Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
Whenever we unlock enhancements Splinter's deck is gonna get lit. So much gold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Reik posted:

Whenever we unlock enhancements Splinter's deck is gonna get lit. So much gold.

+1 Move to the top of Scurry :getin:

Edit: Oh man, Strengthen on Empathetic Assault would be pretty nice!

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

I sent in A+B orders since I'm not doing anything interactive. I'm just using Crater for experience and grabbing another coin.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Some Numbers posted:

+1 Move to the top of Scurry :getin:

Edit: Oh man, Strengthen on Empathetic Assault would be pretty nice!

I prefer Bless on Empathetic Assault but either is good. I also like Wound on the top of Frigid Apparition :black101:

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Cragheart is kinda sad for enhancements since you can't enhance initiative or true damage, and enhancing AOE abilities is extremely expensive. Usually you're best off adding movement to the bottom of some of his cards.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Elephant Ambush posted:

I prefer Bless on Empathetic Assault but either is good. I also like Wound on the top of Frigid Apparition :black101:
Or the bottom of Perverse Edge.

Zurai posted:

Cragheart is kinda sad for enhancements since you can't enhance initiative or true damage, and enhancing AOE abilities is extremely expensive. Usually you're best off adding movement to the bottom of some of his cards.
For my Cragheart, I put Bless on the Heal of Nature's Lift.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Zurai posted:

Curse on Dirt Tornado takes a long time to save up for but is absolutely worth it.

I usually add a jump to a bottom move after that but there are other cool fun cheap things you can do like Wound on the top of Massive Boulder.

As you can see I really like Wound. :)

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Zurai posted:

Curse on Dirt Tornado :getin:

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Zurai posted:

Alternatives to Cursenado:

* +1 Move on the bottom of Rumbling Advance can reap dividends.
* Bless/Strengthen on the bottom of Sentient Growth is awesome for your pals
* The bottom of L3 Blunt Force can take a Strengthen Self enhancement, which is fantastic since it effectively lasts two rounds, that way. (And I grew really disenchanted with its competitor, Clear the Way, in general; it was a neat and thematic trick, but it was almost always disappointing in practice due to how difficult it was to usefully position the obstacle afterwards.)
* Either a +1 or (preferably) Wound on top of Massive Boulder is awesome. You keep the card your whole career, so enhance that dude.

dwarf74 fucked around with this message at 21:02 on May 7, 2019

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Some Numbers posted:

Or the bottom of Perverse Edge.

For my Cragheart, I put Bless on the Heal of Nature's Lift.

I think the bottom of Perverse Edge needs +1 range before wound.

Strengthen on a bottom action is great because you can get two top action attacks with it.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Reik posted:

Strengthen on a bottom action is great because you can get two top action attacks with it.

Two turns of attacks, period. The next turn could involve both a top and bottom attack. Combined with some higher level cards the Mindthief can be a chainsaw.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Reik posted:

Yeah, +1 Range is also quite good.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
Crypt of the Damned, Conclusion

Pending actions from last Round posted:

- None!

20. Master Splinter the Vermling Mindthief (Some Numbers) posted:

- Master Splinter uses Scurry (bot)! LOOT2, gains 3 coin token(s). Gains 1XP. LOSS card!
- Master Splinter uses Feedback Loop (top)! Persistent Bonus active: on your melee attacks gain SHIELD1 (till end of round). Gains 1XP.

38. Rocky the Savvas Cragheart (Zurai) posted:

- Rocky uses Crater (bot)! Consumes EARTH. Jumps1 to F1. Gains 2XP.
- Rocky uses Earthen Clod (top)! No action taken!
Rocky executes end of turn looting! Gains 1 coin token(s).
Zurai you can't execute an attack if you can't target an enemy with it, so you won't be able to trigger Backup Ammo, unfortunately.

40. Earth Demons posted:

- Earth Demon 1(E) HEAL3, Self!
Earth Demon 1(E) is at 9 HP
Ivan Drago has a second wind!

61. Bullwinkle the Inox Brute (Elephant Ambush) posted:

- Bullwinkle uses Trample (bot)! Jumps2 to C1.. Attacks Earth Demon 1(E) for 2 (2base, +0mod) damage! Gains 2XP. LOSS card!
Earth Demon 1(E) is at 7 HP
- Bullwinkle uses Overwhelming Assault (top)! Attacks Earth Demon 1(E) for 6 (6base, +0mod) damage! Gains 2XP. LOSS card!
Earth Demon 1(E) is at 1 HP

Man this Demon is tough! Not tough enough to justify another round, though, not against Bullwinkle's 2 initiative 18 ATK2 - that are faster than any of the Demon's cards. Bullwinkle has pulled a +1 and x2BLESS on the next two cards, btw! So the Scenario ends here with the following events:
- Bullwinkle kills the demon with his first attack and moves to loot the coin (+1 coin token)
- Rocky can't generate more XP, so it just moves on top of the only coin left (+1 coin token)
- Master Splinter can't recover his discarded augment to farm xp (cause it's the only card in her discard pile), so she just chills!

Scenario Ends!

Conclusion posted:

It is clear that you have disrupted some sort of ritual here. These elemental demons belong on an entirely different plane of existence, but the cultists have somehow managed to pull them through to this one. On the altar in the back room, there is a wealth of scribblings on these rituals. Not all the writing is intelligible, but you get the sense that this crypt is a place of power once used by an ancient civilization. The ancients tapped the power of the elements to enhance their own lives, and while their exact fate is beyond your knowledge, it clearly didn’t end well. Among the scripts you also find notes on a couple of other places of power in the area. One appears to see heavy use with the cult and the other is marked as being overrun by vicious undead. It looks as though you have opportunities to either disrupt more of their work (5) or get in their good graces by helping to clear out a threat. (6)

Rewards posted:

New Locations:
- Ruinous Crypt (5)
- Decaying Crypt (6)
Victory Rewards
+6XP each!
Treasure Chest 46, that we never got to see for...reasons :mmmhmm: contained this:

A bloody trap! 3 damage + POISON in this case.

Battle Goals posted:

These are the Battle Goals that have been picked by our players for Scenario11
- Master Splinter: Hunter: kill 1+ Elite enemy during this Scenario. Some Numbers has managed to accomplish the Battle Goal! BG Completed, +1 Checkmark. +1 PERK!
- Rocky: Professional: use your equipped items a number of times equal to or greater than 4 during the Scenario. Zurai has managed to accomplish the Battle Goal! BG Completed, +1 Checkmark. +1 PERK!
- Bullwinkle: Dynamo: overkill a monster by 3+ HP during the Scenario. Elephant Ambush has NOT managed to accomplish the Battle Goal!
Master Splinter and Rocky catch up with Bullwinkle.

Final Stats posted:

These are the final stats for our heroes:

Each coin token at Scenario level=1 is worth 2 gold. Updated $$$ and XP for our party are as follows:
- Master Splinter: +14XP. (New Total 92XP) and +18 gold (New Total 62 gold).
- Rocky:+18XP. (New Total 97XP) and +10 gold (New Total 20 gold). LEVEL UP!
- Bullwinkle:+20XP. (New Total 103XP) and +4 gold (New Total 24 gold). LEVEL UP!
Rocky and Bullwinkle are promoted to level 3! Master Splinter is just 3XP shy, unless I've somehow miscounted :v:
These are the options for Rocky:

And these are the ones for Bullwinkle:

Personal Quest progression posted:

- Master Splinter: no progress yet.
- Rocky: Still 3/4 (Bandit Commander, Merciless Overseer, Captain of the Guard).
- Bullwinkle: +2 Unique monsters killed! 13/20 (Bandit Archer, Living Bones, Living Corpse, Inox Archer, Inox Shaman, Inox Guard, Vermling Scout, Merciless Overseer, City Archer, City Guard, Captain of the Guard, Cultist, Earth Demon).
Updated Sheets

Back in town...

City Event 09 posted:

Which one will it be?

YOU CAN NOW VOTE FOR THE FOLLOWING THINGS (and please remember to bold your choices:
- MVP/Play of the Game for Scenario 11
- City Event outcome, A or B!
- Master Splinter's new 1xPerk!
- Rocky's new Card and 2xPerks!
- Bullwinkle's new Card and 1xPerk!

Please do not vote on our next destination or Money Matters yet :)

A big thank you to our players, Some Numbers, Zurai and Elephant Ambush! Hope you had fun :) I'll reach out to Flamester, power word- Jeb! and Fat Samurai - since they've skipped the first time - to see if they are around! SalTheBard, Zulily Zoetrope and Narsham are the potential subs :)

As always if anyone wants to sign up just let me know itt!

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 13:20 on May 8, 2019

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Adriaaaaaaaan!

Good work, everyone! That was pretty free.

That Italian Guy posted:

YOU CAN NOW VOTE FOR THE FOLLOWING THINGS (and please remember to bold your choices:

Please do not vote on our next destination or Money Matters yet :)

MVP: Rocky for clearing out most of the upper room solo

City Event: Option B. We have plenty of money

Master Splinter perk: Replace -2 with +0. The -2 is basically another miss IMO so let's get rid of it.

Rocky card: Clear the Way. Throwing obstacles owns.

Rocky perks: Replace a -1 with a +1 and ignore negative item effects

Bullwinkle card: this one is tough because I like both level 3 cards but I have to go with Brute Force

Bullwinkle perk: Add a +3 :black101:

And yes of course that was fun. Thanks again for letting me play :)

Elephant Ambush fucked around with this message at 13:48 on May 8, 2019

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Elephant Ambush posted:

MVP: Rocky for clearing out most of the upper room solo

City Event: Option B. We have plenty of money

Master Splinter perk: Replace -2 with +0. The -2 is basically another miss IMO so let's get rid of it.

Rocky card: Clear the Way. Throwing obstacles owns.

Rocky perks: Replace a -1 with a +1 and ignore negative item effects

Bullwinkle card: this one is tough because I like both level 3 cards but I have to go with Brute Force

Bullwinkle perk: Add a +3 :black101:

And yes of course that was fun. Thanks again for letting me play :)

I agree with all of these choices

Plan Elephant

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Rocky Card: Look, CtW owns, thematically; it's the kind of thing you want a Cragheart to do. For those reasons, it's what I took when I played a Cragheart. But if I played another Crag, I would not take it again, because in 3+ player, the positioning requirements are awful. It also - the worst crime - sucks up charges of Backup Ammunition for no benefit. For every scenario it was fun, it sucked for two or three other ones. And even when it was fun, it was rarely effective.

OTOH, Blunt Force has a good initiative (cragheart fast!), a situational top loss, and a bottom which is basically "Move 2, get 1 xp" until you can enhance it with Strengthen at which point it owns bones.

Rocky: Blunt Force

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Blunt Force looks pretty meh to me as a cragheart player. The top is something I would rarely use and the bottom is basically a default move with 1 XP which is not at all exciting for a level 3 card. The initiative is sexy, I admit, but I can't support taking a card with a very situational loss top with a move 2 bottom just because it has halfway decent initiative. This party already has two characters who are able to kill the poo poo out of single targets, but neither Splinter nor Bullwinkle are very good at multi-target damage, so that's Rocky's role. Clear the Way does that effectively and thematically and Clear the Way into Explosive Punch is super fun.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
Rocky & Bullwinkle pick Blunt Force and Brute Force because they're a pair of pals.

MVP as Rocky for the wicked tornado in the hallway and piercing bow blowing up the elite wind demon

City Event Option B

Master Splinter perk: Remove two -1s removing two -1 cards is slightly better than replacing a -2 with a +0 for consistent attacks. City event B looks like a prosperity generating event though, so if it is we'll end up getting to pick both perks regardless.
Rocky Perk: Replace a -1 with +1 and ignore item effects We'll want to buy hide armor if we do this, if we want to buy something else do 2x replace -1 with +1
Bullwinkle perk: Add a +3

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

MVP: Rocky, for some key Boulders.
City Event: B
Mindthief Perk: Replace the -2 with a +0
Cragheart: Clear the Way, Replace a -1 with a +1 and Ignore negative Item effects. It's time for Rocky to get some armor.
Brute: Hook and Chain is way better than any of you people are giving it credit for. Also add the +3

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
Current Rocky Deck

We'll play Backup Ammunition as a loss, so we've got 10 cards left.

Solid Top Actions
-Rumbling Advance: fast
-Crater: slow
-Dirt Tornado: slow
-Massive Boulder: slow

If we assume we play these as top actions, that leaves our bottom actions as:
-Rock Tunnel: Loss move, pretty much just Move 2 @ 41
-Earthen Clod: Heal 2 Range 3, but probably tied with Heaving Swing for 5th best top action, so one of these will be the top.
-Avalanche: Very situational, most of the time it's Move 2 @ 75
-Forceful Storm: Very Situational, most of the time it's Move 2 @ 53
-Heaving Swing: Solid action, but could be played as 5th top action.
-Explosive Punch: Solid action

Our bottom actions are pretty garbage with Rocky compared to our solid top actions, so I'd value Blunt Force and Sentient Growth higher due to them have good non-loss bottom actions. Since our three strong range attacks are slow, Blunt Force is probably the better option. Also, Retaliate isn't something you want to plan around since monster draw is unpredictable, but a free Retaliate 1 isn't bad.

Reik fucked around with this message at 15:39 on May 8, 2019

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Reik posted:

Our bottom actions are pretty garbage with Rocky compared to our solid top actions, so I'd value Blunt Force and Sentient Growth higher due to them have good non-loss bottom actions. Since our three strong range attacks are slow, Blunt Force is probably the better option. Also, Retaliate isn't something you want to plan around since monster draw is unpredictable, but a free Retaliate 1 isn't bad.
Oh yeah, Sentient Growth is still out there too. That's also a good choice. I think Blunt Force has the better upside (better initiative on a slow class, the free XP, and the long-game bonus of adding Strengthen to the bottom) but SG is a good card, too.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

I still don't get how "move 2, 1 xp" is a "good" bottom action, especially when it's tied to a top loss which doesn't fit at all with either our existing deck or our party.

The way I see it, our choice (ignoring Sentient Growth for now) is as follows:

Blunt Force has good initiative, a situational loss top which overlaps strongly with what the other two party members do, and a bottom which is only very slightly above default. This will be used basically exclusively as a 21 initiative move 2 (maybe used as a garbage time 2 xp loss at the end, but Clear the Way can be used exactly the same way without being a loss) which would be great if it was a level 1 card and not competing with another card as a permanent selection.

Clear the Way has middling initiative (actually towards the better end for Craghearts), a high quality top which is our strongest currently available non-loss AOE attack and which also provides utility and a setup to our strongest (but loss) AOE in Explosive Punch, and a bottom which will mostly be used as a default move 2 if at all but has situational upside unlike Blunt Force's bottom.

For Bullwinkle, I second the "Hook and Chain is way better than y'all are giving it credit for" emotion. It's a good non-loss ranged attack which can be used to trigger traps in some cases tied to an excellent bottom. Brute Force's top is very meh for a level 3 card and its bottom looks great until you see the initiative 51 on the card; shield needs to be used at very high initiative to be consistently worthwhile, so there are very few cards you can pair the bottom with effectively.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Zurai posted:

Clear the Way has middling initiative (actually towards the better end for Craghearts), a high quality top which is our strongest currently available non-loss AOE attack and which also provides utility and a setup to our strongest (but loss) AOE in Explosive Punch, and a bottom which will mostly be used as a default move 2 if at all but has situational upside unlike Blunt Force's bottom.
I mean, it's only a good setup for Explosive Punch until next level, when you get a much better setup for it.

I am only speaking of my own experiences running a Cragheart, and that's that I routinely found CtW disappointing, to the point where it left my deck around Level 6 or so, and was just about always my first lost card on a long rest. The positioning requirements were just not workable in a lot of scenarios - you need to start next to an obstacle, then find a completely empty hex that doesn't block off areas, and then you need enemies to all be standing around that empty spot. And it's only an attack 2 or 3, when Rock Slide is dealing 2 straight. (And since your initiative is really bad, it's very hard to plan around; the odds are good some of the monsters will move before you get a chance to throw that rock.) Even if it didn't just eat a charge of Backup Ammo, it didn't work that well.

Maybe it'd be better on 3 than it was for me with 4 players. But my ultimate verdict was that it's not a great card.

(Besides, bringing along fast cards that just move 2 is kind of a Cragheart sub-theme ;))

e: Don't get me wrong, when CtW works, it's hilarious and thematically awesome. So I do get it. I held onto it for sentimental reasons long after it stopped being useful.

dwarf74 fucked around with this message at 16:12 on May 8, 2019

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
As a Cragheart player Clear the Way owns

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Zurai posted:

I still don't get how "move 2, 1 xp" is a "good" bottom action, especially when it's tied to a top loss which doesn't fit at all with either our existing deck or our party.

Move 2, 1 xp, Retaliate 1 @ 21 initaitive is a good bottom action for Cragheart considering the rest of the deck. The top action is good but requires an adjacent single hex obstacle to function. If you don't have a single hex obstacle to work with you have to either make one with Avalanche or use the bottom action, which is not a good loss action so you'd be using it as a Move 2 @ 43 initiative.

Also, Blunt Force's top action isn't a pushover either. An attack 8 loss isn't excellent for a level 3 card, but it allows Rocky to deal out significant single target damage if needed, which is not something they have the option of doing now.

On a semi-related note, I highly suggest Rocky players start bringing Unstable Upheaval if only to use it as a 13 initiative basic Move 2.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

dwarf74 posted:

The positioning requirements were just not workable in a lot of scenarios - you need to start next to an obstacle

No you don't? It's a top, which means you can use your bottom to move next to an obstacle.

quote:

then find a completely empty hex that doesn't block off areas

I have never found this to be a problem, personally. There are no one-tile-wide pathways by default and vanishingly few one-tile-wide pathways created by obstacles -- and remember you could just pick up one of the obstacles making the chokepoint and move it somewhere more convenient. Or you could create a chokepoint in your party's favor. Clear the Way is, IIRC, the only way to actually move an obstacle (as opposed to destroying it) in the entire game. It's a unique card with both utility and damage simultaneously.

There are a couple scenarios which have individual rooms that make this difficult (there are like 20 "water" difficult terrain overlay tiles in the box and there are a couple scenarios which use every single goddamn one of them) but they are very much the exception rather than the expected.

quote:

and then you need enemies to all be standing around that empty spot

It's not that hard to find 2 enemies adjacent to the same empty square within range 4. Every single room in this last scenario had that happen, although this is one of the most obstacle-light scenarios so you would have needed to use the bottom "create two obstacles" card for ammo everywhere but the final room. That's relatively uncommon in my experience, I've managed to use Clear the Way fruitfully pretty much every time I've played since level 3.

As for using Blunt Force exclusively as a move 2 at 21 initiative, why? Can you point to a turn in the last scenario where things would have gone significantly better if I'd used Blunt Force for initiative and movement instead of whichever card I used instead? With a primarily ranged build, going quickly isn't as important because you only care about half of the benefits of going first (specifically, you don't have to get out of dodge or kill the enemy before they get the chance to attack), and having a ranged attack rather than melee means you can generally still make a worthwhile attack even if all the enemies move before you do. Melee DPS characters have to have at least a couple good initiative cards because otherwise they'll lose entire turns to enemies moving out of range before they can attack, but ranged characters very rarely encounter that. Having a second low initiative card would be nice, but only if the card itself is useful on its own merits. I wouldn't take a 00 with blank top and bottom as any character, and Blunt Force IMO is only very slightly better than a blank top and bottom in our circumstances.

If our party was, for example. Cragheart, Spellweaver, Tinker, or Cragheart, Spellweaver/Tinker, Scoundrel, I'd be way more in favor of Blunt Force because it would either fill a missing single target damage hole in the party's skillset or supplement the ability of the Cragheart to provide a melee buddy that the Scoundrel desperately needs. But our current party composition really devalues it, IMO. We don't need a single target loss melee attack and the 21 initiative is a luxury tied to a card we otherwise would never consider taking.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

dwarf74 posted:

Rocky Card: Look, CtW owns, thematically; it's the kind of thing you want a Cragheart to do. For those reasons, it's what I took when I played a Cragheart. But if I played another Crag, I would not take it again, because in 3+ player, the positioning requirements are awful. It also - the worst crime - sucks up charges of Backup Ammunition for no benefit.

What, no, why? Either you get an extra attack at 2 damage 4 range or Backup Ammo doesn't trigger at all.

I mean, I fully agree with picking Blunt Force for Rocky (good initiative, top is a decent loss, bot is usable if :mediocre:), but that interaction is not how it should work.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Omobono posted:

What, no, why? Either you get an extra attack at 2 damage 4 range or Backup Ammo doesn't trigger at all.

Unfortunately, no. Clear the Way already hits every single target it can hit (since the only range is "hexes adjacent to the obstacle", and it already targets them all); and Backup Ammo triggers every time you do a Ranged Attack, even if no extra target is available (you just waste the "Target X" part of it).

From the FAQ:

Clear the Way (Card 132) posted:

The top attacks are considered ranged attacks. Also, the card specifies which targets may be affected (all adjacent targets) so Add Target applied to the attack would not grant any additional targets.

In fact, RAW and without the FAQ, those attack would be Melee instead of Ranged, since no Range is specified in the Attack itself, only in the distance you can move the obstacle. It's a bit of a wonky card, cause it's creating a bunch of Range 1 Ranged Attacks that don't suffer from disadvantage for some reason.

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 16:54 on May 8, 2019

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Good initiative is also extremely helpful for AoE attacks. And it's always better to kill an enemy before it gets to do whatever stuff it was going to do, even at range. (Especially at higher levels when debuffs become a lot more frequent.)

I think a Cragheart would probably take a Move 2/Attack 2 with 0 initiative in a heartbeat. After all, many haul around Unstable Upheaval, and it's just at 13! (In fairness, UU at least has a nice top loss for end of scenario.) Later on, I snagged Meteor for a similar purpose, even though its top is hugely situational.

Getting 2 in an AoE is fine enough, but that's also kind of the default state for as long as Backup Ammo lasts. Getting the obstacle in a useful spot is definitely the dream, but again, I just found Rock Slide to be more reliable and useful, filling a similar niche.

Fair point re: moving obstacles, tho.

With the party comp, I'm actually thinking more and more about Sentient Growth, too, given how the bottom is a quick poison clear, and the top is good when you have melee allies. I still think I'd go Blunt Force with the plan of enhancing it, tho.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Enhancing Blunt Force's bottom is pretty expensive. +50 gold just for being a level 3 card. That's 80 gold to turn it into a Move 3 or, what, 110 to turn it into Move 2 Strengthen? I forget exactly what Strengthen costs. Pretty pricey for a character with zero good loot actions.

I'm not really gonna argue any further on Clear the Way vs Blunt Force; I think both sides have said pretty much what there is to say. It's certainly not a disaster whichever way it ends up going for that choice, unlike some classes.

I'll still argue for Hook and Chain, though. I don't think either level 3 card is a slam dunk for the Brute but I do think H&C is better most of the time.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Zurai posted:

Enhancing Blunt Force's bottom is pretty expensive. +50 gold just for being a level 3 card. That's 80 gold to turn it into a Move 3 or, what, 110 to turn it into Move 2 Strengthen? I forget exactly what Strengthen costs. Pretty pricey for a character with zero good loot actions.
Yeah it's definitely pricey, but Strengthen is the enhancement of choice there. It gives you two rounds of Advantage on a non-loss with good initiative and XP (and free retaliate 1, I guess?). It's pretty efficient for a 100 gold enhancement.

And yeah, I think all three of the cards have good stuff going for them. I'd personally take Blunt Force, but I can understand if this Let's Play would prefer CtW because it's the much more 'iconic' Cragheart card.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Piell posted:

As a Cragheart player Clear the Way owns

Yeah it's great. I have a level 9 Cragheart right now and while I don't take it in every scenario I take it frequently.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
The top of Hook and Chain is really bad for a level 3 card. It's the Tinkerer's level 1 Hook Shot with +1 attack. The bottom of Hook and Chain has a potential to be a high value action, but it's a situational bottom action attached to a really bad top action. If we took Juggernaut over Fatal Advance at level 2 it may be a good choice just to get a ~40 initiative Move 4 to fuel Balanced Measures, but we've already got Fatal Advance.

Brute Force is a good upgrade to Sweeping Blow, allowing us to go in and soften up some enemies while protecting ourselves somewhat with muddle. The bottom action is also very good when a lot of mobility isn't needed.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Brute Force is an attack 2 that will almost never hit more than 2 targets tied to a low movement shield card with bad initiative. Looking at the available Brute cards, the only cards I'd be comfortable pairing it with to reliably get that Shield off in time are Provoking Roar, Shield Bash, Eye for an Eye, and Wall of Doom. Of those, Provoking Roar is not going to even be in Bullwinkle's hand very often because it's bad, Shield Bash is competing for a bottom shield action and the top is a loss action which devalues the shield on Brute Force's bottom, and Eye for an Eye's top is extremely situational (very good in its situation, but still situational). Wall of Doom is a great pairing but it only works once per scenario and may not get taken every time either because both sides are situational.

That leaves us picking a card with an extremely marginal upgrade over Sweeping Blow's top, with slightly better initiative and a bottom which is significantly worse than Sweeping Blow's unless paired with one of two specific cards (one of which might not even be in our hand), and even then provides less movement.

Hook and Chain's top may not be spectacular, but you can't compare cards across classes. The Tinkerer is a very different character than the Brute and their cards are designed with different goals in mind. For the Brute, an Attack 3 Range 3 Pull 2 is a reasonable if not really exciting top, even at level 3. And the bottom is potentially as much as a Move 6 Attack 6 non-loss action with boots. Even with a more typical and boring use it's a Move 2 Attack 2 which is super useful to have.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Blunt Force, Hook and Chain, City Option A

Blunt Force because Big Spectacle Hits seem to be Rocky's specialty.

Hook and Chain; Bottom-of-card attack and move actions seem pretty rare. Could help really pile on the damage when needed. The pull is also an effect we don't have in the party right now.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

PMs are out!

If you can't make it, please let me know and I'll sub the next players in line in :)

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

That Italian Guy posted:

MVP/Play of the Game: Bullwinkle for soloing the bottom room. Though a demerit for not opening the chest ;)
City Event: I'm fine with either. Let's go with B and hope it's a Prosperity tick.
Master Splinter's Perk: Remove two -1 cards
Rocky's new Card and 2x Perks: Clear the Way, Ignore Negative Item Effects, and Replace a -1 card with a +1 card
Bullwinkle's new Card and 1x Perk: Hook and Chain and Add a +3 card

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
You're right that you'll almost never hit 3 targets with Brute Force, but it's much easier to hit those two targets. Muddle is also a strong effect, I believe it's about -1 damage on average with the monster deck.

Brute Force's bottom is great for opening doors, and unless you're fighting especially fast enemies you should be able to get the shield off with cards like spare dagger and skewer without issue.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Hook and Chain is actually really good. The top is the same as Spare Dagger but with an optional added effect which is an upside. The bottom is situational yes but when it works it works really well. Worst case scenario is a short move and small basic attack before adding another top attack onto it.

I just think Brute Force is better since Bullwinkle's primary role on the team is tank and that helps. Yeah the initiative is poo but you can pair it with a faster initiative top and do fine.

All the people talking about short move bottoms on Rocky and Bullwinkle, remember that they both have Boots of Striding. That's an important factor.

Reik posted:

You're right that you'll almost never hit 3 targets with Brute Force, but it's much easier to hit those two targets. Muddle is also a strong effect, I believe it's about -1 damage on average with the monster deck.

Brute Force's bottom is great for opening doors, and unless you're fighting especially fast enemies you should be able to get the shield off with cards like spare dagger and skewer without issue.

Remember that the door opener gets to finish their turn before enemies go so Brute Force bottom with Boots of Striding is great for opening doors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

People are also missing that Hook and Chain into Balanced Measure is Move 4/Attack 4/Attack 4.

Which is really really good.

Boots make it even better!