Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

El_Elegante posted:

You are either deeply stupid or willfully misinformed about what drives cost in healthcare.

Option c, I've been to lovely doctors?

I'm sure it's a multifaceted problem but I don't have a lot of sympathy for the people making piles of cash off of it, it's not like I claimed that doctors were the only ones driving the system, just that they willingly maintain the system because the system is making them rich. They have no incentive to change it and many of them will fight to keep it going even as people drop dead around them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

purple death ray posted:

Maybe doctors should have stopped their profession from being transformed into a for-profit nightmare if they are upset that the general public doesn't trust them the way they should? Like it's hard to assume they have my best interest at heart when every aspect of the experience is designed to extract as much money from me as possible, when they're colluding with insurance companies to deny me coverage, and so on and so on. Health care is a huge scam and they're making a fortune off of it, they've got no motivation to actually make things better for the rest of us.

That's more the fault of the insurance companies. That's also the reason that medical coding for billing is so insane and also the reason that you get charged 11 bucks for an aspirin when you stay in the hospital. It's the caregivers trying to get their money out of the insurance companies. About 30% of those charges just get ignored by the insurance company anyway. It sucks royal rear end when you get that bill as an uninsured/under-insured person and now you're the one paying out of pocket for their bullshit system. Oddly enough, you can negotiate those bills way down if you're paying out of pocket, but you typically have to do it before you check out.

But all of that doesn't make up for the fact that the entire system is bullshit and it needs to be nationalized like yesterday.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

I love health care derails.

European goons, tell us about your health care. Do you need to get referrals to get your dicks cut off or can you just make a single appointment?

HerStuddMuffin
Aug 10, 2014

YOSPOS
Appointment? Lmao. I can walk into any doctors office in France and get my dick cut off on the spot if I want to. National health care (la Sécurité Sociale, pour les intimes) covers 70% of it and my complementary mutual insurance takes care of the rest.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

HerStuddMuffin posted:

Appointment? Lmao. I can walk into any doctors office in France and get my dick cut off on the spot if I want to. National health care (la Sécurité Sociale, pour les intimes) covers 70% of it and my complementary mutual insurance takes care of the rest.

what the hell? You're bragging about National helthcare when they'll only cut 70% of your dick off?

HerStuddMuffin
Aug 10, 2014

YOSPOS
So? It’s 70% every time. Go twice for a shallow vagina, three times for a deep one

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

They use a tiny guillotine

Vlonald Prump
Aug 28, 2011

Here in America, you grab them by pussy. In old country, pussy grab you!!
Buglord

purple death ray posted:

Option c, I've been to lovely doctors?

I'm sure it's a multifaceted problem but I don't have a lot of sympathy for the people making piles of cash off of it, it's not like I claimed that doctors were the only ones driving the system, just that they willingly maintain the system because the system is making them rich. They have no incentive to change it and many of them will fight to keep it going even as people drop dead around them

Doctors hate insurance companies almost as much as patients because in a lot of specialties you spend an obnoxious amount of time on the phone trying to convince some non-medically trained bean counter to authorize necessary procedures. Also because electronic medical software has been designed around making billing easier rather than clinical usefulness

Doctors are "willingly maintaining" our messed up insurance system only in the sense that they don't quit medicine or go to cash only practices. Healthcare costs go up by absurd percents per year while physician salaries in most specialties have been fairly stable. All that extra money goes to Big Pharma, insurance, and the hospital conglomerates instead

Doctors are actually pretty poo poo at advocating for their own interest lol, the AMA sucks at lobbying

Source: I'm in medical school

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
The AMA are villains who have consistently opposed meaningful health care reform for nearly 70 years.

ChiralCondensate
Nov 13, 2007

what is that man doing to his colour palette?
Grimey Drawer

DandyLion posted:

what the hell? You're bragging about National helthcare when they'll only cut 70% of your dick off?

Zeno of Elea's cautionary tale of Achilles and his dick

Vlonald Prump
Aug 28, 2011

Here in America, you grab them by pussy. In old country, pussy grab you!!
Buglord
Probably the single biggest thing driving healthcare prices is this absurd game of chicken the hospitals play with insurance companies.

Insurance: Ok, we're cutting reimbursement from 100% down to 80% of costs

Hospital: oh wow, all our prices just went up 25%. How about that.

Insurance: Oh wait nvm, actually we're cutting down to 50% of costs.

Hospital: whoa, all our prices just doubled. Weird.

Repeat ad infinitum until a bandaid costs $50. The amount of money changing hands doesn't change much but God help you if you don't have insurance and have to pay the "official" price of anything

HerStuddMuffin
Aug 10, 2014

YOSPOS
So you’re saying that health care is subsidized by those who can least afford it?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

The Aristocrats!

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Vlonald Prump posted:

Doctors are "willingly maintaining" our messed up insurance system only in the sense that they don't quit medicine or go to cash only practices. Healthcare costs go up by absurd percents per year while physician salaries in most specialties have been fairly stable. All that extra money goes to Big Pharma, insurance, and the hospital conglomerates instead

I'm supposed to feel bad that doctors are only regular-rich and not like Jeff Bezos rich?
I'm playing the world's smallest violin

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

bob dobbs is dead posted:

they got one of those non-striking unions

Private Practice Doctors can join a labor union as individuals, but they are prohibited by law from bargaining collectively over their salary, benefits, or working conditions.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
he didn’t say you’re supposed to feel bad, what’s wrong with you

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

El_Elegante posted:

he didn’t say you’re supposed to feel bad, what’s wrong with you

A lot, honestly.

E: I'm just extra bitter today, sorry. I'll show myself out

purple death ray fucked around with this message at 19:41 on May 8, 2019

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

I figure commie doctors chop off only seventy % of a dick is because people always over and misunderestimate the size of their dingle dangles. That way they never take off too much or too little.

New derail: are you supposed to measure from in front of the balls or behind them. No ballerz welcome yo Wright in as well.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
measure the useable length jeez. cant measure from the back unless you are still young and in shape and can actually use it

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

sneakyfrog posted:

measure the useable length jeez. cant measure from the back unless you are still young and in shape and can actually use it

I measure from the back because I cram my balls in too.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
:corsair:

you youngins and your flexible lower backs

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

purple death ray posted:

I'm supposed to feel bad that doctors are only regular-rich and not like Jeff Bezos rich?
I'm playing the world's smallest violin
Yes, you should feel bad about the fact that doctors who actually do important poo poo like save peoples lives are not as rich as Jeff Bezos. I mean if you want to make money, being a doctor is OK but playing the stock market or even being an insurance company bean counter is more profitable and that kinda sucks in my opinion.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
American doctors are overpaid, gently caress them

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

ElGroucho posted:

Correct, but not as much as hedge fund managers

Beefed Owl
Sep 13, 2007

Come at me scrub-lord I'm ripped!
Wow 40 new posts must be some juicy feshes in the thread...

.... Oh....

Odd
Dec 30, 2006

I think everybody just needs to maybe cool out a little maybe
Doctors are bad because they save human lives, which are pretty much the worst thing ever

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

Odd posted:

Doctors are bad because they save human lives, which are pretty much the worst thing ever

Doctors in the US are generally either essentially gentry who are from a long line of doctors, or immigrants. I will choose the latter every time, as they tend to actually give a poo poo and didn't just get into it because daddy was paying for med school.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

D-Pad posted:

Private Practice Doctors can join a labor union as individuals, but they are prohibited by law from bargaining collectively over their salary, benefits, or working conditions.

If you fork over a couple thousand to like 40 congresscritters you can get anything youd like that not that many people care about

American Congress is a bunch of prostitutes, and they're not even expensive prostitutes. There are actual call girls who charge more than certain congressmen

Odd
Dec 30, 2006

I think everybody just needs to maybe cool out a little maybe

bob dobbs is dead posted:

If you fork over a couple thousand to like 40 congresscritters you can get anything youd like that not that many people care about

American Congress is a bunch of prostitutes, and they're not even expensive prostitutes. There are actual call girls who charge more than certain congressmen

Hey come on, some of them ARE call girls (lookin at you, sanders)

Mill Town
Apr 17, 2006

loquacius posted:

They made Garfield massagers? That part's the biggest shock to me honestly

They made Garfield loving everything. Jim Davis is like the Antiwatterson.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/3/30/18287192/garfield-phones-france-brittany-beaches

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Excalibur? More like "Needle"

Grimey Drawer

ElGroucho posted:

Based on this statement, I'm going to assume that you then disagree with the current system where people are paid based on supply/demand and that you would prefer a different system. What do you think that should be?

Personally, I think that people should be rewarded based on the value their work brings to society when properly supported and performed well, and the relative difficulty of the job. Those at the top living in luxury, but not opulence, and those at the bottom living modestly, but not in poverty. So maybe... 250k/yr at the top. By that measure, I would think doctors, teachers, garbage men, etc. should be at or very near the top of the heap, and CEOs... not so much.

The problem isn't that doctors are being paid too much, it's that there are far too many being paid far too little. Every single person who works an honest 40h a week should have enough money to live modestly without constant worry.

Peanut Butter
Nov 7, 2011

Wee mannie

runupon cracker posted:

Based on this statement, I'm going to assume that you then disagree with the current system where people are paid based on supply/demand and that you would prefer a different system. What do you think that should be?

Personally, I think that people should be rewarded based on the value their work brings to society when properly supported and performed well, and the relative difficulty of the job. Those at the top living in luxury, but not opulence, and those at the bottom living modestly, but not in poverty. So maybe... 250k/yr at the top. By that measure, I would think doctors, teachers, garbage men, etc. should be at or very near the top of the heap, and CEOs... not so much.

The problem isn't that doctors are being paid too much, it's that there are far too many being paid far too little. Every single person who works an honest 40h a week should have enough money to live modestly without constant worry.

Is there enough necessary work that everyone should have to do 40hr weeks? Honestly, most people could work 20hr weeks and the only ones impacted would be shareholders and other parasites.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
Doctors provide an necessary and important function. CEOs and shareholders do not. The fight is top/bottom, and most doctors do not belong to the 1%.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Peanut Butter posted:

Is there enough necessary work that everyone should have to do 40hr weeks? Honestly, most people could work 20hr weeks and the only ones impacted would be shareholders and other parasites.

We’d be down to 15 hour work weeks by now if we’d kept up with inflation and automation.

The idea that people have to “earn their keep” is antiquated. It’s capitalist dogma specifically designed by rich people who don’t work to guilt poor people into feeling lazy because they aren’t rich.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

When I was a kid they told us that because computers could do so much information processing so quickly we would only need to work 3 days a week. That and the lack of hover cars are the biggest lies that have stayed with me.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Solice Kirsk posted:

When I was a kid they told us that because computers could do so much information processing so quickly we would only need to work 3 days a week. That and the lack of hover cars are the biggest lies that have stayed with me.

lol of course instead of giving people easier workloads they'd just automate away jobs entirely and force everyone into lovely service- and retail-sector jobs with bad pay and benefits, until they can automate those away too :capitalism:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I'm a big fan of capitalism because it pays my bills, but if I could get away with just working three days a week I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Excalibur? More like "Needle"

Grimey Drawer

Peanut Butter posted:

Bust Rodd posted:

We’d be down to 15 hour work weeks by now if we’d kept up with inflation and automation.

The idea that people have to “earn their keep” is antiquated. It’s capitalist dogma specifically designed by rich people who don’t work to guilt poor people into feeling lazy because they aren’t rich.

I absolutely, 100% agree with you both, but even if we could get to just 40h being actually viable for everybody it would be a huge step up.

edit: like, I think that Bertrand Russel was absolutely on the mark about this. I'm ok with a society where people only work because they want to.

Tinestram fucked around with this message at 13:46 on May 9, 2019

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

quote:

My career is a failure, I am 33 and still working a minimum wage job. I have started going back to school, but I think the biggest problem I have is that I am a pushover.

I try to avoid conflict, I am not good at winning arguments. I want to talk about things logically and get things done but I feel everyone else just wants to get emotions involved and shout. Case in point,if overtime is needed at work, if I ask for help from a coworker whose shift started at the same time they will reply "I've been here eight hours and I'm loving done!" before walking out leaving me to deal with a mess alone, regardless of the fact that they work in a slower paced, less demanding, and better staffed department. Specifically, one coworker from another department started placing a large stack of 80lb boxes in the wrong spot, my manager saw my coworker doing this and said "you're putting those in the wrong spot" - the employee said nothing and just kept going, the next thing my manager did was look at me and say "you need to fix those" - my loving manager has no spine. I have no spine.

I try to separate my work and home life, but I feel the kind of issues pop up at home. Case in point, my wife does a lot of little things that annoy me, and every once in a while something slips that annoys my wife. My wife simply refuses to recycle, throws aluminum cans and plastic bottles into the trash all the time, so I simply take them out and put them in the trash. The response I get is "what are you doing that is trash?" to which I say "it's in the wrong bin" and an argument starts about how the can is dirty because it went into the trash can which wouldn't be an issue if she had just used the proper bin to begin with. Another common issue is actually taking out the trash, I don't believe my wife has ever taken the trash bag out of the kitchen and placed it in the container in the garage. I have received multiple text messages about the trash being full while I'm at work and come home to screaming about how the trash is overflowing all because of her refusal to just take the drat trash out. I feel like I am being bullied, I feel like if I try to explain things everything just falls apart because she yells louder than me and slams doors and refuses to listen. By far what upsets me the most is that my wife and I see a counselor, the last time I was there I brought up these issues and provided proof, and the only thing my counselor did was look at my wife and say "what are your plans for moving out? You can leave whenever you want to" several times.

I am pretty terrified of what might happen if my wife takes the kids and leaves. I think the right thing to do is to move on and try to find anothe partner, yet I have no desire to do so. 10 years ago I met the woman of my dreams, before that I was met only with rejection. I feel like I don't fit in this world, I don't know what women want, and I don't have much to offer. My social skills are tremendously lacking, I don't know how to make friends, I have zero friends right now. I don't know how to date and even if I did, I don't want to meet someone new, I am worried there is something wrong with me that will lead to the same rejection in the future. Even if I could accept a life alone, the most important thing to me right now are my kids, and I am afraid I would never see them again. My wife has disowned many friends in the past and even family members, people who have done far less than me have been ex-communicated. For that reason, I think the chances of seeing my kids would be extremely low, but even if I did see them I don't know that they would want to see me. When my parents were divorced I resented my Dad, I never liked visiting him, I felt like he was hardly even a part of the family. My minimum wage job and debt and child support would certainly land me in horrible living conditions, I wouldn't want my kids to see me that way.

My biggest piece of advice to you is to :therapy:, the couples counselor is not enough. You sound like you don't really know what to do about all of your issues and getting the chance to talk to someone about them would do a world of good in itself.

quote:

I’ve been having impotence problems for a month or so. The mind is willing but the flesh is weak. I guess that’s what happens when you’re a morbidly obese 41 year old under a ton of stress and on antidepressants. Anyways, it was a real confidence killer. I almost considered killing myself over it for a minute. I was trying to suck it up and move on, but my wife made me go to the doctor. He prescribed Viagra. With a combination of GoodRX and genetics and a local pharmacy I got 10 100mg pills for 19 bucks.

That night, I took a quarter of one of the pills. Holy poo poo. I’ll spare everyone the details, but this was the first time in 10 years I could go three times in one night. Imagine having the refractory period of a 16 year old while still
having the stamina of a 30 year old. Had I known it was that awesome, I wouldn’t have waited.

Anyways, I guess the point is if your dick is broke, you might not need to cut it off. Get the pill. It loving works and I’m stoked about it.

I feel like a placebo might have had a similar effect honestly but maybe that's just my Youth Privilege

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Solice Kirsk posted:

I'm a big fan of capitalism because it pays my bills, but if I could get away with just working three days a week I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Sorry to break this to you but the way to get there isn't more capitalism

The only reason we got even a 40-hour work week was trade-unionism; the people driving our economy are doing it for their own benefit and won't actually produce a situation that's more helpful for anyone else unless forced to