Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004
I like all the various reasons people have to come up with to hate him.

- studied too hard
- had a good job
- name has an S, just like the SS. Obv a Nazi.
- doesn't make stupid $800 bets from third place
- answers too many questions correctly
- smiles too much, and also not enough
- smug somehow
- maybe an under bite
- sleeps in a big bed with his wife

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Sorry other people aren't obligated to like the guy you like, I guess?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

BaronVonVaderham posted:

There were WAY more issues with the biggest douchebag to ever appear on Survivor, Russel Hantz, but one of the biggest things that made the other players especially resent him (besides him literally throwing their clothing into the fire) was that he was already a multi-millionaire owner of an oil company.

hahah why the gently caress would you put someone who's already rich on your contest show.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Groovelord Neato posted:

hahah why the gently caress would you put someone who's already rich on your contest show.

Because he is basically a sociopath who had zero chance of winning but constantly stirred up controversy, which means he was dragged along (twice, he appeared in back to back seasons) to the final because the other contestants knew he wouldn't receive a single vote. Which translates to great ratings because everyone just wants to see a meteor fall out of the sky to smite him (or get voted off, which never happened).

EDIT: This is also kind of summing up the point I was making about James. I have nothing against him personally, he's just not the kind of person I'd want to see as a contestant even before he went off on a massive streak.

BaronVonVaderham fucked around with this message at 17:39 on May 6, 2019

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

Groovelord Neato posted:

Presumably because he made good TV, guessing as a villain.

I don't know about other hopefuls but getting on the show has never been about the money for me. I want to get on because I've watched since I was a kid and as Ken has written is the closest thing there is to a trivia Super Bowl that anyone cares about.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

MorgaineDax posted:

I like all the various reasons people have to come up with to hate him.

- studied too hard
- had a good job
- name has an S, just like the SS. Obv a Nazi.
- doesn't make stupid $800 bets from third place
- answers too many questions correctly
- smiles too much, and also not enough
- smug somehow
- maybe an under bite
- sleeps in a big bed with his wife

To be honest if the games weren't always a runaway, I'd like him a lot better, but just about every game he's in, there's a moment when he's too far ahead and it becomes impossible for the other players to beat him.

If there was regularly a second place contestant coming in $18 short of victory, it would be a lot more fun to watch. As it stands, James gets the insurmountable lead early in the second round and the rest of the game is just boring as poo poo, you can even see the other players lose their will to finish the game.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Iron Crowned posted:

To be honest if the games weren't always a runaway, I'd like him a lot better, but just about every game he's in, there's a moment when he's too far ahead and it becomes impossible for the other players to beat him.

If there was regularly a second place contestant coming in $18 short of victory, it would be a lot more fun to watch. As it stands, James gets the insurmountable lead early in the second round and the rest of the game is just boring as poo poo, you can even see the other players lose their will to finish the game.

People said this about Ken's original run. I think we prefer seeing the super champs play each other rather than mere mortals.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
I think it’s ok to dislike him because he is extremely cocky and made a “fan dedicated website” for himself before his run even started.

zakharov posted:

People said this about Ken's original run. I think we prefer seeing the super champs play each other rather than mere mortals.

This is also true.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Only he kind of is. He has nothing to really gain by going on the show other than proving that he can, it's not like he's a teacher or construction worker where winning 2 or 3 games radically changes their life. Hell, I live quite comfortably as a software engineer, but I would probably openly weep if my winnings got into 6 figures and my student loan debt vanished because I know random poo poo for a tv show.

There were WAY more issues with the biggest douchebag to ever appear on Survivor, Russel Hantz, but one of the biggest things that made the other players especially resent him (besides him literally throwing their clothing into the fire) was that he was already a multi-millionaire owner of an oil company. Who the gently caress wants to give a million dollars to that guy over the cafeteria lunch lady or struggling graduate student sitting next to him? Obviously James is way less of a raging rear end in a top hat (I hope), but it's the best parallel I can come up with in game show history for players resenting having their dream crushed by some rich guy to whom the grand prize means nothing.

Good on him for being able to pull off a streak like this, but it's absolutely understandable to me why he might not be the best person to see winning millions of dollars and crushing the dreams of "more deserving" players who would probably have started streaks of their own if he hadn't been standing in the way.

I hate the rich as much or more than the next guy, but when it comes to game shows the most deserving is the person who wins. I like watching Big Brother and I'm seldom happy with the winner, but I've got to give it up for them. They deserve it. Even if I think they did nothing to earn the win, they did it. And Jeopardy isn't about luck like getting a good wheel spin. If you can buzz in first, get the answer correct, have the balls to bet a billion dollars on every Double, hell, you deserve it.

Iron Crowned posted:

Personally I like the schadenfreude of seeing that moment when the other players want to give up and it's taking everything they have to not just run off the stage and into a taxi.

At the end of the day everyone on Jeopardy are really smart and it's just a game show. I play good at home, but I would die if I was up there.

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...
it is crushing when a non-james contestant (one of the "humbled", so to speak) gets control of the board, realise there's like $4000 of clues on the board and they're $18,000 behind james and have to pick some category to advance the game even though its impossible to win

and by crushing i mean awesome

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Iron Crowned posted:

It just confirms what I suspected about James, he's a rich turd.

He has strongly hinted on past shows that he comes from an extremely well-to-do family. He's probably a trust fund kid.

I wonder how soul-sucking it must be for Johnny Gilbert to say "professional sports gambler" multiple times a day.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Iron Crowned posted:

It just confirms what I suspected about James, he's a rich turd.

He's pretty much flat out said in the interviews that he doesn't really need the money from this because his family is well off

other than the douchey website he's definitely running, he doesn't seem like much of a turd to me, a known hater of all Jeopardy contestants

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Because he is basically a sociopath who had zero chance of winning but constantly stirred up controversy, which means he was dragged along (twice, he appeared in back to back seasons) to the final because the other contestants knew he wouldn't receive a single vote. Which translates to great ratings because everyone just wants to see a meteor fall out of the sky to smite him (or get voted off, which never happened).

Kind of off-topic, but after he lost three times on American survivor he went to Australian Survivor and got voted off second with an idol, rest in poo poo russell

Also, yeah, to the point, I don't have anything against James but the episodes do get boring when he's way ahead but doesn't have enough to set a new record. But, I mean, if it continues into next season that's on the casting folks--they know they need to get game players onstage instead of insipid erudite walking textbooks.

Regardless, teachers tournament is going to be a nice break and hopefully evenly-matched. First time I'm excited for it in years.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.
Y'all do realize that basically every world-class competitor in every competitive endeavor on the planet is practicing full time while being paid by someone else?

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Didn't James say he's going to donate his winnings to charity? That's pretty cool.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

I wonder which one of you posters in here is James, way too wrapped up in what a bunch of goons think about him in tyool 2019.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
You, obviously.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

packetmantis posted:

Didn't James say he's going to donate his winnings to charity? That's pretty cool.

Did he? That's cool. I hope it's for an animal cause.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

packetmantis posted:

I think he pledged to donate some, but not all.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Timeless Appeal posted:

I think he pledged to donate some, but not all.
He specifically spoke about using some of the winnings so he and his wife could travel around and live in different places for a month at a time.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I don't want to hate James for doing something he's really good at but it's also true that the show does lose something when every game is a foregone conclusion before the first commercial break.

haveblue fucked around with this message at 18:43 on May 7, 2019

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Captain von Trapp posted:

Y'all do realize that basically every world-class competitor in every competitive endeavor on the planet is practicing full time while being paid by someone else?

ken jennings was a computer programmer before he got on jeopardy.

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

haveblue posted:

I don't want to hate James for doing something he's really good at but it's also true that the show does lose something when every game is a foregone conclusion before the first commercial break.

counterpoint: watching these knobs in the teacher's tournament start at $200 clues and betting $1,000 on daily doubles

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

big trivia FAIL posted:

counterpoint: watching these knobs in the teacher's tournament start at $200 clues and betting $1,000 on daily doubles

The betting is one thing, but starting at 200 helps most people see what the category is about with lower stakes. There's a reason not everyone uses the Forrest Bounce.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

big trivia FAIL posted:

the forrest bounce is lame. go through the category in the proper order.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Groovelord Neato posted:

the forrest bounce is lame. go through the category in the proper order.

I like seeing the Forrest Bounce in action, even if I didn’t do it myself.

There’s a reason why some of the most successful contestants in Jeopardy history did the bounce. Throwing off your opponents’ rhythm is too good of an opportunity to pass up if you’re sure of yourself on the trivia.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it is good strategy but even alex doesn't like it.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Groovelord Neato posted:

it is good strategy but even alex doesn't like it.

That’s fair, and Alex can be set in his ways.

There are also some categories that are explicitly meant to be taken from top to bottom, and those categories Harry Friedman (the producer) specifically comes out on stage to tell the contestants to do so prior to getting back from the commercial break, according to people who have experienced such, but I don’t remember one happening anytime recently.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Maggie specifically told our group in the green room to avoid the Forrest Bounce and do things in order.

My bet is there are people out there who would do it simply because that was the instruction, even if they'd rather bounce around.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

alex's reasoning for disliking the bounce is the clue writers write a category to have a natural flow.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Really, really funny in the middle of the James run for teachers' FJ to be won by the leader borking the kind of answer you could write down as soon as you see the category but only betting $100.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

536 posted:

I dunno, we wouldn't get mad at the next Tiger Woods for taking a year or two off from his day job to train full time before he golfing professionally.

I am fan. Go James. gently caress the Jeopardy budget right up.

Counterpoint: Tiger Woods is competing against other people who do the same thing.

Maybe James is just the first of his kind, I don't know. It does seem problematic even though I can't really blame him.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Imagine if someone took a year off to practice for Wheel of Fortune

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

Iron Crowned posted:

Imagine if someone took a year off to practice for Wheel of Fortune

I remember reading some (non-SA) forums post where a guy detailed the absurdly deep analysis and practice he put in before his Wheel of Fortune appearance. And he did in fact totally trash his competition.

They don't have returning champions though, and that probably makes the difference. Game shows are unusual in that they're a competition where most competitors play exactly once in their lives. And Jeopardy is thus an unusual exception in an already unusual category.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
I think the whole issue is that Jeopardy! is an amateur competition where the questions are generally not that difficult, and contestants are generally selected for some balance of trivia knowledge and onscreen congeniality. Even Julia Collins had to audition three times to get over her nerves in front of the camera. If they selected for awkward, camera-unfriendly assholes who are world-class at trivia and buzzers, you'd probably have many more James Holzhauer-caliber contestants and a much worse show.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Yeah the whole idea of game shows is to see how "ordinary" people do at extraordinary challenges of skill and luck. World-class trivia masters are usually not ordinary in that sense.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

There's definitely a scale from "purely a wacky game" to "super serious competition". Nobody watches Deal or No Deal to see a guy with a calculator plug expected values into a loss function, and conversely nobody watches Ninja Warrior to see a bunch of sedentary everymen fall off the first obstacle.

Jeopardy is skill-heavy. Personally I watch it to admire the contestants and to see how well I do. When a true heavyweight comes on, so much the better. It's fun for the same reason the Olympics is.

But that's just my personal taste, and there's nothing wrong if yours is different.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
I don’t think the issue is that he is a heavy weight. I think the issue is that he is simply a douchebag.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

HookShot posted:

Maggie specifically told our group in the green room to avoid the Forrest Bounce and do things in order.

My bet is there are people out there who would do it simply because that was the instruction, even if they'd rather bounce around.

If I was a contestant, sure I'd like to make the producers and Alex happy, but I think I'd rather have 1.6 million dollars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

1glitch0 posted:

If I was a contestant, sure I'd like to make the producers and Alex happy, but I think I'd rather have 1.6 million dollars.

I think there’s differences between daily double hunting, starting with the high value clues, and just bouncing around the board to confuse your opponents (and J! crew). The value of the first two is obvious and the third is just kind of obnoxious and weird