Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
*sigh*
https://variety.com/2019/film/news/disney-avatar-star-wars-marvel-1203207661/

quote:

Disney Announces New ‘Star Wars’ Films, Moves ‘Avatar’ Sequels
As part of the great release date shake-up, Disney announced there will be a trio of untitled “Star Wars” entries. These will hit theaters after “Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker” brings the Skywalker spinoff saga to a close this December. The first of the new three films will hit the big screen on Dec. 16, 2022. There will be two other follow-ups that will premiere in the Christmas corridor on Dec. 20, 2024 and Dec. 18, 2026. The news means that Disney is poised to dominate the busy holiday movie-going season for the foreseeable future, as it alternates between “Avatar” and “Star Wars” films. Moviegoers will be treated to new Na’vi and Jedi adventures each year between 2021 and 2027.

I sure am tired of all these star wars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

naem
May 29, 2011

is there such thing as “straight to dvd” still because, sure seems like a good strat for disney what with all the care and thought put into this tired franchise

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Straight to 50 movie dvd pack.

Savage For The Winjun
Jun 27, 2008

whats the skywalker spinoff saga

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

naem posted:

is there such thing as “straight to dvd” still because, sure seems like a good strat for disney what with all the care and thought put into this tired franchise

Streaming

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

naem posted:

People usually call it Straight To VOD these days, though it doesn't really carry the exact same stigma...but it's close.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
I love Star Wars and I wish it would die.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Hi I'm George Lucas, my movie features a scene where a white man valiantly kills a whole tribe of primitive brown-skinned people who live in the caves of Afghanistan Tatooine. Later he brags to his wife about how he reveled in killing their women and children, and she's basically okay with that.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

Savage For The Winjun posted:

The sequels were just a "what if" alternate universe spinoff series. The REAL Star Wars has yet to begin.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Michael_Scott_screams_Nooooo.gif
Luke_Skywalker_screams_No.gif
Darth_Vader_Nooooooooooo.gif

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

poisonpill posted:

Darth_Vader_Nooooooooooo.gif

"It's the best of the three"

"It's the darkest of the three"

"It's much better and darker than the other two"

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

QuarkJets posted:

Hi I'm George Lucas, my movie features a scene where a white man valiantly kills a whole tribe of primitive brown-skinned people who live in the caves of Afghanistan Tatooine. Later he brags to his wife about how he reveled in killing their women and children, and she's basically okay with that.

Being angry is human.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
You know Palpatine is the Senate, right? Then how come he abolishes the Senate in episode 4 :thunk:

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

QuarkJets posted:

“She’s a politician, and they’re not to be trusted.”

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Not sure if anyone here remembers that trailer put out on YouTube a couple years ago where they reimagined the Vader Obi wan fight in ANH but they finally released it

https://youtu.be/to2SMng4u1k

Its pretty well done. I think I wouldn't like it this extreme in the film for sure, it's very much too New Star Wars and its obviously a shift from the tone of the original and people like that one for its subtlety but this one definitely captures the anger you might expect of a Vader pre realising that he still has a son etc and has begun his redemption.
Still, would have been nice if the original fight had a bit more to it.

Just Chamber fucked around with this message at 13:54 on May 8, 2019

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Savage For The Winjun posted:

I honestly believe either the person being paid to write about Star Wars professionally or the company making Star Wars movies or, perhaps both, thinks that "the entire loving point of Star Wars since its inception" might just be 'the skywalker spinoff thing'.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

"Disney Announces New ‘Jesus' films,
As part of the great release date shake-up, Disney announced there will be a trio of untitled “New Testament” entries. These will hit theaters after “Jesus Lord: The Rise of Christ” brings the Jesus spinoff saga to a close this December. "Fans love Jesus, of course, but we want to showcase the real depth and breadth of this amazing universe. We'd really like to cover some new grounds. And we feel "Jesus Lord: Acts of the Apostles" will really take us out of the whole 'Christ spinoff' bit that's become so...old, in the New Testament story, and focus on something the people want, like the mysterious Ethiopian Eunuch, or the much anticipated 'Mission of Barnabus and Saul'."

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
Can't wait to see how they will gently caress up Arius' death smdh :colbert:

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

Big Beef City posted:

"Disney Announces New ‘Jesus' films,
As part of the great release date shake-up, Disney announced there will be a trio of untitled “New Testament” entries. These will hit theaters after “Jesus Lord: The Rise of Christ” brings the Jesus spinoff saga to a close this December. "Fans love Jesus, of course, but we want to showcase the real depth and breadth of this amazing universe. We'd really like to cover some new grounds. And we feel "Jesus Lord: Acts of the Apostles" will really take us out of the whole 'Christ spinoff' bit that's become so...old, in the New Testament story, and focus on something the people want, like the mysterious Ethiopian Eunuch, or the much anticipated 'Mission of Barnabus and Saul'."
also called Pulling an Anne Rice

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Is that article writer just being weird on their own by referring to Episodes 7-9 as a "spinoff saga"? I can't imagine Disney is referring to them like that unless TLJ was way more of a disaster than even it's biggest critics believe.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer
every piece of real news posted in this thread is dogshit

the bible: what an amazing universe!

:suicide:

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
Gobblin' them mega schlongs
Makin' sure they mega long
Stroke' 'em if they mega strong
the holy bible cinematic universe

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

jimmyjams posted:

Man Disney already has a problem with killing and resurrecting characters all the time.

Unironically if the story of Jesus were first told today, his resurrection after dying on the cross would be considered incredibly cliche and lame.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Just Chamber posted:

but this one definitely captures the anger you might expect of a Vader pre realising that he still has a son etc and has begun his redemption.
Still, would have been nice if the original fight had a bit more to it.

its because that stuff wasn't written into his character yet. obi-wan was just his old master, like in old samurai films.

speaking of which, those are fights were often just as slow because a sword is loving dangerous and you only have to get hit once by it to gently caress you up, much like the effects of a lightsaber i imagine. i find fights like that to be more realistic, whereas the ones where people get bandied about and thrown all over drat place tend to be boring because it breaks the realism barrier. the stakes and expectations get all hosed up when a 70 year old man is thrown 20 feet into solid metal and is just shaken up for a sec.

accounts from real duelists like miyamoto musashi make duels out to be rather quick affairs: a single miss could end your life

anyway, i enjoy the "fight as a metaphor" approach, particularly in the first film. but its cool to like it other ways too

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
/\ The fights were slow because the lightsabres were 1/10th of what was happening in that fight. 90% of that fight between Obi and Vader was each other using their immense mastery of the force to posturing, protecting, and then seeking out the other's prostate.

jimmyjams posted:

Old Testament was good, despite God (re-writes and outside help saved it). Jesus absolutely ruined the NT though, and it just got bogged down in scripture and disciples instead of focussing on what made the OT good.

Blistex fucked around with this message at 17:36 on May 8, 2019

KillerJunglist
May 22, 2007

Lion of Judah protect you, Jah be praised.
Rise of the Branch Davidians: a standalone film that takes place in the biblical cinematic universe.

naem
May 29, 2011

the first film does a good job suggesting the existence of wild super powers and mystical wizard laser sword guys and lets you mostly use your imagination to fill in the blanks, which is a powerful storytelling technique if done right

“non-stop cgi explosions” like in the transformer movies is on the other end of the spectrum where it’s just visual overkill until you’re bored

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
as bad as the prequels were, at least they had some imagination. the non-lucas star wars movies are more competent as films but 100% focus grouped garbage otherwise.

lucas should have hidden a golden tickets to the star wars factory in toys and given control of the star wars franchise to the biggest star wars fan

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Blistex posted:

Old Testament was good, despite God (re-writes and outside help saved it). Jesus absolutely ruined the NT though, and it just got bogged down in scripture and disciples instead of focussing on what made the OT good.

i found the NT to be a bit preachy

Blistex posted:

/\ The fights were slow because the lightsabres were 1/10th of what was happening in that fight. 90% of that fight between Obi and Vader was each other using their immense mastery of the force to posturing, protecting, and then seeking out the other's prostate.

i figured it was because it was 1977, guiness was old as dirt, and the dude in the vader suit could hardly move or see

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

DONT THREAD ON ME posted:

as bad as the prequels were, at least they had some imagination. the non-lucas star wars movies are more competent as films but 100% focus grouped garbage otherwise.

lucas should have hidden a golden tickets to the star wars factory in toys and given control of the star wars franchise to the biggest star wars fan

The thing is though, TFA was competent focus grouped garbage. I WAS FINE WITH THAT. I thought "ok, so this is what I can expect from these movies. I don't care, I'll watch them whenever I get around to it." Then, TLJ is totally prequel style awful. I still feel tricked.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

RaySmuckles posted:

i figured it was because it was 1977, guiness was old as dirt, and the dude in the vader suit could hardly move or see

Nah, the prostate thing is canon.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

<Jedi padawan Gavin emerges from his underground lair>
<Zippa-Pocket crumbs rolling from his beard and robe>
<he calls out to his Master who lives above him and owns the lair>
"Omo. . . I need you to go to Toshi Station and pick up more Zippa-Pockets and Blue Milk."
<Omo replies>
"I need you to clean up your sacred texts and those crusty rolled up robes in your lair"
<The Padawan is frustrated, not only that he is not a master, but that his sacred vow prevents him from knowing the touch of a woman. . . that and his horrible space-acne>

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Vim Fuego posted:

Nah, the prostate thing is canon.

well, i'm just glad they were able to make each other happy

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

RaySmuckles posted:

well, i'm just glad they were able to make each other happy

ANH: Vader is on the Death Star and realizes that Obi Wan is there.

"I sense something; a presence I have not felt since . . . "

Starting to make sense?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Vader’s swordplay is only done by Prowse in Star Wars itself, which is why it isn’t really a stunt scene or highly choreographed at all. In ESB and ROTJ the dude in the Vader suit for the fights was not Prowse but actually the same guy who choreographed the fights, namely Bob Anderson, whose work as swordmaster you may also have seen in Highlander, Princess Bride, the Disney Three Musketeers, Mask of Zorro and the LOTR movies. He also got his start in films after being brought onto an Errol Flynn movie due to his Olympic fencing expertise.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Chomp8645 posted:

Man Disney already has a problem with killing and resurrecting characters all the time.

Unironically if the story of Jesus were first told today, his resurrection after dying on the cross would be considered incredibly cliche and lame.

Jesus' story as told THEN was incredibly cliche and lame to the people it was done in front of contemporaneously.
And it was done so for the same reason story lines today are repeated over and over in film and other media. People already knew the way it went and recognized it.

Jewish (and other) cult leaders all the gently caress over the holy land did all the same miracles all around the same time frame that Jesus did. Doing some of the things he did was considered 'part of the trade' in order to BE one of these guys. People wouldn't take you seriously until you got a credible 'raised a dude from the dead, told the future, cured the blind' hat-trick.
Virgin births were VERY VERY common religious and cultural tales indicating prestige (also it was a very primary role in Zoroastrianism, a previously prominent religion which some aspects of Christianity draws on) , adding this to Jesus was like saying you were 'born under a lucky star', just...really amplified.

People totally knew what to expect when Jesus swung by because they'd seen it before and wanted to check it out. It certainly wasn't new to them.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Chomp8645 posted:

the resurrection was just setting up for a sequel, but you're right, it is time to reboot jesus

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

the resurrection was just setting up for a sequel, but you're right, it is time to reboot jesus

hell yeah, gimme that rambo sequel story arc

KillerJunglist
May 22, 2007

Lion of Judah protect you, Jah be praised.

The bible is a well known property loved by millions, but it's in desperate need of a reboot to remain relevant in today's market.

Jesus should be less talk, more action. More apostles will help (not too many tho, have to think of toy manufacturing costs) and make one a goofy sidekick that the little kids can relate to... maybe Andrew (his character needs fleshing out).

Sermons and parables are perfect for action sequences, where Jesus espouses wisdom while fighting off bad guys. The crucifixion should have a massive CGI battle leading up to it. After the resurrection there should be a big dance party where all the characters (including bad guys) get down to a modern rendition of a 60s-80s pop song.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
Gobblin' them mega schlongs
Makin' sure they mega long
Stroke' 'em if they mega strong
The Passion of the Christ Prequel Trilogy