Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Josherino)

Sanguinary Novel
Jan 27, 2009
How do you work through the immense guilt of not doing enough to change things? Or should you work through it?

I understand that just one person can't fix systemic issues; like individual efforts at recycling and meatless days are mere flecks in the face of industrial pollution. And there are just so many things wrong, from issues that are important to me, to other issues that are equally and even more important. There's trying to keep up with the news and keep educated, and try to educate those around you. Donating directly to those who are on the front line of work, or donating to those who the system hurts the most. I know just voting isn't enough, and I do try to volunteer in the community for things I enjoy and help out a few charities.

I guess what I'm asking is that I fit in all that I can and more, am exhausted, but still don't feel like I'm doing enough. Every time I see a post about white women who voted for Trump, I feel that I need to do more. Every Twitter post about someone dying because of rationing insulin, dying to a cop, kids in school going hungry, just loving everything. I don't understand what is enough. Doctors have time and time again asked me to set boundaries, but where are the boundaries in times such as this? Why does every night I take off to just watch some dumb YouTube videos feel like something I need to be absolved of? I guess I just want to know how you've worked through that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
:same: so at least we have that in common

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Mordor She Wrote posted:

I stopped taking all my meds and going to the doctor for about 5 months now, because my doctor had me watch a ted talk video and I got a 150$ bill for it (with insurance) so now I'm just spiraling out of control and I keep feeling compelled to spend money on nonsense to try and make myself feel better but it never works and now I'm pretty badly in debt, but on the flip side, I got a bunch of power rangers I regret buying.

What power rangers

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Dreddout posted:

You should find a different psych

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Sanguinary Novel posted:

How do you work through the immense guilt of not doing enough to change things? Or should you work through it?

I understand that just one person can't fix systemic issues; like individual efforts at recycling and meatless days are mere flecks in the face of industrial pollution. And there are just so many things wrong, from issues that are important to me, to other issues that are equally and even more important. There's trying to keep up with the news and keep educated, and try to educate those around you. Donating directly to those who are on the front line of work, or donating to those who the system hurts the most. I know just voting isn't enough, and I do try to volunteer in the community for things I enjoy and help out a few charities.

I guess what I'm asking is that I fit in all that I can and more, am exhausted, but still don't feel like I'm doing enough. Every time I see a post about white women who voted for Trump, I feel that I need to do more. Every Twitter post about someone dying because of rationing insulin, dying to a cop, kids in school going hungry, just loving everything. I don't understand what is enough. Doctors have time and time again asked me to set boundaries, but where are the boundaries in times such as this? Why does every night I take off to just watch some dumb YouTube videos feel like something I need to be absolved of? I guess I just want to know how you've worked through that.

There. thats how to do it. congrats op youre officially a good person :)

its a common refrain but you have to leave some for yourself. its really really tempting to run towards the meat grinder to try to stop it but keep in mind youre already helping which is incredibly admirable.

also you dont have to just do politics when finding something meaningful. I used to think volunteer programming for the dsa was my Destined Way to Help until a local guy took that app nichael and I busted our rear end over and took a massive public poo poo on it. one mental breakdown later and Ive realized the biggest thing I can do for society is leverage my years of mental illness to help others in the same spot. its not politics related but its a massive help to people suffering through Hell world, or so I like to think.

the point is, do what you can, but dont feel like TROMP is where community involvement begins and ends. Anything that brings people together in a spirit of community is the antithesis of what the bastards about.

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

:retrogames: :3: :retrogames:

Pork Pro
Any advice on dealing with anxiety from that loving nightmare extinction report that came out today? Ive been doing a good job of avoiding things like that but I came across it on a non-political site and couldnt resist the urge to read about it, and now I feel pretty awful. :(

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Panic Restaurant posted:

Any advice on dealing with anxiety from that loving nightmare extinction report that came out today? Ive been doing a good job of avoiding things like that but I came across it on a non-political site and couldnt resist the urge to read about it, and now I feel pretty awful. :(

Worrying about it won't change anything. If volunteering with an environmentalist org helps soothe your nerves you can do that

Honestly I'd avoid reading about climate reports/ threads if I were you. If you're like me it's a nassive personal trigger for your anxiety. You already know the basic facts of the situation so what's the point in re-reading facts that make you feel miserable?

Finally a goon in earlier in this thread about this same subject told me "Why should that knowledge prevent you from being happy now?" ,and I've turned that phrase into a mantra to ward off intrusive climate thoughts. Turning it around in my head has really helped me shut my brain up on this subject

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Mordor She Wrote posted:

I stopped taking all my meds and going to the doctor for about 5 months now, because my doctor had me watch a ted talk video and I got a 150$ bill for it (with insurance) so now I'm just spiraling out of control and I keep feeling compelled to spend money on nonsense to try and make myself feel better but it never works and now I'm pretty badly in debt, but on the flip side, I got a bunch of power rangers I regret buying.

Same but magic cards.

Also I feel weird because the climate change stuff doesn't really depress me any more. I do wish more people would catch up to the reality of it all though.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

CODChimera posted:

Also I feel weird because the climate change stuff doesn't really depress me any more. I do wish more people would catch up to the reality of it all though.
These two ideas are related: you've reached Acceptance, and they're still in Denial.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Climate stuff kinda makes me feel better because I know that I'm not going to be the only one miserable and then dead. like all of humanity is going to be dead. It's entirely possible that nobody else gets to keep experiencing stuff after I'm dead, either. hell yeah.

Mordor She Wrote
Nov 17, 2014

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

What power rangers

I got the entire legacy line of megazords, the loving dinomegazord is like 500$, also all the MMPR figures. I maintain the coolest one is the Thunder Megazord though.

CODChimera posted:

Same but magic cards.

I dunno, I got a cat as gift last year and now I feel bad about seeing this cute animal having to live through the beginning of the apocalypse, so it breaks my heart to look at my own cat.

Mordor She Wrote has issued a correction as of 16:14 on May 7, 2019

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

:retrogames: :3: :retrogames:

Pork Pro

Dreddout posted:

Worrying about it won't change anything. If volunteering with an environmentalist org helps soothe your nerves you can do that

Honestly I'd avoid reading about climate reports/ threads if I were you. If you're like me it's a nassive personal trigger for your anxiety. You already know the basic facts of the situation so what's the point in re-reading facts that make you feel miserable?

Finally a goon in earlier in this thread about this same subject told me "Why should that knowledge prevent you from being happy now?" ,and I've turned that phrase into a mantra to ward off intrusive climate thoughts. Turning it around in my head has really helped me shut my brain up on this subject

Thanks for this. Ive been doing pretty good avoiding things lately but this one was haunting me. Anything to do with climate/the environment is a huge trigger for me, and often results in me falling into a depressive spiral looking for something, anything to make me feel some hope about the situation. That usually results in me browsing Twitter or something and just finding more things to be horribly upset about.

Im going to try adopting that mantra instead.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Panic Restaurant posted:

Thanks for this. Ive been doing pretty good avoiding things lately but this one was haunting me. Anything to do with climate/the environment is a huge trigger for me, and often results in me falling into a depressive spiral looking for something, anything to make me feel some hope about the situation. That usually results in me browsing Twitter or something and just finding more things to be horribly upset about.

Letting go of the things you have no control over is one of the hardest things to do, especially if it's potentially catastrophic. It's a fine line between doing what you can and letting the rest go. Sometimes that's going to involve token/moral victories just so you feel like you're less of the problem.

It's a balancing act. Just remember: you can't solve the world's problems by yourself. It's just not going to happen. Do what you can to be part of the solution, but you have to let the rest go.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

CODChimera posted:

Same but magic cards.

My transformers say "hi" to both of you.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

I'm the opposite, I will agonize for weeks over whether I can afford to spend $13 on a book, even when I've wanted to read it for years and the library doesn't have it, because I could be using that to pay down my debt or whatever

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

Panic Restaurant posted:

I want to reiterate that if you have trouble with intrusive thoughts, like myself, adopting mantras can help you shut non-productive thoughts out.

Thoughts are powerful and can affect your emotional well being on an unconscious level. Make sure a mantra is something you want to believe before you begin using it.

Caution mantras are similar to meditation and may not work for everyone. If you find yourself turning the mantras themselves into a compulsive thought loops discontinue use immediately. Beneficial mantra use should become more effective over time and require less repetition. If the opposite occurs and you require more repetition to shut out intrusive thoughts, that's a bad sign and you should discontinue mantra use

I am not a medical professional and my advice is in no way a substitute for one

Dreddout has issued a correction as of 19:08 on May 7, 2019

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Mordor She Wrote posted:

I got the entire legacy line of megazords, the loving dinomegazord is like 500$, also all the MMPR figures. I maintain the coolest one is the Thunder Megazord though.

I dunno, I got a cat as gift last year and now I feel bad about seeing this cute animal having to live through the beginning of the apocalypse, so it breaks my heart to look at my own cat.

I need Legacy Megazord and Titanus, my gf got me a dragonzord a while back. They're low on my list rn, tho, since I have the Soul of Chogokin Megazord and Dragonzord rn and I'm thinking about getting titanus soon

Lol at buying the black and gold TRU exclusvive tho you fool

Mordor She Wrote
Nov 17, 2014

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

I need Legacy Megazord and Titanus, my gf got me a dragonzord a while back. They're low on my list rn, tho, since I have the Soul of Chogokin Megazord and Dragonzord rn and I'm thinking about getting titanus soon

Lol at buying the black and gold TRU exclusvive tho you fool

I got that off craigslist for 30$, also I'm ludicrously jealous of your SoCs

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Mordor She Wrote posted:

I got that off craigslist for 30$, also I'm ludicrously jealous of your SoCs

Got em on store credit too, didn't pay poo poo for five hundred dollars of Megazord

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf
Is one of you fuckers gonna post the green ranger's flute or not? My mental health hinges on one of you owning it.

Mordor She Wrote
Nov 17, 2014

Nae! posted:

Is one of you fuckers gonna post the green ranger's flute or not? My mental health hinges on one of you owning it.

I don't own any of the replica weapons, I do have a replica power morpher though.

consequently my girlfriend thinks that I've simultaneously joined an online leftists death cult and regressed into childhood and she's extremely concerned.

Mordor She Wrote has issued a correction as of 22:13 on May 7, 2019

mekyabetsu
Dec 17, 2018

There are online leftist death cults? Where do I join? I need some drinking partners.

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

mekyabetsu posted:

There are online leftist death cults? Where do I join? I need some drinking partners.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3868217&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Mordor She Wrote
Nov 17, 2014

I'm extremely tempted to show my girlfriend that but I'm pretty sure she would actually try and have me committed.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

Mental Health Thread: There are online leftist death cults? Where do I join?

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

For real though where are the online leftist death cults?

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

CODChimera posted:

For real though where are the online leftist death cults?

That's what this is

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~
I loving hate interviews. I had one yesterday, and while it wasn't a trainwreck, I definitely struggled with keeping my anxiety down. Probably didn't help that I had to talk to 7 people for a relatively low level position.

Still, any tips on how not to come across as nervous wreck and phony in an interview?

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Annoyingly, I've found that the only thing that helps with interviews is doing interviews. I just sort of got numb to the fear after a while, and interviews just became another thing I did.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Goon Danton posted:

Annoyingly, I've found that the only thing that helps with interviews is doing interviews. I just sort of got numb to the fear after a while, and interviews just became another thing I did.

Practice makes prefect, and all that.

I know that preparing for interviews beforehand greatly helps relive nervousness, but I also have a procrastination problem! :suicide:

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Equeen posted:

I loving hate interviews. I had one yesterday, and while it wasn't a trainwreck, I definitely struggled with keeping my anxiety down. Probably didn't help that I had to talk to 7 people for a relatively low level position.

Still, any tips on how not to come across as nervous wreck and phony in an interview?

I use ativan. Ativan, ask your medical professional about it today. No, really, I have a prescription for lorazepam and I took one before my last job interview and did fine.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Eat This Glob posted:

I use ativan. Ativan, ask your medical professional about it today. No, really, I have a prescription for lorazepam and I took one before my last job interview and did fine.

I actually have been thinking about talking to my doctor about being prescribed Xanax again. Was the best sleeping aid I ever had. But I don't have insurance right now, and I already paying about $100 a month for my lexapro.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
God loving dammit these new meds were working for about a few weeks and now I'm back to suicide ideation and barely contained fits of rage every day

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Equeen posted:

I actually have been thinking about talking to my doctor about being prescribed Xanax again. Was the best sleeping aid I ever had. But I don't have insurance right now, and I already paying about $100 a month for my lexapro.

sorry friend :( i do have insurance and my lexapro costs me roughly $1/day out of pocket. we need real goddamn healthcare in this country

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Eat This Glob posted:

sorry friend :( i do have insurance and my lexapro costs me roughly $1/day out of pocket. we need real goddamn healthcare in this country

:hai:

Any insurance I get will come from me finally escaping the contractor life.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Equeen posted:

Xanax without insurance is often cheap as hell, like maybe a buck a pill if you get generics. I think its probably not the best solution to anxiety problems, but it could probably be affordable.

I'm going through the same thing with interviews right now, though they've been going pretty well for me even though none have resulted in me actually getting a job, I didn't feel like I explicitly hosed anything up with most of them. The key for me has been going in knowing a lot about the position (like for a college admissions thing I just memorized all the stats about their competency rates after graduation, their admissions process dates/requirements, and other stuff like that) and not loving with my daily routine before hand. like i wake up at my normal time and smoke some weed and go and be normal and its a lot less nerve wracking. for my first interview i woke up early, didn't smoke any pot, and despite having been prepared, had a much harder time with it.

like others said though they seem to get easier with each subsequent interview which is great because nobody is ever going to employ me, so i guess interviews are what i do now.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Pull up, thread! Pull up!

I deffo understand people hurting, and I'm not gonna Polyanna that away or tell anyone to stop talking about it. But, try to stay away from "death cult" memes, as it falls under the "lol nothing matters" ban.

Seconding ativan for when you're wound really tight, it's a godsend. Spiderhyphenman, have you talked to your pdoc about Deplin or L-Methylfolate? It reactivated my SSRI but it's also pretty expensive.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

UnfortunateSexFart has issued a correction as of 09:24 on May 15, 2019

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
ive been feeling better mentally this week, despite still being alone like always, but now my lower back has been real stiff and sore :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

I can't even find jobs I can apply for, let alone get interviews. I can't type or sit all day due to chronic pain, can't get most entry level jobs because I'm a little too close to 40, am not handy nor good at customer service, and can't do my old career until I live here for a year and can get references from a doctor and some other professional who can vouch for my character.

I feel like Uber Eats/driver is my last hope but that's poo poo pay even in a city of 5 million.

what kind of qualifications do you have? you don't have to be good at customer service to do basic retail, but i completely 100% understand not applying to jobs like that for abstract or personal reasons. there might be other options out there for you like night security work with light walking or working remotely as a transcriptionist or something that lets you dictate your own schedule some.

job hunting is one of the most soul-crushing things there is and i imagine it is much worse with a disability that makes certain things more difficult. since you need something temporary until you're back to work, maybe something like retail would be doable.