Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Consolidated Ed
Mar 4, 2005
Lineman for Justice
enterprise grade means the vendor's cloud solution is a citrix xenapp farm serving up the same desktop client as the legacy onprem version, but everything is slower. also printer redirection randomly breaks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

President Beep posted:

what’s the opposite of enterprise grade?

web scale

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Fallen Hamprince posted:

They Might Be Clients

Consolidated Ed
Mar 4, 2005
Lineman for Justice
enterprise grade means your account is assigned a technical account manager who cant help with sales issues or support problems or do much of anything except send feedback surveys

Rivethead
Feb 22, 2008

Enterprise grade means that maintenance and support for hardware rated at 5/9s (99.999% per year) is over $100K a year and must be purchased in 3 year increments. It also means that if you have a bad disk on a disk array, you have them come out to replace it because doing it yourself seems like a waste of $100k per year.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Enterprise means getting to learn the difference between “Uptime” and “Availability” and all the beautiful spectrum of graduations between them!

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Rivethead posted:

Enterprise grade means that maintenance and support for hardware rated at 5/9s (99.999% per year) is over $100K a year and must be purchased in 3 year increments. It also means that if you have a bad disk on a disk array, you have them come out to replace it because doing it yourself seems like a waste of $100k per year.
5/9s more like 9/5s

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe
I prefer 6/9s
:wink:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

paying for 5 9s, getting 5 9ths

pram
Jun 10, 2001

FMguru posted:

5/9s more like 9/5s

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

enterprise grade means that users have to be local administrators on their workstation to use the front-end client

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

enterprise grade means catastrophic bugs cannot be fixed because at least one multinational company relies on a feature being broken in a specific way

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
enterprise grade means integrating with it is only possible via a 15 year old DLL that transmits data over a socket as delimiter separated records.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

enterprise lab equipment means transmitting data only via a proprietary serial connection to a windows xp pc, which if you change any part in it will refuse to work

seriously if you can never work with lab equipment its where IT goes to purgatory

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat

Boiled Water posted:

enterprise lab equipment means transmitting data only via a proprietary serial connection to a windows xp pc, which if you change any part in it will refuse to work

seriously if you can never work with lab equipment its where IT goes to purgatory

my post directly above yours was in relation to communicating with a lab lol

but it was a site-to-site connection to a lab transmitting toxicology results

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Boiled Water posted:

lol you had something as new as XP for your proprietary link box :negative:

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Ciaphas posted:

lol you had something as new as XP for your proprietary link box :negative:

as a trained scientist i've worked with everything from early dos version boxes up until windows 10 machines. I entered university in 2011 and ended in 2016.

it really shows how fast computers and computer systems move compared to e.g. spectroscopy. A scientific instrument 20 year old is still practically new. A computer 20 year old is uhh, impressive it's still running in a lab with students and acid and what have you

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
in college for my freshman level chemistry course all our lab equipment only worked with macs running mac os 6 or 8 i forget.

(this was only 12-13 years ago)

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
enterprise grade bean?!

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Boiled Water posted:

as a trained scientist i've worked with everything from early dos version boxes up until windows 10 machines. I entered university in 2011 and ended in 2016.

it really shows how fast computers and computer systems move compared to e.g. spectroscopy. A scientific instrument 20 year old is still practically new. A computer 20 year old is uhh, impressive it's still running in a lab with students and acid and what have you

this is true except of course it is an indictment of computer tech rather than other equipment.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

i spoke with my previous head of studies recently who had the choice of shelling out either 25k on a pci-card for a piece of equipment or 50k for a new version of it

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Boiled Water posted:

i spoke with my previous head of studies recently who had the choice of shelling out either 25k on a pci-card for a piece of equipment or 50k for a new version of it

wat

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

the wonderful world of scientific equipment

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
*points to dilznick*

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

El_Elegante posted:

*points to dilznick*

i mean we weren't talking about electron microscopes but ok

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

enterprise grade means catastrophic bugs cannot be fixed because one of the <20 customers is a multinational company who depends on certain features being broken in specific ways

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

when you don't purchase the support contract for your $100,000 piece of equipment and it breaks 8 years later

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

this is true except of course it is an indictment of computer tech rather than other equipment.

it’s probably more do to with the fact that computer technology is insanely cheap compared to other, more specialized equipment so it can be replaced whenever it becomes a hassle to deal with

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Fallen Hamprince posted:

it’s probably more do to with the fact that computer technology is insanely cheap compared to other, more specialized equipment so it can be replaced whenever it becomes a hassle to deal with
but you can't because then your specialized equipment will just say "computer? what computer?

best example I have of this was an LC-MS where the support contract for IT issues was the instrument manufacturer flying in a dude who took your old pc and replaced it with an identical but working pc. It was great but pretty weird to have them send someone with a hardcase across the atlantic for any issue not solvable with a reboot

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Boiled Water posted:

but you can't because then your specialized equipment will just say "computer? what computer?

I mean, in all honesty that’s lovely equipment design?

Blah blah blah DSYP but seriously: gently caress that.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

graph posted:

when you don't purchase the support contract for your $100,000 piece of equipment and it breaks 8 years later

on the other hand, i could easily see the support contract being expensive enough that even having to replace the $100,000 equipment after eight years means you still come out ahead

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

it means that when I look in the database and see 5 different ways to resolve a performance issue with only minor changes I can't do it because it would break the licensing agreement

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

"please enable flash to view this content "

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
Gobblin' them mega schlongs
Makin' sure they mega long
Stroke' 'em if they mega strong
enterprise grade means searches are always case sensitive. you cannot change this

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

jimmyjams posted:

enterprise grade means searches are always case sensitive. you cannot change this

it means searches are case sensitive if you pass in a search that has mixed caps, case insensitive if all lower case, and only matches against upper case if all caps

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

searches just don't work at all, either returning the full set or the empty set

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

enterprise grade networking means spelling mistakes:

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

Boiled Water posted:

i sell enterprise lims (i swear our product is good, only like a 1/4 of these things apply to it) and holy hell does instrument software make my life a living hell.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Fallen Hamprince posted:

sure, that is part of the reason, but the lack of longer-term vision and support is a really big failing on the part of computer technology. this is also only partially driven by market forces, at least as much it has just been ingrained in a lot of people involved in this industry that bit-rot is a real thing, that starting projects over is to be expected, that the old product must be dropped to be able to sell the new one, and in general that everything is very transient. all very harmful and causing a lot of issues, it is just very visibly on display when it comes to a perfectly good piece of scientific or industrial equipment is for some tiny aspect of its task attempted to rely on a computer, and every aspect of that computer is long gone and very hard to work around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Like, I don’t disagree that the excessively short lifespan of computer hardware is troubling but if your big sexy expensive lab equipment is outputting data it should output data. It shouldn’t matter what it’s outputting to because it’s using a standard?