Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

I feel like BF have already hinted that's on the cards? Or maybe that's just my wishful thinking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

They meet in the upcoming Legacy of Time boxset that comes out in July.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I'm a big, big fan of Big Finish's Benny line. The James Goss era Benny is pretty good (though I think he's busy with Torchwood right now so that's why we haven't seen anything for a little bit).

Unfortunately, the earliest stuff that's available for download (Epoch and the next four box sets) are easily the series' worst era. But it's good again now, and well worth checking out. Start with the Dalek boxset.

That, or you could dip into the late Gary Russel / Simon Guerrier eras. (Seasons four through nine). It's funny, it's tense, there are some really interesting reinventions of Doctor Who lore. (The definitive Monoid story, I poo poo you not). The books from that era are really great too, anything Phillip Purser-Hallard or Ben Aaronovitch touches are gold. The three Daniel O'Mahoney plays are insanely good too, and the two Grell stories are really fun -- particularly the one that's a parody of The Chase.

Interested what they're going to do with Warner Doctor now he's an ongoing part of the series.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
the most exciting big finish release of this month is

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

corn in the bible posted:

the most exciting big finish release of this month is

Splendid chaps, all of them :allears:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/NothingLane/status/1125420879788281856

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

https://twitter.com/bigfinish/status/1125458958569885696

dr shaw!

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

By the way, is Jago and Litefoot good? Though I've got like 200 monthly ranges to listen to and a dozen other things so maybe not worth getting another thing in, lol

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

God yes.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Davros1 posted:

God yes.

I think it ends on a cliffhanger though, right? Cause the actor died, which is not anybody's fault obviously but still would be sad

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

They did do a finale, however (Jago & Litefoot Forever) which is supposed to wrap things up.

There's also the stories they did with the Fourth Doctor, the Sixth Doctor, and Strax the Sontaran.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Yeah Jago & Litefoot forever jumps a bit past the cliffhanger ending of the final regular boxset and had Jago explain what happened to Ellie and Quick. This includes the fact that when they returned to London, Litefoot mysteriously vanishes, and the main plot is finding him. Litefoot is in about 5 minutes at the end, using old dialog snippets for him.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

This fact isn't useless, it's adorable!

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Spray bottles were a big futuristic thing in the 60s. Even Star Trek used them unironically as "future space props" in TOS:

It seems silly now that there are hundreds of them in every Walmart for $2, but IIRC they had just debuted as a consumer invention at the '64 World's Fair or something like that.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

By the way, is Jago and Litefoot good? Though I've got like 200 monthly ranges to listen to and a dozen other things so maybe not worth getting another thing in, lol

It's toward the top of the best of the Big Finish spin-offs. Even the traditional, shaky, finding-our-way Big Finish writing is elevated by two actors who just having a time doing a good role for them, with another good actor they can bounce off. One thing that I think they do well with it is making sure that each serial ends with a "cliffhanger" in that Jago and Litefoot sort of say "I think this the beginning of a beautiful friendship" in increasingly emotionally investing ways, but you could still drop in at the beginning of any season and feel like you just met the two of them, and they were working something out. In terms of what I've heard, I think it's probably up there with Eighth Doctor Adventures, Gallifrey and (most of) Unbound in terms of good BF spin-offs.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

China's remaking the AMC show HUMANS, and several Big Finish authors, Roland Moore, Eddie Robson, and Tim Atack, are writing for it.

https://twitter.com/berlinassocs/status/1022086619250270208

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Was Humans good or was it just a low budget Westworld without cowboys?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

BF doing the Twelfth Doctor Chronicles (ala the previous released 9th, 10th, and 11th)

https://twitter.com/Jake_Dudman_/status/1126176662876561408

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
I've been going through the Season 19 set and saw Kinda again. It's still really good. The surrealism really works with the story and it isn't just weird for weirdness's sake. No character is really evil, they just have problems, and the Mara are basically manifestations of those problems. In the end the main villain Hindle gets better and everyone seems okay with him. And there are interesting details like how everything in the base is numbered because they apparently put it together from a kit, and the implication that the Kinda people are actually very advanced and decided it's best to live without time. Other observations:

• Hindle is basically Arnold Rimmer.
  • One of the Kinda children is played by a young Jonny Lee Miller.
  • Todd goes through the whole story wearing black stockings and high heels, which is probably all some people remember about it.
  • The Wherever is pretty much the Black Lodge.
  • I've never understood why people have a problem with the snake. If you can accept that a studio with fake trees is a jungle, you can accept the snake.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
  • You can, in fact, mend people.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

I love Kinda. Davison is a good Doctor and he has good companions, I don't get why people are so down on him

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

After The War posted:

• You can, in fact, mend people.

• Not with their heads ripped off

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I really dig Kinda too, though if it is the correct Mara story that I am thinking of a large part of that might be because of Tegan playing the part of a laughing, seductive demon temptress for some poor idiot :sweatdrop:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

I really dig Kinda too, though if it is the correct Mara story that I am thinking of a large part of that might be because of Tegan playing the part of a laughing, seductive demon temptress for some poor idiot :sweatdrop:

I'm pretty sure that's Snakedance. She's asleep for most of Kinda, iirc

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

In that case, both Mara stories are far better than they have any right to be, as I recall really enjoying both despite the obvious budget limitations.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
They're both fascinating, Snakedance being both a quite unusual sequel and a natural extension of Kinda's themes. They're both very witty, have great world building and have interesting, weird productions.

The only thing The Cradle of The Snake has going for it is that weird subplot with Dan Simmons playing a tv host, and the thirty second sequence where Tegan turn Turlough and Nyssa into sheep.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
The twitter account for the Dr Who Wikia has begun blocking anyone critical of its editorial policies, which now include the minimalization and erasure of LGBT terminology wherever possible. The Wiki still maintains categories like "Earth Vegetables" but regards queer representation as a "21st century concern" beneath its notice.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Well I've always given the Doctor Who Wikia exactly the level of attention it deserves (zero) but it seems I was being too lenient and should have somehow actively been taking away from its page views somehow.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

marktheando posted:

Humans is fantastic (unless the last season goes to poo poo, I haven't gotten around to watching it yet) and is an excellent complement to Westworld in that they're both about robots and sentience but they're exploring completely different questions. Westworld is about "what is sentience?" whereas Humans is more like "how does humanity react to artificial sentience?"

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

DoctorWhat posted:

The twitter account for the Dr Who Wikia has begun blocking anyone critical of its editorial policies, which now include the minimalization and erasure of LGBT terminology wherever possible. The Wiki still maintains categories like "Earth Vegetables" but regards queer representation as a "21st century concern" beneath its notice.

I just checked and the Dr Who Wikia has a page on sex that's like a zillion pages long which includes a section labeled "the Gay Agenda," so, yeah, torch it to the ground, basically. There are separate entries for "buttocks," "sex gas" and "f*ck buddies." The "buttocks" entry redirects to "posterior" and includes a picture of the Abzorbaloff farting.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Like it's kind of a shame, because I think one of the cool things about the internet is that someone has always cataloged all the information on something such that if you want to satisfy your idle curiosity about some minutiae within a show, it's out there, but somehow, eventually, a small crew of people manage to turn the simple process of collecting information together into erasing people's identities and subtly letting us know which characters they want to gently caress.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

marktheando posted:

It's really good. It's pretty different from Westworld in that the robots are meant to be dumb appliances that everyone has to do manual labour for them. The story follows a similar path but from a very different starting point.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

I love Kinda. Davison is a good Doctor and he has good companions, I don't get why people are so down on him

He wasn't flashy, and when the show has problems juggling a large cast, it's pretty glaringly obvious. We've seen the same thing happen last series where some characters got lost in the shuffle in some episodes.

He's got some fantastic moments and lines ("Well, that's democracy for you") but since he's sandwiched between the overwhelming personalities that are the Bakers he kind of gets shuffled into the background.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

DoctorWhat posted:

You'd've thought that if they were documenting a series, which in its modern incarnation has very prominant LGBT themes and characters, they'd reflect that a bit more. Obviously not I guess. :shrug:

I've used it a few times to dig up some info on actors or refresh the memory on "what's the episode where x happened?", but looking a bit deeper, without even touching on the LGBT stuff, which is pretty gross if they're minimalising it, it suffers from the usual problems of "We've got to document everything no matter how insignificant".

Just like Wookieepedia, there's an article for "Toilet" - because the uses of space-shitters is vital to the series. Dr Who wikia doesn't have an article for "Breast", unlike Wookieepedia, but "Breast Impant", "Posterior", and "Penis". At the time of writing, there is also an entire page dedicated to the fake phone numbers characters are seen typing in various episodes. loving why.

The articles are just badly layed out as well; as Dr Who really only has the loosest of continuity (and loving time travel), rather than just break stuff down by different media, character pages are just massive slogs of contradictory poo poo because the editors are doing their damndest to make it all squash together in some kind of cohesive narrative.

He tends to get seen as the bland one. Which I've always felt was an unfair assessment. After how weird and alien Tom Baker was, a more grounded, more human Doctor was the best way to go. Him playing TARDIS Dad essentially. I do think though he's served better in the audios, for the most part, because they allow him to be more arsey - restrained but exasperated arsey Fifth Doctor is my favourite Fifth Doctor :colbert:

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 23:18 on May 9, 2019

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

DoctorWhat posted:

Wait, what? Please elaborate, although I'm not surprised because all Wikias are poo poo.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Kinda is just too disjointed for me to really appreciate though there are elements of it I really like.

Snakrdance is fantastic.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
Seems Gareth Roberts is officially writing Doctor Who media again, contributing to this Target-style short story collection.

So that's now both the audios and the books employing known vocal transphobes. Just need Gammon Linehan to write an episode for the next series to hit the trifecta.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Fortunately I think Graham Linehan would burst into flames the moment he wrote the first word of a script with a female Doctor, so we're safe from that one, at least.

Still, it is pretty lovely to see. I've overall been really disappointed in the UK for continuing to give this oxygen, and all I can do is hope that at some point things turn around.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Cleretic posted:

Fortunately I think Graham Linehan would burst into flames the moment he wrote the first word of a script with a female Doctor, so we're safe from that one, at least.

Think of all the terrible, misogynistic jokes he could recycle from The IT Crowd, though! "Haha, the Doctor can't run down corridors anymore because her feet are mangled and bleeding because she's more concerned with her fashionable shoes!" "The TARDIS is landing in random places out of the Doctor's control because women don't know how to computer!"

Actually, when I put it like that, maybe Big Finish would want him for an Unbound: Exile sequel instead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Box of Bunnies posted:

"The TARDIS is landing in random places out of the Doctor's control because women don't know how to computer!"

Now I want someone to say this on the show so Whittaker can reply with "Total nonsense! I've never known how to fly this thing!" :)