Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Verisimilidude posted:

I’d love to see a full on fix to 5e, but then I’m curious if that’s just modern pathfinder.

If Paizo doesn't screw up what they had going in the playtest, PF 2e is going to make the license the only reason to play D&D. Very similar gameplay, flexibility, but way better systems and much better designed in general.

e: I wouldn't call it a full on fix to 5e because it has different design aims (making for consistently good, customizable games), so like if you just want to bathe in the miasma of "D&D like Mike Mearls always remembered it" it won't hit that same itch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Verisimilidude posted:

I’d love to see a full on fix to 5e, but then I’m curious if that’s just modern pathfinder.
Shadow of the Demon Lord has all of the sensibilities of 5e from a grid-combat gameplay perspective, if not theme. This is true to the point that it shares some of the core issues of 5e, namely caster supremacy and hard-to-balance encounters. It definitely is the closest thing I've seen to "5e-done-right", at least regarding the mix of complex grid combat mechanics and character building that 5e seems to emphasize. Most other games which make harder choices about what sort of games they want to be and can thus be more focused, but are harder to pound into square holes.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Arivia posted:

If Paizo doesn't screw up what they had going in the playtest, PF 2e is going to make the license the only reason to play D&D. Very similar gameplay, flexibility, but way better systems and much better designed in general.

Dang, I completely forgot that was coming out soon. My AL DM is so pissed off about various AL and convention shenanigans that we might actually switch over. We played Starfinder once and didn't like it but PF 2e seems way better from what I've read.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I don't get the surprise complaint at all. Why is it relevant that there's a rogue with a crossbow in the bush with these fighters. If we've established that they're hidden in the bushes, being still and silent, and waiting to jump out and surprise the goblins, why wouldn't they get to take advantage of surprise? Does someone have to be trained in stealth and wearing light armor to wait behind a door and stab the first person that opens it? That's pretty surprising You don't have to be a fuckin ninja to be able to surprise someone. You just have to be able to attack someone while they're unprepared for it and without time to get ready. If the fighters are in position to attack that same round and are undetected, then that makes sense.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Kaysette posted:

Dang, I completely forgot that was coming out soon. My AL DM is so pissed off about various AL and convention shenanigans that we might actually switch over. We played Starfinder once and didn't like it but PF 2e seems way better from what I've read.

If you're interested in convention play it's being specifically designed to work for their organized Pathfinder Society program too. Paizo knows PFS and adventure paths are their big selling points, and they're building a game to make those shine. I'm not willing to guarantee it's going to be the best ever though: spellcasters are getting a punch up and the skill scaling is being tweaked for the final product and either of those changes could torpedo the whole thing.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

I wine because of how stupidly granular Pathfinder gets and then I whine about how lazily designed 5e is.

I'd like to see Pathfinder 2 make a good middle ground but I'm not particularly hopeful.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

It’s also very fun and good for the party to take part in an ambush against an enemy that is surprised

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

And at the same time, if the goblin sees you dive into the bush, he's probably not going to be surprised that you're in the bush regardless of what you roll on stealth. Don't miss the opportunity to reason about the actual concrete facts on the ground instead of who had to make what silly dice rolls. If they set up an ambush and there's a reasonable chance it'd work, then they get the ambush.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Malpais Legate posted:

I wine because of how stupidly granular Pathfinder gets and then I whine about how lazily designed 5e is.

I'd like to see Pathfinder 2 make a good middle ground but I'm not particularly hopeful.

Pathfinder 2 is taking an interesting tack on this. It's closer to 4e in that everything is technical language, common formatting, and inherited qualities. It's a much cleaner, easier to digest game - but it requires a lot of up-front reading. It's going to be less granular and easier to play at the table, but it's asking for a lot of buy-in first to understand how to read rules blocks, understand how properties work, and so on.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Is there any reason to carry a short bow over a long bow, ever?

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

change my name posted:

If you’re small-sized

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

change my name posted:

If for some reason you're not proficient in martial weapons and need a bow and not a crossbow.

So no, not really.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

rogues aren't proficient in longbows iirc

change my name
Aug 27, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
So pretty much just flavor/RP reasons, got it.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Shadow of the Demon Lord has all of the sensibilities of 5e from a grid-combat gameplay perspective, if not theme. This is true to the point that it shares some of the core issues of 5e, namely caster supremacy and hard-to-balance encounters. It definitely is the closest thing I've seen to "5e-done-right", at least regarding the mix of complex grid combat mechanics and character building that 5e seems to emphasize. Most other games which make harder choices about what sort of games they want to be and can thus be more focused, but are harder to pound into square holes.

I dunno that I'd say SotDL has caster supremacy, honestly. They get significantly fewer spells than casters in D&D (I think a max level character knows something like a dozen spells at most), and their declarative narrative power is much smaller too with a vast majority of spells being solely combat options. Due to the very small amount of spells known, any kind of out-of-combat utility magic is a significant investment too. And when it comes to combat the martials are more than capable of keeping up, a properly built Fighter (well, the remade version of them anyways) is terrifyingly effective at killing things in that game.

The encounter math though, woof, man, it's bad. The small number range the combat takes place in makes it hard to make an encounter that isn't either a total joke or horrendously murderous.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

So I'm thinking of home brewing a wizard-ish class that deals more in druidic and nature magic. Essentially, they discovered magic, but paper is hard to come by where they live and thus have taken to inscribing the spells on their body as tattoos.

Does something like this exist?

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Yes, it's called playing a druid and telling the other players you write your spells on your body.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Conjuration owns though.

Minor Conjuration is bare minimum fun for RP but often has practical uses.
Benign Transposition is bare minimum a good option to protect yourself but combos really well with Misty Step for shenanigans.
Not breaking concentration on conjurations is huge for a control wizard.

None of it has the raw power of Portent, but that's basically every wizard school.

Minor Conjuration is neat, but a once-per-day 30ft Action teleport is nothing to write home about on a Wizard (even with the swap functionality) precisely because of Misty Step.

RE Focused Conjuration, I'll present to you the list of spells it applies to:
Conjure Elemental
Black Tentacles
Web

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Glagha posted:

I don't get the surprise complaint at all. Why is it relevant that there's a rogue with a crossbow in the bush with these fighters. If we've established that they're hidden in the bushes, being still and silent, and waiting to jump out and surprise the goblins, why wouldn't they get to take advantage of surprise? Does someone have to be trained in stealth and wearing light armor to wait behind a door and stab the first person that opens it? That's pretty surprising You don't have to be a fuckin ninja to be able to surprise someone. You just have to be able to attack someone while they're unprepared for it and without time to get ready. If the fighters are in position to attack that same round and are undetected, then that makes sense.

Pretty much. People are overthinking surprise. The Rogue surprises the Goblins, and both the Wizard and the Fighters follow up on his ambush. The Goblin Shaman is too wily to be surprised, and the Warg recovers its initiative quickly, but the Rogue takes out the Goblin Scouts with his Assassinate ability. The Fighters tangle with the Warg, while the Wizard duels with the Shaman, according to normal initiative order.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

Glagha posted:

Yes, it's called playing a druid and telling the other players you write your spells on your body.

Or playing a wizard and choosing thematically appropriate spells, and telling the other players you write your spells on your body.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Conspiratiorist posted:

Minor Conjuration is neat, but a once-per-day 30ft Action teleport is nothing to write home about on a Wizard (even with the swap functionality) precisely because of Misty Step.

RE Focused Conjuration, I'll present to you the list of spells it applies to:
Conjure Elemental
Black Tentacles
Web
Am I missing something? Doesn't it work on any concentration conjuration spell? That's not a massive list but what about Sleet Storm, Cloudkill, Incendiary Cloud, etc?

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

CeallaSo posted:

Or playing a wizard and choosing thematically appropriate spells, and telling the other players you write your spells on your body.

Or a Bard. Or a Sorcerer.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Am I missing something? Doesn't it work on any concentration conjuration spell? That's not a massive list but what about Sleet Storm, Cloudkill, Incendiary Cloud, etc?

It does, but those are all really bad spells you've got better things to do with your spell slots as a 10+ level Wizard.

Conspiratiorist fucked around with this message at 17:49 on May 8, 2019

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Need help not disappointing my players.

Backstory: a while ago, they learned there was aberrant magic called scouring in the world that, when it kills somebody, also makes everybody else permanently forget about them. They learned this when they killed a scouring priest and returned to the inn to find that there was more equipment there than they expected, including a journal none of them had written. (I'd laid the groundwork before that by, once or twice a session, telling them that something happened and their characters knew why and didn't find it suspicious; this won't work for every group, but thankfully, they trusted me.) It was even more affecting than I'd hoped, and they continue to be emotionally invested in their dead companion. But the campaign can only go so long, and True Resurrection will be available before it ends, and I don't want it to be that simple but I also don't want to be like "sorry, guys, this spell that I definitely mentioned could work actually doesn't."

I'm torn between explicitly putting them on a path to bringing her back or putting things in front of them that are building to something but not making it obvious what that is and thus making her return just as surprising to them as her existence at all had been. Anyone have any suggestions, both for which way to do it and what to do?

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Conspiratiorist posted:

Or a Bard. Or a Sorcerer.

It does, but those are all really bad spells you've got better things to do with your spell slots as a 10+ level Wizard.

Man, what? I love Cloudkill. The combination of damage and obscurement is pretty useful in a lot of situations, especially in cramped spaces where the enemy has no choice but go through the cloud into a less advantageous position. Great for messing with backline archers or mages.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

tzirean posted:

I'm torn between explicitly putting them on a path to bringing her back or putting things in front of them that are building to something but not making it obvious what that is and thus making her return just as surprising to them as her existence at all had been. Anyone have any suggestions, both for which way to do it and what to do?

Well True Resurrection says "if the creature's soul is free and willing"; could you argue that scouring damages the soul in a way that its no longer free or willing? Maybe there's a path to have them learn about their ex-party member before they decide to bring her back. Was she corrupted or turned and her returning would be a bad thing?

Even if they go down the road of bringing her back at all costs, what are they going to do? True Resurrection is 9th level and costs 25K in resources alone, you could build a bunch of adventures around even finding someone capable of casting that, and being able to afford it.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
I mean you could even just have it that their friend's soul is now at rest (perhaps in particular if they have destroyed a particular evil threat relevant to that character) and doesn't want to return to the material plane. If they're experiencing the rewards of a pleasant afterlife and/or have been reunited with family/friends/lovers in the hereafter it's perfectly plausible they might not want to come back.

All of that would something you could lay a trail about so they don't burn 25,000 gold on a 'nah'.

Just because *players* almost invariably want to get their character back in the game doesn't necessarily mean that every deceased person should always be eager or even at all willing to come back to life again.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Infinity Gaia posted:

Man, what? I love Cloudkill. The combination of damage and obscurement is pretty useful in a lot of situations, especially in cramped spaces where the enemy has no choice but go through the cloud into a less advantageous position. Great for messing with backline archers or mages.

It's a 5th level spell.

Just use Wall of Force.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

The Mash posted:

The surprise rules are written so terribly that the only way to make them workable is by re-adding surprise rounds.

Imagine this situation:

Rogue and three Fighters in plate are sitting in a bush on the side of the road. They are completely obscured as long as they stay there. A pack of goblins walk down the road, totally oblivious. They're 30 feet from the heroes but cannot see, hear or smell them as long as our heroes don't move.

The Rogue shoots a goblin with a bow. Possibly the Rogue needs to stealth-check for drawing and aiming without being seen, but let's say this rogue is stealthy and pulls it off. Clearly, the goblin in question is surprised.

So is every other goblin in the group at the time of the Rogue's shot, as no goblins have recognized an enemy.

RAW, everyone rolls initiative and has a turn in the same turn of combat as the Rogue's shot (because the Rogue's shot does not happen in the surprise round, because there is no surprise round). The goblins are surprised and as such have the surprised state in the first turn. The fighters, however, are not surprised, so they can run in and smack a goblin each on the first turn of combat, essentially piggy-backing off the Rogue's stealth and surprise attack, even though they are not stealthy themselves.

Clearly, the reasonable outcome of the above situation is that the Rogue attacks first, and then everyone rolls initiative and a new round starts, which includes a new turn for the Rogue. The Rogue attacking from hidden before any Fighters reveal themselves confers the surprised state on the goblins for their first turn. Because there is no surprise round, this is the same first turn in which the Fighters can charge out and smash the goblins. RAW, the Rogue essentially stuns the entire goblin pack for the first round of combat by attacking from a hidden position.

When I DM, I re-add the missing surprise round so the above situation runs like so:

R0: Assuming Rogue is sufficiently stealthy/hidden, Rogue attacks without initiative. Fighters stay hidden because otherwise they break surprise and start R1 immediately. Goblins are surprised and do not act.
R1: Everyone rolls initiative and acts as normal.

The problem with the surprise rules is the combination of the surprise state being a 1 turn stun and there being no pre-round-1 surprise round, which means that a succesful stealth attack effectively stuns every enemy for a turn.

Not just the goblin attacked is surprised, every goblin is in the above scenario:

Obviously, this crazy advantage for the Rogue's party only works if the party can setup a situation where the fighters are hidden by terrain (because they lack the ability to succesfully hide otherwise). But that's easy enough to do in many dungeons where they just hang back one corner, close enough to still gapclose and attack on one turn to gain the ridiculous advantage RAW confers on a surprise-attacking Rogue.

TL;DR: Surprise rounds are necessary.

As you describe the situation, the fighters are also completely undetected by the goblins and should absolutely get actions on the surprise round. Surprise requires that someone be unaware of a threat, not that somebody beat a passive perception check with a stealth roll. It's quite conceivable that someone could get caught by surprise during a social interaction; that's a bread-and-butter approach for an Assassin if the archetype is to be in any way effective. (Pro tip: you do not hire an assassin to kill a dragon.) RAW is vague about what "notice a threat" means; if the party is conversing with a shopkeeper who suddenly reveals itself to be a doppelganger and attacks, presumably the PCs are surprised because they were not aware of a threat. If a member of the party suddenly reveals itself to be a doppelganger and attacks the shopkeeper, presumably the rest of the party was unaware of the threat even if it isn't directed at them, and should be surprised.

If the fighters are standing in the middle of the road, the rogue hiding in the bushes, and the goblins round a corner and see the fighters, then you have a few options:
1. Initiative triggers immediately for everyone. The goblins are surprised by the rogue, so they are considered surprised despite the fighters standing out in the open. You've established you don't like this.
2. Initiative triggers immediately for everyone. The goblins are surprised by the rogue. The fighters know that the rogue is hiding but unless they know exactly when the rogue is attacking, they are also surprised for the first round of combat. If they do know, either because the rogue isn't hidden from them or because some other means of coordination (like Telepathic Bond) is in place, then return to case 1 but in what I'd say is a more justified instance. The goblins round the corner, and before they can react to the visible threat they get sneak attacked from the bushes, catching them flat-footed for a moment and giving the fighters a brief advantage.

I suppose the third option is to read "doesn't notice a threat" as referring to any threat at all, not to "doesn't notice a specific threat," and saying surprise is impossible for the rogue because the fighters were just standing there in the open. That's not unreasonable, but sucks for the rogue.

BTW, the "ridiculous advantage" surprise gives a rogue is the same advantage that attacking from being hidden gives the rogue (Sneak Attack plus advantage). In many fights, it's trivial for a rogue to get this advantage. That's how the class is built. And see previous thread discussion of the Assassin to see how its additional advantage proves less than overwhelmingly good. If you don't want the PCs surprising your goblins, create encounters where the goblins have a decent shot at surprising your PCs, don't deny characters the chance to actually do what they're supposed to be doing. Three stealthy goblins plus two visible berserkers work just as well on your end to launch surprise as the rogue and the full-plate fighters do.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

tzirean posted:

Need help not disappointing my players.

You could go on the path of them discovering things about their dead friend through evidence left behind. They aren't stupid, and will know that they must have forgotten, but they also know that they can learn things about her again, and each of those little pieces of knowledge can be interesting. I'm imagining them finding an engraved wedding ring or something, that leads them to a widow(er) who also forgot her, but also knows that there's something missing and has been searching, too.

You could have the final, key piece of information be their dead friend's name - which is what the party needs to True Resurrect them, if that's what they want to do. And the friend could then know a key piece of information that can get to the next major story beat. Or have the finding forgotten secrets plotline bring them to some other story beat. Little tricks that beat the scouring curse are ripe for plot moments if you lean into it.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

The fighters are completely hidden while the rogue peeks out and watches for the right time to strike, so only the rogue needs to roll stealth. When the rogue signals it's time to attack, the fighters follow his lead and strike, catching the goblins off guard. All the players get to go while the goblins miss their first move due to surprise. That's how I'd run it.

I think the only time everyone would need to individually roll stealth is if they were all potentially exposed to being spotted, for instance to each sneak up on and backstab a different guard. And maybe the only time the non-stealthy people wouldn't be able to participate in the first "round" (I don't think D&D 5E really does rounds does it?) is if there was no way for the stealthy character to signal to them, like if he sneaks into a room while the others are waiting behind a closed door. So the other players are "surprised" for their first move since they're not ready to go precisely the moment when things kick off. Maybe.

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 19:22 on May 8, 2019

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

The saddest thing about all of this Assassin talk is that even when you get past the fiddling to make the ability works, all it means is the Rogue in question dealt roughly an extra turn's worth of damage.

Assuming they didn't just miss.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2-f2PAma0o

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009
Re: Surprise chat, tattoo caster, and dwarf teamster wizard - It seems like a lot of feedback that's been getting passed out is focused on 'optimal play' so I thought I'd offer a different perspective.

Communicate with your table and find a solution that works for everyone and promotes everyone's fun. It's almost like sometimes the DM should just bend rules or make poo poo up on the fly to promote the players having fun. That's what I've always done as a DM/Storyteller. Someone mentioned the improv cliche 'yes, and' - that's a powerful tool for DMing. If there's not a system for what players want to do, make one up. If a player wants to play a non-optimal character for the oddity of it or because it's a cool concept, they should go for it.

Maybe it's because I've always played in groups where the story is the important thing, not the loot, or the power; but to me, people that only care to play optimal characters as if there's some way to 'win D&D' really don't get the point of role playing games. Wouldn't everyone end up playing the same like 3-4 builds/classes over and over again?

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

If you read carefully, you'll see that only the advice on Assassin is focused on that, and only because of how incredibly sad the archetype is at everything it does.

Telling people not to multiclass or homebrew isn't a powergame thing, it's the opposite: why complicate things?

Conspiratiorist fucked around with this message at 19:43 on May 8, 2019

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
You don't need to be optimal but you can't be worthless.

You can roleplay well with any possibly character build. You cannot be effective with every possible character build.

Piell fucked around with this message at 19:43 on May 8, 2019

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

The Mash posted:

The surprise rules are written so terribly that the only way to make them workable is by re-adding surprise rounds.

Imagine this situation:

Rogue and three Fighters in plate are sitting in a bush on the side of the road. They are completely obscured as long as they stay there. A pack of goblins walk down the road, totally oblivious. They're 30 feet from the heroes but cannot see, hear or smell them as long as our heroes don't move.

The Rogue shoots a goblin with a bow. Possibly the Rogue needs to stealth-check for drawing and aiming without being seen, but let's say this rogue is stealthy and pulls it off. Clearly, the goblin in question is surprised.

So is every other goblin in the group at the time of the Rogue's shot, as no goblins have recognized an enemy.

RAW, everyone rolls initiative and has a turn in the same turn of combat as the Rogue's shot (because the Rogue's shot does not happen in the surprise round, because there is no surprise round). The goblins are surprised and as such have the surprised state in the first turn. The fighters, however, are not surprised, so they can run in and smack a goblin each on the first turn of combat, essentially piggy-backing off the Rogue's stealth and surprise attack, even though they are not stealthy themselves.

Clearly, the reasonable outcome of the above situation is that the Rogue attacks first, and then everyone rolls initiative and a new round starts, which includes a new turn for the Rogue. The Rogue attacking from hidden before any Fighters reveal themselves confers the surprised state on the goblins for their first turn. Because there is no surprise round, this is the same first turn in which the Fighters can charge out and smash the goblins. RAW, the Rogue essentially stuns the entire goblin pack for the first round of combat by attacking from a hidden position.

When I DM, I re-add the missing surprise round so the above situation runs like so:

R0: Assuming Rogue is sufficiently stealthy/hidden, Rogue attacks without initiative. Fighters stay hidden because otherwise they break surprise and start R1 immediately. Goblins are surprised and do not act.
R1: Everyone rolls initiative and acts as normal.

The problem with the surprise rules is the combination of the surprise state being a 1 turn stun and there being no pre-round-1 surprise round, which means that a succesful stealth attack effectively stuns every enemy for a turn.

Not just the goblin attacked is surprised, every goblin is in the above scenario:

Obviously, this crazy advantage for the Rogue's party only works if the party can setup a situation where the fighters are hidden by terrain (because they lack the ability to succesfully hide otherwise). But that's easy enough to do in many dungeons where they just hang back one corner, close enough to still gapclose and attack on one turn to gain the ridiculous advantage RAW confers on a surprise-attacking Rogue.

TL;DR: Surprise rounds are necessary.

Not sure how this still hasn't been corrected. But you are slightly off, and being too kind to the party. The fighters are hidden like the rogue and thus MUST make a stealth check as well. If a goblin succeeds at their passive perception, or active depending on situation, then that goblin is not surprised.

Also it is important to roll the first round normally even if the enemy is surprised because position in initiative is extremely important for determining if they are still surprised when the rogue or fighters go.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Imo it's okay to be too kind in this game when the players are doing nonmagical things.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Ryuujin posted:

Not sure how this still hasn't been corrected. But you are slightly off, and being too kind to the party. The fighters are hidden like the rogue and thus MUST make a stealth check as well. If a goblin succeeds at their passive perception, or active depending on situation, then that goblin is not surprised.

RAW this isn't correct. "Any character or monster that doesn't notice a threat is surprised at the start of the encounter." If the goblins don't notice the Rogue, regardless of whether the Fighters succeed, then they are surprised. Think of it as the Rogue leading and orchestrating the ambush. The goblins might see the fighters coming at them, but they are still shook by the suddenness of the attack.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Marathanes posted:

Re: Surprise chat, tattoo caster, and dwarf teamster wizard - It seems like a lot of feedback that's been getting passed out is focused on 'optimal play' so I thought I'd offer a different perspective.

Knowing and understanding the rules for this rules-heavy game is important.
Refluff things however you want without needlessly reinventing the wheel.
Play a character that won't suck the fun out of a group.

None of those topics pertain to optimal play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Can anyone recommend a good adventure for new players? I played a decent amount of 3.x, but I've never really DMed before, and my players have never play actual D&D at all (although they are familiar with D&D and D&D-like video games). Looking through the op I'm leaning towards starting with Lost Mines of Phandelver and then going into Storm King's Thunder; I think they'd be up for something like Curse of Strahd or Out of the Abyss, but I want to start them off with something a little more traditional, I guess. Princes of the Apocalypse also seems interesting but I'm a little worried about it being allegedly confusing.

Of course I'm going to ask my players what kind of thing they'd like to do, but I just want to make sure I get all my ducks in a row ahead of time.