Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Today in Russian political discourse: Putin's advisor Sergei Glazyev believes that Ukraine government is going to ethnically cleanse the Donbass from Russians and let... Israeli jews "tired from the endless Middle East conflict" and christians, running from the "islamized Europe" settle in there instead.

I guess thats a pivot from UKRAINE IS A NAZI STATE rhetoric since it is a bit harder line to push with the election of a jewish comedian as a President.

fatherboxx fucked around with this message at 12:27 on May 7, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

fatherboxx posted:

Today in Russian political discourse: Putin's advisor Sergei Glazyev believes that Ukraine government is going to ethnically cleanse the Donbass from Russians and let... Israeli jews "tired from the endless Middle East conflict" and christians, running from the "islamized Europe" settle in there instead.

I guess thats a pivot from UKRAINE IS A NAZI STATE rhetoric since it is a bit harder line to push with the election of a jewish comedian as a President.

Btw Zelenski himself has said that Ukraine needs to cool off from enshrining the UPA.

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

fatherboxx posted:

I know Glazyev isn't making a serious point, but all the Israelis tired of the ME conflict already left for NYC, Germany and Poland. That's part of the reason why the far right is politically ascendant in Israel. The left... left.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Never flying aeroflot again. A survivor said that this plane went in blazes so fast he couldn't beleve his eyes. I usually fly Aeroflot specifically because SVO is close to where I need to be in Moscow and DME is hours of their bullshit traffic, but no, never again.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Sekenr posted:

Never flying aeroflot again. A survivor said that this plane went in blazes so fast he couldn't beleve his eyes. I usually fly Aeroflot specifically because SVO is close to where I need to be in Moscow and DME is hours of their bullshit traffic, but no, never again.

What is this, a decade ago where the AeroExpress trains didnt exist yet?

TheCoach
Mar 11, 2014

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

Lithuanian presidential elections are coming up. The only non-goon Lithuanian I know says he's voting for Ingrida Šimonytė because he can't vote for Dalia Grybauskaitė again. Is this the case with most Lithuanians? Who is the favorite to win? Is there a favorite?

The top 3 are all garbage, Šimonytė is the free markets fix all person who is responsible for disastrous economic policies of 2008/9. Nausėda is a Scandinavian banks guy who is no better. Skvernelis is literally the cop candidate and his party is dangerous garbage. Can't really bring myself to vote for any of them.

I'll vote for Andriukaitis even if I know he's going to loose because god dammit at least I am not actively voting against myself, he's the only real left wing candidate we have.

Oh and there's a bunch of weird options including Juozaitis who's for all intents an purposes trying to "secure the future for our white children"

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Pembroke Fuse posted:

I know Glazyev isn't making a serious point, but all the Israelis tired of the ME conflict already left for NYC, Germany and Poland. That's part of the reason why the far right is politically ascendant in Israel. The left... left.

It might be a case of grass being greener, but if I were an Israeli dude with a choice of US, Germany or Poland I sure as hell wouldn't pick Poland..

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

Sekenr posted:

I'd say the big problem is that the Jet is a Sukhoi, and as I recall, the plane that crashed horribly in the winder was of the same type. As long as it's a Boeing plane you should be okay.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Xerxes17 posted:

I'd say the big problem is that the Jet is a Sukhoi, and as I recall, the plane that crashed horribly in the winder was of the same type. As long as it's a Boeing plane you should be okay.

Might also want to avoid 737.
https://www.wsj.com/articles/boeing-withheld-information-on-737-model-according-to-safety-experts-and-others-1542082575

Paladinus fucked around with this message at 13:01 on May 8, 2019

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Xerxes17 posted:

As long as it's a Boeing plane you should be okay.

lol imagine posting this in 2019

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

alex314 posted:

It might be a case of grass being greener, but if I were an Israeli dude with a choice of US, Germany or Poland I sure as hell wouldn't pick Poland..

Poland was actually very supportive of its returning Jewish population prior to PiS taking power, AFAIK.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

News to me. A substantial percentage of the population is antisemitic to some extent, no matter the ruling party. Enough to dissuade Jews that are here from publicly acknowledging their faith and/or ethnicity.

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008
I may be wrong then. I'm only aware of the situation indirectly, through someone who does Polish-Jewish studies at the Jagiellonian. They indicated that Jews felt safe enough to immigrate to Poland over the last two decades, but perhaps returning and being openly accepted are two different things.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Pembroke Fuse posted:

I may be wrong then. I'm only aware of the situation indirectly, through someone who does Polish-Jewish studies at the Jagiellonian. They indicated that Jews felt safe enough to immigrate to Poland over the last two decades, but perhaps returning and being openly accepted are two different things.
Sorry to shatter the illusion. The following are images from an Easter tradition performed in one of the southern small towns. it's called "Judgement over Judas".

They actually stopped organizing it 10 years ago, and started again this year in part because PiS is putting into people's heads that Jews will come to Poland to get back their real estate.

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008
I don't think I was implying that anti-semitism was over, just that over the last few decades Jews felt fine immigrating to Poland (perhaps to larger cities like Kraków and Warsaw). Looks like I may have underestimated how bad things were in general, although my point that PiS is bringing anti-semitism back in force doesn't seem to have been too far off.

e: (Also, that's one pretty horrific holiday)

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

It's probably different in Kraków than in shithead central Białystok. Kaczyński is legit not anti-Semitic, but rest of his power block are the regular mix of right wing people.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Pembroke Fuse posted:

I don't think I was implying that anti-semitism was over, just that over the last few decades Jews felt fine immigrating to Poland (perhaps to larger cities like Kraków and Warsaw). Looks like I may have underestimated how bad things were in general, although my point that PiS is bringing anti-semitism back in force doesn't seem to have been too far off.

e: (Also, that's one pretty horrific holiday)

I tend to paint a grim picture of Poland. Obviously there is a difference between countryside and big cities. Kraków even has a vibrant Jewish community by post war Poland standards. It's the only city in Poland where I've seen Hasidic Jews on the streets. Apart from that there are still Jewish pilgrimages to graves of famous Rebbes. But... that's about it.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

Anne Frank Funk posted:

I tend to paint a grim picture of Poland. Obviously there is a difference between countryside and big cities. Kraków even has a vibrant Jewish community by post war Poland standards. It's the only city in Poland where I've seen Hasidic Jews on the streets. Apart from that there are still Jewish pilgrimages to graves of famous Rebbes. But... that's about it.

Leżajsk, too. And Lublin.

A number of Jewish tourists here in Białystok, too. It certainly is a city of racist shitheads, unfortunately.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

alex314 posted:

It's probably different in Kraków than in shithead central Białystok. Kaczyński is legit not anti-Semitic, but rest of his power block are the regular mix of right wing people.

My only time in Krakow started with sitting in the same table at cafe with a random dude who without any prompting started explaining to me in good English how the Jews control the media and how Poland should take back eastern Poland, which for him included everything all the way to the Black Sea

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
prussia will rise again

e: boy, that reminds me of the local nationalist party here, who believe slovenia should get all the karantanian territory back, which is basically, half of austria or something

Truga fucked around with this message at 15:40 on May 8, 2019

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Łódź is so turbojewish it probably breaks the scale.

I'd say big towns out here are on a casual antisemitism level - some unpleasantness would be had, but mostly occuring behind one's back. Unless, like, stepping into super obvious bigot/hooligan zone. It's also one of those things that is present in a tertiary role as wokeness vs unwokeness signifiers in the mainstream, ranging from the insufferable discussions about Gross to, like, the Jewish Ghetto Uprising in Warsaw becoming a thing once Polin got opened and started nudging the topic a bit.

Anecdotally speaking, my girlfriend looks almost caricaturally jewish (like straight out of nazi "how to spot a Jew" leaflets) and I don't recall it ever causing a stir. Only ever been concerned about her on November 11, but that's *a thing*.

alex314 posted:

Kaczyński is legit not anti-Semitic, but rest of his power block are the regular mix of right wing people.

I was legit surprised to find out the two issues the #1 right-wing clown Terlikowski is fairly consistently decent about is antisemitism and church paedophilia. He's Terlikowski about everything else, but still, quite a pleasant surprise given his track record.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!
Didn't some Italian/Spanish guys get beaten up in Poland a few years back for "being Jewish"?

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

It might have been that, or it might have been that they called him a Jew because it is a general slur here. I was called a Jew in school/playground for not attending church/religion classes.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Nenonen posted:

My only time in Krakow started with sitting in the same table at cafe with a random dude who without any prompting started explaining to me in good English how the Jews control the media and how Poland should take back eastern Poland, which for him included everything all the way to the Black Sea

"Excuse me Sir, have you read the good book?"
*Slides "Protocols of Elders of Zion" across the table*
:psyboom:

My main observation from 2 visits there was that the drivers were "spirited", and that's coming from someone that spent most of my driving career in Warsaw, the capital of lovely drivers.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Wasn't there a period when "prove you're a good Catholic" classes would actually improve your GPA?

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

afaik this is still the case. A grade in "religion" (catholicism) class is included in the grade average counted towards college entry.

A student should have the possibility of attending an ethics class instead of religion. That's just a theory in a 99% declared catholic state.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Ruffian Price posted:

Wasn't there a period when "prove you're a good Catholic" classes would actually improve your GPA?

Religion was counted into your average. That was one out of 10 or something subjects, but it wasn't required to be Roman Catholic based, so I guess Orthodox or Evangelical kids could in theory get good grades for some effort too. A part of it was going to Church on Sunday, had to get proof too..

Of course Polish Constitution is based on separation of state from religion, and supposedly anyone could pick Ethics class instead of Religion, but in true US way practice is completely different. Hardly any school provides Ethics class, maybe in bigger schools in Poland A.. My learning time was spent in Poland B.

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES

Grape posted:

Didn't some Italian/Spanish guys get beaten up in Poland a few years back for "being Jewish"?

No, it was because the attackers mistook them for Arabs.

Antisemitism is still a significant problem in Poland, but in recent years it pales in comparison to how virulent Islamophobia and anti-Arab racism have become mainstream.

Edit: As for the religion in schools thing, note that if the school doesn't organize ethics classes, students who don't attend religion classes get the time off, so nobody's forcing children of atheist parents to undergo religious indoctrination in schools (theoretically at least). It's still a lovely theocratic system though and there's a lot of informal pressure on both kids and parents.

Guildencrantz fucked around with this message at 13:12 on May 10, 2019

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Kazakhstani guy goes to hold a blank sign in public, saying he will get arrested even for that

then the police come and arrest him

he is released the same day, the police say that his crime wasn't holding the sign but claiming that there is no freedom of speech in Kazakhstan :ironicat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0HrQ2y_8Nc

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Haha he says the police asked him to write something on the sign because they didn't know what to do

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

https://twitter.com/ABC/status/1126916005559709696

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

Nenonen posted:

Kazakhstani guy goes to hold a blank sign in public, saying he will get arrested even for that

then the police come and arrest him

he is released the same day, the police say that his crime wasn't holding the sign but claiming that there is no freedom of speech in Kazakhstan :ironicat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0HrQ2y_8Nc

This is like a Borat joke made real.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Who does he think he is, Lukashenka?

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

florida lan posted:

Who does he think he is, Lukashenka?

:iceburn:

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Pembroke Fuse posted:

This is like a Borat joke made real.

Get out of my head.

I don't know where else to ask this, so here goes:
I'm looking for a book by an Central Asian (Kyrgyz?) poet named Murat Akh-something, wherein he details a trip he took through Central Asia immediately before the dissolution of the USSR. He touches on Nagorno-Karabakh, so past '88. One thing I think I remember is him being on a long-distance trail ride where he figures out the porter is a fellow countryman, he tries this out by calling him [name]-aka. The man recognized this and invited him for pilaf and tea at every stop. Sound familiar to anyone? I'd like to buy the book.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Ardennes posted:

Btw Zelenski himself has said that Ukraine needs to cool off from enshrining the UPA.

https://mobile.twitter.com/ZelenskyyUa/status/1126123657258983429

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Basically, his pivot is "let's all be friends."

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

madeintaipei posted:

Get out of my head.

I don't know where else to ask this, so here goes:
I'm looking for a book by an Central Asian (Kyrgyz?) poet named Murat Akh-something, wherein he details a trip he took through Central Asia immediately before the dissolution of the USSR. He touches on Nagorno-Karabakh, so past '88. One thing I think I remember is him being on a long-distance trail ride where he figures out the porter is a fellow countryman, he tries this out by calling him [name]-aka. The man recognized this and invited him for pilaf and tea at every stop. Sound familiar to anyone? I'd like to buy the book.

As far as I know, Kyrgyz last names don't end in -aka (even in a pre-Russified version). Do you have any more details? Was this a Soviet-recognized poet (i.e. belonged to the Soviet Writer's Union, or a writer's union of one of the other Republics)?

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Pembroke Fuse posted:

As far as I know, Kyrgyz last names don't end in -aka (even in a pre-Russified version). Do you have any more details? Was this a Soviet-recognized poet (i.e. belonged to the Soviet Writer's Union, or a writer's union of one of the other Republics)?

Found it digging around my house at 3am. Red Odyssey, by Murat Akchurin. Uzbek Tatar, shows how much I remember! Good enough reason to re-read it. Thank you anyways!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Ardennes posted:

Basically, his pivot is "let's all be friends."

In this particular case, he 'stole' that Red Army veteran from Poroshenko. He's famous for shaking hands with another UPA member in Poroshenko's photo ops. Zelenskyi's rhetoric in the past several weeks was definitely milder than that of Poroshenko, but overall he seems to want to continue the same general line on Ukrainisation, Donbasss war, relationship with Russia, WWII history, and other issues, on which many of his supporters probably expected him to take a slightly different stance. Some theorise that he wants to get on the good side of Rada members to have an early inauguration (and then have snap Rada elections), and he'll reveal his real stance after that, but he's probably just fine with ideological status quo as it is. On the other hand, it's also worth noting that Proshenko himself started his presidency with a very similar reconciliatory platform, but drastically changed some of his opinions later. Interestingly, Kolomoyskyi, who is said to be the real power behind Zelenskyi, has recently stated in an interview that the war in Eastern Ukraine could actually be considered a civil war, where one of the sides is aided by a foreign state. This goes very much against the official narrative of pure Russian aggression (without any official declaration of war, however). Don't really know what to make of that, but there are some fancy 5D chess theories floating around about who's controlling whom now, and from what country.