Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

A wereskunk conspiracy to infiltrate perfume companies to... I have no loving idea... to get military contracts.

Werewalrus, the alpha male of his pack is secretly a nerdy man with a lisp and a permanent stubble. He works at a fish processing plant, and posts online about marine biology a lot. His old Navy Seal friend is secretly a werejellyfish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fruity20
Jul 28, 2018

Do you believe in magic, Tenno?
I know this thread is dead but I'm having an issue: a common recurring thing with YA media is the whole relationship drama thing . yea know ya breaks up and all that....I have a character who's been dating this other character for 6 months now despite being childhood friends. ...turns out character A is Bi and has been conflicting feelings about himself. He eventually breaks up with character B and tries to better understand his sexuality....this is where problems begin to arise. is this bad? will character B be fine with the fact her boyfriend after many years of keeping secrets from her, leaves her one day to date other people. doesn't help matters that they're teens in this instance.

Fruity20 fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Apr 22, 2019

Fruity20
Jul 28, 2018

sigh...I hate double posting but this needs to be answered so...bump for interest.

flerp
Feb 25, 2014

Fruity20 posted:

I know this thread is dead but I'm having an issue: a common recurring thing with YA media is the whole relationship drama thing . yea know ya breaks up and all that....I have a character who's been dating this other character for 6 months now despite being childhood friends. ...turns out character A is Bi and has been conflicting feelings about himself. He eventually breaks up with character B and tries to better understand his sexuality....this is where problems begin to arise. is this bad? will character B be fine with the fact her boyfriend after many years of keeping secrets from her, leaves her one day to date other people. doesn't help matters that they're teens in this instance.

this isnt bad because this happens in the real world. and those questions of “will character B be fine” is something you have to explore as an author. u know ur characters better than us, so u have to figure if your character will be fine or not, and to what extent

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Fruity20 posted:

"Is this bad" is such a nebulous question that it's hard to answer but generally, no, it's not bad when characters have conflict. Quite a few stories have used characters having conflict.

Whether character B is fine with that or not is up to that character. In fact, it's up to her whether or not she sees it as "keeping secrets" or as just a bit of self-discovery. I mean, if they're both teenagers, I wouldn't expect them to be emotionally mature and sober about their relationships, but who knows, there's mature teens out there. These are the sorts of questions you don't really need to seek outside approval for, because they're basically about what story you want to tell. Do you want to tell a story about self-discovery, or perceived betrayal, or conflicted feelings, or what?

No one can say for you what your characters should do in a given situation. They're not writing the story, you are.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Fruity20 posted:

sigh...I hate double posting but this needs to be answered so...bump for interest.

Write more, clean it up, then submit it for crit when you are ready. You will then be told if your execution is "Bad".

It helps to have a trusted group of people who crit your work.

Don't let the question of "is this bad?" stop you from writing.

Fruity20
Jul 28, 2018

Djeser posted:

"Is this bad" is such a nebulous question that it's hard to answer but generally, no, it's not bad when characters have conflict. Quite a few stories have used characters having conflict.

Whether character B is fine with that or not is up to that character. In fact, it's up to her whether or not she sees it as "keeping secrets" or as just a bit of self-discovery. I mean, if they're both teenagers, I wouldn't expect them to be emotionally mature and sober about their relationships, but who knows, there's mature teens out there. These are the sorts of questions you don't really need to seek outside approval for, because they're basically about what story you want to tell. Do you want to tell a story about self-discovery, or perceived betrayal, or conflicted feelings, or what?

No one can say for you what your characters should do in a given situation. They're not writing the story, you are.

character B is a bit generic-ish? she's a recent character, much has been underdeveloped for her besides some of her interest and involvement in the plot. though, character A was the vampire guy i was talking about and character B has a massive interest in vampires and paranormal stuff...(so she isn't bothered by the fact he is in fact a vampire during the night...in fact she finds it cute)

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

It's great that you have those details. You can use them to inform how you want her to react to the situation, but on a basic level, it's still entirely up to you. "What would my character do in this situation" is a question for you to answer yourself as a writer, and you can answer it however you want in order to create the story that you want to tell.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Post the text and ask if it works, this kind of abstract theory crafting is pointless because the answer is always some combination of 'it depends' and 'You're the writer, you decide'.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
I posted a 3 chapter critique giveaway on Twitter and the guy who won sent me 95 pages he organized into three chapters plus a prologue.

Well played, Twitter guy. Well played.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?

Glass of Milk posted:

I posted a 3 chapter critique giveaway on Twitter and the guy who won sent me 95 pages he organized into three chapters plus a prologue.

Stamp in bold red on every page “chapters too long, please revise”. Maybe across the text?

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

Glass of Milk posted:

heh that'll teach you to put a 10,000 word cap on first three chapters real quick

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

I’m currently using submission grinder to track my one (lol) submission. Anyone use Duotrope? It probably wouldn’t be worth paying for until I have more MS out there but maybe the market research? I know I could start a trial but with one drat MS out it doesn’t make much sense.

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

Doctor Zero posted:

I’m currently using submission grinder to track my one (lol) submission. Anyone use Duotrope? It probably wouldn’t be worth paying for until I have more MS out there but maybe the market research? I know I could start a trial but with one drat MS out it doesn’t make much sense.

I'm using QueryTracker for agents for novels, but it sounds like you're doing short stories and I seem to recall that world being wildly different.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Im sorry that this is nonfiction but this is the closest thread that i could find. I want to write a book about a tv show, shark tank, but im not sure on the legalities of referring to the show, hosts, and hopeful entrepreneurs. Can I just refer to this all since it aired on tv? Would I have to anonymize anyone?

edit:

vvvvv Thank you very much! vvvvvv

The Sean fucked around with this message at 20:25 on May 1, 2019

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"
I'm not a lawyer, but my impression is that it's perfectly legal to write "unauthorized guides" to TV shows (quite a few has been done, I have one for Star Trek: The next generation) as long as it falls under fair use, also providing commentary, search engines, criticism, parody, news reporting, research, or scholarship

for example, in the case Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc. v. RDR Books, RDR books lost the suit, but were not prevented, as Rowling wanted from writing any book about harry potter.

I think since they appeared on the show and I assume you're writing a guide about shark tank you wouldn't need to anonymize the people (unless you mean also changing the name of the show, but I think at that point it'd be pretty clear which show you're talking about anyway since there's not a lot of shows like shark tank).

You should definitely consult with a copyright lawyer if you're at all concerned.

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

IANAL but the only point you might get in trouble with is if you make it look at all like it's official or sanctioned. putting "unofficial" in your title would help a ton.

Fruity20
Jul 28, 2018

so two folks are interested in writing for my web-comic...should I verify first? i'm wary some of these people might be scammers since one was from twitter...and the other has a twitter account with a pepe icon

and like the main reasons i'm worried is well... my story is very left leaning and there's a lot of progressive issues like racism, sexism, and other such things in it. even a few metaphors about certain real life issues like inheritable diseases...

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Fruity20 posted:

so two folks are interested in writing for my web-comic...should I verify first? i'm wary some of these people might be scammers since one was from twitter...and the other has a twitter account with a pepe icon

and like the main reasons i'm worried is well... my story is very left leaning and there's a lot of progressive issues like racism, sexism, and other such things in it. even a few metaphors about certain real life issues like inheritable diseases...

Uh...Pepe tells you everything you need to know I think.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I don't understand. Verify what? Are you asking if you should make sure that some strangers from the internet who want to contribute to your creative work are aligned with your fundamental goals, vision, and perspective? How is that even a question? Why would you let some random people you don't know in any way, shape, or form collaborate with you?

Like, do you care about this comic at all?

Fruity20
Jul 28, 2018

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Uh...Pepe tells you everything you need to know I think.

pepe explains a freaking lot honestly...

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

A collaboration with a random person on the internet sounds like a good thing to do maybe for a short, contained project, assuming that you know what kind of work the person you're dealing with usually makes. Like, you like their work, they like your work, you want to make a short comic together--great!

Recruiting help from people whose personality you're trying to ascertain from their Twitter icon is going to be a risky proposition even for a small standalone project, let alone something as expansive and recurring as a webcomic.

Also anyone with a pepe icon in tyool 2019 either is, or is indistinguishable from, a fascist.

Djeser fucked around with this message at 20:29 on May 7, 2019

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

I’m 95000 words into a novel I’ve been writing for years. A major plot point is the buildup to a war with Iran over possibly fabricated? nuclear weapons. When I started this novel (the GWB admin lol) it seemed like a plausible but pretty unlikely espionage/techno thriller plot.

Now these morons are going to actually start a war and make that plot thread obsolete. Guess I should have made more time to write!

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Nah, that'll be great for sales. Just pepper in a few real-world details and you've got yourself a hit. Congrats!

My first book is also about nuclear war so I gotta step on the gas pedal.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 15:57 on May 8, 2019

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
If you publish it quick enough, when the war finally breaks out your book will be considered prophetic and will just fly off the shelves :v:

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Start With This podcast is still going strong. Their latest episode is on collaboration ('Hey, let's have a baby together.'), and before that there was one on giving and receiving feedback - good ideas for not randomly making GBS threads on other people's work, or focusing your audience on specific points you're interested in.

Fruity20
Jul 28, 2018

Djeser posted:

A collaboration with a random person on the internet sounds like a good thing to do maybe for a short, contained project, assuming that you know what kind of work the person you're dealing with usually makes. Like, you like their work, they like your work, you want to make a short comic together--great!

Recruiting help from people whose personality you're trying to ascertain from their Twitter icon is going to be a risky proposition even for a small standalone project, let alone something as expansive and recurring as a webcomic.

Also anyone with a pepe icon in tyool 2019 either is, or is indistinguishable from, a fascist.

whelp, i made my decision. the writer i choose is gonna write one episode. then after that, i go on hiatus and practice my writing skills until people say..hey this sounds pretty decent...that's if the person is chill with that...

p.s. the pepe icon is the one where a butterfly lands on his nose....idk what to make of it...it's either cute or horrifying.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Fruity20 posted:

I don't have any artistic ability, but if I did, and wanted to make a webcomic, I'd write it myself. Why would you think you'd need outside writers? Why would you want outside writers?

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Fruity20 posted:

whelp, i made my decision. the writer i choose is gonna write one episode. then after that, i go on hiatus and practice my writing skills until people say..hey this sounds pretty decent...that's if the person is chill with that...

p.s. the pepe icon is the one where a butterfly lands on his nose....idk what to make of it...it's either cute or horrifying.

Please keep us updated when this person writes inevitably disturbing things.

edit: vvvvv They said that they were looking for writers for their webcomin vvvvv

The Sean fucked around with this message at 21:22 on May 8, 2019

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

I don’t get it. Is this guy your ghostwriter or something?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I'm also a little baffled. Are you looking for a writer to tell you what to draw for your webcomic

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Also what is to verify, get them to write something and see if you like it, that's what they will presumably be doing. How can it be a scam.

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

Phil Moscowitz posted:

I’m 95000 words into a novel I’ve been writing for years. A major plot point is the buildup to a war with Iran over possibly fabricated? nuclear weapons. When I started this novel (the GWB admin lol) it seemed like a plausible but pretty unlikely espionage/techno thriller plot.

Now these morons are going to actually start a war and make that plot thread obsolete. Guess I should have made more time to write!

Several years ago I wrote an urban fantasy novel, the plot of which relied heavily on a level of social decay - specifically homelessness - which was simply not present where I come from. I felt like I was creating a cartoonish caricature of real homelessness, being exploitative, etc, and ended up excising that entire aspect from the draft and leaving it untouched for quite a while.

Now? Turns out my imagination didn't go far enough, real 2019 is so much worse than anything I came up with, and I can totally go back to that story now and write realistically.

Fruity20
Jul 28, 2018

Phil Moscowitz posted:

I don’t get it. Is this guy your ghostwriter or something?

he could be but i feel like having a ghost writer doesn't seem genuine and makes it come off as i did all the writing. i feel like making it a collaboration might make more sense....god the more i explain the more i cringe...

sebmojo posted:

Also what is to verify, get them to write something and see if you like it, that's what they will presumably be doing. How can it be a scam.

if they're lying that is. On the internet, people can lie about alot of things, and it's better the person is legit honest than pulling poo poo out of their rear end. He's in my discord currently and all he said was he's doing two comic script at the moment...which he may never share for review. Maybe once i get a hold of him I can ask.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Fruity20 posted:

he could be but i feel like having a ghost writer doesn't seem genuine

Uh, neither does collaborating with an alt-right stranger you haven't "validated." And nobody in here has any idea what the hell you're talking about and you don't seem keen on letting us in on it. Do you think the thing you're doing is normal and a thing we can all relate to? Because it is not.

Also capitalize your loving sentences you're in a thread about writing.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I don't know how good you are as an artist, but if you're at least okay, if I were you I'd just look for someone who's already writing a webcomic to collaborate with. Like, an artist can only really do one comic. A script writer can write several series at the same time. There's bound to be someone out there who is writing and drawing one thing and would like to write one more project but they're at their art capacity.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

youe'r not my mom :mad:

Fruity20
Jul 28, 2018

Megazver posted:

I don't know how good you are as an artist, but if you're at least okay, if I were you I'd just look for someone who's already writing a webcomic to collaborate with. Like, an artist can only really do one comic. A script writer can write several series at the same time. There's bound to be someone out there who is writing and drawing one thing and would like to write one more project but they're at their art capacity.

I have a twitter where I save most of my art nowadays. Not every artwork but it's there. There's deviant art and tumblr but those are pretty much dead.

On a deviantart thread someone described my art as "above average" at best. Now this was a few years back so my art has gotten a tad better but only by a inch. But if there's one thing I've always thought about, is the fact that sometimes my writing tends to be less bad than my art but there's other days where my art is better than my writing. It mostly depends on how I feel on a certain day. there's even days where I loving hate myself and anything I do is bad and people will hate me for it...

feedmyleg posted:

Uh, neither does collaborating with an alt-right stranger you haven't "validated." And nobody in here has any idea what the hell you're talking about and you don't seem keen on letting us in on it. Do you think the thing you're doing is normal and a thing we can all relate to? Because it is not.

Also capitalize your loving sentences you're in a thread about writing.

poo poo..Sorry about that. I've been so use to typing on tablets and phones that using the shift key is lost on me. Besides that, yea maybe my gut instincts are right. I'll break the news and say I can't work with them. They may not take it well, but I've seen a lot of things that sound very fishy...A shame but a lot of these things are too good to be true half the time. Someone suggested way back I should get a brainstorming partner but I can't seem to find someone who's at least similar to me in some ways. not too similar but at least can provide compromises in some places. That and well, I'm not very good on conveying ideas that actually feel engaging...half the time I freaking cringe when I share ideas online nowadays....

I think maybe I should just work alone. I feel like just asking anything makes me feel too young desipte me being like...in my freaking 20s.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
It sounds like you want someone to collab with because you don’t trust your own abilities. You should work alone so that you can improve your skills instead of using someone else as a crutch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
This whole thing is very weird.

In my world, I've been making steady progress on a novel I've been working on. Have a proper outline and everything. I've been trying to do at least 1,000 words a day which has come a lot easier than I expected.

I'm hoping to finish the first draft by early June, get it edited, then self-publish by the end of June. Does anyone have any tips for finding an editor? That's something I've never done, nor do I feel like I should as I'm obviously close to my own project, but I don't know the first thing about finding someone to actually do that.