Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

It shoulda been 150usd with 6 months of gp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
No real price savings and no new capabilities, so it isn't going to stimulate hardware sales. Did they just run out of Blu-ray drives and decide "gently caress it, ship a run without them"

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I still believe it being fh3 and not fh4 was a executive typo that made it all the way to final

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Honestly I think fh3 was included because the Xbox sad also comes with gamepass and you can get fh4 on gamepass.

That doesn't explain the minecraft/sea of thieves being included... Unless they're really trying to boost 'sale' counts of those games.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
Any opinions on Tropico 5? The complete edition is £7.99 on GWG. I’m also tempted to preorder Rage 2 having seen some preview stuff of it, but Borderlands 3 is also coming pretty soon.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
The fact Rage 2 is 1080p/60 on the Playbox Pro X makes me way more interested in it than I should be.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Rage 2 and Borderlands 3 are so close in setting and gameplay design it’s honestly bizarre. They come out on the same day too. Rage 2 looks to have the better graphics, but probably not the better longevity.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

Blind Rasputin posted:

Rage 2 and Borderlands 3 are so close in setting and gameplay design it’s honestly bizarre. They come out on the same day too. Rage 2 looks to have the better graphics, but probably not the better longevity.

Rage 2 comes out next week, and Borderlands 3 comes out in September.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Ineffiable posted:

Honestly I think fh3 was included because the Xbox sad also comes with gamepass and you can get fh4 on gamepass.

That doesn't explain the minecraft/sea of thieves being included... Unless they're really trying to boost 'sale' counts of those games.

If they keep paying for gamepass, yes, otherwise they got fh3 which wasn't good to begin with so it is a sick joke to give it away at all.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Lambert posted:

The fact Rage 2 is 1080p/60 on the Playbox Pro X makes me way more interested in it than I should be.

Rage 2 doesn't do 4k on One X?

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Zerot posted:

Rage 2 comes out next week, and Borderlands 3 comes out in September.

Oh poo poo I don’t know how I missed that up. Well why not both then! Rage 2 gameplay looks like doom carnage + borderlands setting which might be pretty sweet. The only thing that’s been weird is in gameplay videos they use that on-screen effect of like, “a bad tv antenna signal” glitchiness whenever you do something significant. That seems like it could get annoying. Maybe there’s an in-game reason for it.

Borderlands 3 is odd to me because when I was younger I thought borderlands 2 looked amazing with its faux rotoscoped graphics. But now that I’m nearing 40 it just looks weirdly animated and a total waste of the 4K hdr capabilities. The damage numbers on screen are stupidly big too.

keithy george
Jan 8, 2008

Lambert posted:

It’s not 60fps elsewhere? Isn’t it idtech 5?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Beastie posted:

Rage 2 doesn't do 4k on One X?

No. They opted for framerate instead.

So you get 1080p60 on Xbox One X and PS4 Pro. The base systems are both 30fps, not sure on resolution, probably 1080p on regular PS4 and 900p-ish on Xbox One.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Blind Rasputin posted:

Rage 2 and Borderlands 3 are so close in setting and gameplay design it’s honestly bizarre.

I hate the art direction change for Rage 2. I think the first one looked way more memorable and I hate that all the promo stuff for 2 is these stupid looking blue haired generic looking raiders. Game still looks fun but it barely looks like it takes place in the same world.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Rage 1 was a less-fun Borderlands with nice visuals and terrible open-world padding

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

TheScott2K posted:

Rage 1 was a less-fun Borderlands with nice visuals and terrible open-world padding

Which is why I'm hoping that they got it right this time. I liked 1 a lot but it reeked of "They need another game to lock this down."

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

Beastie posted:

Which is why I'm hoping that they got it right this time. I liked 1 a lot but it reeked of "They need another game to lock this down."

I've got bad news then, because this game has almost nothing in common with Rage. I actually believe the only reason it's called Rage 2 is exclusively because of all the poo poo they got for Prey(2017)'s name.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

Ah piss, I haven't paid much attention to it since E3 last year.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

keithy george posted:

It’s not 60fps elsewhere? Isn’t it idtech 5?

It's not id Tech, it's running on the Apex Engine (like Just Cause). The reason is that Rage 2 is a Mad Max open world game that has been reworked into being a Rage game.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Rage 2 still has a lot in common with the first Rage in terms of driving and both on foot and vehicular combat, the mutant enemies, hub areas and whatever else are still there, they just streamlined things, trimmed the fat and added Crysis suit powers.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
not to mention the setting

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Like really people should replay the first RAGE because it was the absolute nadir of what id had been reduced to in that it was yet another generic last gen shooter. Super brown environments, super empty open world that were a bunch of glorified corridors, unskippable lines of dialogue from forgettable characters before you could accept a mission, having to get into menus to craft items, the lack of an ending and the horrifically linear almost light gun-esque main levels with invisible walls everywhere. The only thing it had going for it was the act of fighting enemies and to get to that you had everything else in the game getting in your way.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

New rage is for real built on a rejected mad max 2 prototype that WB didnt want to publish with no movie on the horizon

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

Real hurthling! posted:

New rage is for real built on a rejected mad max 2 prototype that WB didnt want to publish with no movie on the horizon

Real talk that is okay by me. I remember describing the first game as Space Mad Max.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
*me yelling at you from atop a giant copy of DOOM2016*

Do not, my friends, become addicted to good ID games! They will take hold of you and you will resent their absence!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

If you strip Rage 1 down to it's individual elements it's actually a really good game. The linear story mission levels could have been book ended into a good shooter on their own and the driving/car combat was fun. It just didn't come together in a very graceful way and felt like a sloppy open world game.

I was sort of down on it when it was released, but played through it again like 5 years ago and loved it, despite it's glaring flaws.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

The bad part is having to fight each area forward and backwards several times

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah there was a lot of dumb padding and the actual open world parts felt barren and just there for you to drive around in. Luckily iirc you can mostly just streamline it and avoid the side stuff.

Reprogram Plus
Sep 24, 2007

GUI posted:

almost light gun-esque main levels

It even had product placement on Breaking Bad with Jesse playing it like a rail shooter lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCNSF7lsoSY

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Intel&Sebastian posted:

*me yelling at you from atop a giant copy of DOOM2016*

Do not, my friends, become addicted to good ID games! They will take hold of you and you will resent their absence!

Doom Eternal coming this year!

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I noticed Orange Box is Xbox One compatible now and Xbox One X enhanced. Do people still play Team Fortress 2 on Xbox?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

I said come in! posted:

I noticed Orange Box is Xbox One compatible now and Xbox One X enhanced. Do people still play Team Fortress 2 on Xbox?

I wonder why they even bothered. The 360 didn't have enough RAM and so the 360 version stopped being updated because it couldn't handle all the new weapons and hats.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

I wonder why they even bothered. The 360 didn't have enough RAM and so the 360 version stopped being updated because it couldn't handle all the new weapons and hats.

That's why I want to play it, I like the balance of the older version better.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I said come in! posted:

I literally couldn't find a lobby with more than one other person just a few months after it was originally released. There is no way anyone is still playing on Xbox

Still bought it again recently cause poo poo, Portal, HL2. Still great to have around and I can't play any of them on PS4.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

veni veni veni posted:

I literally couldn't find a lobby with more than one other person just a few months after it was originally released. There is no way anyone is still playing on Xbox

Still bought it again recently cause poo poo, Portal, HL2. Still great to have around and I can't play any of them on PS4.

I played Xbox TF2 a lot after the Orange Box came out. There were plenty of lobbies, and I didn't own it for Xbox until almost a year after it was released. I'd be shocked if anyone still played given the F2P nature of the PC game, but there were definitely people playing online.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

I'd love to play old TF2 even on the Xbox. That game was perfection.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

veni veni veni posted:

Wish Orange Box had some X enhancements. No way in hell it will get them but it would be cool if HL2 ran at 60fps.

I could probably just build a mid-grade computer to run the 15 year old video game.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

RBX posted:

I'd love to play old TF2 even on the Xbox. That game was perfection.

Tfc is my fav

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Beastie posted:

Wish Orange Box had some X enhancements. No way in hell it will get them but it would be cool if HL2 ran at 60fps.

I could probably just build a mid-grade computer to run the 15 year old video game.

You can run it on an an Intel iGPU just fine, you don't need a mid-grade computer for HL2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

Lambert posted:

You can run it on an an Intel iGPU just fine, you don't need a mid-grade computer for HL2.

I haven't paid attention to PC parts since 2006. So yeah, I'm a little out of it.

poo poo, I built my gaming PC in high school specifically for HL2 and the original Call of Duty.