Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Faustine
Sep 2, 2018

Drunken Baker posted:

I might just watch The Terror again.

I just watched The Terror over the weekend and it made me very mad how much GoT totally wasted Tobias Menzies. He totally owns and they gave him a dumb flop like Edmure to play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

the "good" guys sacked casterly rock last season so if edmure was there he was presumably freed

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Doctor Faustine posted:

I just watched The Terror over the weekend and it made me very mad how much GoT totally wasted Tobias Menzies. He totally owns and they gave him a dumb flop like Edmure to play.

He was good as Brutus in Rome.

Rome was a really good show. HBO are stupid.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

stay tuned for a real shitshow in westworld, since their whole set burned down

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

poverty goat posted:

stay tuned for a real shitshow in westworld, since their whole set burned down

Didn't that show turn to poo poo immediately in season 2?

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

I'm bad with money and you have an avatar!

Randarkman posted:

He was good as Brutus in Rome.

Rome was a really good show. HBO are stupid.

Vorenus and Antony think so http://thewertzone.blogspot.com/2013/01/james-purefoy-and-kevin-mckidd-rule-out.html

McKidd and I had lunch the other day, and I said to him, "Have you been asked to do Game Of Thrones?" And he said, "I'd never do it. Because they stole our loving show." He worked out that if Rome had run for the entire seven seasons that it should have run, we would only have finished it last year. And he feels that HBO did Game of Thrones instead of us, so they stole our show. I kind of agree with him. I won't be doing Game Of Thrones, even if they ask me.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

lmao i had no idea what the relationship was between that guy and the dog, but even I knew something was up with that scene. it was fuckin weird. Just have the dog chewing on some bones or whatever, its a dog. you're leaving and it doesn't care. its got poo poo to eat.

But they did this long sad dog shot where it had weepy eyes lmaoooo it was sooo lame

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 15:11 on May 8, 2019

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

Randarkman posted:

For some reason the screenwriters decided to pander to the Reddit theorycrafting crowd that had previously pieced together what would happen in season 1 so came up with the most convoluted, non-sensical plotlines that none of them could predict, because they made no sense whatsoever, had no narrative thrust or payoff.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Randarkman posted:

They tried to keep the puzzle box time jump thing but made it so convoluted no one wanted to spend hours watching YouTube explainer videos.

Instead of a fun twist the show went all the way up its own rear end.

The story is still good, and a linear season 3 would be amazing with what they've set up.

But the chances of Chris Nolan's idiot brother getting his face out of his champagne glass full of his own farts is pretty much zero.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

The first 2 seasons of Game of Thrones were good too. Maybe HBO saved us all from watching Rome follow the same trajectory

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

The dogs are not even that big. Ghost this season certainly wasn't.

Pet the dog

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

Arcsquad12 posted:

The stuff with Jaime going back to Cersei even after everything is one of the few things that still makes thematic sense in this show. Much as I think it was a mistake to finish the political wheeling after the zombie apocalypse it's a good place to bring up how people often fail to let go of their past when they've been given many chances to become better people. Brienne and Jaime's relationship has been consistently good in the show but it is totally in line with Jaime to sabotage his own happiness because of his past like he doesn't deserve a chance at a new life even after saving the world.

That's a compelling motivation for him to go back. Too bad they did that in the span of one episode and they had to virgin shame Brienne to get there. Also I've put more thought into this stuff than the showrunners, who will just say "well Jaime is addicted to bad pussy" in the most monotone voices possible.
If they make an actual character say those words they might win another Emmy for Best Writing.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
I will not rise from this bed until I have hosed something!

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Hot Pie?
Gonna die

Red-haired lady?
Eh, maybe!

Dragon blonde?
Soon to be gone!

Jonny Snow?
Who the gently caress knows?

Big n Tall Knight?
Well, she might!

Man with no hand?
His death is planned!

Anime waif?
Nah, she’s safe!

Big white dog?
CGI budget hog!

Cersei the Queen?
Stabbed in the spleen

Tyrion of short stature?
Comin back atcha!

The Brothers Clegane?
Their blood will drain!

Euron of the sea?
The next day he won’t see!

Drogon the Black?
Ballista’d in the sack

Podrick’s big donger?
Not for much longer!

Ser Davos the Onion?
He’ll still be kickin’, son!

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

The story is still good, and a linear season 3 would be amazing with what they've set up.

But the chances of Chris Nolan's idiot brother getting his face out of his champagne glass full of his own farts is pretty much zero.

It's just Lost now. Every time a satisfying conclusion to a story thread fails to materialize they just punt it even farther up the rear end in a top hat of mystery

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Drunken Baker posted:

One of the other arguments I had was about agency and characters doing... stuff.

Their argument for Arya killing the Night King was that in a real war things are wild and crazy and unpredictable (conveniently ignoring the fact that her going for the backstab was an inherently setup thing by being spurred on by her best buddies, but I digress) and you know what? I'd agree... if it's done well and that's the kind of tone that suits the film.

I'm stealing this from the video linked earlier in the thread about the guy rewriting S08E03 and making it a lot better.

In his rewrite Arya mercy kills a fatally wounded Beric Dondarrion. In the climax, as the Night King is about to kill Bron, Jon Snow rushes at him instead of Arya. The Night King catches him just like he did with Arya, but just as he's about to kill Jon Snow, we see above his shoulder that a seemingly undead Beric Dondarrion, who we realize has been standing there this whole scene, leaps at him and stabs him with the Magic Dagger of +5 Night King Killing. As the Night King crumbles, Beric Dondarrion pulls off his face and reveals it was Arya using her Magic Assassin Powers.

The whole video is 100% worth watching because the dude's simple rewrite makes the episode a billion times cooler than the shitshow we had. Even if some of the bigger rewrites would've been unfeasible, changes like this would've given Jon Snow a lot more agency (now he just rode around on a dragon and then stumbled around lost), would've let Arya ACTUALLY USE THE poo poo WE WATCHED HER LEARN FOR SEEMINGLY 5000 episodes, and gives clever viewers the chance to notice Beric standing in the crowd of corpses in the buildup, giving them a chance to wonder what is going on and maybe realize what's coming.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Arcsquad12 posted:

The stuff with Jaime going back to Cersei even after everything is one of the few things that still makes thematic sense in this show. Much as I think it was a mistake to finish the political wheeling after the zombie apocalypse it's a good place to bring up how people often fail to let go of their past when they've been given many chances to become better people. Brienne and Jaime's relationship has been consistently good in the show but it is totally in line with Jaime to sabotage his own happiness because of his past like he doesn't deserve a chance at a new life even after saving the world.

That's a compelling motivation for him to go back. Too bad they did that in the span of one episode and they had to virgin shame Brienne to get there. Also I've put more thought into this stuff than the showrunners, who will just say "well Jaime is addicted to bad pussy" in the most monotone voices possible.

It doesn't really make sense, because Jaime's whole character arc has involved treating his past more realistically and healthily than any other character in the series. In the books, there's a book on the history of the Kingsguard and it mostly tells the story of how the commanders where these awesome mega-knights and there's pages upon pages talking about all the deeds that Barristan Selmy pulled off in his storied career. One of my favorite scenes is when, after months of needling, Jaime finally writes his own entry in that book and it's a single page which basically boils down to "Jaime was a total scrub who thought he was hot poo poo. Here's a list of people who beat him in tournaments. Three kings died on his watch, one of them from being stabbed in the back by Jaime."

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

jon snow having agency and being effective in battle would have been the most ridiculous part of the whole mess

e: vvv first ep was great

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 15:42 on May 8, 2019

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
How's that Chernobyl series?

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
Chernobyl is off to a great start.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Cersei: "LOL I'm going to kill you Missandei. You, who would die for your queen. I'm going to kill you right now. On top of this wall with no railing, the edge of which we are both standing on."

Missandei: "I, Missandei of Narth, whose hands are not tied behind my back, acknowledge that you are going to kill me here, on the edge of this wall with no railing, as we stand side by side on the edge, very high up, with nothing to prevent a fall from occurring. My Queen that I would die for and for whom I would do anything to help her win the war against you shall just have to watch as I die, here, way up high, hands not tied behind my back, as we both precariously stand on a ledge."

Cersei: :smug:

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018
This is the thread for autistic men incapable of ever genuinely enjoying anything right?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

It doesn't really make sense, because Jaime's whole character arc has involved treating his past more realistically and healthily than any other character in the series. In the books, there's a book on the history of the Kingsguard and it mostly tells the story of how the commanders where these awesome mega-knights and there's pages upon pages talking about all the deeds that Barristan Selmy pulled off in his storied career. One of my favorite scenes is when, after months of needling, Jaime finally writes his own entry in that book and it's a single page which basically boils down to "Jaime was a total scrub who thought he was hot poo poo. Here's a list of people who beat him in tournaments. Three kings died on his watch, one of them from being stabbed in the back by Jaime."

You've made the mistake of equating book Jaime with show Jaime like they're the same person. Book Jaime gets his agency back a lot sooner and is a better person.

Show Jaime "is addicted"

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
I hope Jon and Davos brought enough water for their desert journey.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

This is the thread for autistic men incapable of ever genuinely enjoying anything right?

I guess so, you've showed up.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

Turn on your monitor.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Chernobyl is good but they skipped the part where the operators manually took out all the control rods after accidentally having inserted them all the way inducing a choked reaction which was not providing enough to power for the actual test they were doing which involved shutting off the turbines which power the water pumps but the turbines require a minimum power level at shutoff to provide the residual energy to power the pumps for one minute to power up diesel generators at which point the operators inexplicably hit the emergency shut down button (maybe realizing they had induced a extremely unsafe condition as the power level started spiking because of steam voids from operating the water pumps at a low power state) which due to a unknown design flaw combined with the choked reactor condition spiked the power for a few seconds ruptured the fuel casings and permanently jammed the control rods into almost full power position until the steam pressure exploded. The show is mainly about the liquidators and soviet conference rooms I guess

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

Glenn Quebec posted:

:iceburn:

e: also I'm late to Westworld chat, but I would like to add my very important opinion that Westworld is suuuuuuuper bad. Staggeringly bad. How it wasn't canned after season 2 is the show's greatest mystery.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

That seems like an extremely cool thing to skip.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

Glenn Quebec posted:

:vince:

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Glenn Quebec posted:

A simple shriek or violent outburst would have sufficed

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

ngl, highly technical nuclear reactor poo poo sounds like a good thing to skip!

also it seems like Chernobyl, the show, is more about the cover up than a forensic analysis of what happened inside the reactor.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
lol @ complaining that posters in a mock thread are incapable of enjoying things without any trace of irony.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Cersei: "LOL I'm going to kill you Missandei. You, who would die for your queen. I'm going to kill you right now. On top of this wall with no railing, the edge of which we are both standing on."

Missandei: "I, Missandei of Narth, whose hands are not tied behind my back, acknowledge that you are going to kill me here, on the edge of this wall with no railing, as we stand side by side on the edge, very high up, with nothing to prevent a fall from occurring. My Queen that I would die for and for whom I would do anything to help her win the war against you shall just have to watch as I die, here, way up high, hands not tied behind my back, as we both precariously stand on a ledge."

Cersei: :smug:

Was thinking similar.

Is Cersei going to push her off? Is she going to try to murder suicide?

Nawwwwwwwww

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Glenn Quebec posted:

haha nice i was gonna say "ya and ur seat still has the miscolored butt impression!!!'

due to the fat butt squishing the seat and getting so many farts in it, owned

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
I genuinely enjoy both this thread and Game of Thrones.

Both are terrible but that doesn't stop me.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Chomp8645 posted:

lol @ complaining that posters in a mock thread are incapable of enjoying things without any trace of irony.

This is good but I would much prefer a paragraphs long post about why I am being illogical thank you in advance

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

I enjoy the in depth heraldry and apocalyptic world building of grrm

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

This is good but I would much prefer a paragraphs long post about why I am being illogical thank you in advance

This is a thread about being an unhappy autist not sniff your own farts, thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Glenn Quebec posted:

This is a thread about being an unhappy autist not sniff your own farts, thank you.

excuse me i can do whatever i want with these cushions after my guests leave the viewing party