Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harkano
Jun 5, 2005

Venerable Monk posted:

Yeah, the idea is to make an army that consists of:

Watch Captain (jump pack, shield, hammer)
Watch Master (Converted from DI, default loadout)

Veteran Squads:
-6 Veteran: Storm Bolter+Storm Shield
-1 Sergeant: Storm Bolter+Storm Shield
-1 Terminator: Storm Bolter + Powermaul
-1 Blackshield: Storm Bolter + Chainsword (or SB/T.hammer)
-1 Vanguard Veteran: Storm Shield (or 2x chainswords)

And then some Primaris "interblaster" squads with
-5 Intercessor (default loadout, maybe 1 with Aux Grenade Launcher?)
-5 Hellblaster (default loadout)

It's surely not the most competitive list or anything, but it's a start, right? At least this is what I've come up with from my research as a total noob.

Sounds good. It's a nuisance getting individual Terminators and VV for your Veterans, but I'm sure you've got a bitz source or something.

I wish the Blackstar was more viable addition to ferry around your boys, since I've got the model and I love it, but it really struggles from not ignoring the Heavy Penalty.

Edit: curses top of page edit -

Got a Mayday Monday game in against a friends unpainted IG. Can't wait till he gets his painted Dark Angels ready for a really picturesque game and I'll hopefully have finished all my Plaguey boys by then

3 plasma sentinels overcharge...

Demon Prince vs Yarrick, fails to kill Y, Y takes a mortal wound from the suppurating plate, but passes his last wound bonus save to live!

Flail of the century - Armigers manage to hold off Chimeras to save the last objective for a DG win.

Harkano fucked around with this message at 19:17 on May 8, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eSportseXpert
Jun 24, 2005

Stupid fucking white man.
Righto so I guess I'd better make this post before we're too far from the event for it to make any sense. This weekend past I went to my first tournament ever, Vanguard 2019 at B.I.G in Bristol. It's an absolutely incredible shop and the terrain was gorgeous in a way that I'm sure my quick snaps will ruin. 1750pts, playing the chapter approved 2018 missions, not ITC or anything, and 80 players of a pretty wide variety of skill levels it seemed like. Overall I had a great time, made a lot of tremendous and stupid mistakes and learned a huge amount in doing so. Not sure how soon I can do 5 games in two days again, but I'll definitely be back at this one next year. I managed to take some photos, which I'll readily admit are pretty shite in places, but I'm posting them anyway because of course you want to see it.

So on to some details, starting with what I took with me to lose catastrophically with!

Let me introduce you to Starry Seekers Astral Mining and Salvage, the first salvage operation on the Eastern Fringe to 'successfully' dismantle a space hulk:

This is the largest army I've ever fielded and painted, and I finished it the night before after working pretty much constantly since the end of January.

It's by no means a particularly beastly list as far as I can tell, but it has 18+D3 CP and is a tremendous amount of fun to play with, even while being shot off the table. I was of course wearing only the finest 40kbadcast swag the whole time.

On to the event!

Bristol Independent Gaming is essentially a warehouse full of tables, and the terrain was beautiful. I don't know what I was expecting but it was really above and beyond.

The greater part of the tables was in the main room there, with 8 or so over in the side-room you can see on the right, and then about 10 upstairs. The upstairs seemed to be where they were sending the bottom tables in the later games, but it was warmer and a lot more chilled out up there so as far as I was concerned it was the VIP room.

First game was Beachhead against a delightful "Dark Eldar airwing and 7 Talos" list, which wasn't so bad as the first game, and the guy was basically a professional, dropping down counters and markers for absolutely everything that needed counting. I even managed to hold on maybe a bit longer than expected, but was eventually totally wiped out. Admittedly I definitely made mistakes that cost me some consolation VP, but it was fun to see it all in action. Highlight: A neophyte shotgunner killing a jetbike farseer.

You can see my ambushes going off here (and then failing to charge properly):

And his fliers getting all up in my business:

Second game, or as I like to call it "You're not my dads and I'll prove it!" was Maelstrom of War against a big old Tyranid list with 90 gaunts, two harpies, two broodlords, a malanthrope (FW -1 to hit aura guy), and I had no time at all to take pictures because 2hrs 45 is not a lot of time to play in for two armies with over 100 models each. Watching handflamer acolytes go through a blob of gaunts was really just gorgeous, but otherwise (I'll say it was due to rushing) not dropping more of my ambushers in his backfield cost me a point or two and led to a close loss. Highlight: A Leman Russ and a Harpy duking it out in close combat, and the resulting mental image of a tank trying to bash a flying beastie with its turret.

Third game was when I was moved upstairs, suddenly didn't have to shout to be heard, and had a great time playing Four Pillars against a pretty general Eldar list to end the first day. I was kind of worried about this mission going in as it rewards VP to the player who kills more units in a turn, and my army spends units like nobody's business. That said the fella had gone for triple fire prisms, which while powerful, don't necessarily kill infantry at a tremedous rate. Managed to get a close loss, which I'll pin mainly on not deploying enough infantry in place to contest the top-right pillar. Highlight: Patriarch doing exactly what a patriarch should do on a table full of T3.

Deployment, which was that weirdo 'board quarters and central exclusion zone' thing:

He'd described his painting and decals on the fire prisms as "A bit rogue trader.", which is no bad thing, and then he also had a gang of rogue trader metal eldar running as guardians, which it was almost a bit of a shame to mortar off the table:

Final shot here of the ambushes coming in, the centre-left rock pillar near the farseer is hiding my patriarch who has just perfect ambushed his way 4" up, and the handflamer bomb is making a bad day for some skyweavers on the right:

So at the end of the first day I had lost three games, one terribly so, but the last two games were both great times against armies I hadn't played before, and in particular the upstairs match against some classic looking eldar made me pretty excited for the next day.

Fourth game was against some more Eldar, this time with a wraithknight that I wasted a lot of time shooting that I should have spent contesting objectives or taking pictures, but either way a mid level loss. Again though another loss against a guy that was a really great time to play who had never faced a genestealer cult before and quite enjoyed all the silly poo poo I was doing with my strategems and so on. Highlight: Rolling a 6 for concealed explosives followed by another 6 against a ten man guardian squad and doing 6 mortal wounds after a weekend of trying that strategem on people.

Before the final game though, here are some random shots from the armies on display for the painting contest:

This army, positioned next to this army:

is exactly why I've liked 40k for so long.

Eyeballs!

Machines!

Well-executed semi-realistic military schemes!

Fifth and final game was Visions of Victory against Emperor's Children in the classic candy pink and black scheme and it seems I had finally managed to internalise some tactical lessons or something because I pulled out the draw! Felt great because it all game down to the last rolls on the last turn and was a great finish to the weekend. Highlight: Using the last two acolytes near my iconward to intercept killing blows from a Greater Possessed, denying him glory from chaos (no idea what that objective is actually called).

Early game, staunchly ignoring the forgefiend because I remember the internet saying it was bad:

All the mining lasers are going into that drat dreadnought:

Rhino full of possessed coming round the side, my iconward is just out of sight in the lower left there, final turn came down to two acolytes totally brushing off a terminator sorceror in melee to get me a defend objective, and then the iconward avoiding being killed by a character thanks to unquestioning loyalty, stonewalling the other play and grabbing me enough points to draw:

Overall a great time, must learn to play faster but would definitely do some kind of thing like this again given a bit of a break in between. Some variety of Eldar flyer/talos business took the top spot but the best part was there being enough of a variety of players and lists there that it seems everyone got decent matchups throughout.

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

Awesome, thank you both. I've definitely got some reading and listening to do.

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug

Gunder posted:

Is there a particular type of magnet that I should be looking for when attempting to magnetize a model to a transport tray? I take it that I can just use standard super-glue to stick a single magnet under the base of a Primaris sized marine and it'll be alright?

I use one 6mm x 2mm magnet for normal dudes, two magnets for bigger stuff. I just put them on the underside of the base with a decent brand super glue. They stick perfectly to a thin steel sheet (can go upside down and shake around and everything).

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/05/08/space-marine-heroes-series-3/

Ah, now that's a fine looking plaguecaster...
*looks at Dark Imperium model*
Why doesn't mine look like that?!

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

eSportseXpert posted:

Righto so I guess I'd better make this post before we're too far from the event for it to make any sense. This weekend past I went to my first tournament ever, Vanguard 2019 at B.I.G in Bristol. It's an absolutely incredible shop and the terrain was gorgeous in a way that I'm sure my quick snaps will ruin. 1750pts, playing the chapter approved 2018 missions, not ITC or anything, and 80 players of a pretty wide variety of skill levels it seemed like. Overall I had a great time, made a lot of tremendous and stupid mistakes and learned a huge amount in doing so. Not sure how soon I can do 5 games in two days again, but I'll definitely be back at this one next year. I managed to take some photos, which I'll readily admit are pretty shite in places, but I'm posting them anyway because of course you want to see it.

So on to some details, starting with what I took with me to lose catastrophically with!

Let me introduce you to Starry Seekers Astral Mining and Salvage, the first salvage operation on the Eastern Fringe to 'successfully' dismantle a space hulk:

This is the largest army I've ever fielded and painted, and I finished it the night before after working pretty much constantly since the end of January.

It's by no means a particularly beastly list as far as I can tell, but it has 18+D3 CP and is a tremendous amount of fun to play with, even while being shot off the table. I was of course wearing only the finest 40kbadcast swag the whole time.

On to the event!

Bristol Independent Gaming is essentially a warehouse full of tables, and the terrain was beautiful. I don't know what I was expecting but it was really above and beyond.

The greater part of the tables was in the main room there, with 8 or so over in the side-room you can see on the right, and then about 10 upstairs. The upstairs seemed to be where they were sending the bottom tables in the later games, but it was warmer and a lot more chilled out up there so as far as I was concerned it was the VIP room.

First game was Beachhead against a delightful "Dark Eldar airwing and 7 Talos" list, which wasn't so bad as the first game, and the guy was basically a professional, dropping down counters and markers for absolutely everything that needed counting. I even managed to hold on maybe a bit longer than expected, but was eventually totally wiped out. Admittedly I definitely made mistakes that cost me some consolation VP, but it was fun to see it all in action. Highlight: A neophyte shotgunner killing a jetbike farseer.

You can see my ambushes going off here (and then failing to charge properly):

And his fliers getting all up in my business:

Second game, or as I like to call it "You're not my dads and I'll prove it!" was Maelstrom of War against a big old Tyranid list with 90 gaunts, two harpies, two broodlords, a malanthrope (FW -1 to hit aura guy), and I had no time at all to take pictures because 2hrs 45 is not a lot of time to play in for two armies with over 100 models each. Watching handflamer acolytes go through a blob of gaunts was really just gorgeous, but otherwise (I'll say it was due to rushing) not dropping more of my ambushers in his backfield cost me a point or two and led to a close loss. Highlight: A Leman Russ and a Harpy duking it out in close combat, and the resulting mental image of a tank trying to bash a flying beastie with its turret.

Third game was when I was moved upstairs, suddenly didn't have to shout to be heard, and had a great time playing Four Pillars against a pretty general Eldar list to end the first day. I was kind of worried about this mission going in as it rewards VP to the player who kills more units in a turn, and my army spends units like nobody's business. That said the fella had gone for triple fire prisms, which while powerful, don't necessarily kill infantry at a tremedous rate. Managed to get a close loss, which I'll pin mainly on not deploying enough infantry in place to contest the top-right pillar. Highlight: Patriarch doing exactly what a patriarch should do on a table full of T3.

Deployment, which was that weirdo 'board quarters and central exclusion zone' thing:

He'd described his painting and decals on the fire prisms as "A bit rogue trader.", which is no bad thing, and then he also had a gang of rogue trader metal eldar running as guardians, which it was almost a bit of a shame to mortar off the table:

Final shot here of the ambushes coming in, the centre-left rock pillar near the farseer is hiding my patriarch who has just perfect ambushed his way 4" up, and the handflamer bomb is making a bad day for some skyweavers on the right:

So at the end of the first day I had lost three games, one terribly so, but the last two games were both great times against armies I hadn't played before, and in particular the upstairs match against some classic looking eldar made me pretty excited for the next day.

Fourth game was against some more Eldar, this time with a wraithknight that I wasted a lot of time shooting that I should have spent contesting objectives or taking pictures, but either way a mid level loss. Again though another loss against a guy that was a really great time to play who had never faced a genestealer cult before and quite enjoyed all the silly poo poo I was doing with my strategems and so on. Highlight: Rolling a 6 for concealed explosives followed by another 6 against a ten man guardian squad and doing 6 mortal wounds after a weekend of trying that strategem on people.

Before the final game though, here are some random shots from the armies on display for the painting contest:

This army, positioned next to this army:

is exactly why I've liked 40k for so long.

Eyeballs!

Machines!

Well-executed semi-realistic military schemes!

Fifth and final game was Visions of Victory against Emperor's Children in the classic candy pink and black scheme and it seems I had finally managed to internalise some tactical lessons or something because I pulled out the draw! Felt great because it all game down to the last rolls on the last turn and was a great finish to the weekend. Highlight: Using the last two acolytes near my iconward to intercept killing blows from a Greater Possessed, denying him glory from chaos (no idea what that objective is actually called).

Early game, staunchly ignoring the forgefiend because I remember the internet saying it was bad:

All the mining lasers are going into that drat dreadnought:

Rhino full of possessed coming round the side, my iconward is just out of sight in the lower left there, final turn came down to two acolytes totally brushing off a terminator sorceror in melee to get me a defend objective, and then the iconward avoiding being killed by a character thanks to unquestioning loyalty, stonewalling the other play and grabbing me enough points to draw:

Overall a great time, must learn to play faster but would definitely do some kind of thing like this again given a bit of a break in between. Some variety of Eldar flyer/talos business took the top spot but the best part was there being enough of a variety of players and lists there that it seems everyone got decent matchups throughout.

Great write up buddy. BIG is my local shop, glad you liked it! The terrain there is a mix of stuff that Vanguard made themselves as well as the shop terrain - some of which is mine. You can see it in a couple of the photos.

If you do fancy coming back to BIG for a weekend, I'm running the Peaceful Negotiations event there in August. It should be a good time.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Venerable Monk posted:

Yeah, the idea is to make an army that consists of:

Watch Captain (jump pack, shield, hammer)
Watch Master (Converted from DI, default loadout)

Veteran Squads:
-6 Veteran: Storm Bolter+Storm Shield
-1 Sergeant: Storm Bolter+Storm Shield
-1 Terminator: Storm Bolter + Powermaul
-1 Blackshield: Storm Bolter + Chainsword (or SB/T.hammer)
-1 Vanguard Veteran: Storm Shield (or 2x chainswords)

And then some Primaris "interblaster" squads with
-5 Intercessor (default loadout, maybe 1 with Aux Grenade Launcher?)
-5 Hellblaster (default loadout)

It's surely not the most competitive list or anything, but it's a start, right? At least this is what I've come up with from my research as a total noob.

I'm using the DW rules for my Primaris-only force. It's pretty flexible, although the change in beta bolter rules makes the RF bolters not necessarily the mandatory choice anymore.

I've goofed around with the Fortis Kill Teams a bit. I like the agility that the Aggressors give them when they're equipped with assault weapons. Taking squads of 5 Intercessors (always use the free grenade launcher) and 5 Hellblaster is also really effective.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

This is great. If we ever go back to talk campaigns again I should have you join us.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

JBP posted:

I'm watching Goobertown Hobbies on YouTube this is some Bob Ross viewing and I feel very blessed by it.

His video on airbrushing DR Inks was fantastic.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

It's so good that Reddit thought it was a leaked official supplement for several hours. Until they spotted the grenade pistol, anyway.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Ghost Hand posted:

This is great. If we ever go back to talk campaigns again I should have you join us.

Thanks! I've got your episodes about campaigns queued up for my painting time this weekend. I'd be happy to yammer away about spending too much time running a campaign whenever you'd like.

Corrode posted:

It's so good that Reddit thought it was a leaked official supplement for several hours. Until they spotted the grenade pistol, anyway.

That typo haunts me to this day

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Corrode posted:

Yeah but wasn't the grenade pistol part of anamal's army, where it makes complete sense?

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash

eSportseXpert posted:

This looks fuckin' awesome! Great work 4 armed bro

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
I was not prepared for the amount of leg parts on the FW Contemptor.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
Also if you're interested in cool poo poo, we're doing a new Goonhammer series called The Road to NoVA, wherein ten goons chronicle their progress of building an army and preparing for NoVA 2019.

https://www.goonhammer.com/subdomains/forums/introducing-the-road-to-nova/

Participant List
- TheChirurgeon
- ANAmal.net
- Corrode
- SRM
- Soggy
- Bonds0097
- MasterSlowPoke
- NeonMentor
- FromTheShire
- Condit

Also we've started posting the first installments.

Check out mine, where I talk about converting a Red Corsairs "Spiky 17" detachment, and convert up a Huron Blackheart:
https://www.goonhammer.com/subdomains/forums/thechirurgeons-road-to-nova-part-1-planning-a-spiky-17/

And check out ANAmal.net's, where he talks about being really fuckin' bad at Warhammer and going 0-6 at the GT
https://www.goonhammer.com/subdomains/forums/anamal-nets-road-to-nova-part-1-how-do-i-work-this/

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Fake James posted:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/05/08/space-marine-heroes-series-3/

Ah, now that's a fine looking plaguecaster...
*looks at Dark Imperium model*
Why doesn't mine look like that?!

They're going to sell so many of those blind boxes for people trying to get this guy.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

TheChirurgeon posted:

Also if you're interested in cool poo poo, we're doing a new Goonhammer series called The Road to NoVA, wherein ten goons chronicle their progress of building an army and preparing for NoVA 2019.

Participant List
- TheChirurgeon
- ANAmal.net
- Corrode
- SRM
- Soggy
- Bonds0097
- MasterSlowPoke
- NeonMentor
- FromTheShire
- Condit

Check out mine, where I talk about converting a Red Corsairs "Spiky 17" detachment, and convert up a Huron Blackheart:
https://www.goonhammer.com/subdomains/forums/thechirurgeons-road-to-nova-part-1-planning-a-spiky-17/

And check out ANAmal.net's, where he talks about being really fuckin' bad at Warhammer and going 0-6 at the GT
https://www.goonhammer.com/subdomains/forums/anamal-nets-road-to-nova-part-1-how-do-i-work-this/

The schadenfreude, I'm here for it.

GET INTO DA CHOPPA
Nov 22, 2007
D:
If Sergeant Chronus is in a Land Raider, he still has the character keyword, right?
RAW, does that mean Victrix Guard can act as his shield drones?

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

GET INTO DA CHOPPA posted:

If Sergeant Chronus is in a Land Raider, he still has the character keyword, right?
RAW, does that mean Victrix Guard can act as his shield drones?

He only has that keyword after the vehicle is destroyed iirc

Captain No-mates
Apr 3, 2010

I'm looking to magnetise my some models and was hoping to get some tips. I've gathered that people tend to drill into the model to place the magnets so they sit flat, is that correct?

I was also wondering where you guys get your magnets from? I'm UK based if anyone has recommendations.

Harkano
Jun 5, 2005

TheChirurgeon posted:

Participant List
- TheChirurgeon
- ANAmal.net
- Corrode
- SRM
- Soggy
- Bonds0097
- MasterSlowPoke
- NeonMentor
- FromTheShire
- Condit

Sup Converted Huron buddy - https://www.instagram.com/p/Bv8tfMNHWwR/

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

Zuul the Cat posted:

They're going to sell so many of those blind boxes for people trying to get this guy.

I was really excited but gently caress me if I'm ever going to buy one of those stupid things.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Hell yeah that owns

Harkano
Jun 5, 2005

TheChirurgeon posted:

Hell yeah that owns
:hfive:

So I've got this conversion habit going, Huron above, I did a Marneus into Gravis before he was a real thing along with a Tigurius, and did a Lysander for my non existent Fists army.

My buddy is kicking off his Dark Angels and I'd love to convert him up a Azrael - however the GW Az is horrible old metal, so my usual habit of hobby sawing off bits of him to use on a modern Primaris 'chassis' won't be anywhere near as easy. Has anyone got a good formula or examples of one that won't look out of place leading a group of Primaris, but still screams 'Azrael'?

Legendary Ptarmigan
Sep 21, 2007

Need a light?

Harkano posted:

:hfive:

So I've got this conversion habit going, Huron above, I did a Marneus into Gravis before he was a real thing along with a Tigurius, and did a Lysander for my non existent Fists army.

My buddy is kicking off his Dark Angels and I'd love to convert him up a Azrael - however the GW Az is horrible old metal, so my usual habit of hobby sawing off bits of him to use on a modern Primaris 'chassis' won't be anywhere near as easy. Has anyone got a good formula or examples of one that won't look out of place leading a group of Primaris, but still screams 'Azrael'?

I would think about starting with Dark Angels Primaris Lieutenant Zakariah for the legs/torso, which I feel are the most important part of a primaris conversion. Then the arms+weapons/head/banner could come from Sternguard or DA bitz.

For whatever reason that guys is $10 less then all the other MPP characters, clocking in at $25.

Harkano
Jun 5, 2005

Legendary Ptarmigan posted:

I would think about starting with Dark Angels Primaris Lieutenant Zakariah for the legs/torso, which I feel are the most important part of a primaris conversion. Then the arms+weapons/head/banner could come from Sternguard or DA bitz.

For whatever reason that guys is $10 less then all the other MPP characters, clocking in at $25.

He would be a good base, but he's also going to be in the Army starring as himself :( .

Came across this on reddit - https://www.reddit.com/r/Warhammer40k/comments/8n8o6r/azrael_supreme_grand_master_of_the_dark_angels/

A librarian stripped of all the librarian stuff is just a really chunky robed legs and torso, which might be ideal (And I think I have one up in the loft from good old Conquest.).

Looking at the sword from the old school upgrade sprue as well -
https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Dark-Angels-Upgrades

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Harkano posted:

He would be a good base, but he's also going to be in the Army starring as himself :( .

With different arms head and banner the similarities will be practically invisible at tabletop distance.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Harvey Mantaco posted:

I was really excited but gently caress me if I'm ever going to buy one of those stupid things.

I kinda want to get them all, so if i get a double i'll post in here.

ZachAttack
Mar 17, 2009

Malevolent Hatform
Nap Ghost

Harkano posted:

Came across this on reddit - https://www.reddit.com/r/Warhammer40k/comments/8n8o6r/azrael_supreme_grand_master_of_the_dark_angels/

A librarian stripped of all the librarian stuff is just a really chunky robed legs and torso, which might be ideal (And I think I have one up in the loft from good old Conquest.).

Looking at the sword from the old school upgrade sprue as well -
https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Dark-Angels-Upgrades

I just did this a few weeks ago, havent painted it yet, but I think it looks pretty good:

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Where is that winged helmet from? It looks great on that body.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Wow check out this $400 kitbash :aaaaa:

https://www.instagram.com/thomas.boulton.35/p/BxIQHS9HMHi/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=dmipc8w9oyfk

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug

Captain No-mates posted:

I'm looking to magnetise my some models and was hoping to get some tips. I've gathered that people tend to drill into the model to place the magnets so they sit flat, is that correct?

I was also wondering where you guys get your magnets from? I'm UK based if anyone has recommendations.

Yep, I usually drill a hole the same size/depth as the magnet to make them sit flush - you don’t alway need to though, like sometimes there is a natural ‘hole’ in the model, and sometimes you kinda have to build at scaffold of sorts using sprue pierces and plastic cement, before you put in the magnet. I recommend googling for magnetizing the specific model you’re working on, a lot of the time someone has made a video. A drop of superglue and it sits.

Until you get the hang of it, it can actually be a little difficult to make sure the magnets are pointed the right way, so you don’t have one of the guns you want to magnetize positive and the other negative and so on, or different polarity on the model magnets (for example if you have to kastellans, you’ll probably want them all to be interchangeable). Some people use a special stick with +/- for it, but you don’t need it. I usually put in the main model magnet, let it sit with super glue and then do all the weapons I want to be able to switch, which lets me test the magnets polarity beforehand. You’ll probably glue your fingers together a lot in the beginning, since superglue does that and magnets are fiddly.

I’ve bought tons of magnets from element games in the U.K. and they’ve worked fine. I’ve found that I use 3mm x 1.5mm magnets the most, but for bigger stuff (like knight weapons and such) you need bigger magnets otherwise they droop and fall off. I t(ink I used 10mm x 2mm for my knight torso-leg, but it was probably overkill. 6 x 2 are good to put under bases, and for big guns.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
You can also take a marker and do a little "+" on one side of the magnet. As long as you do it on all the magnets on the same side, put + to blank and you'll never gently caress it up.

Gameko
Feb 23, 2006

The friend of all children!

I gotta say, my five year old is really, really into 40k. We’ve been assembling models together and he mixes in my small collection of 40k stuff with my D&D stuff. It’s weird the things he’ll remember. I showed him the ‘we’re the rats’ video weeks ago and he busts out with the song. He also reliably says, “For the Emperah!”

After looking through the GW website he’s decided he wants to get some Blood Angels. Last weekend he emptied all his piggy banks and counted up the pennies so he could go to the FLGS and purchase a starter set.

A monster is born before my very eyes.

ZachAttack
Mar 17, 2009

Malevolent Hatform
Nap Ghost

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

Where is that winged helmet from? It looks great on that body.

It's from the Dark Vengeance DA Captain.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Gameko posted:

I gotta say, my five year old is really, really into 40k. We’ve been assembling models together and he mixes in my small collection of 40k stuff with my D&D stuff. It’s weird the things he’ll remember. I showed him the ‘we’re the rats’ video weeks ago and he busts out with the song. He also reliably says, “For the Emperah!”

After looking through the GW website he’s decided he wants to get some Blood Angels. Last weekend he emptied all his piggy banks and counted up the pennies so he could go to the FLGS and purchase a starter set.

At least he didn't choose Nurgle we all know how that kid turned out.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

Gameko posted:

My 5 year old was into farting on things.
My now 8 year old referring to some poxwalkers I painted: "did you paint lips on them so you can kiss them?"

If I was into football or whatever he'd probably be asking me to take him larping. It is life.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

Harvey Mantaco posted:

My now 8 year old referring to some poxwalkers I painted: "did you paint lips on them so you can kiss them?"

I can’t help but notice you didn’t say anything about answering “no.”

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

I liked my one counts-as-power-sword lightning claw Raven Guard Sergeant so much I used the other claw in the set to kitbash up a second one, this time in the "Just the sword and pistol, no bolt rifle" gear configuration.

I think it's going to come out looking a little doofy, but it's better to try and get a slightly doofy result than not try.

(Hellblaster body for the skirt armor, Intercessor arms and head and backpack, Mark VI shoulders. I wanted to see if doing the shoulder studs from scratch on a smooth pauldron looks better than using the pre-studded pauldrons that are clearly limited by the orientation of the mold. Claw and pistol are from the ForgeWorld Mark III power weapons set.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harkano
Jun 5, 2005

ZachAttack posted:

I just did this a few weeks ago, havent painted it yet, but I think it looks pretty good:

That looks great. Is the sword also from the DV champ? The shoulders look particularly chunky too. I recognise the arm from the hugging his gun Hellblaster at least.