Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
I keep forgetting how fickle some STARDOM fans can be. A day or two ago, some were getting up in arms about how we were getting Bea vs Toni at the upcoming Kourakuen Hall show. They thought it was a waste of resources and time. And STARDOM announced last night the match was being changed due to circumstances out of their control (read: WWE likely not wanting Bea to go over or draw with Toni). And now those same exact people are complaining about how WWE stole a DREAM MATCH from them. Oh yeah, and those same fans were getting incredibly pissy that Toni had the NXT UK Women's Championship with her during the press conference.

I'd go as far to say the matches they were replaced with are much better. Kagetsu vs Toni Storm, and Hazuki vs Bea Priestly.

Also the guy they replied to got called out pretty much:

https://twitter.com/we_are_stardom/status/1126063927345831936

DarkstarIV fucked around with this message at 15:47 on May 8, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

prove at least one of them being the same person or else.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

*WWE pulls a match* how dare people say WWE pulled a match!!!

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

Chris James 2 posted:

*WWE pulls a match* how dare people say WWE pulled a match!!!

No, those same fans were bitching about how this match should have never happened, and now that its been pulled, they are all complaining about it being pulled. Also in terms of storyline, there's a lot more to be invested in with the replacement matches in Hazuki vs Bea, and Toni vs Kagetsu.

Hazuki beat Bea in the Cinderella tournament and goaded her into placing the red belt on the line in this upcoming match. And Toni has had Kagetsu's number for awhile now.

DarkstarIV fucked around with this message at 16:06 on May 8, 2019

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

They could have done the lazy Gabe gently caress finish where Toni gets DQ'd but gets to do all her cool moves and gets to yell at the fans on the mic about how glad she never has to wrestle for stardom(a dumb promotion) ever again and she can't wait for these people booing to line up pay for the privilege of seeing her in a proper ring like nxt uk(a smart promotion). she will use hand gestures to emphasize the parentheses.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

coconono posted:

They could have done the lazy Gabe gently caress finish where Toni gets DQ'd but gets to do all her cool moves and gets to yell at the fans on the mic about how glad she never has to wrestle for stardom(a dumb promotion) ever again and she can't wait for these people booing to line up pay for the privilege of seeing her in a proper ring like nxt uk(a smart promotion). she will use hand gestures to emphasize the parentheses.

What would have happened: Time limit draw, AEW fans complain about how WWE wouldn't let Bea go over Toni, WWE fans complain about how weak Toni looked, and STARDOM fans get pissed off at yet another time limit draw.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
Bigger news

https://twitter.com/RealLeahVaughan/status/1125797380249587712

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

DarkstarIV posted:

Also the guy they replied to got called out pretty much:

https://twitter.com/we_are_stardom/status/1126063927345831936

"how do you know it's good? look how many pics we sold to the hornies, that's how

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

maybe she can unblock me now

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Mob posted:

"how do you know it's good? look how many pics we sold to the hornies, that's how

They know their audience.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Aphrodite posted:

They know their audience.

Isn’t this their entire business model?

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

Isn’t this their entire business model?

Yeah and I think they're kinda tame for Joshi.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Gumball Gumption posted:

Yeah and I think they're kinda tame for Joshi.

nah, Stardom is the worst for this kind of stuff. At least among the big feds running Tokyo. TJPW is the only OTHER one that does creep books of the underage members of their roster or at all really. (also coincidentally the only two major joshi promotions run by men)

GEORGE W BUSHI fucked around with this message at 19:11 on May 8, 2019

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

that kinda makes tjpw sound worse

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

no, it's definite that stardom is a lot worse. their business plan specifically mentions idols and stuff. tjpw is just a wrestling promotion that forces children to take pics in bikinis

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Super No Vacancy posted:

that kinda makes tjpw sound worse

I meant only other one. Stardom also does it and way more frequently. They're the two most suspect ones that I know of.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

PURE-J recently enacted a ban on the traditional headgear that wrestlers have worn since the beginning of JWP 27 years ago, in order to appeal to their key scared and horny young man audience. you have to believe there's a very long way to go until these things Are no longer en vogue, let alone unacceptable.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

nah, Stardom is the worst for this kind of stuff. At least among the big feds running Tokyo. TJPW is the only OTHER one that does creep books of the underage members of their roster or at all really. (also coincidentally the only two major joshi promotions run by men)

Gotcha, I don't know a ton about the promotions so I'm 100% talking out my rear end. I knew Stardom had the creep books but I thought it was standard. I didn't realize they did it with underage members which is ugh.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Gumball Gumption posted:

Gotcha, I don't know a ton about the promotions so I'm 100% talking out my rear end. I knew Stardom had the creep books but I thought it was standard. I didn't realize they did it with underage members which is ugh.

Don't get me wrong. You can get your hands on risqué 8x10s at pretty much any joshi promotion. Just usually being sold by the wrestlers themselves so the money is going to them as opposed to Stardom where it's going to Rossy (I assume and hope they at least get a cut). Stardom is the worst but not the only promotion appealing to the horny fans by any means.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

When I heard what Kris Wolf was getting paid for her Stardom shots, I was pretty appalled. Stardom, despite all the nice things I've said about its wrestling, has a ton scuzzy stuff going down.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I like Stardom a lot but I think having literal 13 year olds wrestling is dumb and weird, and selling photos of them is really gross

Demtor
Apr 23, 2008

"...you won't be able to walk, if you're always worried about crushing the ants beneath you..."
:( *fingers in ears, eyes shut* La la la la la la! :cripes:

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Demtor posted:

:( *fingers in ears, eyes shut* La la la la la la! :cripes:

Join me in supporting Marvelous. Their streaming service is cheaper, Chigusa Nagayo's side gig is rescuing stray dogs instead of creep books of 13 year olds and Takumi Iroha is the coolest wrestler in joshi and also a massive dork. It's amazing.

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

I'll take you up on that. I've been meaning to check out Marvelous ever since Iroha started making DDT appearances. Where's the streaming hosted at, YouTube? Their own site?

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

NuclearPotato posted:

I'll take you up on that. I've been meaning to check out Marvelous ever since Iroha started making DDT appearances. Where's the streaming hosted at, YouTube? Their own site?

https://freshlive.tv/marvelous

I also want to throw a recommendation in the direction of Kaori Yoneyama's promotion YMZ. It's a low-budget comedy indie that draws 60 people to its shows but still goes to the effort of maintaining an English language streaming service. They recently had a middle aged woman with no wrestling experience debut against deathmatch wrestler Isami Kodaka and it was fantastic. Asuka (not WWE ASUKA) shows up all the time and puts on high quality work rate matches as well. The people behind the scenes are all really nice too.

https://filmuy.com/ymz

GEORGE W BUSHI fucked around with this message at 18:25 on May 9, 2019

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
LaToya Ferguson's Encyclopedia of Women's Wrestling is out now and I'm enjoying it. It features 100 profiles of prominent women in the industry, past and present, and by its own admission is no means comprehensive. It's written in a very factual, uneditorializing manner, possibly to a fault at points (one could argue the Fabulous Moolah gets off lighter than she should), but it's committed to the professional stance.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

Maxwell Lord posted:

LaToya Ferguson's Encyclopedia of Women's Wrestling is out now and I'm enjoying it. It features 100 profiles of prominent women in the industry, past and present, and by its own admission is no means comprehensive. It's written in a very factual, uneditorializing manner, possibly to a fault at points (one could argue the Fabulous Moolah gets off lighter than she should), but it's committed to the professional stance.

LaToya is a strong writer in general. Has a very readable turn of phrase and has a way of summing up things that you haven't personally found a way to articulate yet.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I pre-ordered it because I'm a fan of her stuff on AV Club. (Anyone who manages to work in a reference to the Sexy Star/Rosemary incident in the headline of a GLOW recap is someone I respect.)

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 39 hours!
So I watched AEW All In, and really enjoyed the women's four-way match, which in turn led me down the rabbit hole of seeking out Tessa Blanchard and Britt Baker matches on YouTube. I'm basically an instant fan of both women after their AEW match, Britt in particular because she has similar facial features to an ex-girlfriend, which makes watching her matches a little surreal at times. :sweatdrop: But that said, I really think she's an excellent wrestler and I look forward to seeing more of her work when AEW launches on TNT.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
At last night’s EVE show they announced Jamie Hayter/Utami Hayashishita for Wrestle Queendom at York Hall... only to do a match that lead to them adding Nina Samuels to the match which makes it a worse match in my eyes. Perhaps this is them wanting to protect whoever doesn’t win the title by adding Nina to eat the pin but who really knows.

Main event is still Viper/KLR but both are done as of them so either they’re vacating the title or they’re doing some other gimmick to add someone to that match.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Nina’s decent enough she won’t bog the match down but her inclusion kinda obscures the Stardom history between Jamie and Utami. Jame debuted for stardom and gave a command performance on all fronts only to get overshadowed by Utami’s rise.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

was lucky enough to see Sareee wrestle twice today (she beat Aja Kong for the Diana title and then showed up as a mystery opponent for Rin Kadokura at Marvelous). She's really a contender for one of the best out there and it sucks that she's in a promotion that releases two DVDs a year in terms of output. Make sure to watch the matches Sendai Girls are putting out with her in them because she always brings her A game. She's facing Chihiro Hashimoto in a title vs title match at some point.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
I was at yesterday's TJPW house show in Osaka and Nodoka vs. Misao was pretty surprising! Has TJPW had a single chairshot since Hyper Misao vs. Jun Kasai? Because it has definitely had a lot more now, at least as far as I could tell from where I was sitting. Ended in a no-contest after Nodoka tried choking Misao out with her own cane, and Yuki holding her back while she screamed her head off at Misao. If this is where they're taking both women's angles, they could do a lot worse.

I'm a bigger Nodoka fan than most but even that aside it was just cool to see major story movement at one of the house shows we get in Osaka. TJPW's always fun here, but the last time it felt that important was when Rika made Miyu tap out leading up to her title match. So it was also real exciting when they announced they'll actually have the Princess Cup winner's title shot against Shoko Nakajima here in September.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
https://twitter.com/RealMMartinez/status/1127733674005471232

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Aja Kong, Yuka Sakazaki & Emi Sakura vs. Hikaru Shida, Riho & Ryo Mizunami has been added to Double or Nothing and I know (thanks Cavauro!) it's wild that two wrestlers I regularly see wrestle in front of 60 people in a room too small to hold a wrestling ring are going to Vegas to wrestle in front of 11000 people.

GEORGE W BUSHI fucked around with this message at 18:14 on May 13, 2019

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

I am here to confirm that it's wild.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Cavauro posted:

I am here to confirm that it's wild.

post updated to reflect this new information

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i wanna see you go wiiild

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

I expected but am still happily surprised to see a joshi showcase match at Double Or Nothing and I'm eager to see AEW expose more new stuff to a more mainstream audience

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Cavauro posted:

i wanna see you go wiiild

you can watch Gatoh Move uploads and see me go wild with polite applause for them