Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

quote:

I guarantee I've had a cold sore when I was like 6 or something. And I don't want to have to consider myself a herpes carrier
Congratulations, you were already a herpes carrier. If you didn't tell your partners, you were doing the same thing to them that this woman did to you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Anne Whateley posted:

Congratulations, you were already a herpes carrier. If you didn't tell your partners, you were doing the same thing to them that this woman did to you

Lots of people have HSV1. Including me, if I notice an outbreak, I don't perform oral. It's that easy. I've never informed someone that I have oral herpes outbreaks if my immun system is compromised

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Herpes is super common and rates of infection only go up with age. It's a shame it has such a stigma because it's not really that big of a deal outside of being kind of gross and uncomfortable at times.

My understanding is that there are way more asymptomatic carriers that don't know they're infected than people realize. So you may already have had it even if you didn't show symptoms and several of those women you slept with recently could be in the same boat.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Which one is the one where you ride horses on the beach and do yoga everyday? Those commercials really sold the upside of herpes.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
Sometimes I forget how dumb doctors can be.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Here's a non-anonymous confession: I used to get canker sores, but called them cold sores, because I thought that's what they were called

So I'd go around like, "Man, this cold sore is killing me", lmao, whoops

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I've never met a smart doctor. They know the hell out of medicine or their specialty, but they are all usually incredibly stupid about absolutely everything else. Them and engineers seem to be the "we're the smartest people in the room" type when they can barely function in society at all.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Doctor confessor, as a physician you probably already know of the many great benefits of cutting your dick off, but since doctors make the worst patients I’ll suggest you cut off your dick.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

sugar free jazz posted:

Doctor confessor, as a physician you probably already know of the many great benefits of cutting your dick off, but since doctors make the worst patients I’ll suggest you cut off your dick.

“Physician, heal thyself”

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Lots of people have HSV1. Including me, if I notice an outbreak, I don't perform oral. It's that easy. I've never informed someone that I have oral herpes outbreaks if my immun system is compromised
In that story, the woman wasn't having an outbreak and they didn't even have PIV or oral, and he's still mad and worried.

You can shed and infect others without an outbreak, it's just less likely

Vinny Possum
Sep 21, 2015

THUNDERDOME LOSER

sugar free jazz posted:

“Heard joke once: Man goes to doctor. Says he's depressed. Says life seems harsh and cruel. Says he feels all alone in a threatening world where what lies ahead is vague and uncertain. Doctor says, "Treatment is simple. Great doctor Confessor is in town tonight. Go and see him. He should cut your dick off." Man bursts into tears. Says, "But doctor...I am doctor Confessor."”

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
A real doctor wouldn’t confuse serologic HSV testing (which would be positive from a childhood cold sore) with PCR testing (which would only be positive if he was shedding virus from the site the swabs were taken).

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Solice Kirsk posted:

I've never met a smart doctor. They know the hell out of medicine or their specialty, but they are all usually incredibly stupid about absolutely everything else. Them and engineers seem to be the "we're the smartest people in the room" type when they can barely function in society at all.

I've been doing freelance medical design for about 12 years. This brings me into contact with both engineers and docs/surgeons on a regular basis. Here is a quick parade of what genius I've been witness to.

1. I've met three different doctors who do not believe in seat belts. They collectively agree that you should be safely thrown from the vehicle in a crash.
2. At a medical design and engineering conference, I attended a talk about robotic surgery and the future of haptic feedback in micro surgery. The talk was held by a dual doctorate engineering professor from MIT. He spent the first half hour babbling about stuff that went obsolete in the 80's, and then spent the rest of the time trying to turn on the loving projector. Finally one of his underlings did it for him.
3. An orthopedic surgeon once told me that ophthalmology is a made up medical profession, much like chiropractics or acupuncture. I guess all those glaucoma patients are just faking it for weed?
4. A spine surgeon once told me that I should refinance my house to buy used cars and pay for vacations, computers and other short-lived items.
5. I watched a surgeon redesign a medical device 30+ times, Star Citizen-style. I literally worked on this one project for so long, that the surgery that this device was intended for became obsolete. He had an international patent on this idea(very expensive), and it was worthless because he'd changed the thing so many times it would be like having a patent for a car and you actually designed a motorcycle.
6. All engineers seem to have some aspect of autism. All of them. Some can't talk on the phone at all.
7. Speaking of; I worked with a scientist who is one of the front runners in nanoscale imaging(think atomic and molecular-level microscopy). He can't end a phone call.When you start winding down a conversation, he just goes silent on the other end and you don't get the usual reciprocal ques that he's ready to stop talking. It's really unnerving to experience it firsthand.
8. About 80% of the above mentioned people have uttered some variant of, "I'm a [insert specialty] so I think I know what I'm talking about" :smug:

fins
May 31, 2011

Floss Finder
Guy who wants to chop off his balls: Try CBT. Either type should do the job.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Rad-daddio posted:

1. I've met three different doctors who do not believe in seat belts. They collectively agree that you should be safely thrown from the vehicle in a crash.

Most people aren't riding in a convertible. How do they expect someone to be "safely thrown" through the windows of a car?

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

The only surgeon I've ever socialized with was without a doubt the stupidest person I've ever known. He was also a real life no-poo poo nazi. Also he got fired for constant sexual harassment but told everyone he quit because he wasn't making enough money. And then his parents bought him a business.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
From my experience, most surgeons need a team of other better-prepared people to keep them from doing something horrifically stupid to themselves or others.

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Excalibur? More like "Needle"

Grimey Drawer

loquacius posted:

assless chap

I really want you to know that I appreciate this joke.

As far as doctors go, I find they're just like every other profession, with good ones and bad ones. After losing 100+ lbs, I had a doctor ask me how I did it. A doctor. Asked me how I lost weight.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

fins posted:

Guy who wants to chop off his balls: Try CBT. Either type should do the job.

Cock and Ball Torture? Potato Potahtoe it sounds like.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Rad-daddio posted:

From my experience, most surgeons need a team of other better-prepared people to keep them from doing something horrifically stupid to themselves or others.

Neurosurgeons are the worst for this. Somehow these guys are able to fix people's completely hosed up brains, yet they can't do the simplest things themselves.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

runupon cracker posted:

As far as doctors go, I find they're just like every other profession, with good ones and bad ones. After losing 100+ lbs, I had a doctor ask me how I did it. A doctor. Asked me how I lost weight.
That's reasonable because there are a lot of ways to do it, and it makes a difference medically. Did you get surgery? Did you do keto? Get super into Crossfit? Eat literally nothing for six months?

After I lost 100 pounds, I had a doctor be like "so you started parking farther away? Taking the stairs?" That is not reasonable and fuuuuck them.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

Nocheez posted:

Neurosurgeons are the worst for this. Somehow these guys are able to fix people's completely hosed up brains, yet they can't do the simplest things themselves.

Sometimes they can’t even do that.

runupon cracker posted:

I really want you to know that I appreciate this joke.

How many obese patients do you think a doctor advises to “eat less, eat better, and exercise” that then go on to successfully lose weight?

Is it possible that your doctor wanted to know what happened in your experience that allowed you to beat the odds, in the hope it could be applied to less successful patients?

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Anne Whateley posted:

That's reasonable because there are a lot of ways to do it, and it makes a difference medically. Did you get surgery? Did you do keto? Get super into Crossfit? Eat literally nothing for six months?

After I lost 100 pounds, I had a doctor be like "so you started parking farther away? Taking the stairs?" That is not reasonable and fuuuuck them.

Proof that doctors are capable of being dumb assholes. "Yeah doc I stopped adding suguar to my coffee and lost 8 lbs/week."

Good on you for losing that much weight. I mean, imagine having to give a teenage girl a piggyback ride evertyime you stood up. That's what you got rid of.

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Rad-daddio posted:

Proof that doctors are capable of being dumb assholes. "Yeah doc I stopped adding suguar to my coffee and lost 8 lbs/week."

Good on you for losing that much weight. I mean, imagine having to give a teenage girl a piggyback ride evertyime you stood up. That's what you got rid of.

I can't understand why this is a dumb question. Maybe it's because my answer would be "gastric bypass, then medical problems", and I don't see how a doctor who I haven't seen before would necessarily know that.

Edit: Lots of doctors are dumb af tho. I get asked about why I don't menstruate/when my last period was like, 2 minutes after telling them I had a complete hysterectomy constantly.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
I would never do that to you

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Nocheez posted:

Most people aren't riding in a convertible. How do they expect someone to be "safely thrown" through the windows of a car?

Doctors are rich enough to afford a convertible. So, be a doctor, get in crash, save your own life by my wearing a seatbelt.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Araenna posted:

I can't understand why this is a dumb question. Maybe it's because my answer would be "gastric bypass, then medical problems", and I don't see how a doctor who I haven't seen before would necessarily know that.

Edit: Lots of doctors are dumb af tho. I get asked about why I don't menstruate/when my last period was like, 2 minutes after telling them I had a complete hysterectomy constantly.

Good point.

I was more referring to a primary care doc that knows your history. When they start making stupid comments about why you're losing a lot of weight it can be really aggravating.

Also, doctors don't give one dry poo poo if you lose weight, double your weight or have a magical gunt cave that grants unicorn wishes. We're just another reason to minmax their next insurance reimbursement and anything they say to you that resembles compassion is just occupational psychopathy on their part.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
gently caress you

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

El_Elegante posted:

gently caress you

:wink:

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Anne Whateley posted:

El_Elegante posted:

How many obese patients do you think a doctor advises to “eat less, eat better, and exercise” that then go on to successfully lose weight?

Is it possible that your doctor wanted to know what happened in your experience that allowed you to beat the odds, in the hope it could be applied to less successful patients?

It's exchanges like this that remind me that I'm almost certainly somewhere along the autism spectrum, because I tend to interpret such questions in the most pedantic way possible. My response to her (an intern for my GP) was something like "I tracked my calories in and out and made sure I had a daily deficit of about a thousand calories as often as possible." If she'd asked questions like "other than reducing intake, what other dietary changes did you make?" or "how did you deal with hunger?" I might have given her the answer(s) she was really looking for.

To me, it's like she asked "how did you drive the car here?" when what she really wanted to know was "how did you avoid the accident backing up traffic on the 15?" I have trouble making that intuitive leap sometimes. (Read: a lot)

Rad-daddio posted:

Also, doctors don't give one dry poo poo if you lose weight, double your weight or have a magical gunt cave that grants unicorn wishes. We're just another reason to minmax their next insurance reimbursement and anything they say to you that resembles compassion is just occupational psychopathy on their part.

I don't think this is true for the vast majority of doctors. I think what you may perceive as a lack of caring from some is more likely fatigue from dealing with the poo poo that comes naturally in their line of work.

Tinestram fucked around with this message at 12:45 on May 8, 2019

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

runupon cracker posted:

I don't think this is true for the vast majority of doctors. I think what you may perceive as a lack of caring from some is more likely fatigue from dealing with the poo poo that comes naturally in their line of work.

I know they get tired of jackasses that think the docs are up to no good and are going to ignore their advice.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Maybe doctors should have stopped their profession from being transformed into a for-profit nightmare if they are upset that the general public doesn't trust them the way they should? Like it's hard to assume they have my best interest at heart when every aspect of the experience is designed to extract as much money from me as possible, when they're colluding with insurance companies to deny me coverage, and so on and so on. Health care is a huge scam and they're making a fortune off of it, they've got no motivation to actually make things better for the rest of us.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

quote:

Tell Solice Kirsk Des Moines is aight. The rest of the state is mostly lovely and regressive, but DSM remains a beacon of hope.

Also he doxxed so he is on The List.

please, Iowa resident, do your utmost to protect us from Joe Biden

quote:

I shave in the evenings. Saves time in the morning. Guarantees I have a cool looking 5 o'clock shadow. Never nick myself in the chin because I'm still a bit sleepy in the AM.

Yeah, that's right, you jerks. And there's more men like me out there. We're taking over. Oh yeah.

My beard grows slow enough that it doesn't really matter what time I shave honestly

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

loquacius posted:

Jastiger figured out a new way to post from beyond the ban.

loquacius posted:

My beard grows slow enough that it doesn't really matter what time I shave honestly

Takes me like 3 days to grow a 5 o'clock shadow, and it can't be seen anyway because I am fairly light haired.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

loquacius posted:

I get the feeling that it's a lot more common than people think, between laziness and babyfaces. Though I'm more for shaving whenever I feel like it/my facial hair has turned into barbed wire again. Doesn't help that I seem to look like I have 5 o'clock shadow all the time no matter how smooth the shave.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I swear my hair is growing faster than it used to but it's no less patchy. Aging is the loving worst.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

purple death ray posted:

Maybe doctors should have stopped their profession from being transformed into a for-profit nightmare if they are upset that the general public doesn't trust them the way they should? Like it's hard to assume they have my best interest at heart when every aspect of the experience is designed to extract as much money from me as possible, when they're colluding with insurance companies to deny me coverage, and so on and so on. Health care is a huge scam and they're making a fortune off of it, they've got no motivation to actually make things better for the rest of us.

The doctors don't have nearly as much control over this as you think.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

D-Pad posted:

The doctors don't have nearly as much control over this as you think.

they got one of those non-striking unions

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

purple death ray posted:

You are either deeply stupid or willfully misinformed about what drives cost in healthcare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer

El_Elegante posted:

You are either deeply stupid or willfully misinformed about what drives cost in healthcare.

While I don't think he's wholly on the mark there, I can't say he's completely wrong, either. We know for a fact that doctors have been directly paid by pharmaceuticals to push opioids, and given the effect the opioid crisis has had, it's understandable there may be some trust issues there.