Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
If anyone finds something cool to do that is not a run of the mill event and takes place 8pm or later any night let me know. I don't know if I'll have any game time left in me for the evenings but I want to try damnit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Just finally watched this and am impressed how great it is. Even if I also would never describe Gen-Con personally with many of these terms. Also... So they acknowledge there were 70,000 last year or is this telling us the cap for this year?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhGALmViqyI

Plus walking while the climactic part of the song plays is great for self-esteem

Fellis posted:

When is the auction submittal deadline actually, I have some stuff to dispose of
I am keeping people updated, no worries; they have not even opened the submission up for this year yet, though I am sure that is coming soon. I made a calendar reminder for myself to check every week!!!!!!?

Ego Trip posted:

Wait, the auction isn't a trashcan that occasionally pays you?
You are thinking of your side hustle selling heroin to Oscar the Grouch.

Deviant posted:

the magic of the auction is going to the charity auction, finding the one item you must have, and shouting down another nerd who dares to challenge you.
Big Wallet Energy

But I wish I could have seen this. Well unless you did it in 2017 when I did not remember what anyone looked like somehow and I did see it

Toshimo posted:

Does anyone have lamp pics?
I am so sad to think that there may not be any. Why did I not take some myself backstage?!

nesbit37 posted:

The auction is so weird and I love it. It was my favorite spot to hang out during Gen Con in the 90s. It always had the coolest stuff and at great prices teenager me could afford. Unfortunately for me, most of the stuff teenage me was into was pretty much junk and lots of cool older minis. These days the auction just frustrates me. Lots of cool stuff still, but you have to spend lots of time sitting there for it to come up or even know its there, and even before I had a booth I just can't afford to spend all the time there any more and it makes me sad and nostalgic. Also, while I don't know of any pictures of it (though I may have it on video) I liked the auction space at MECCA much better than this one at Indy. That could be nostalgia just messing with me though.
I am not entirely sure I went to the Auction in either of my two Gens-Con Milwaukee, but I do feel like I remember the Auction being in a more welcoming room at some point. But that could be purely because the room was empty the first time I went in or something.

I certainly have no love for the Auction space itself; not quite big enough and the inability to really decorate is killer.

You can put proxy bids down on valuable items still, though... Double-though, Frank was always the biggest proponent of proxies so who knows what will happen going forward

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

nesbit37 posted:

If anyone finds something cool to do that is not a run of the mill event and takes place 8pm or later any night let me know. I don't know if I'll have any game time left in me for the evenings but I want to try damnit.

Our Goon round robin game is usually a lil later in the evening!

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

So, are there any panels or the like that you all are pumped about?

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

GEN CON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(the last person in my group just bought their ticket, so I felt the need to yet again shout to the gods of Gen Con)

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Not panels, but a couple of painting things I would love to do but probably won't be able to due to timing. I know the Gen Con Critters group is griping a little bit about only have 1500 seats for the Talks Machina panel. I didn't even know there was a panel room large enough at Gen Con for 1500 people.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe
Who's running the Star Trek Adventures "Survive Wolf 359" event? (he asked, pretty sure he's not even going to be able to make it this year and also super bummed about it)

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
I really enjoyed Anita Sarkeesian's panel/interview last year. And the Infinity presentation is always good for a chuckle or two.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Dr. Quarex posted:

But I wish I could have seen this. Well unless you did it in 2017 when I did not remember what anyone looked like somehow and I did see it

it was 2017 i think? i decided i really wanted the elderwood dice tower and carved dice, and I got them up by request.

:geno::"40 50 60 70 80"

:btroll:: *smug expression, eyeing me from across the room*

me, internally: "gently caress it, it's charity."
me, externally: "gently caress IT. TWO HUNDRED."

that'll learn that fat gently caress to eyeball me.

Deviant fucked around with this message at 22:05 on May 8, 2019

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

I can make all your dreams come true.
I already feel like I'm running out of time at Gen Con just by talking about it and browsing the events list. So much anxiety.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Agrias120 posted:

GEN CON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

nesbit37 posted:

Not panels, but a couple of painting things I would love to do but probably won't be able to due to timing. I know the Gen Con Critters group is griping a little bit about only have 1500 seats for the Talks Machina panel. I didn't even know there was a panel room large enough at Gen Con for 1500 people.
Agreed, I think the biggest room I have been in that was not the Exhibition Hall was for uh Glitter Guild or D20 Burlesque, whichever one I got roped into seeing, and I think someone said it seated 500. Is this being held in another facility nearby? Oh, no, I tried Googin' and it is in "500 Ballroom. O.K., well, that makes sense, those mysterious huge internal rooms that must be used for something but I never go into them. Maybe they are modular so they can just take over nearby rooms too?

Deviant posted:

me, internally: "gently caress it, it's charity."
me, externally: "gently caress IT. TWO HUNDRED."

that'll learn that fat gently caress to eyeball me.
That does sound familiar, and is precisely the right behavior in the Charity Auction. I always knew you were a true champion of the downtrodden

Ilor posted:

I really enjoyed Anita Sarkeesian's panel/interview last year. And the Infinity presentation is always good for a chuckle or two.
I am still not sure how I allowed myself to miss that. Though I still got the enjoyment of hearing right-wing snowflakes complaining about "their" convention being invaded at least

WerrWaaa posted:

I already feel like I'm running out of time at Gen Con just by talking about it and browsing the events list. So much anxiety.
That is not the worst feeling. Well, I am not pro-anxiety, so I am sorry about that part, but it is somewhat appropriate for the whole thing to be overwhelming.

The good news is if you barely signed up for anything you would probably still have a great time.

I think I need to make a cutting-edge galaxy brain meme about the ultimate Gen-Con enjoyment move being to stay asleep in your hotel room until Sunday at 3 P.M. Or am I getting that mixed up with everyone's Gen-Con nightmare?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Haystack posted:

So, are there any panels or the like that you all are pumped about?

Number one on my list, every year; Campaign Podcast Live and System Mastery Live.

And also any secondary panels run by those groups.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Dr. Quarex posted:

I am still not sure how I allowed myself to miss that. Though I still got the enjoyment of hearing right-wing snowflakes complaining about "their" convention being invaded at least

Pretty sure this was posted elsewhere but at least you can watch Anita's panel here:

https://youtu.be/wWXyPSt_oFM

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Number one on my list, every year; Campaign Podcast Live and System Mastery Live.

And also any secondary panels run by those groups.

I'm deeply loving annoyed that Ken and Robin Talk about Stuff conflicts with System Mastery.

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

I can make all your dreams come true.
What events seem to be the best use of your time? This thread has already mentioned the problems with tournament play, and your love for the auction. Do you do a lot of demos in the dealer hall? RPGs? Open game room stuff? Wandering aimlessly? Workshops and seminars? My inclination to learn toward a few RPGs I want to learn, one-off demo games, and wandering between the dealers and auction in my free/sober time.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

For me the most bang/buck event is GM on Demand. 2-4 hour TTRPGs in a bunch of indie systems run by some really cool GMs, often the designers themselves. Cheap, easy to get into. I dig it a lot

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

WerrWaaa posted:

My inclination to learn toward a few RPGs I want to learn, one-off demo games, and wandering between the dealers and auction in my free/sober time.

This is usually what my group does. We focus on getting tickets for things we either want to try (new RPGs, new games) or games that we don't have the opportunity to play a lot the rest of the year (Pathfinder Adventure Card Game). We've had really great success with this over the years--and then any time in between we spend in the dealer hall doing quick demos there. The key is to not overload your time and to make good use of it by doing what works for you. We like small breaks in between timeslots so we can decompress, talk about the games, and not immediately run to another spot right as one game ends.

Have a couple generics on you, and don't be afraid to ask if there is room at a table or room in an upcoming timeslot if you pass by a ticketed game and it looks interesting.

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

WerrWaaa posted:

What events seem to be the best use of your time? This thread has already mentioned the problems with tournament play, and your love for the auction. Do you do a lot of demos in the dealer hall? RPGs? Open game room stuff? Wandering aimlessly? Workshops and seminars? My inclination to learn toward a few RPGs I want to learn, one-off demo games, and wandering between the dealers and auction in my free/sober time.

It's extremely subjective - what do you like about gaming? Find it and do it.

That being said, I'd recommend:

Games on Demand - 2-hour and 4-hour indie RPG's starting every 2 hours all weekend All you have to do is show up with a ticket 10-15 mins before, and you choose the game you want to join via a simple lottery system. fantasy, space, cyberpunk, anime... all sorts of systems/settings here, and no pre-work required.

First Exposure Playtest Hall Very similar setup to Games on Demand, but instead of indie RPG's its board games that are in development. You pick a game and playtest it in a 2-hour session, the hall runs all weekend.

Personal preference here, but I'd NOT recommend doing demos in the vendor hall unless there's a particular game you are interested in and willing to wait for. It's crowded, noisy, and often hard to get seats in demo games.

A common recommendation I see here is to not schedule many events and wander around with generics, but I think that advice is outdated. GenCon is just too crowded and structured for that nowadays IMO. Of course, you still want to avoid scheduling an event in Lucas Oil back-to-back with something in the ICC, and build in time to eat/explore a bit. Of course, YMMV and that might work for others.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

WerrWaaa posted:

This really depends on what you like to do. For me, I usually break it down like this:

#1 Things you will just never be able to do at home. One year, in like 1994, someone recreated the space battle at Endor with to scale minatures their group had built. I don't remember what that scale was, but the fighters were the size of a quarter and the larger capital ships like Star Destroyers were over 6 feet long. You are never going to play something like that outside of Gen Con.

#2 Activities with specific people you will never be able to do with at home. This isn't panels so much for me but games, dinners, etc. with people I don't get to see at home or who are in the industry and I just like. It use to be really weird with this. In the 1990s, at the auction, they would auction off dinners with the guests of honor. This was back when they had celebrity guests, so you could bid on a dinner with Mark Hamil or whoever else was there, and they always were hilariously bad with the timing so these would go up for auction at like 5pm on Saturday and then dinner was at some random restaraunt in Milwaukee at 6pm, so they usually went for some crazy low price not just because of the hassle of getting to the dinner but because everyone was a grognard that wanted to buy their personal brand of cool poo poo and not go eat dinner with gaming or pop culture celebrities.

#3 Trying games that just don't happen at home. This is where you play something like Bunnies & Burrows that your friends are never going to come together for.

#4 just whatever you like to do that is more grand that at home. This is stuff like the exhibitor hall for me. I can buy games at home, but I can't go to the largest gaming bazaar in North America and buy games except at Gen Con.

Personally, I try to book time in the exhibition hall like its an event, and make sure I keep about 4 hours free for it on Thursday or Friday (preferably Thursday). At least I did before I actually had my own booth in the exhibition hall.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Lord Of Texas posted:

A common recommendation I see here is to not schedule many events and wander around with generics, but I think that advice is outdated. GenCon is just too crowded and structured for that nowadays IMO. Of course, you still want to avoid scheduling an event in Lucas Oil back-to-back with something in the ICC, and build in time to eat/explore a bit. Of course, YMMV and that might work for others.

Get some generics, but don't count on this as your main gaming strategy. As said, Gen Con is too big now, and despite having most things sold out, it is highly unlikely you are going to randomly stumble on a ticketed event you want to do. It's all in the catalog, spend a few minutes and research it and then try your best when registration Armageddon comes.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

For me the most bang/buck event is GM on Demand. 2-4 hour TTRPGs in a bunch of indie systems run by some really cool GMs, often the designers themselves. Cheap, easy to get into. I dig it a lot

Can we just hire you to GM stuff all weekend? MoleCon gogogo!

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
I shoot for two planned things a day, a hang around doing demos, pick up games of stuff with goons, and the auction. It all kinda depends on the registrationpocolypse.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

WerrWaaa posted:

Yeah obviously I am all-in on promoting the Auction and being sure to leave time to fully wander the Exhibit Hall at least twice over (once each direction; you will absolutely miss things the first run-through). The best other experience I have had in recent years, a gaming-related experience even!!!, was being convinced to check out the Indie Games Explosion, and sure enough I got to get in a quick and enjoyable round of what I enjoy best: attempting to fully invest myself in enacting a persona I will never think about again as long as I live.

Also I think Nesbit37 pretty well covered the larger categories I think of when deciding what to do at Gen-Con, too; in fact, that is part of why I basically never do any gaming there, because I feel like gaming is one of the least-unique things going on at the convention. Though I am sad to think we never auction off things like "dinner with a guest" anymore; you would think that would be an incredibly obvious thing to slide back in. "Dinner with Caroline!" I wonder who was actually in charge of the Auction in Milwaukee? Seems like the current owner group is basically the same people who have been doing it since I started paying attention.

Lord Of Texas posted:

Listen, Lord of Texas, I know things are different when you are the sovereign ruler of a state, but in Indiana we still believe in generic tickets

(Just wandering with Generics is probably not the best advice in general, though it is definitely still workable if you are there for the ambiance as much as the gaming)

OB_Juan posted:

I shoot for two planned things a day, a hang around doing demos, pick up games of stuff with goons, and the auction. It all kinda depends on the registrationpocolypse.
Two planned things a day sounds totally reasonable to me. Still gives you enough time to pop into the Exhibit Hall should you see fit and probably to check out a section of the Auction you find intriguing! Plus it helps you avoid the whole "realizing you have no time to eat" thing.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Toshimo posted:

Can we just hire you to GM stuff all weekend? MoleCon gogogo!

I'm always down to hang out and run/play stuff, just reach out on the GroupMe and we can set stuff up!

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Dr. Quarex posted:

Though I am sad to think we never auction off things like "dinner with a guest" anymore; you would think that would be an incredibly obvious thing to slide back in. "Dinner with Caroline!" I wonder who was actually in charge of the Auction in Milwaukee? Seems like the current owner group is basically the same people who have been doing it since I started paying attention.

I am pretty sure Tom Wham ran it more or less the entire time TSR owned Gen Con. Once Wizards bought it, who knows.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Haystack posted:

I'm deeply loving annoyed that Ken and Robin Talk about Stuff conflicts with System Mastery.

Those jerks! Well, there's still the quiz thing we're hosting.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

nesbit37 posted:

I am pretty sure Tom Wham ran it more or less the entire time TSR owned Gen Con. Once Wizards bought it, who knows.
You just reminded me of Frank Mentzer saying he forcibly changed the way the Auction was handled because Tom Wham was still explaining how to play every game as it came up and that no longer made sense considering the continual growth of the Auction. I feel like he said that was in the 1980s, though. And clearly Tom Wham was important for a long time considering the reverence his artwork still holds among staff. Hmmmmmmmmm

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero
If you don’t have some generics how can you join the impromptu goon NSDM game?

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

What time do you expect TOVA to end? Some of my friends want to do an escape room at 6, but I want to buy more weird stuff.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Maigius posted:

What time do you expect TOVA to end? Some of my friends want to do an escape room at 6, but I want to buy more weird stuff.
It will almost certainly still be going at 6, as I think 7 is about the earliest it has finished in years. Though certainly the first hour or two is the most fun... Double-though, the best deals often come late in the section when we just need to sell everything left as quickly as possible.

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

Dr. Quarex posted:

Listen, Lord of Texas, I know things are different when you are the sovereign ruler of a state, but in Indiana we still believe in generic tickets

I live in Indianapolis :) Name is a bit of a red herring...

An event that I can highly recommend that generics will almost always work for is Two Rooms and a Boom, they set up in the evenings and games fire every hour right outside of the vendor hall.

It's a social deduction game that works well with very large amounts of people, but doesn't drag on, and there is no player elimination.

It's a good wind-down activity in the evenings after burning your brain out on Advanced Civ or Twilight Imperium or whatever all day.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

So my go to thing at pax east is just to go to the open gaming area and camp out there as much as possible. I wanted to do that at gencon and while I've seen the Lucas oil stadium room before I didn't really try to do pick up games there because it seemed harder what with the door fee and fewer people putting up looking for players signs. Any advice for someone who is often solo looking to do "hey whatcha playing? Cool deal me in" type stuff? Anyone doing meetups?

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Join the groupme and you'll get exactly that.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Glagha posted:

So my go to thing at pax east is just to go to the open gaming area and camp out there as much as possible. I wanted to do that at gencon and while I've seen the Lucas oil stadium room before I didn't really try to do pick up games there because it seemed harder what with the door fee and fewer people putting up looking for players signs. Any advice for someone who is often solo looking to do "hey whatcha playing? Cool deal me in" type stuff? Anyone doing meetups?

By open gaming do you mean the game library? Gen Con has one, it was in Lucas Oil the last two years I believe (I am guessing that is what you are talking about). I've never done it at Gen Con but I know it's really popular. I am pretty sure you can buy tickets for it in advance and if that is what you want to do I highly recommend you buy those tickets.

Because Gen Con is ticketed I think it's generally a poor con for open gaming with randos. Because it's ticketed, most people know exactly what they are doing and when and can plan everything out. If they are going to skip something they are more likely do so because they are tired and need a break and not because they want a pickup game. Pickup games with a group of friends (like the goons in the groupme) is much more likely to succeed. FYI, if you love pickup gaming you have to go to Dice Tower Con. It is by far the best open gaming board game con I have been to.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
Ways to ensure you aren’t bored at gencon:

1. Use groupme
2. Come to shot wednesday to meet people and plan for gaming later
3. Just use groupme
4. Nightly meetups at high velocity/JW ballroom
5. loving use groupme jfc
6. How many times were you dropped as a child that you got bored at gencon
7. Go to the auction and try to bid people up
8. Win a tova toy auction against a child and refuse to feel shame about it
9. Play some boredgames :imunfunny:
10. Lists need ten entries

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

The reason I try to do pickup games is because my friends are poorly organized and don't like board games as much as I do so actually getting together with some like minded folks and playing some goddamn games instead of whatever the hell else people are doing is a nightmare so I have to split off and meet new people if I want to play games I haven't played before. Groupme sounds useful though.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Glagha posted:

The reason I try to do pickup games is because my friends are poorly organized and don't like board games as much as I do so actually getting together with some like minded folks and playing some goddamn games instead of whatever the hell else people are doing is a nightmare so I have to split off and meet new people if I want to play games I haven't played before. Groupme sounds useful though.

Try buying tickets to games you aren't familiar with? I am a big proponent of completely loading your schedule during the registration apocalypse and then deciding day of what to drop and what not to drop. It fixes the above problem that PAX line cons has hurtfully trained you to expect.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Fellis posted:

8. Win a tova toy auction against a child and refuse to feel shame about it then give the toy to the child anyway because that is how we do things here.

Deviant fucked around with this message at 17:56 on May 10, 2019

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Granted, I don't go to the auction much during the day but I haven't seen a child in the auction since Milwaukee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

nesbit37 posted:

Granted, I don't go to the auction much during the day but I haven't seen a child in the auction since Milwaukee.

Indiana has really cracked down on the paperwork for auctioning a child since the incident.