and pillaging all the drat time. It’s been a while, but has the show not communicated that as well? It’s a horrible side effect of war committed by all ethnicities and nationalities especially when the opponent is an “other”. Seems weird for people to be obsessing over the color thing.

Also, have we seen the unsullied ever behave in such a way? It seems unlikely.

The Dothraki are just Essos versions of Wildlings (free from all outsider influence... do what we want) so I expect them to basically act the same so raping and pillaging would be likely... if they hadn’t themselves been raped and pillaged already by the world war Z horde.

You can’t look at things like this in isolation because whether you like it or not, and whether you personally believe it’s a thing that happens or that it’s a problem etc, and no matter how much you want to just say “well in the books white dudes rape too” it just doesn’t work that way. An army of white dudes raping an entire city is seen much differently than an army of brown dudes raping the same city. See: brown person doing bad things = terrorist fullstop, while white person doing bad things = mentally unstable lone wolf most of the time, maybe terrorist some times.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The Unsullied going insane doesn't make a lot of sense considering they're basically born* to be emotionless soldiers. I mean, I get they're all symbiotes of Grey Worm in the show and act like his Pacific Rim robot or some poo poo, but it's a bit of a stretch.

* - glossing over the entirety of how Unsullied are trained/neutered etc

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Sky Shadowing posted:

Someone who is allegedly a super-accurate leaker about GoT leaked this poo poo over at the freefolk, and holy gently caress goons strap in because if this poo poo is true D&D literally went 'salt the loving earth' on this franchise.

The Unsullied bit makes me refuse to believe this because holy poo poo if it's true EVERY SINGLE MEDIA OUTLET IN THE WORLD IS GOING TO SCREAM "RACISM." And they are going to be fully justified in doing so.

This is 'destroy the loving franchise' level stuff. This is 'we're done and we hate this poo poo so have fun cleaning up this mess' level bad. This is the death of Game of Thrones as a franchise. This ends the career of the showrunners.

:pray::pray::pray: Please let this be true. Please burn the whole franchise to the ground and cause massive histeria while mothers crowd the civil registry to request their daughters name changed from Khaleesi

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Zedd posted:

IIRC he got locked in the vault with that one lady that betrayed Dany.

They just locked up the one handmaiden with him. I looked it up, turns out his name was Kovarro, and

quote:

Despite Kovarro surviving the events of Season 2, Steven Cole hasn't returned for Seasons 3, 4 or 5, presumably due to Daenerys' khalasar having a mostly background role

Guess he just went back to his home planet.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Dany going full mad queen in KL has always been her path and I am very hype

lol if bells set her off tho

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
It's the ending I expected too but they still failed on every level to build up to it for there to be any payoff.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Bottom Liner posted:

It's the ending I expected too but they still failed on every level to build up to it for there to be any payoff.

Oh, agreed.

I look forward to the fallout.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

mastershakeman posted:

The unsullied breaking decades of psychological conditioning to rampage is gonna rule

Also having the brown skinned foreign forces that were 100% wiped out in epsiodd 3 be back for a ton of raping and pillaging? Awesome

i legit cant wait for this and the endless amount of tears in brings monday

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
I *do* wonder though -- if the direction they're going with the plot IS what we think it's going to be... maybe the ending that George came up with in the 90s when he first kicked this sucker off plays a lot more unsatisfying now in 2019 than it would have back then? I'm mostly thinking Dany here. I've got a sense there's going to be mountains of salt for it and I'm not sure they're wrong but I also get the sense the reaction would have been very different 20 years ago.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Memnaelar posted:

I *do* wonder though -- if the direction they're going with the plot IS what we think it's going to be... maybe the ending that George came up with in the 90s when he first kicked this sucker off plays a lot more unsatisfying now in 2019 than it would have back then? I'm mostly thinking Dany here. I've got a sense there's going to be mountains of salt for it and I'm not sure they're wrong but I also get the sense the reaction would have been very different 20 years ago.

GRRM had only supposedly outlined his books as far as the Red Wedding. The rumour that had been floating about prior to this season was GRRM only had a faint sketch of an ending, leaving B&W to improvise their way there and, more importantly, that in light of the upcoming merger HBO had cut costs. Obviously what we've seen since the season started has backed this up.

Take the budget news with skepticism by all means, but I'm starting to believe that it's true given how they're having to defend some choices that were clearly cut for money reasons. Or even just generally how production overall has suffered.

DrVenkman fucked around with this message at 08:39 on May 8, 2019

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The story has had so much creep it's unreal.
No way did the Unsullied exist in the initial drafting of the overall plot. Dany would have only had Dothraki but then every just grew and grew.

I'm still a bit puzzled with how unremarkable Grey Worm is visually though. He's not much of a warrior to look at in any way. Tyrion has more scars than the fella.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

esperterra posted:

Dany going full mad queen in KL has always been her path and I am very hype

Yep, I don't see how anyone is surprised by this. The only other option would have been HBO chickening out for a disney princess ending, but that didn't seem very likely

esperterra posted:

lol if bells set her off tho

I feel like this part is someone having seen a tiny bit of a scene/script/shot without understanding context. I sincerely doubt the bells are what's making her flip her poo poo, they're probably just ominously tolling in the background while it's happening.

E: And about the Unsullied, they're murder-robots who will do exactly as they're told and Grey Worm is their general. Grey Worm has over several seasons been shown to break away from his emotionless state and come to love Missandei above all else. Missandei was just murdered in front of him, it makes all the sense in the world he'll flip his poo poo and order his murder-robots to get revenge.

TheRat fucked around with this message at 09:27 on May 8, 2019

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

TheRat posted:

Yep, I don't see how anyone is surprised by this. The only other option would have been HBO chickening out for a disney princess ending, but that didn't seem very likely

E: And about the Unsullied, they're murder-robots who will do exactly as they're told and Grey Worm is their general. Grey Worm has over several seasons been shown to break away from his emotionless state and come to love Missandei above all else. Missandei was just murdered in front of him, it makes all the sense in the world he'll flip his poo poo and order his murder-robots to get revenge.

Especially if their queen is currently also rampaging through KL. The Unsullied will follow her to death.

re: Dany, tbh I was very much worried D&D would just have her be yas kween slay good guy the whole time, especially after they dropped the prophecies that drive her mad and then made all of the horrible and cruel poo poo she does in Essos come off as a good thing lmao

I'm glad they aren't doing that.

Memnaelar posted:

Even early on Dany was pretty clearly not supposed to be a good guy who would swoop in and save Westeros and rule as a just queen. Most of her crazy comes out in Dance, but it's still there in the first three books.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Those leaks can't be real. They made a point of killing off all the Dothraki, leaving Dany with a pitiful selection of Unsullied when she went up to King's Landing. I suppose there could just be more sitting around somewhere, I wouldn't put it past the show, but it wouldn't make sense.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Hakkesshu posted:

Those leaks can't be real. They made a point of killing off all the Dothraki, leaving Dany with a pitiful selection of Unsullied when she went up to King's Landing. I suppose there could just be more sitting around somewhere, I wouldn't put it past the show, but it wouldn't make sense.

Last episode Tyrion talked about how most of the Dothraki and Unsullied rode south with Jon, and on Dragonstone Varys is worried about what the Dothraki would do when they attacked King's Landing.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Hakkesshu posted:

I don't think the show made it clear enough but those 20 unsullied weren't her entire force, they looked like her guard for the meeting.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Hakkesshu posted:

They flat out state that half the Dothraki and Unsullied survived. That's still a much larger army than Cersei's, standing just outside the frame.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Hakkesshu posted:

but it wouldn't make sense.

That's never stopped the show before.

Remember when they left Hardhome by boat and yet appeared north of the Wall just so Jon could have his staredown with Alliser?

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

SimonChris posted:

They flat out state that half the Dothraki and Unsullied survived. That's still a much larger army than Cersei's, standing just outside the frame.

Found it extremely entertaining that this means she only sent exactly half of them to die against the Dead, so that the other half had to chill somewhere else as we didn't see those at all.
Also, the corpse burning scene was not too crowded in corpses either and they managed to remove both their dead as well as the now dead undeads all over and around winterfell quite fast, too. In fact given their party and their planning it did look like the day after the battle or so.

So it can't be all that much.

Creepy Goat
Sep 19, 2010
There was a leak at the beginning of the season/few weeks ago that skimmed over a lot of poo poo in a short paragraph, and a bit that was glossed over was ‘Missandai dies causing the Unsullied to go into a rage’. The first part proved to be accurate after several eps, and now the new leak supports the second bit but with a lot more context/specificity.

Maybe the visual raping and pillaging is not gratuitous and only alluded to, but I bet that’s the way it’s going. Grey Worm snaps, kills a prisoner and the Unsullied hive mind goes ham and massacres the lot. Dothraki get hyped on bloodlust without their strict dragon-mum their to discipline them and get their rape/pillage on.

It’s absolutely something double D would do and I for one look forward to the remaining 160 minute slow motion train wreck.

Also lmbo at people thinking "Jaime wants Brienne to think he's betraying her but he's really going to kill Cersei!" nah it's literally just hamfisted writing and he's crawling straight back to Cersei because that's all the writers know how to do with him. They die together because they're both 'hateful' or whatever.

Here's part of it, can't find the bit that mentioned the Unsullied though, but it was the same leaker.

Savy Saracen salad posted:

Hello. Come back to this post after the episode airs next week.

- Euron's fleet takes down Rhaegal.

- Jaime betrays the North. Missandei is captured.

- Dany's army captures Jaime. Brienne tries to talk to him but he refuses.

- Sansa tells Tyrion about Jon's lineage. Tyrion tells Varys.

- Varys betrays Dany because he thinks Jon would be a better ruler.

- Cersei has Missandei executed.

- Dany has Varys executed. Dany assaults King's Landing and it's one-sided as hell.

- Tyrion begs her to show mercy but she refuses.

- Tyrion frees Jaime to try to get Cersei out of the city.

- King's Landing gets wrecked in the battle. Drogon burns Euron's fleet.

- The Hound fights his brother. They both die.

- Jaime fights Euron and kills him, but Jaime is mortally wounded.

- Jaime makes it to Cersei and they die together.

- Dany is executing everyone in King's Landing. Jon and Tyrion are upset.

- Dany has Tyrion arrested to be executed for freeing Jaime.

- Tyrion tries to convince Jon that his family will never be safe because his lineage makes him a threat to Dany's rule.

- Jon tries to talk to Dany but she justifies her actions.

- Jon pledges himself to Dany but then stabs her, then surrenders himself.

A council gets formed to decide who the King should be. Tyrion gives a speech and everyone votes on Bran to become King. The end.

https://www.reddit.com/r/freefolk/comments/a4ea1k/spoilers_i_know/em1rby4/

Creepy Goat fucked around with this message at 13:38 on May 8, 2019

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
There's absolutely a way to do this whole leaked thing in a way that makes total sense and is effectively a series of unfortunate events and the showrunners have proved that absolutely wont happen and we're going to just cut from Jon yelling at Dany the enemy surrendered to huge piles of dead civilians

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Drogon taking Dany’s body away and just leaving is funny because the alternative is Drogon just losing control and you have a rampaging dragon with no master flying around Westeros now

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

bobjr posted:

Drogon taking Dany’s body away and just leaving is funny because the alternative is Drogon just losing control and you have a rampaging dragon with no master flying around Westeros now

If she dies in the throne room does that mean Drogon burst in there kool aid man style and snags her or will someone be tasked with bringing her corpse outside.

Creepy Goat
Sep 19, 2010
I guess the only garbled message I can see for Dany, is that Sansa had all this horrible poo poo and it made her stronger (as per on-the-nose line she had last ep), Dany suffers all this not-anywhere-near-as-horrible poo poo and it breaks her. Sansa is a better ruler than Dany?

I mean I'm just stretching here to find any semblance of meaning in any of the remaining characters plots anymore.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

bobjr posted:

20 good men and a ballista will bring it down, no problem.

Creepy Goat posted:

I mean I'm just stretching here to find any semblance of meaning in any of the remaining characters plots anymore.

Forget it, Creepy Goat. It's Westeros.

Creepy Goat
Sep 19, 2010

i am the bird posted:

Forget it, Creepy Goat. It's Westeros.

Yeah poo poo, I mean this

bobjr posted:

is literally a completely straight-faced "'and then Drogon returned to his home planet". If working in product has taught me anything it's that they failed to manage budget and time effectively and were like:

"Ah gently caress what do we do with the dragon we can't just cut it and we already sent the 20 good men and ballista guys home"

"Well we've got 25 seconds of stock flying animation, we could make him fly off looking sad and spin it like he returned to the dragon homeland where he belongs or some poo poo?"

"nicee, knock it up by noon"

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

mastershakeman posted:

The unsullied breaking decades of psychological conditioning to rampage is gonna rule

Also having the brown skinned foreign forces that were 100% wiped out in epsiodd 3 be back for a ton of raping and pillaging? Awesome

The Dothraki didn't die, they took a wrong turn at Albuquerque!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Amending my Brienne-Pod spinoff script. They're still roaming from town-to-town solving the smallfolks' problems, but now the reason they're roaming around is they're hunting Drogon.