Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

oldskool posted:

you can & it rules

Stokes posted:

There's a perk(s) and achievements specifically for that playstyle.

Excellent. :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
I got uncontrollably tooled on by a peasant with an iron skillet

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

there are two things to watch out for in duel servers:

1) hooded knights, these are 90% of the time easy kills, you can only tell them apart by color because otherwise they all look the loving same and they're all using zweihanders

2) naked guys with farm tools. run.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
My new favorite thing is to peasant in with all firebombs like the green goblin then pick up a dead guys weapon and go to town

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

Hooded knights only know how to do huge sweeping attacks and usually bumrush into an already existing melee and score kills that way. Parry and then morph an attack and they're done.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Also you can play horde mode , and you will be swarmed by up to 64 not sure of the actual number, but A poo poo TON OF AI peasants that will literally fling poo poo at you. I got killed by a turd once, complete with "BOT turd TorakFade" message. I was the last man standing and everybody was counting on me. It was shameful.

It would seem like Mordhau is currently Steam's 8th most played game according to steamcharts.com, with 50,000 players right now and a peak of 60,000 (more than double what Chivalry ever had as peak, which was 25,000 or so) and 6 million hours played already. For a game that released 9 days ago, that's pretty fantastic and I am super happy I backed this on kickstarter, back when it wasn't even certain they'd make the funding goal.

Also mod tools are on the horizon due to being a stretch goal from kickstarter, and with that you can bet people will have a field day and make the game even more fun than it already is. Popularity will probably die down a little as people get bored and move on to other things, but with those numbers I'm fairly sure this game will be around for a loooong while yet (plus popularity will rise with sales or free weekends or whatever) and besides normal patches, mod tools, updates it will also probably spawn some kind of DLC / sequel.

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 21:19 on May 8, 2019

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010
I hated what Chivalry became but goddamn does this game scratch that itch good. Been playing as a swole maul-man, splatting heads left in deathmatch until the entire enemy team rushes my rear end. Smashing a guy and seeing his pals hesitate to be the next to recieve a paddlinŽ is always satisfying.

Note: cc2 after every kill will have enemies frothing at the mouth to rush you, making them fairly easy to predict. Psychological warfare works!

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Post Sword Barbies itt, get that welfare gold fellahs

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEmd60XKWV4

duel servers can be.... fun....

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010

Not to be a sweaty fundenier or anything but shields are super unfun to play against. Especially if combined with a weapon like a rapier or short spear because you know exactly what is coming, faking them out is mostly a wash and trying to get behind them ends with you getting stabbed.

Its effective for sure, but plain frustrating to play against.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

As long as I have a weapon with good reach I don't mind them too much. With rapiers and shortspears, do what I did in the video and feed them a lot of easy stab chambers. The parry you do after the chamber is cheaper than their chamber stamina-wise. Wear their stamina down, slap the shield away and make sure they don't get it back.

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:

Glenn Quebec posted:

Me too, he was blonde and his name was Gordon Ramsay. I lost my poo poo once I saw the name.

TracerBullet
Apr 26, 2003

Analyzing humor is like dissecting a frog. Few people are interested and the frog dies of it.

Doctor Rope
On opening up the game again I was given another prompt to accept another 10,000 gold, after already taking the 10k once today. I refused it because I didn't want to be a dirty double-dipper. HOPE YOU ALL ARE AS ETHICAL AS I AM.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Also with a shield up it is not easy to see the lower body of your opponent, so you're pretty vulnerable to kicks

I just remembered that Kickstarter backers should have gotten a unique cosmetic item, the golden teeth. Where do I get mine, I need it :mad:

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
The spear finally clicked with me once i choked up on it. Untold hours of chivalry man poking muscle memory is coming back to bear.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Played my very first match as a ginger monk in short shorts, punched 4 dudes to death and got murdered about 22 times. Obviously we won by a landslide.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Fired this up last night, before I knew it, it was 1:30 in the morning. Game good.

Right now I've mostly just been using the Footman preset and poking people from behind my teammates, now that I have 10k welfare gold I'll be able to play around with custom classes some more.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Glenn Quebec posted:

I got 27 assists by exclusively throwing frying pans at peoples' heads in a TDM yesterday :laugh:

McSpanky fucked around with this message at 22:10 on May 8, 2019

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

there should be a perk to carry double the firebombs

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Nah they've intelligently made the decision that perks (except peasant which is the exception) don't effect loadout or efficacy of weapons.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Fists are weapons. Brawler exists. :colbert:

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

TracerBullet posted:

On opening up the game again I was given another prompt to accept another 10,000 gold, after already taking the 10k once today. I refused it because I didn't want to be a dirty double-dipper. HOPE YOU ALL ARE AS ETHICAL AS I AM.
I expect I'm going to hate myself later for being as ethical as you were. But the increasing gap between levels means I will probably earn another 10k by the time I go from level 26 to 30 anyways.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Is the war axe the only melee weapon that has no alt mode? Hell, even the maul can be thrown! (which is the most humiliating throw kill for my money, it only goes about 30 feet even with a sky-high arc) Seems like it should get the same grip mod as the evening star.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Nevermind the fisticuffs I just found my true calling

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

McSpanky posted:

Is the war axe the only melee weapon that has no alt mode? Hell, even the maul can be thrown! (which is the most humiliating throw kill for my money, it only goes about 30 feet even with a sky-high arc) Seems like it should get the same grip mod as the evening star.

The war axe doesn't have an alt grip mode because it's perfect as it is.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

The war axe does have an alt mode but it's located on the END key.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I'm glad that I have become proficient enough to consistently top scoreboards so that I can effectively tell off all the sweaty players who demand that everyone 1v1 Honorable Duel in the middle of Frontline.

Glenn Quebec posted:

Nah they've intelligently made the decision that perks (except peasant which is the exception) don't effect loadout or efficacy of weapons.

And huntsman, but other than that agreed

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:
I seem to have entered the worst duel server in Mordhau. Top five guys have about 120+ kills and 10-15 deaths between them, and they're spazzing out and constantly using drags, so I'm learning nothing. Literally identical to chiv tryhards.

School Nickname fucked around with this message at 23:13 on May 8, 2019

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

light them on fire

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
whats wrong with using drags tho

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BombiTheZombie posted:

Not to be a sweaty fundenier or anything but shields are super unfun to play against. Especially if combined with a weapon like a rapier or short spear because you know exactly what is coming, faking them out is mostly a wash and trying to get behind them ends with you getting stabbed.

Its effective for sure, but plain frustrating to play against.

just kick then smash it's not that hard

School Nickname posted:

I seem to have entered the worst duel server in Mordhau. Top five guys have about 120+ kills and 10-15 deaths between them, and they're spazzing out and constantly using drags, so I'm learning nothing. Literally identical to chiv tryhards.

you're learning that you need to learn drags and learn how to counter drags apparently

eonwe posted:

whats wrong with using drags tho

everyone who beats me is cheating!!!11

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Join a different server. Sometimes World Star Champions all congregate on one so you run into issues where every other fight is a complete wash.

TracerBullet
Apr 26, 2003

Analyzing humor is like dissecting a frog. Few people are interested and the frog dies of it.

Doctor Rope
So does anyone know how to play actual songs on the lute?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Manually, hell no that thing is impossible to do anything but plink out basic tunes and make a bunch of noise.

There's the officially endorsed lute bot though.

TracerBullet
Apr 26, 2003

Doctor Rope

Babe Magnet posted:

Manually, hell no that thing is impossible to do anything but plink out basic tunes and make a bunch of noise.

There's the officially endorsed lute bot though.

Oh my God hell yes thank you. Looks like you have to find a good MIDI version of the song you want to play and 'tune' it from there. Everyone please add your best tracks.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Goddamn this loving game

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

TracerBullet posted:

Oh my God hell yes thank you. Looks like you have to find a good MIDI version of the song you want to play and 'tune' it from there. Everyone please add your best tracks.

getting a lot of mileage out of the mortal kombat theme

TracerBullet
Apr 26, 2003

Doctor Rope
I'm thinking Sandstorm or Harder Better Faster Stronger or Flight of the Valkeries

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Surely Flight of the Bumblebee after killing someone and escaping their teammates' vengeance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ritznit
Dec 19, 2012

I'm crackers for cheese.

Ultra Carp
Hakuna Matata sounds tempting.