Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

One thing I thought was kinda cool in Endgame is there's a decent chance the thing that kicked Howard Stark and Hank Pym's feud (about Stark always wanting to get his hands on Pym's tech) into high gear was Cap stealing his Pym particles when they went back to the 70s.

Probably not true but it's a neat thought and fits the overall feel as well.

Nah, that’s not how time travel works in the MCU. Changing the past doesn’t change YOUR past, it just creates a new timeline that branches off the original. That’s why they quickly nix the “let’s just kill baby Thanos” plan and it’s how 2023 Nebula survives killing 2014 Nebula. Endgame created a few unresolved branch timelines like the one where Loki escapes custody in 2012 with the Tesseract and the one where Thanos, Nebula, Gamora, and the Black Order all essentially die in 2014 by traveling to 2023 and not coming back.

Promoted Pawn has a new favorite as of 00:31 on May 8, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
True, BUT... like I said, it's a nice thought and fits in with the quarrel they have going anyway :3:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I believe that they (Bugs and Mickey) had to deliver the exact same number of words, as well.

Even with that agreement, that poo poo would never fly today, and I'm sad about that.

Fuckin film is lightning in a bottle, holy poo poo.

Apparently having the ducks share most of their screentime was a workaround for that.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Apparently having the ducks share most of their screentime was a workaround for that.

Apparently another part of the agreement was that Daffy and Donald had to be equally good at playing the piano.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prx4-erFlPc

Snowglobe of Doom has a new favorite as of 05:01 on May 8, 2019

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The piano duel is the best part of a movie made entirely of best parts.

That or when Roger explains he can only do things when it's funny.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I think my favourite (non-subtle) 'wow, they went that far' moment in WFRR is when Roger is about to sit in Teddy's chair, Eddie yells at him, and he pulls away, leaving fingerprints on the dust.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I adore WFRR. It was such an amazing movie. This is a really good video that touches on some of the things the film did to stand out

EDIT: gently caress it was posted last page!

Happy Noodle Boy has a new favorite as of 12:22 on May 8, 2019

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

I haven't seen WFRR since I was a kid, and you've all inspired me to rewatch it.

Early (not so) subtle moment - there's a load of toon brooms sweeping up on the film set, with a busker playing a jazz version of The Sorceror's Apprentice. :allears:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

EDIT: gently caress it was posted last page!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Smile, darn ya! Smile!

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

I hate that movie very much, but I gotta say it does have a ton of moments perfect for this thread.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
watch it again and you'll probably like it more

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

freeedr posted:

I hate that movie very much, but I gotta say it does have a ton of moments perfect for this thread.

Can you elaborate on why you hate it? I'm genuinely curious because I have actually never met anyone who didn't have anything less than "it's ok" to say about it. I'm not trying to call you out or anything, I just really want to know.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Can you elaborate on why you hate it? I'm genuinely curious because I have actually never met anyone who didn't have anything less than "it's ok" to say about it. I'm not trying to call you out or anything, I just really want to know.

His partner was killed by a toon

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I never quite got why there would be paint from the toon gloves on the rope. Is there any other point in the movie where toons leave paint behind?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I never quite got why there would be paint from the toon gloves on the rope. Is there any other point in the movie where toons leave paint behind?

I think you've found the first plot hole in the movie, I guess.

It was in a box, near the singing sword.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Cleretic posted:

It's not really a 'subtle movie moment', but one of my favorite facts about Who Framed Roger Rabbit is that to appease both companies, Disney and Looney Tunes characters needed to be on-screen for the exact same amount of time, down to the second. I've always thought that was an impressive feat of planning to pull off.

Reportedly there was a similar back and forth between Nintendo and Capcom for Wreck It Ralph. During the early scene where Ralph is in the meeting for Villains, the dailies kept coming back and there was a pissing match between who was going to be larger, Bowser or Zangief.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
But what about their dicks?

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Apparently another part of the agreement was that Daffy and Donald had to be equally good at playing the piano.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prx4-erFlPc&t=40s

Loved this movie as a kid and then one day I read on the internet that Donald Duck calls Daffy Duck the n word in this scene (about 44 seconds into that video). Apparently he actually says "doggone stubborn little I'M GONNA-[quacking noises]" but it's also kind of fitting that Disney's white duck would be racist against black ducks in the 1940s.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

There's no fuckin' way Bugs Bunny would be hanging out with a square like Mickey Mouse.

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004

Friend posted:

Loved this movie as a kid and then one day I read on the internet that Donald Duck calls Daffy Duck the n word in this scene (about 44 seconds into that video). Apparently he actually says "doggone stubborn little I'M GONNA-[quacking noises]" but it's also kind of fitting that Disney's white duck would be racist against black ducks in the 1940s.

I heard a wav file of Donald Duck getting his dick sucked and his balls played with some time ago. Unsavory character

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

A CRUNK BIRD posted:

I heard a wav file of Donald Duck getting his dick sucked and his balls played with some time ago. Unsavory character

Holy poo poo, I actually forgot that existed. That was like one of the first WAV files being passed around on the internet in the mid-90s.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

But what about their dicks?

Zangief and Bowser had have the same proficiency at laying pipe.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

ruddiger posted:

There's no fuckin' way Bugs Bunny would be hanging out with a square like Mickey Mouse.

Eh, 30s/40s Mickey was a dick. He'd fit in perfectly with Bugs. 70s and on Mickey is just a boring character, though.

Donald Duck is always great, whatever era he's in.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

MichiganCubbie posted:

Eh, 30s/40s Mickey was a dick. He'd fit in perfectly with Bugs. 70s and on Mickey is just a boring character, though.

Donald Duck is always great, whatever era he's in.

Mickey's getting interesting in the latest shorts.

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012
The fact that Judge Doom never blinks in any of his scenes will always be one of my favorite details from WFRR. Christopher Lloyd did such a goddamn good job with that role.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Beachcomber posted:

The red ones with the little brass buttons?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

IBroughttheFunk posted:

The fact that Judge Doom never blinks in any of his scenes will always be one of my favorite details from WFRR. Christopher Lloyd did such a goddamn good job with that role.

Legend has it that Tim Curry also auditioned for the role but Spielberg thought his version of Judge Doom was too frightening.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Legend has it that Tim Curry also auditioned for the role but Spielberg thought his version of Judge Doom was too frightening.

Judge Doom was scary enough when I was a kid

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

IBroughttheFunk posted:

I also love that he's very, VERY scared off the dip when it spills in the bar. I mean, everyone's backing up from it, so the viewer doesn't notice the first (or fifth) time through, but there's some extra terror in Judge Doom there.

That, and the double gloves, of course.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

I like how in almost every shot judge doom's goggles are reflecting some light source, just completely washed out, as he delivers his lines to camera. Reminds me of Oh Brother Where Art Thou where the guy who keeps trying to hang the boys always has fire reflected in his glasses.

When you can't see someone's eyeballs they don't even seem human, according to cinematography.

Greggster
Aug 14, 2010

Krinkle posted:

I like how in almost every shot judge doom's goggles are reflecting some light source, just completely washed out, as he delivers his lines to camera. Reminds me of Oh Brother Where Art Thou where the guy who keeps trying to hang the boys always has fire reflected in his glasses.

When you can't see someone's eyeballs they don't even seem human, according to cinematography.

Is this why sharks are so scary?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Nah, that's mostly the teeth being all VVVVVV and also the insane smoothness that lets them glide through the water.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Greggster posted:

It's also because they're constantly playing cellos but since they don't have thumbs they can only play the same two notes over and over.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Nah, that's mostly the teeth being all VVVVVV and also the insane smoothness that lets them glide through the water.

Also, they literally never sleep. Well, not deeply, like almost everything else does:

https://www.thoughtco.com/do-sharks-sleep-2291555

That seems like some sort of hell that I can't even imagine :stare:

Rupert Buttermilk has a new favorite as of 12:03 on May 10, 2019

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Krinkle posted:

IIRC the Judge's clothes are always blowing a little in the breeze, even when he's inside, also to subtly signal that he's the villain and not entirely human.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Greggster posted:

Quint specifically makes mention of that in his famous Jaws monologue, so yea it's definitely a part of it. Doll's eyes...

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I like the little thing the 2012 remake of Total Recall does with the tattoo/mark, even though it's 100% unsubtle and apparently the director's cut even spelled things out for the viewer. What I also like is that the second 2/3 of it are a collection of modern spy action movie tropes and references (Quaid going to the bank and returning to his apartment both owe more than a little to Bourne Identity), but not so overt as to become self-parody. But if I'm honest the jury's kinda still out on whether that's deliberate or whether they just made a generic spy action movie and stole a bunch of scenes from other movies.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

No, but he was being framed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

Beachcomber posted:

How so?